Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th September 2011, 22:56   #466
BHPian

Default Re: Monsoons - Road Condition Update

Travelled on NH4 from Belgaum to Pune last night while getting back from Goa. The GQ in intact till the KA boarder, while the MH stretch has developed potholes in many places. It is worst near Satara and some of them are deep enough to give a bang on the suspension. It was raining and there was clogged water on the right lane at multiple places and ended up hydroplaning at least twice.
Btw, Amboli Ghat had a couple of landslides due to heavy rains even though it didn’t block the traffic.
CasperRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 23:41   #467
BHPian

On 1st Sept, 9 PM started from Pune for Gurgaon, 3rd Sept 2.30 AM in Gurgaon

NH 8 Road between Ghodbunder to Tandul Pada is in bad shape due to incessant rains. Only venture if you have a car with good illumination and not between major repairs

Tandul Pada to Manor though there are few bad stretches but overall quite smooth to drive

Rest of the way was a pleasure to drive. I am hearing off late unless very unlucky cops in Ahmedabad are not stopping for yellow strip. But what the heck, if you put the strip nearing Ahmedabad and remove it later, no harm, just saves the hassle!

Jaipur to Gurgaon is sane drivers nightmare, attempt it at night if you have rear-seat full of patience else, try timing your touchdown at 2.30 PM - 3 .00 PM in afternoon
Ushuaia is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 10:23   #468
BHPian

BHPians,

I am planning to travel from South Goa to Belgaum. I would appreciate your views on the route to take - both from the scenic aspect as well as the road condition.

Thanks in advance for this.

Mahesh
MaverikMahesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 13:03   #469
Senior - BHPian

Any update on the road condition after rains

a) Shirdi - Dhule - Indore

b) Indore - Bhopal - Chhattarpur

c) Chhattarpur - Jhansi - Kanpur - Lucknow

d) Lucknow - Faizabad - Jaunpur - Varanasi

e) Varanasi - Calcutta

f) Calcutta - Puri

g) Puri - Vizag
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 13:12   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
BHPians,

I am planning to travel from South Goa to Belgaum. I would appreciate your views on the route to take - both from the scenic aspect as well as the road condition.

Thanks in advance for this.

Mahesh
Mahesh,

Just look at Goa thread and you will get answers.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 16:43   #471
Senior - BHPian

Road between Pune and Bhimashankar via Rajgurunagar, Manchar is in bad condition due to rains. Most of the 120 KM stretch is in bad shape (except some part of the Pune Nasik highway.)

Last edited by S_U_N : 11th September 2011 at 16:46.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 19:11   #472
BHPian

Just 2 weeks ago we did Bangalore->Hassan->Belur->Chikmaglur->Sringeri->Agumbe->Sravanabelagola->Bangalore

The route taken:

Bangalore->Nelamangala - NH4 - Superb route
Nelamangala->Chikmaglur - NH48 - Most of the route was very good though it was single lane at times. However, there is a bad patch for about 2-5Kms when you take Hassan Bypass to Belur but it is manageable.

Route between Sringeri-Agumbe is okay but as soon as you approach Agumbe, the roads get real bad due to persistent rains. Need to be careful with dense fog which blocks visibility and brings down to almost zero visibility.
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 22:47   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
NH 8 Road between Ghodbunder to Tandul Pada is in bad shape due to incessant rains. Only venture if you have a car with good illumination and not between major repairs

Tandul Pada to Manor though there are few bad stretches but overall quite smooth to drive
How long do they usually take to fix this stretch after the rains?
I am planning to drive from Pune to Jaisalmer in 1st week of November and this stretch of the road gives me the jitters.

And do I need to put a yellow strip on the headlight when in Gujarat?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 13:06   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
How long do they usually take to fix this stretch after the rains?
I am planning to drive from Pune to Jaisalmer in 1st week of November and this stretch of the road gives me the jitters.

And do I need to put a yellow strip on the headlight when in Gujarat?
Chewbacca, Dont worry by November (If it doesnt rain beyond October) most of that stretch should be relaid, since most parts of this stretch are toll-roads, barring few stretches of 5 - 10 km's where there is no toll.

Whats the harm! I would suggest putting a sticker before Gujarat and removing it after you are back. Saves hassles!

Advice: You may want to time your exit around 8-9 PM so that you can cross Thane/Airoli without hitch, roads around here have become lot better than what they used to be. Well, if you got kids younger than 3 then it'll depend on their schedule.

Enjoy, and share your travelogue upon return!
Ushuaia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 14:07   #475
BHPian

Thanks Ushuaia!! This helps me to convince my wife about the road journey being safe. She easily gets sick with diesel fumes and uneven roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Advice: You may want to time your exit around 8-9 PM so that you can cross Thane/Airoli without hitch
I did not understand the above statement.
What is the best time to start from Pune to avoid the heavy vehicles traffic betweeen Ghodbunder and Surat? I would halt for the night either at Surat, Baroda or A'bad.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 17:10   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Thanks Ushuaia!! This helps me to convince my wife about the road journey being safe. She easily gets sick with diesel fumes and uneven roads.

I did not understand the above statement.
What is the best time to start from Pune to avoid the heavy vehicles traffic betweeen Ghodbunder and Surat? I would halt for the night either at Surat, Baroda or A'bad.
- Started at 8 PM from Satellite Towers
- Crossing city took about an hour till I hit expressway
- Exited expressway and entered Thane - Ghodbunder Stretch at about 11 PM
- I didn't experience much traffic, Truck drivers in this section till you cross Ahmedabad are most disciplined and since the roads a butter smooth you may not want to rest, but its up to you

Attaching an extract from HVK's logs, will turn mighty useful with handy numbers and directions of staying. Search for a thread with accommodation where HVK has suggested options of stay on this route.

Lemme know if you need any more info!!

- Nausea problem, try homeo, wife and daughter both have it, worked wonders for us!
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Routes MH-GJ-RJ-PB-JK-DL-UA-MP-MH-AP-KA.xlsx (36.0 KB, 456 views)
Ushuaia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 19:23   #477
BHPian

Any updates on road conditions currently on the karwar - udipi stretch along the NH17?? I plan to drive down from Panjim to Udipi this weekend!!
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 20:59   #478
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The North-South Corridor connecting Nagpur and Gwalior [NH 7/26/75] is in horrible condition. While many stretches have been completed with one carriage way of 2 lanes, the diversions are in shambles with full of craters. Navigating through the craters and slush mounds in Lakhnadon, Sagar and Jhansi towns even in the night is a nightmare. I shudder to think of the situation with local traffic added during peak day traffic. My Linea bottom-scraped as many as 21 times.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 10:45   #479
Senior - BHPian

Plan is for Kalpa, Sangla starting 1 Oct 2011. Has anybody done this route recently and have update on the road conditions, extent of landslides, any good route etc from Delhi? What can be covered for a week from Delhi?
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 10:54   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Plan is for Kalpa, Sangla starting 1 Oct 2011. Has anybody done this route recently and have update on the road conditions, extent of landslides, any good route etc from Delhi? What can be covered for a week from Delhi?
Lots of good and bad sections, worst being around Kufri, Karchcham, Powari.
Hopefully, roads will be repaired once rains stop by the time you travel.
Currently, thanks to heavy rainfall , landslides and dislocations are common.

In a week's trip from Delhi, you can cover Sarahan, Chitkul & Kalpa. If you cut out one of the 3, then maybe you can also cover Kaza.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote