Old 6th July 2008, 15:20   #1
BHPian

Default Present Condition NH 60.

NH 60 - Between Kharagpur and Balasore used to be one of the best
motorbale road in India, but recent Flash flood and rain has taken
its toll on NH60, I saw the photograph in the Newspapers that
one of the newly constructed bridge completely uprooted and
heard that several bridges on NH60 are broken and whole highway
is closed for service . I feel teriibly upset for this disaster.

Any Latest Update on NH 60 is most welcome.

Cheers
Captdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2008, 20:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Andy Dog Lover is on his way from Pune to Kalimpong on this route, reaching Ichchapuram shortly. We should have an update from him tomorrow.

Newspaper reports suggest that the road is badly damaged but open despite the broken Balasore bridge. Luckily, you can continue on NH5 via Baripada to Kharagpur.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2008, 18:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

As expected, traffic is diverted onto NH55 via Baripada to Kharagpur in view of the broken bridge on NH60 at Balasore.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 06:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Present Condition NH 60.

I am resurrecting very old thread as I am planning to take NH 60 between Kharagpur to Raniganj to NH2 in April last week. I would be traveling in my Tata Safari to Giridih from Bangalore.

I have two options:

1. Drive straight from Kharagpur to Kolkata (other part of NH 60) and take GT road from there to reach Gobindpur near Dhanbad.

2. Take NH 60 towards other side of Kharagpur to reach NH2 via Bankura - Raniganj.

The second option is shorter by almost 150+ Kms, so I would like to try this time. Can anybody comment its present condition? It seems not many TBHPian travel on this route still trying to find. I am keen on taking this road at least for one side of journey. If this road is not good I will return via Kolkata.

Last edited by anujmishra : 4th March 2014 at 06:30.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 08:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I am resurrecting very old thread as I am planning to take NH 60 between Kharagpur to Raniganj to NH2 in April last week. I would be traveling in my Tata Safari to Giridih from Bangalore.

I have two options:

1. Drive straight from Kharagpur to Kolkata (other part of NH 60) and take GT road from there to reach Gobindpur near Dhanbad.

2. Take NH 60 towards other side of Kharagpur to reach NH2 via Bankura - Raniganj.

The second option is shorter by almost 150+ Kms, so I would like to try this time. Can anybody comment its present condition? It seems not many TBHPian travel on this route still trying to find. I am keen on taking this road at least for one side of journey. If this road is not good I will return via Kolkata.
Avoid NH60 between Kharagpur & Raniganj.

GT Road is different from the Durgapur Expressway till Bardhaman.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 09:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Avoid NH60 between Kharagpur & Raniganj.

GT Road is different from the Durgapur Expressway till Bardhaman.
Thanks hvk sir. If there is no significant saving in time there is no point going through Bankura.

Incidentally, I found one blog of one person named Sumit Dey. He traveled on this road in 2012 in his SX4 from Bangalore - Kharagpur - Bankura - Purulia - Dumka. He happens to be my colleague in office. Here is blog

http://sumitsd123.blogspot.kr/2012/1...e-me-home.html

He traveled from Kharagpur to Bankura in three hours and said in blog that road is in derivable condition. Bankura happened to be his in-laws places. I will contact him and get more feedback about this road. The other section Bankura - Raniganj seems better as per some updates in other threads.

Last edited by anujmishra : 4th March 2014 at 09:42.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 16:38   #7
rkg
Senior - BHPian

I had traveled on this road between Raniganj and Kharagpur in April 1st week, 2014. It is fine and one can easily maintain 70-90 kmph . and much better shape than 4 lane between WB border to balasore which is actually single lane with lot of diversions.

Bishnupur-Kharagapur via midnepur took 1.5 hours ( 80 Km)
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 13:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

I just returned from 5000+ Kms trip to my hometown in JH. While going I took Bangalore - Tirupati - Naidupet - Vizag Byepass - Cuttack - Kolkata - Giridih road.

But while returning I took slightly different route. That is Giridih - Raniganj - Bankura - Kharagpur - Cuttack - Vizag - Naidupet - Tirupati - Bangalore. With this Raniganj - Bankura - Kharagpur NH60 route I saved almost 170 Kms of journey. This road is in excellent condition throughout and whoever travelling to this side I advise them to take this road. Only caution I got that do not travel post 7 PM on this road.

The section of NH 60 between Balasore to Kharagpur is in bad condition due to only single lane functioning. It is full of diversions. Always have to move from left to right to left and so on. Ironically they are charging toll at three place for Rs. 50, Rs. 50 & Rs. 60 for this complete diversion.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 21:06   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
I had traveled on this road between Raniganj and Kharagpur in April 1st week, 2014. It is fine and one can easily maintain 70-90 kmph . and much better shape than 4 lane between WB border to balasore which is actually single lane with lot of diversions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
With this Raniganj - Bankura - Kharagpur NH60 route I saved almost 170 Kms of journey. This road is in excellent condition throughout and whoever travelling to this side I advise them to take this road. Only caution I got that do not travel post 7 PM on this road.
This is really great news. Must give it a try again.
Last time I was on it, Bankura - Durgapur which used to be excellent, had started deteriorating, while Bankura - Ranigunj had been newly laid, and excellent. Driving through Ranigunj was a pain though.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 20:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Must give it a try again.
Did KGP - Ranigunj a few days back. Quite nice in fact. (At one time this road was horrible).

So Kgp - Durgapur avoiding Calcutta a viable option now.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 01:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Did KGP - Ranigunj a few days back. Quite nice in fact. (At one time this road was horrible).

So Kgp - Durgapur avoiding Calcutta a viable option now.
Thanks Sutripta Sir for the feedback. I hope now the road over the railway level crossing at Bishnupur is also repaired. I drove an alto over it once, which I remembered was quite an effort.
rahul4640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 21:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Not the LC itself, but the approach (from the Garbheta side) is still a small car breaker! However, one can go through the town and use the RUB on SH2 to come out on NH60.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 20:22   #13

Default Kharagpur to Bankura via NH60

Hi everyone,

I will be travelling from Kharagpur to Bankura towards the end of this month. Google Maps shows NH60 as the shortest route (120 kms). Any heads-up on the route? Road conditions, Security issues, whatever.

Thanks in advance.
Moeinuk

Note from Support: Post moved to existing thread.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th February 2016 at 20:45. Reason: There are multiple threads existing on the same route. Please SEARCH. Thanks!
moeinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 22:13   #14
BHPian

Default Re: Kharagpur to Bankura via NH60

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeinuk View Post
Hi everyone,

Google Maps shows NH60 as the shortest route (120 kms). Any heads-up on the route?
I drove from Balasore to Kharagpur by NH60 last November during Diwali, while driving from Hyderabad to Kolkata. The entire stretch is 4-lane super fast road. I crossed that section between 8 PM to 10 PM while going and while returning between 10 PM to 12 mid-night. I couldn't find any security concern
Krishroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 21:25   #15

Thanks Krishroy for the update. Will add my bit of review on the road after my journey.
moeinuk is offline   Reply With Quote