Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd July 2008, 00:29   #1
BHPian

Default Trichur to GOA with a Nightstop-Route Query

Got a chance next weekend to drive upto GOA from Trissur

A. Plan is to start Saturday early morning, say 4 O'clock and drive nonstop and reach GOA by Midnight.This could be done,only if the roads are descent all the way upto Madgaon

B. Plan is to start Saturday, not so early in the morning, drive relaxed,sipping in the scenic although not very well-paved route and have a midnight stopover at some place (is Hampi on the way? or Jog falls, for that matter? the Konkan coast is not much familiar to me, after all. ) Start on sunday morning and reach Madgaon by After noon. This is important because My friend's return train is at 4-o'clock sunday evening.

Which of the two plans would be advisable?We would be three Guys and the car a Fiat PALIO 1.2 Sport 2002. Two of us are capable, experienced and safe drivers. So Plan A is not a problem, but the aim of the trip is to enjoy the road trip and not GOA. If you suggest plan B, where to plan the stopover? Hampi/Jog Falls is just suggestive only, and More Knowledgeable BHPIANs pls suggest some place for stay.

Another plan-C do exist, which would be to take a detour to some place during saturday (day) Drive all night and reach Goa sunday early morning, which appears pretty stupid to myself. But still, options are open.

Sorry for the rather confusing post,Another sign that we do require help......very badly. but guys do help, and advise me on any of the above plans (even more options,if open are welcome..) And in case Plan B/C is advisable, tell me where to stopover.

What about road condition? It is NH-17 all the way Right? Which are all the major towns we'll cross?

Thanks in advance....

Last edited by aravindwarrier : 3rd July 2008 at 00:40.
aravindwarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 02:44   #2
BANNED

Hey! That's some lucky piece of driving man!

Let me put some of my ABC recommendations here.
A. Leave Trissur early morning. Drive in a relaxed manner enjoying the day break, sea, rains etc.. Try and pass Bhatkal atleast on that day. Call it a night when you meet it. Stop and catch the nearest Hotel/Lodge/Dormitory/your car seats for a peaceful sleep. Get up as early as possible and continue driving. You should be in Goa by 10-11am or so. Have some good food and little fun before you catch the 4pm train.

B. This is some planned version of the above.
Leave Trissur by 4am. Reach Kannur by 7am. Kasargod by 8.30am. Mangalore by 9.30am. Breakfast.
Pass Udupi section (you don't have to go anywhere near the town) by 11.30am. Bhatkal by 2.00pm. Lunch.
Get on to Karwar section by 5pm or so. Stop in Karwar town or any town after that by 7-8pm. Get to that hotel Samurai san is going to suggest here. Stretch, unwind, eat and sleep.
5am is good to hit the roads again. There're some towns with some good local cuisine as soon you enter Goa state. Pause and have some of it and reach Madgaon by 9am or so.
4pm is the train na? There're lots of action hidden.

C. Naaah! The continuos, one stretch driving sounds a bit too much.

D. Sh.... Sh... Sh.. It can be fun too. Leave early from Trissur and stop at every interesting place you see on the way. Kapad beach, Muzhappilangad drive-in beach, Bekal fort, Malpe beach, Devbagh, Karwar etc.. There're many places you can choose to stop enroute until it gets too late. Pull in some Redbulls and whoosh! Next stop, Goa.
Sounds interesting?

E. Leave Trissur early in the morning and drive all the way to Bangalore and then Goa. Why? Simply! You guys wanna drive. Ain't it.
Make sure you don't get into the city by any chance. You won't come out from the traffic blocks till another weekend.

That's all I should say I think. Before I get pushed off, let me request you to post a detailed travelogue with pictures to accompany. Don't put excuses like I don't have a digital camera, I don't know how to take pictures, dunno how to post, memory card was full, battery was empty kind.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 07:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post

Hey! That's some lucky piece of driving man!

Thanks. I'm also pretty excited

Let me put some of my ABC recommendations here
A. Leave Trissur early morning. .................................................. . Have some good food and little fun before you catch the 4pm train.

B. This is some planned version of the above.
Leave Trissur by 4am. Reach Kannur by 7am. Kasargod by 8.30am. Mangalore by 9.30am. Breakfast.
Pass Udupi section (you don't have to go anywhere near the town) by 11.30am. Bhatkal by 2.00pm. Lunch.
Get on to Karwar section by 5pm or so. Stop in Karwar town or any town after that by 7-8pm. Get to that hotel Samurai san is going to suggest here. Stretch, unwind, eat and sleep.
5am is good to hit the roads again. There're some towns with some good local cuisine as soon you enter Goa state. Pause and have some of it and reach Madgaon by 9am or so.

What is there in Bhatkal or kaarwar to see/enjoy? The point is we have been to GOA earlier and will be frequenting the place now(not always by road on a car). So this time the focus is to enjoy the trip rather than destination.

C. Naaah! The continuos, one stretch driving sounds a bit too much.

As I said,we are two drivers, and will be driving a max of 400 k each,which is not at all difficult, considering we have done greater distances (even on bikes ) non-stop

D. Sh.... Sh... Sh.. It can be fun too. Leave early from Trissur and stop at every interesting place you see on the way. Kapad beach, Muzhappilangad drive-in beach, Bekal fort, Malpe beach, Devbagh, Karwar etc.. There're many places you can choose to stop enroute until it gets too late. Pull in some Redbulls and whoosh! Next stop, Goa.
Sounds interesting?

This is THE suggestion I was looking for. Can you (or any body ) elaborate a bit more?

E. Leave Trissur early in the morning and drive all the way to Bangalore and then Goa. Why? Simply! You guys wanna drive. Ain't it.
Make sure you don't get into the city by any chance. You won't come out from the traffic blocks till another weekend.

I'am not sure of this? Won't this be significant detour? Are the roads better this way? Pls explain.

That's all I should say I think. Before I get pushed off, let me request you to post a detailed travelogue with pictures to accompany. Don't put excuses like I don't have a digital camera, I don't know how to take pictures, dunno how to post, memory card was full, battery was empty kind.

A detailed traveloge is a sure thing**Committed** But help me plan the trip and encounter some exciting (exotic?) experiences/locales while I am at it, to share with you guys, which will make the whole thing althemore interesting. Thank you for the reply.

And if anybody has any doubt about why this pointles trip,the reason is that my Dad had to relocate to GOA last week,and the company gave him to options to take the car down there:

1. Truck /Train (shipping though an option,will attract funny comments here) the car from TCR to GOA
2. Send it with a company driver.

Needless to mention, it took me considerable coaxing, persuading, cajoling, and emotional blackmailing to the point of threatening to veto out the two options,and let me drive the whole way. So finally we (me and two of my college friends) get to drive the palio all the way from TCR to GOA. Now to make the best out of the trip is what i need help from u guys,

Hoping for detailed Route Suggestions,
Bye.

Last edited by aravindwarrier : 3rd July 2008 at 07:45.
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Leaving Trissur as early as possible is avisable to avoid the congestion on the roads between Kozhikode and Kannur.

You can add to the list of places:
Kollur - Mookambika Temple, a detour of 27 kms (and back) from Baindur
Maravanthe Beach - immediately after crossing Kundapura
Murudeshwar - temple, excellent place to stay overnight
Gokarna - Om Beach is nearby, comes after Kumta

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS South India, Jan 2005

Please check the above link for the Trissur-Goa route, with detours to Kollur.

http://hvkumar.googlepages.com/kumar...ast2cape2coast,

Please check the above link for another driving plan via Chavakkad (near Trissur) along the coast to Goa, with detours ot Murueshwar and Gokarna.

Road is being widened between Mangalore an Udupi, expect slow movement in that section.

Hampi is not in this route.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:01   #5
BHPian

@HVK Thank you for the inputs , but the second link is not working.

NH 17 within kerala is trifle a bit narrow to make good progress. And in early mornings, it is full of cyclists/Mean-80s carrying fish, which makes maintaining good speeds even more difficult.Moreover, I have to Pickup up someone at Edapal, so Chavakkad route,I do not plan to take.

