Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 10:13   #151
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I tried this sometime last year and the road was good except for a very small stretch ~200 metres where it was being relaid somewhere near a village called Gandse (I think). This road will take you to Arsikere just beside the Arsikere town police station where it merges with NH206 (also known as BH Road locally).
There is nothing to lose here I guess. Only to gain. Because there is no bypass to Arsikere.

Quote:
*Oh BTW, the Hassan-Arsikere road was simply hell to drive on, surface is like the moon!
This is known. Horrible section.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 11:30   #152
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,816
Thanked: 4,758 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
At least the exit road from NH48 looks very good.
How easy is it to spot/access this exit now given that channarayapatna bypass is operational on NH 48 ?

Last edited by NPV : 14th September 2014 at 11:31.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 16:13   #153
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How easy is it to spot/access this exit now given that channarayapatna bypass is operational on NH 48 ?
Ite vert easy to see this road. Just that (I think) there is exit board. But the road seems quite good.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 22:09   #154
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 368 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
I want to try this alternate route as I can confidently cruise on the Bangalore->Mangalore highway till I reach Channrayapatna and gain some time.
This is almost 25 km longer than the Tumkur-Arsikere option. I agree that the 4-lane till CR-Patna will reduce the time but not sure if the road conditions b/w CR-Patna and Arsikere will negate this to an extent.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 18:21   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 368 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This is almost 25 km longer than the Tumkur-Arsikere option. I agree that the 4-lane till CR-Patna will reduce the time but not sure if the road conditions b/w CR-Patna and Arsikere will negate this to an extent.
Any further updates on this? Being able to go on the NH48 runway till CR Patna sounds very tempting
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 18:55   #156
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,816
Thanked: 4,758 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Any further updates on this? Being able to go on the NH48 runway till CR Patna sounds very tempting
I had responded to @vsathyap's query regarding CR Patna - Arsikere route which I took last year. See Post #150 on this thread.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 20:11   #157
BHPian
 
vsathyap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 291
Thanked: 704 Times
Default

Thanks all for your inputs. I have had some other sources of feedback which have agreed that its a decent road to travel on..but don't expect a super duper surface. I am planning to take this route onwards and return via the usual Tarikere tiptur Tumkur route on the way back. Will report back on this thread once I complete the trip ...Cheers!
vsathyap is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 15:28   #158
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 368 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Update: I did take the Channarayapattana-Arsikere route to Shimoga last week and this section is in pristine condition. The exit to Arsikere appears just before the CR Pattana bypass ends and is very well marked (hard to miss). The road is excellent all the way till Arsikere barring a very small section which is slightly rough, not a bother at all. While this adds ~20 km to the overall distance, compared to the route via Tumkur-Tiptur, I am sure it is faster given the superb 4-lane till CR Pattana. Highly recommended for Bangalore-Shimoga drives.

A pic attached (taken somewhere midway b/w CR Pattana and Arsikere)...
Attached Images
 
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 08:40   #159
BHPian
 
vsathyap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 291
Thanked: 704 Times
Default

We did the CR Patna - Arasikere route yesterday and yes, the road is in very good condition. It saves a bit of time compared to the Tumkur route.
vsathyap is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 11:13   #160
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Update: I did take the Channarayapattana-Arsikere route to Shimoga last week and this section is in pristine condition.
Thanks for the update. I thought so that this approach would be much better. Because the way the this road forks off the NH48 4-lane, gave me quite some confidence.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 11:55   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks for the update. I thought so that this approach would be much better. Because the way the this road forks off the NH48 4-lane, gave me quite some confidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Can anybody let me know how the roads are from Channrayapatna to Arsikere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
How easy is it to spot/access this exit now given that channarayapatna bypass is operational on NH 48 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Update: I did take the Channarayapattana-Arsikere route to Shimoga last week and this section is in pristine condition. The exit to Arsikere appears just before the CR Pattana bypass ends and is very well marked (hard to miss).
I don't know how I missed this route query. Channarayapatna-Arsikere road has been good for the past few years. Given the state of the Hassan-Arsikere road, most people going towards Arsikere from Hassan go all the way up to Channarayapatna and then deviate towards Arsikere via Gandasi (almost double the distance).

I never knew people would take this route from Bangalore to Shimoga. Looks like it is marginally shorter than the Chitradurga route.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 10:26   #162
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 509
Thanked: 381 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Just came back from Shimogga , took CR Patna - Arsikere- SHimogga route. Except for some bad patches , the single road from CR patna was excellent. Has anyone tried Chitradurga - Shimogga route ? There is only a 6Km difference between Arsikere and Chitradurga route . I guess I will end up paying more toll on Chitradurga route though .

Last edited by girimajiananth : 6th October 2014 at 10:31.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 11:06   #163
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Just came back from Shimogga , took CR Patna - Arsikere- SHimogga route. Except for some bad patches , the single road from CR patna was excellent. Has anyone tried Chitradurga - Shimogga route ? There is only a 6Km difference between Arsikere and Chitradurga route . I guess I will end up paying more toll on Chitradurga route though .
I think on a long weekend, it better coming via Chitradurga. Esp because the queues on the toll booths on the Hassan road is way more than the NH4. Also getting into Tumkur at Nelamangala is also quite painful. That alone gives you a reason to come via Chitradurga or the regular NH206 instead of the Hassan road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 11:19   #164
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 509
Thanked: 381 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think on a long weekend, it better coming via Chitradurga. Esp because the queues on the toll booths on the Hassan road is way more than the NH4. Also getting into Tumkur at Nelamangala is also quite painful. That alone gives you a reason to come via Chitradurga or the regular NH206 instead of the Hassan road.
We left Bangalore on 30th and returned on Oct 2nd , so we did not find heavy traffic during both journeys. Yes , weekends will be painful . But how good is Chitradurga-Shimogga road ? Is it as good as Arsikere - Shimogga ?
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 11:32   #165
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,601
Thanked: 8,592 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
We left Bangalore on 30th and returned on Oct 2nd , so we did not find heavy traffic during both journeys. Yes , weekends will be painful . But how good is Chitradurga-Shimogga road ? Is it as good as Arsikere - Shimogga ?
It may not be as good. But for the return crowd I think its still better to go via Chitradurga instead of Kunigal/Nelamangala.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with route Hubli-Shimoga-Kodagu suchetd Route / Travel Queries 18 23rd August 2017 20:32
Route Query : Shimoga->Nagara->Nittur->Kollur airguitar Route / Travel Queries 2 24th September 2010 12:37
Shimoga - Belgaum Route Query Hurrycane12 Route / Travel Queries 2 19th March 2008 19:29
Mangalore-shimoga route info reqd. Lukeskywalker Route / Travel Queries 6 19th April 2007 17:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks