Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd June 2008, 01:57   #1
BHPian

Default Bangalore to Periyar driving directions

Hi, I am planning a road trip to Periyar later this week along with my family. Can any of you give me the detailed route / driving directions. I will be staying at a place called Periyar House
chitbhanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

The straight forward route for you to reach would be Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Dindigul - Vatthalagundu - Periyakulam - Teni - Cumbam - Kumiliy (Thekkady). Alternatively you could reach Vattalagundu via Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Palani - Sembatti by taking a detour at Thoppur after Dharmapuri.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 16:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Take the Palani route, very scenic and also lesser traffic.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 16:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Mettur - Bhavani - Palani route is better and shorter. Salem - Namakkal - Karur has road work going on. I think you can go from Sembatti to Vathalagundu direct.

Ah.. Periyar House. Nice place to stay in. Its inside the sanctuary. Go for the night walk, 10 pm to 1 am. This can be arranged at the forest office near the boat jetty. I've done it sometime back.. its awesome. Watchout for leeches though they would give you canvas coverings for you foot.

Take the early morning walk through the forest and the first or last boat rides as there are more chances of sighting wildlife in the early morning or late evenings !! Never know with the monsoon though.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 21:11   #5
BHPian

Thanks everyone, i will do a quick check on the map and finalize my route. Any of you who have been on the Mettur - Bhavani - Palani route recently? Are the roads better / wider than the alternate route (the one that goes via Salem)? How much time am i likely to save on this route?
Old 24th June 2008, 14:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitbhanu View Post
Any of you who have been on the Mettur - Bhavani - Palani route recently? Are the roads better / wider than the alternate route (the one that goes via Salem)? How much time am i likely to save on this route?
I have been on the Mettur - Bhavani route and Thoppur - Salem - Karur recently (14th June).

Mettur - Bhavani is a better route with less traffic even though it is not wider. Bhavani - Perundurai on NH47 road widening is going on. So you need to careful.

I am sure Perundurai - Kangeyam is in good shape as it was never bad as I remember (I use it very often)

To go to Chembatti - take deviation after Dharapuram from Palani route towards Oddanchatram
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2008, 15:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yup, good point Blorebuddy. You need not go to Palani to go to Sembatti. The route is Dharapuram - Ottanchatram - Sembatti. Thats the route the bus guys take towards Madurai from Coimbatore/Tiruppur. Its shorter as Dharapuram - Palani - Ottanchatram is a roundabout.
Old 1st July 2008, 02:30   #8
BHPian

Hi All - I have completed my Periyar trip. Started from Bangalore (Sarjapur Rd) at 9.15 AM in a Diesel Innova, it was a weekday so took some time to cross Electronic city. Was surprised to find the A1 snacks stores attached to Reliance petrol pumps closed, guess most of them have been closed at least on NH7. Took my first break at a BPCL petrol pump close to Krishnagiri - nice small restaurant attached to the pump serving some good south indian dishes. Spotted a lot of road widening work happening all along on NH7 after krishnagiri. However even in the existing condition, the road is pliable and we cruised all along at 60-80 kmph. After crossing Dindigul, we took a right turn into a state highway which goes to Kodaikanal, Munnar and Kumily. The road to Kumily heads straight while as for the other 2 destinations, you need to take diversions in between. Close to Kumily, the road goes up on a hilly terrain for a good 5 to 10 Kms. Kumily is a small tourist town and is on the fringes of Periyar Sanctuary. We reached Periyar at 8 PM and checked into "Periyar house" which is a KTDC run resort inside the sanctuary.

On our return journey we took the same route. In case any of you need help with driving directions on this route or more information about Periyar, feel free to write to me.
Old 1st July 2008, 09:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

How were the roads between Salem and Dindigul? Is the road widening work happening/ over?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2008, 21:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Also how's Periyar House these days. Been a while since I went there? Its the monsoon, did you spot any animals on the boat ride? Went for a walk into the forest??
Old 5th July 2008, 10:26   #11
BHPian

Hi Kumar - Road widening is still on and should be over only after 4-5 months. NH7 was quite driveable all through, despite the 'widening' work. Only 2 lanes on one side of the road divider were open for traffic, however those 2 lanes were broad enough and i was able to cruise comfortably at 60-80 kmph all through. Once the entire work is over this road should become a dream for highway drivers :-)
Old 5th July 2008, 10:45   #12
BHPian

Hi Csentil - Periyar house continues to be a cosy and extremely clean low budget resort, as you know its based inside the sanctuary, which makes it unique. Anybody who wants to stay close to nature and is not extremely keen on luxury or frills - can choose this resort.
We did the early morning boat ride, it was raining intermittently and we could only see some wild boars and deers. We also did the night jungle trek, it was a nice experience though we didnt see any animals. Lots of leaches crawled up our legs, thankfully the KTDC people had given us leach protection socks which saved us to a large extent. I am planning to go back to Periyar in Feb - March next year and this time will go for the full day safari (40 kms inside the forest) or 2 day camping inside the forest.
Old 30th August 2008, 13:30   #13
BHPian

Hi,

Can the experts please help me with the routemap of Periyar - Mysore please? From the maps, I could think of
1. Periyar - Kottayam - Palakkad - Coimbatore - Sathy - Mysore and
2. Periyar - Kottayam - Thrissur - Nilambur - Mysore

What is the approx distance of these two routes and which is preferred (for a drive in Oct'08)?

Thanks,
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 15:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,

Can the experts please help me with the routemap of Periyar - Mysore please? From the maps, I could think of
1. Periyar - Kottayam - Palakkad - Coimbatore - Sathy - Mysore and
2. Periyar - Kottayam - Thrissur - Nilambur - Mysore

What is the approx distance of these two routes and which is preferred (for a drive in Oct'08)?

Thanks,
Kottayam - Trichur - Perinthalmanna - Nilambur - Gudalur - Gundulpet - Mysore would be the better option, option 1 is in my opinion roundabout. The roads are decent between Trichur and Gundlupet except for the stretch between Bandipur park entrance and Gundlupet.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 19:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Route 1:

Thekkady/Kumili-Peeremade 36-Kanjirapalli 42-Kottayam 38-Perumbavoor 60-Angamali 20-Trissur bypass 34-Palakkad 70-Coimbatore 40-Sathy 65-Bannari 13-Hassanur 26-Chamarajnagar 40-Nanjangud 40-Mysore 20

Route 2:

Thekkady/Kumili-Peeremade 36-Kanjirapalli 42-Kottayam 38-Perumbavoor 60-Angamali 20-Trissur 45-Kunnamkulam 30-Edappal 25-Perinthalmanna 40-Pandikkad 20-Nilambur 30-Nadugani 37-Gudalur 10-Mudumalai 20-Bandipur 13-Gundulpet 20-Nanjangud 40-Mysore 20

I like Route 2: no problems navigating Coimbaore city, lovely ghat roads in Nilambur, wildlife sightings in Mudumalai-Bandipur, and good roads.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote