Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread

Old 4th July 2008, 19:01   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
And your ex-CM's car has knocked down many people. And after a near fatal accident, he seem have learnt to respect speed or people, one of them.
IMPOSSIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Qualis overtaking a Verna? Unbelievable.
POSSIBLE

Old 4th July 2008, 19:31   #32
Team-BHP Support

Ok now lets not start who is the fastest of the lot thread, lot of things are possible. At the end of the day living counts and safety is of utmost importance to lot of us out here.

For safe driving, keep 4 to 5 hours for TVM - Cochin taking into consideration the current road and traffic conditions.
Old 4th July 2008, 19:35   #33
Awaiting Email Confirmation

@diablo- that qualis was surprisingly fast. I tried once to shake him off, thinking he'd slow me down. but it was the other way round, I was slowing him down. let him pass while i was doing 100kmph and he pulled away in no time.

ofcourse, the verna is faster than the qualis, but its a matter of how far you're willing to risk the car/yourself and the other traffic. that was the advantage this particular qualis had.I lost him as we entered kollam(neendakara). road was beginning to get busy at that point.

also- in the right hands, that toyota will fly. you'd agree if you saw zak driving

EDIT- agree with jaggu, 4-5 hrs is sane. if the traffic conditions are good, then its a different matter.

Last edited by rippergeo : 4th July 2008 at 19:36.
Old 4th July 2008, 19:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Default Should I reaaly add to this thread?

Hi,

Anyway here goes,

I travel to Kollam infrequently. To Kollam usually after noon and return at around 8PM.

The fastest I have covered the 82kms from my House to Aiyappas in Main Road , Kollam would be 1 hour 20 minutes. Usually when I stick to the 70kph limit, it would be anywhere between 1 hr 30 minutes to 1 hr 45 minutes depending on traffic.

I usually take similar times for the to and fro journey.

In 1992 or 1993, I had driven a Standard 2000 in its original petrol avatar from Erode to Alleppey between 9.30AM and 02.30PM non stop on a Sunday. This was with AC and the car gave 9kpl for this journey.

In 1981, Belgaum to Hubli 1hour, left Hubli at 08.45AM and was 6kms short of Tumkur at 12.15PM when I had to stop due to a break down. This was in a 1969 Toyota Corona.
Old 4th July 2008, 20:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
For safe driving, keep 4 to 5 hours for TVM - Cochin taking into consideration the current road and traffic conditions.
Nope. 3.30 to 4 hours is good enough if you drive sanely without taking any risk. 2.45 to 3.00 hours is possible if the roads are clear (early morning, particularly), 2.15 to 2.30 hours if you drive really fast. My regular benchmark while doing this route is 3 hours - anything less is a bonus, anything more means I've lost time. Best was 2.15 hrs in the Safari, doing an early morning run.

2 hours is - was it 2 hours to the destination or 2 hours to the nearest hospital? But I guess this also depends on the definition for TVM and COK. If its Kazhakoottam to Aroor (outskirts of the two cities) this is quite doable.

PS: Whatever be the time of the day, doing more than 120kmph on any stretch of this route (except some stretches between Alleppy and Kayamkulam where you could push 140/160 maxx) when there's no traffic would mean that you need to see a shrink for suicidal tendencies.

Last edited by Steeroid : 4th July 2008 at 21:01.
Old 4th July 2008, 20:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Based on my experience (distance / hr):
1) Avg distance on a GQ - 85km
2) Typical indian 2 laner - 50km (except some special 2 laners you can do 70km)

No matter what the car is, everything evens out in a very long drive.

Abhi
These numbers make lot of sense. Anything significantly above is pushing one's luck.
Old 4th July 2008, 21:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I went to Cochin from Tvm on 19th May on my Bullet. I left my home at 6:15am and reached Cherthala (my granma's home near the Karthiyayini devi temple) at 920am. From there i had breakfast and a bit of rest and started from there at 10am and reached Muthoot Securities at Kadavanthara by 1040am. It was raining in Kollam that day and had to take shelter & a tea which took around 15minutes.

Total riding time would be around 3hours and 30 minutes. It aint bad considering it was during peak morning hours and the rain.

Once did Bangalore Belgaum in 9hours inclusive of stops and lunch break. Started off from Gottigere in Bangalore at 6am and reached Belgaum at 3
Old 4th July 2008, 21:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
In the night, this route has absolutely no traffic, but beware of drunkards tottering on the road! (in any case, not around after 12 mid). On no occasion, would my fast driving been characterised as being rash, it was steady high speeds of 100 kmph plus, with top speed 140 kmph after Alapuzha.
No No Sir, I am not counting rash driving. For me Rash driving can be done even at 30kmph speed. Even after consistent driving by a special driver like you couldnt fetch 200km in 2 hours realtime.
My point was extracting 100km in an hour in actuals in indian roads consistently is quit difficult. I was refering for doing 200km in realtime in exactly 2 hours and close to impossible task especially on 2 laners.

mobike008, small high speed dashes can be done as you mentioned but it evens out in longer run.
Some of the fast dashes in my Alto have been:
Hosur - Krishnagiri (49km in 25min)
Angua - Kharagpur (62km in 35min)
Hassan - Neelamangala (dont remember but it was very fast) and many more...
Even our tbhp yelagiri hills drive was fast although i didnt account the timings.

Abhi
Old 4th July 2008, 21:27   #39
BHPian

Since we are talking the fastest time taken from A to B here.

Though I have never gone to trivandrapuram or places near it but I have done quite a few fast trips.

And here is the fastest:-

Bombay-Delhi

16 Hours.

Any guesses which car I was driving?
Old 4th July 2008, 21:36   #40
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

2 hours is - was it 2 hours to the destination or 2 hours to the nearest hospital? But I guess this also depends on the definition for TVM and COK. If its Kazhakoottam to Aroor (outskirts of the two cities) this is quite doable.
thats what I did, kazhakoottam to aroor, in 2hrs. do I still get booked for rash driving?
Old 4th July 2008, 22:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
also- in the right hands, that toyota will fly. you'd agree if you saw zak driving
Now every time i see a qualis it reminds me of Zak..
Nikki is also no less...
Old 4th July 2008, 23:29   #42
BANNED

I used to count Vytilla as the outskirts of Ernakulam 4 years ago. And Chaakka round a bout as Trivandrum's outskirts.
Now! as Steer said, Aroor and Kazhakootam seems to be the outskirts.

There's a fueling station at Aroor where I set my odo and check time these days. Because, it ain't any easy drive before that when exiting from Ernakulam.
But Chaakka still remains my odo reset point while exiting from Trivandrum (because I stay in the other end of the byepass and the fueling station just before Chaakka is perfect for my start).

Never underestimate a underpowered vehicle's capabilities while it's being driven by a good and understanding driver.

Guys! Before you all put that last and final seal of rash driving on me, please understand the fact that I don't take suicidal kind of risks while driving. After doing my so called 'Advanced driving course' in SA, I was taught to only drive quick when I'm fully aware of the road conditions and know the limits of the vehicle being driven.
Those who have driven/sat with me will know this well. I do enjoy driving fast and quick but only when I'm in my home turf and vehicles. Ask about how I drive an unfamiliar vehicle/on an unfamiliar road. I'm blamed to be too slow and too cautious many a times.
My wife and 2 kids will testify this fact if you want believe them. Kassam se! :serious smilie: :very verry serious smilie:

Huh! What was the need to say all these things here? Nay?
Yeah! It's very much possible to reach Trivandrum from Ernakulam in 2hours. Those who wonder how, should come down for a live demo.
Old 4th July 2008, 23:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Yeah! It's very much possible to reach Trivandrum from Ernakulam in 2hours. Those who wonder how, should come down for a live demo.
I trust you Zak!!
I do not want a demo as I have got a wife, a baby and a widowed mother waiting for me at home.

What I noticed about your driving in a very short trip:
You have got control eventhough you are very fast, you knew those roads well.
You are alert and breaks hard when needed - seatbelts are recommended. You do not take unnecessary risks with overtaking. You are good at sneaking through heavy traffic - remember the heavy traffic in front of Shanmugham beach.
You are not a rash driver, a good driver indeed.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 5th July 2008 at 00:00.
Old 5th July 2008, 00:04   #44
BHPian

i have done 2 hrs and 40 min leaving at around 1 am
Old 5th July 2008, 00:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinome View Post
i have done 2 hrs and 40 min leaving at around 1 am
What have u done in 2hrs and 40mins?? Be specific, as u are famous for doing various things at night.

Last edited by kpzen : 5th July 2008 at 00:16.
Closed Thread