How many hours it might take,non stop from TCR to Madgaon? Just a rough approx, considering current road conditions?
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have attached 2 log files:

- Udupi-Bombay on NH17 via Goa

- Coast 2 Cape 2 Coast, which has route from Edappal to Goa.

Time taken depends on your speed, of course. I would reach Goa be evening, as you can see from the log books. But since you want to have a relaxed drive, I would agree that good places to stay overnight are Udupi, Kundapura, Maravanthe, Murudeshwara, Kumta, Gokarna - lots of hotels to stay in these places, keep a flexible schedule. Allow for at least 6 hours to drive from Udupi to Madgaon without any stops.
Attached Files
File Type: xls BombayUdupi-Mar2007.xls (39.0 KB, 238 views)
File Type: xls c2c2c.xls (256.0 KB, 1220 views)
Old 3rd July 2008, 13:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

You've got some good suggestions. I'd suggest the following:

1. Leave Trichur very early in the morning, say 4.30 am - helps you beat the traffic rush not just in Trichur, but more importantly when you cross Calicut. You can cross Kannur by about 8/8.30 am depdning on how you drive. Stop at Nalanda Resort outside Neeleswaram for Breakfast (9.30 am).

2. After breakfast, drive on till Udupi/Kundapura. Next stop for a late lunch at Turtle Bay, Maravanthe.

3. Stop at Gokarna or push on till Karwar, stop over.

4. You should be in Madgaon by late morning if you leave early the next day.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 17:14   #8
BHPian

@ HVK: Thanks a ton.that c2c2c Log had everything I wanted.Based on that, I have formed my plan.Pls correct me, if I am overambitious at any stretch as I dont know the road condition, and just assumed an average speed of 45~55 KMPH.

This is the plan: A- Without a Night halt
5:00 AM Reach Kuttipuram Reset odo@
8:00 AM Reach Mahe,Fill the tank, Have some breakfast 150 Km
12:00 PM Stop at Bakel fort; spend an hour there 268 Km
4:00 PM Udupi; have lunch 394 Km
6:00 PM Maravanthe beach spend an hour, have a dip. 448 Km
11:00 PM Gokarna have Supper 591 Km
2:00 AM Madgaon 760 Km

Distances taken from HVK's log.
In this plan, we will visit the bakel fort, and Spend an hour at Maravanthe Beach. Btw, how is the beach? Is it good enough to get wet? Any spectacular/must see place which I might miss , planning this way?
If I want to have a night halt(ie Plan -B), would it be better at Maravanthe or at Gokarna?

Last edited by aravindwarrier : 3rd July 2008 at 17:29.
Old 3rd July 2008, 21:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You've got some good suggestions. I'd suggest the following:

1. Leave Trichur very early in the morning, say 4.30 am - helps you beat the traffic rush not just in Trichur, but more importantly when you cross Calicut. You can cross Kannur by about 8/8.30 am depdning on how you drive. Stop at Nalanda Resort outside Neeleswaram for Breakfast (9.30 am).

Anything special about the Resort or the food, steer?

2. After breakfast, drive on till Udupi/Kundapura. Next stop for a late lunch at Turtle Bay, Maravanthe.

We want to have a go at the Bakel fort. So will it be possible for me to make it on time at Maravanthe?

3. Stop at Gokarna or push on till Karwar, stop over.

I guess I'd take to that suggestion. Which would be better for a stopover? Maravanthe/Gokarna/Karwar ?

4. You should be in Madgaon by late morning if you leave early the next day.

This is the plan: B- With a Night halt @ Gokarna
8:00 AM Reach Mahe,Fill the tank, Have some breakfast 150
12:00 PM Stop at Bakel fort; spend an hour there 268
4:00 PM Udupi; have lunch 394
6:00 PM Maravanthe beach spend an hour, have a dip. 448
11:00 PM Gokarna: Spend the Night 591
5:00 AM Start early morning from Gokarna.
6:30 AM Karwar 660
8:30 AM Madgaon 760

I guess this would be better. What says?
Old 3rd July 2008, 21:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post
This is the plan: B- With a Night halt @ Gokarna
8:00 AM Reach Mahe,Fill the tank, Have some breakfast 150
12:00 PM Stop at Bakel fort; spend an hour there 268
4:00 PM Udupi; have lunch 394
6:00 PM Maravanthe beach spend an hour, have a dip. 448
11:00 PM Gokarna: Spend the Night 591
5:00 AM Start early morning from Gokarna.
6:30 AM Karwar 660
8:30 AM Madgaon 760

I guess this would be better. What says?
Some issues here:

1. Dont feel tank at Mahe. It may be cheaper, but you often get adultrated stuff as well.

2. 12 pm stop at Bekal is a very bad idea. No shade if its very hot. Visit Bekal either early morning or in the evening.

Nothing very special about Nalanda - its just a very peaceful place to sit at and have lunch or a beer after a looong drive.

Name:  Nalanda 1.JPG
Views: 3081
Size:  283.4 KB
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008, 21:42   #11
BHPian

Thanks. Steer.

Guess I'd fill the tank at starting point itself. No point in buying adulterated stuff for saving the VAT i suppose. Our palio 1.2 gives only 10 KMPL so will have to fill the tank very 250~300 km to be safe, especially in the wake of fuel shortage in some parts of the country.

Nalanda looks really serene. Now that you have posted the pics, I'll try cut out Mahe from the schedule and Stop at Neleswaram for Breakfast .
Regarding Bakel, wanted to take that customary pics. If its too hot,may be we'll cut short the time spent there.

What about that drive in beach Zak was referring to? Is it worth a detour? What about JOG FALLS. Is it possible? How long a detour i'd have to take acommodate that?
Old 4th July 2008, 08:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Gokarna is a very small town, most eating establishments should be closed that late. There is an Upchar Kamath on NH17 at Ankola just after the Gokarna turn off, which should be open longer for dinner.

Instead of reaching Gokarna so late, better to stay at Murudeshwar (RNS Hotel), Honavar (Hotel Kamat) or Kumta (Pandurang International).

Jog Falls is a detour of over 100 kms (to and fro) from Honavar. You could do that assuming you reach Honavar by at least 4 pm and you stay overnight at Honavar or Kumta, so that you can leave early next morning.
Old 4th July 2008, 08:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Distances for Jog Falls:

Honavar - immediately after crossing the long Sharavathi River bridge, you will see the left turn for Honavar town. Keep going on Nh17, you will see petrol station to your right. Within 1 km, you will see the Jog Falls road going to the right - NH206.

Honavar - 0 kms
Gerosoppa - 31 kms
Check Post - 28 kms
Turn to right - 6 kms
Jog Falls - 1 km
Old 4th July 2008, 08:37   #14
BHPian

Thanks HVK, but from your reply it seems JOG will not be that practical. If we start at aroud 4 o'clock from udupi, it might take around 3~4 hours upto JOG fall.Reaching the place at that point of time do not make any sense.Does it?

Also won't it be better to chug on till karwar for the night stay rather than break at Murudeswar/Honavar etc? that way we'd be closer to Madgaon, and the sunday morning journey would become shorter.Any good place to stay at Karwar? Even mediocre will do, we are just buch of guys and can survive in spartan conditions (if hygenic)

Also I wanted to know which beach will be better (cleaner..neater etc) Maravanthe ya OM @ Gokarna?
Old 4th July 2008, 08:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

I agree, reaching Jog Falls after dark does not make sense.

Karwar has some nice hotels, have stayed there before, but don't remember names. Will check out with a friend who stayed there a month ago. In any case, enter town and search, you will get hotels to your budget.

Maravanthe is not much of a beach. Om Beach is a litle away from Gokarna and not an attractive place after dark. Since you are reaching Udupi in evening, Malpe Beach is worth a visit.

Finish your dinner by 10 pm wherever you are, you will not find eating places in Karwar open late at night.