Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st April 2015, 15:20   #181
BHPian

Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Had a query regarding navigating Trichy town for going to Dindigul. Last time I took this route, had a tough time due to some overbridge construction. Is there any way to avoid this section ?

Google maps shows a different route which takes me throug Viralimala and then on to Manapparai.
Is this better when compared to navigating through Trichy town ?
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 15:32   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Had a query regarding navigating Trichy town for going to Dindigul. Last time I took this route, had a tough time due to some overbridge construction. Is there any way to avoid this section ?

Google maps shows a different route which takes me throug Viralimala and then on to Manapparai.
IN the Trichy bypass, at this point, https://goo.gl/maps/19uP6 the road towards Madurai via Viralimalai takes the flyover. Keep below the flyover to go to Dindigul on NH45
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2015, 15:34   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post

I think once you cross the Madurai exit, its quite clean. Maybe regulars can comment better. But as per its mostly done and it should not be a problem.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 11:48   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
IN the Trichy bypass, at this point, https://goo.gl/maps/19uP6 the road towards Madurai via Viralimalai takes the flyover. Keep below the flyover to go to Dindigul on NH45
I took this route last week to Palani.It goes through the City a bit via Railway Station (or Bus Station am not too sure) and Sangeetha Hotel before you hit the Manapparai-Dindugal road (which after a few kms inside Trichy becomes a fully functional 4 lane road) which is in excellent condition.The Overbridge Construction is still not complete but the roads are drivable though with one or two craters.

Last edited by ramanak : 2nd April 2015 at 11:52.
ramanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2015, 12:39   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
I took this route last week to Palani.It goes through the City a bit via Railway Station (or Bus Station am not too sure) and Sangeetha Hotel before you hit the Manapparai-Dindugal road
The Dindigul road branches off (left) immediately after the Trichy junction bridge on NH45. You have to take a right at the roundabout to get to Main Bus Stand and Sangeethas.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 14:53   #186
BHPian

I too missed the exit from the flyovers once while going to Kodai. So keep a look out for Jamal Mohammad College on the left. Once you cross it, take the next available exit from the highway and go underneath. After that as, mentioned above its quite easy to navigate through the city.
misguidedmisile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 00:24   #187
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Did Chennai -> Trichy -> Dindigul -> Batlagundu -> Kodaikanal on Apr 24. Started from Vandalur, Chennai at 5:20AM, reached Kodaikanal at 1:20PM (500KMs).

Chennai - Trichy is one of the best stretches I have done in South India so far. Tarmac is perfect black and smooth and you feel like your vehicle is sliding. Moderate traffic which moves quite fast.

Failry easy to Bypass Trichy for Chennai - Madurai. But if you are doing Chennai - Dindigul, it's highly likely that you'll miss the turn. The bypassing flyovers were so smooth that I just kept on driving. I used a village road to get back to NH45 from NH45B (to Madurai). Road was typical village road. Lots of potholes and 1.25 lanes wide. I didn't go back to Trichy since the village road was only 4 KMs and was quite manageable. It does have a railway level crossing though.

Name:  Screenshot20160430000521EQ_w1Rk6.png
Views: 506
Size:  250.3 KB
Village road connecting NH45-NH45B.

Trichy - Dindigul is like NH-7/NH-44. Perfect tarmac but no traffic.

Road from Dindigul to the Kodaikanal turn is two lanes with paved shoulders. On this stretch, everyone drives like crazy fast, so be careful. Batlagundu still doesn't have a bypass and takes 10 minutes to cross. Work is in progress for bypass.

Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries-screenshot20160430001947xiagzv76.png
Batlagundu Bypass

TN SH-156 all the way to Kodaikanal is of fair quality. Broken only at a few places.
bordeaux is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 15:19   #188
BHPian

Default Re: Awesome Weekend breakout : Drive from Chennai to Kodaikanal

I am planning to drive from Chennai to Kodaikanal via Dindigul this September. Can anyone please inform about the weather conditions in the month of September.
MDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2016, 08:57   #189
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Awesome Weekend breakout : Drive from Chennai to Kodaikanal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
I am planning to drive from Chennai to Kodaikanal via Dindigul this September. Can anyone please inform about the weather conditions in the month of September.
Please do keep tabs on this Bangalore-Kodai thread as well for more info.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...nkanni-12.html
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote