Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2012, 14:23   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,808
Thanked: 206 Times
Default

Any status update on the route? Has the laning been completed?

Any suggestions on stay? Mid and upper range preferred.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 10:26   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 457
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any status update on the route? Has the laning been completed?
Yup. Its been completed.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2012, 15:50   #108
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Any status update on the route? Has the laning been completed?

Any suggestions on stay? Mid and upper range preferred.
The full four lane has been functional for quite some time. The only thing is getting on to this four lane at Trichy.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 12:56   #109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 50
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any status update on the route? Has the laning been completed?

Any suggestions on stay? Mid and upper range preferred.
Hi....

I'm not sure if I'm really late in suggesting, though I'd still go ahead....

Mid range - Kodai International (please ask them for a "preview" of the rooms coz the entire hotel was undergoing renovation a year back), food is below par (breakfast is decent) though you have lot of options outside (at the heart of town), the place is nice for kids and elders - lots of playing/ walking area, service is reasonable. I've stayed here a couple of times and it's neither been "WOW" nor "OOPS"

You could even try out Villa Retreat - I've never stayed there, but been wanting to.... It's at a nice location and awesome view of the valley, though I heard that service is slow, well if you're on holiday, not sure if that's much of a concern. I heard that they've again carried out a major renovation.

Upper range - Carlton, nice location (lake facing), food is good, again, haven't stayed here.

Have a nice trip!
RoadTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 12:14   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,210
Thanked: 777 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Hello Guys,

Has anyone done the Batlagundu-Kodaikanal and Palani-Kodaikanal recently? Can you please update both the road conditions here?

Thanks.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 22:48   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,210
Thanked: 777 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Any input on my query guys? I think, finally I will update this thread with the status after doing both the roads this weekend .
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 23:14   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
navan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 1,010
Thanked: 68 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Planning for a week long trip to the following places. Any suggestions on the sequence of the travel by a car with myself as driver and two of my friends as passengers in my RITZ VDI ABS. Places of interest are
Mahabalipuram, Pondicherry, Trichy, Tanjore, Rameswaram,Madurai,
Kanya Kumari, Kodaikanal, Dindigul, Trichy, Chennai and Tirupati. It is a must to come back to Chennai before going to Tirupati. Please help me to finalize the route and update the road conditions.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 23:29   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,210
Thanked: 777 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Planning for a week long trip to the following places. Any suggestions on the sequence of the travel by a car with myself as driver and two of my friends as passengers in my RITZ VDI ABS. Places of interest are
Mahabalipuram, Pondicherry, Trichy, Tanjore, Rameswaram,Madurai,
Kanya Kumari, Kodaikanal, Dindigul, Trichy, Chennai and Tirupati. It is a must to come back to Chennai before going to Tirupati. Please help me to finalize the route and update the road conditions.
I suggest doing in the following order.

Chennai-Mahabs-Pondy-Chidambaram-Tanjore-Pudukottai-Karaikudi-Ramnad-Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari-Madurai-kodai-Dindigul-Trichy-Chennai.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:42   #114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Any recent experience from chennai to dindigul? how long does it take? Road, traffic conditions, Specific things to do and avoid?

Planning for a week day travel starting mid day post lunch from chennai.

Any pointers to other recent thread would also help.
Vizay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:33   #115
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Any pointers to other recent thread would also help.
Chennai-Dindigul is full 4-lane (via Trichy). Just that you need to be on the look out
for board to Dindigul while crossing Trichy (Its fairly straightforward though)

http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...sz=14&t=m&z=13

Last edited by ampere : 23rd May 2012 at 20:35.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 09:53   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Chennai-Dindigul is full 4-lane (via Trichy). Just that you need to be on the look out
for board to Dindigul while crossing Trichy (Its fairly straightforward though)

Tiruchi - Chennai Hwy/NH 38 to Trichy - Madurai Hwy/NH 38 - Google Maps
Thanks mate.
I was looking for any feedback on Traffic by mid day to evening in this route.

btw, your map reference shows route to Madurai. For dindigul, it's slightly right without entering the bridge to Madurai H.Way.
Vizay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 10:13   #117
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,457 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Thanks mate.
I was looking for any feedback on Traffic by mid day to evening in this route.

btw, your map reference shows route to Madurai. For dindigul, it's slightly right without entering the bridge to Madurai H.Way.
Thank Vizay for that correction. Yes I wrongly put Madurai. Sorry for that.

Traffic is very minimal beyond Trichy. I think its only the Chennai-Trichy section which is quite heavy.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 10:44   #118
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 837
Thanked: 422 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Thanks mate.
I was looking for any feedback on Traffic by mid day to evening in this route.
What time are you planning to leave Madras ? Best to leave before 330, you can cross Trichy about 8. You'll be in Dindigul 9-930.

The traffic is mostly before Melmaruvathur/Tindivanam, once you cross that its pretty much smooth sailing till TVS tollgate. TVS tollgate-4 lane start would take anywhere between 15-45 min depending on time you cross. Its again smooth sailing after that, be wary of wrong siders on Trichy-Dindigul stretch.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 11:22   #119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
What time are you planning to leave Madras ? Best to leave before 330, you can cross Trichy about 8. You'll be in Dindigul 9-930.

The traffic is mostly before Melmaruvathur/Tindivanam, once you cross that its pretty much smooth sailing till TVS tollgate. TVS tollgate-4 lane start would take anywhere between 15-45 min depending on time you cross. Its again smooth sailing after that, be wary of wrong siders on Trichy-Dindigul stretch.
Thanks mate. But I am planning to start at 1330 hrs on a weekday as said in my first post here.

Mid day travel and trying to cross Trichy before evening traffic becomes heavy. And reach Dindigul for Dinner.
Even at this time frame, I hope 7 hrs should be enough time to plan for. Right?

(Driven chennai - bangalore many times averaging 6 hrs. But new to this route)
Vizay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 16:02   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default re: Chennai - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizay View Post
Thanks mate. But I am planning to start at 1330 hrs on a weekday as said in my first post here.

Mid day travel and trying to cross Trichy before evening traffic becomes heavy. And reach Dindigul for Dinner.
Even at this time frame, I hope 7 hrs should be enough time to plan for. Right?

(Driven chennai - bangalore many times averaging 6 hrs. But new to this route)
If you are starting at around 1:30 PMfrom Chennai, you should be able to reach Trichy comfortably at around 6:30 PM. Passing Trichy byepass would be an issue but you should be able to reach Dindigul at around 8:00 PM without any difficulties.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chennai - Dhanushkodi - Kodaikanal - Chennai VIP143 Route / Travel Queries 10 12th April 2013 23:16
Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries sumannandy Route / Travel Queries 49 12th October 2012 16:06
Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai route queries jeevmenon Route / Travel Queries 69 8th February 2012 12:04
Did this last weekend - Chennai-Trichy-Dindigul-Kodaikanal-Madurai-Trichy-Chennai srikanthpotluri Route / Travel Queries 2 2nd November 2011 02:20
Chennai-Rameswaram-Kodaikanal-Chennai ram2004 Travelogues 25 9th February 2011 10:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks