Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 00:09   #151
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555
not sure on the direct stretch from GQ to kodai road, ideal should be trichy - dindugal bypass and kodai road, did this road last month, 4 laning almost over.
Hi RF J555 and folks

Here's an update and if I dare say, suggestion:

From Kodaikanal, drive past Batlagundu and instead of taking the left at the "T" junction after the Batlagundu junction, head straight towards Kodai Road railway station. Once you go past the station (within 1.5 km), you will join a 4 lane road which is basically Madurai- Dindigul- Manapparai - Trichy. There is a toll plaza at the point that connects the SH from Kodai Rd station to this 4 lane highway.

Awesome stretch and given the work happening between Dindigul and Batlagundu, this is a much better option.

If you're traveling from Madras to Kodaikanal, this route will save you about 30 min and give you a better drive. It is easy to spot the diversion to Kodai Rd (2nd toll plaza after you exit Trichy)

Cheers

Road Tripper
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 06:33   #152
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

To avoid Krishnagiri-Bangalore section you can also try :

Dharmapuri-Palacode-Rayakottai-Kelamangalam-Attebele (on NH7 before electronic city)
Route Link
Thanks again Ampere. I stuck to the regular approach. However, wanted to know about the road quality in the stretch you'd recommended and the time it could help me save (the next time).

Cheers

Road Tripper
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 06:37   #153
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,769
Thanked: 7,436 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Thanks again Ampere. I stuck to the regular approach. However, wanted to know about the road quality in the stretch you'd recommended and the time it could help me save (the next time).

As I hear the 6 laning continues and is nearing completion. So barring for traffic and tolls, roads and diversions per se should not be a problem on the main 4-lane.
This alternate route goes through villages and hence you may not be able to zip through. But you can I think maintain speeds like 60-80 constantly. There is absolutely very little traffic and also this is a scenic route. So what it mainly helps is avoid the bulk traffic and crossing Hosur/Krishnagiri.

I suspect you may not save much time, but more importantly it may be a hassle free drive. Again since I have myself not done it end to end, cannot say that conclusively.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 12:13   #154
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 835
Thanked: 421 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
In January there were still patches with no roads in between.No markings done yet.Same is the case between Vathalakundu and the turn off to Kodai,wide road and suddenly you come up on a mud section.
If its that unpredictable, it is worth going via Palani. Dindigul-Palani is a dream run (except for 5 broken rail crossings) its a wide 2-lane with shoulders. Palani-Kodai is pretty good, less trafficked compared to Vathalagundu route. Going via Palani will add about 15 km more.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 12:48   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,416
Thanked: 1,536 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80

If its that unpredictable, it is worth going via Palani. Dindigul-Palani is a dream run (except for 5 broken rail crossings) its a wide 2-lane with shoulders. Palani-Kodai is pretty good, less trafficked compared to Vathalagundu route. Going via Palani will add about 15 km more.
But I found the Palani-Kodai ghat sections to be broken and quite rough at many sections as opposed to the vatalakundu route where the road surface is/was excellent
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 00:14   #156
BHPian
 
swiftdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EDI/CDG/MAA/SIN
Posts: 748
Thanked: 762 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Was at Theni last week. Dindugul-Bathlagundu stretch still being laid, so best avoided. Anyone wanting to reach Dindigul from Kodaikanal, the best route is Kodai-Bathlagundu ( continue going straight at that intersection)-Kodai Road-Dindigul. Periyakulam - Bathlagundu stretch is complete and the roads are excellent. The turn to Kodai is unmarked, so those going to Kodai, watch out for the right turn (adjacent to an Indian Oil petrol station).
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 11:12   #157
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel
Was at Theni last week. Dindugul-Bathlagundu stretch still being laid, so best avoided. Anyone wanting to reach Dindigul from Kodaikanal, the best route is Kodai-Bathlagundu ( continue going straight at that intersection)-Kodai Road-Dindigul. Periyakulam - Bathlagundu stretch is complete and the roads are excellent. The turn to Kodai is unmarked, so those going to Kodai, watch out for the right turn (adjacent to an Indian Oil petrol station).
Hi All
I may be heading to Kodaikanal this weekend.
Wanted to check on the following:
1. Is the Trichy outskirts part of the highway to Dindigul via Manapparai done?
2. In March, I took the Dindigul Batlagundu SH. It was still WIP and 3-4 stretches were bad. On the way back I took Kodai Rd and joined the 4 lane highway after Kodai Rd back to Trichy (via Dindigul and Manapparai).
3. The ghat road was in poor condition after the first 5-6 km until a few km leading to Oothu (fruit town). Any updates on th
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 11:13   #158
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel
Was at Theni last week. Dindugul-Bathlagundu stretch still being laid, so best avoided. Anyone wanting to reach Dindigul from Kodaikanal, the best route is Kodai-Bathlagundu ( continue going straight at that intersection)-Kodai Road-Dindigul. Periyakulam - Bathlagundu stretch is complete and the roads are excellent. The turn to Kodai is unmarked, so those going to Kodai, watch out for the right turn (adjacent to an Indian Oil petrol station).
Hi All
I may be heading to Kodaikanal this weekend.
Wanted to check on the following:
1. Is the Trichy outskirts part of the highway to Dindigul via Manapparai done?
2. In March, I took the Dindigul Batlagundu SH. It was still WIP and 3-4 stretches were bad. On the way back I took Kodai Rd and joined the 4 lane highway after Kodai Rd back to Trichy (via Dindigul and Manapparai).
3. The ghat road was in poor condition after the first 5-6 km until a few km leading to Oothu (fruit town). Any updates on the condition now?
4. Advice/ updates on the Tambaram-Trichy NH stretch.

Please share your inputs. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers
Road Tripper
RoadTripper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 14:58   #159
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Hi All
I may be heading to Kodaikanal this weekend.
Wanted to check on the following:
1. Is the Trichy outskirts part of the highway to Dindigul via Manapparai done?
2. In March, I took the Dindigul Batlagundu SH. It was still WIP and 3-4 stretches were bad. On the way back I took Kodai Rd and joined the 4 lane highway after Kodai Rd back to Trichy (via Dindigul and Manapparai).
3. The ghat road was in poor condition after the first 5-6 km until a few km leading to Oothu (fruit town). Any updates on the condition now?
4. Advice/ updates on the Tambaram-Trichy NH stretch.

Please share your inputs. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers
Road Tripper
Hi Road Tripper/ All,

Planning a trip to Kodai this weekend. Any update on the road conditions from your last trip. Of the two routes "Dindigul Batlagundu SH" and Kodai Rd -4 lane highway , which was better.

Please share,
Thanks,

Santosh
sukkur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 15:36   #160
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukkur View Post

Hi Road Tripper/ All,

Planning a trip to Kodai this weekend. Any update on the road conditions from your last trip. Of the two routes "Dindigul Batlagundu SH" and Kodai Rd -4 lane highway , which was better.

Please share,
Thanks,

Santosh
Hi Santosh
Not sure if this update is useful now. I would suggest that you continue past Dindigul on the 4 lane highway and get off at Kodai road. I prefer this to the Dindigul-Batlagundu route, found this faster and less traffic. The road from Kodai Rd to Kodaikanal is in good condition, just watch out for a couple of patches and small deviations from the carriageway.

Cheers
Road Tripper
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 15:38   #161
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,769
Thanked: 7,436 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Hi Santosh
Not sure if this update is useful now. I would suggest that you continue past Dindigul on the 4 lane highway and get off at Kodai road. I prefer this to the Dindigul-Batlagundu route, found this faster and less traffic. The road from Kodai Rd to Kodaikanal is in good condition, just watch out for a couple of patches and small deviations from the carriageway.
Is Dindigul-Batlagundu a 4-lane? I thought its wide 2-lane. Can you confirm this ?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 17:12   #162
BHPian
 
luvurride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 484
Thanked: 259 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is Dindigul-Batlagundu a 4-lane? I thought its wide 2-lane. Can you confirm this ?
I think he is referring to continue with the 4-lane from Dindigul and get off at Kodai Road to join back at Batlagundu - as mentioned by @RoadTripper some posts above.
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 17:31   #163
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,769
Thanked: 7,436 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I think he is referring to continue with the 4-lane from Dindigul and get off at Kodai Road to join back at Batlagundu - as mentioned by @RoadTripper some posts above.
Sorry. Missed it. Its the 4-lane indeed. But I think now that the road is good, one may not not that detour.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 10:34   #164
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Sorry. Missed it. Its the 4-lane indeed. But I think now that the road is good, one may not not that detour.
Hi Ampere

I agree continuing on the 4 lane stretch is definitely longer from a distance point of view. However, by exiting off Kodai Rd Toll Plaza after Dindigul, the advantage is that you cover more distance faster and you get to delay the inevitable a bit (SH driving).
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 13:35   #165
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,769
Thanked: 7,436 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripper View Post
Hi Ampere

I agree continuing on the 4 lane stretch is definitely longer from a distance point of view. However, by exiting off Kodai Rd Toll Plaza after Dindigul, the advantage is that you cover more distance faster and you get to delay the inevitable a bit (SH driving).
I think its a wide 2-lane. And its a NH45 and not SH. Though I have not driven recently, so I cant comment on how heavy is the traffic.
Of course as you said the 4-lane option is quite smooth too.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chennai - Dhanushkodi - Kodaikanal - Chennai VIP143 Route / Travel Queries 10 12th April 2013 23:16
Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries sumannandy Route / Travel Queries 49 12th October 2012 16:06
Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai route queries jeevmenon Route / Travel Queries 69 8th February 2012 12:04
Did this last weekend - Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Kodaikanal-Madurai-Trichy-Chennai srikanthpotluri Route / Travel Queries 2 2nd November 2011 02:20
Chennai-Rameswaram-Kodaikanal-Chennai ram2004 Travelogues 25 9th February 2011 10:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks