Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 12:59   #31
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Rajesh,
My Brother in law drove on Tumkur - Arsikere route and he confimrs that road condition is good as most parts are repaired relaid except the few KMs around Tiptur. He drove Alto. Hence you can go ahead on this route. Why don't you explore both route Via Chitradurga and Arsikere for a change . Go by one and return by other.
Thanks for the info. Yes sir, will do that incase our trip materialises.
Old 1st January 2012, 11:31   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Rajesh,
My Brother in law drove on Tumkur - Arsikere route and he confimrs that road condition is good as most parts are repaired relaid except the few KMs around Tiptur.
I second that. Tumkur-Arasikere is in fact a pleasure to drive right now, except for a small stretch around Arasikere, as Fauji says.

I wonder why you'd want to try the circuitous Tumkur-Chitradurga-Holalkere-Shimoga route. Any reason besides the urge to explore? I ask, since road conditions on the regular route are pretty good, and the alternative route is significantly longer.
Old 1st January 2012, 11:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Wanted updates on the Tumkur - Shimoga sector of the NH-206. How is the road condition for a drive in Wagon-R ?

Am thinking to do a BLR-Thirthahalli drive very soon. Saw some people do BLR to Shimoga via chitradurga, Holalkere & Channagiri. I feel this will be a 7 hr drive. (BLR to Shimoga).

Opinions/suggestions/comments are most welcome !!
I am from Shimoga and do a lot of Bangalore - Shimoga drives. I came back from there last night

The one through Arsikere is in good condition. No problem at all. I went through this road coz i had to goto Bhadravati and came back through the Durga route. I somehow prefer the one through Chitradurga. The road from Chitradurga to Shimoga was in real bad shape around 2 years ago. They have relaid it now and its pretty awesome to drive on.

I don't understand why you would need 7 hours via Chitradurga. Infact, I generally do a Bangalore - Shimoga faster when i go through Chitradurga than through Arsikere even though its 25km longer. (That's almost 10% of the total distance). You would not need more than 2.5 hours to do a Bangalore - Durga non-stop. Durga - Shimoga is 100 odd kilometers and you can do it in 1.5 hours approximately. So, not more than 5.5 hours even if you have a very longish break and drive sedately. It also needs lesser gear changes and is a lot less stressful.

Another advantage of the Chitradurga route is that its more safer since its 4 lane all the way till Durga. Helps especially during the night. Only grouse would be that you will end up paying for the tolls. Cheers
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
Wanted updates on the Tumkur - Shimoga sector of the NH-206. How is the road condition for a drive in Wagon-R ?

Am thinking to do a BLR-Thirthahalli drive very soon.

Opinions/suggestions/comments are most welcome !!
Update!!

Just came back from a trip to Thirthalli area. I started from Hassan and took the following route.

Hassan-Nittur-Bageshpura-Arsikere-Birur-Tarikere-Bhadra River Project Area-Shimoga-Sakrebyle-Thirthalli

Hassan to Ariskere was done in interior roads as the main road is horrible to say the least. From Arsikere upto Tarikere, the road was very good. It has been relaid in many places and it is a smooth ride. We took a deviation after Tarikere towards Bhadra Dam (Lakkavalli). But, going by the road we came from , the Tarikere-Shimoga stretch should be good.

From Tarikere, the road is good till the dam. BRP area to Shimoga road passes through Kuvempu University campus. This road is horrible within the BRP area and upto Kuvempu University campus. But after that, it is very good till about 5-6 kms to Shimoga. The last few kms are being relaid and it is a dusty drive till Shimoga.

Shimoga-Sakrebyle-Thirthalli. This is a very beautiful drive with smooth flowing curves and a very nice road surface. No problems whatsoever.

From Thirthalli we went to Kundadri hill. We took the Thirthalli-Agumbe road which was good to decent in stretches. The road is very good upto Megaravalli and after that it has good stretches and patched up stretches. But over all, it is good. I am not sure how the road is after the Kundadri deviation, but till that point it is good. The climb up Kundadri is on a very narrow and steep road. This road too is smooth with no potholes.

The next day we went to Kuppalli (poet Kuvempu's house and memorial). This is on the Thirthalli-Koppa road. Again this is a very good road.

After Kuppalli, we came back to Thirthalli and started towards Kundapura. The route was Thirthalli-Kaimara (on Agumbe road)-Mastikatte-Balebare ghat-Hosangadi-Siddapura-Kundapura.

Thirthalli-Kaimara is good. We took a right at Kaimara towards Mastikatte. The road to Mastikatte is good for about 10 kms from Kaimara. After that it keeps alternating from decent to bad to worse. From Mastikatte, the road is good in patches, but has very huge potholes which can smash the underbellies of cars if not driven carefully.

After Mastikatte-Hulikal, we enter the Balebare ghat. The initial part of the ghat after the checkpost is good. It starts to deteriorate before the Chandikamba temple at Balebare. Road works were going on at a few places and it was quite dusty. Once we reach Hosangadi, the road becomes better, but it is still rough and bumpy. Not many potholes though. It remains like this all the way to Kundapura.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd January 2012 at 18:03. Reason: merging post
Old 12th March 2012, 13:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from Goa via Karwar - Honnavar - Tirthahalli - Shimoga to Bangalore. I had some work in Tirthahalli and hence stayed overnight there.

Shivamogga - Tirthahalli :- Excellent condition. Took us an hour to cover due to some sand lorries on this stretch as we started from Tirthahalli only at 12 noon. If it is early in the morning one can cover the distance in 45 mins.

Shivamogga - Bangalore :- We did NH 206 via Arsikere. Road condition is excellent . Did Shivamogga - Bangalore (Tumkur road toll gate on NICE road ) - Shivamogga in four hours flat . Good news is that road widening activity on Banavara - Arsikere stretch is complete. The another surprise was the road within Tiptur town. It is relaid and excellent except for last 500 meters.

If one is starting early in the morning, Bangalore - Shivamogga - Tirthahalli should be a pleasurable drive due to excellent road conditions and one should comfortably make it in six hours with a breakfast break.
Old 12th March 2012, 13:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Just came back from Goa via Karwar - Honnavar - Tirthahalli - Shimoga to Bangalore. I had some work in Tirthahalli and hence stayed overnight there.

Shivamogga - Tirthahalli :- Excellent condition. Took us an hour to cover due to some sand lorries on this stretch as we started from Tirthahalli only at 12 noon. If it is early in the morning one can cover the distance in 45 mins.

Shivamogga - Bangalore :- We did NH 206 via Arsikere. Road condition is excellent . Did Shivamogga - Bangalore (Tumkur road toll gate on NICE road ) - Shivamogga in four hours flat . Good news is that road widening activity on Banavara - Arsikere stretch is complete. The another surprise was the road within Tiptur town. It is relaid and excellent except for last 500 meters.

If one is starting early in the morning, Bangalore - Shivamogga - Tirthahalli should be a pleasurable drive due to excellent road conditions and one should comfortably make it in six hours with a breakfast break.
This is good info. I am planning a bangalore shivamogga shringeri and was wanting to know the conditions of the road. Will reach in case i need any clarifications on the route.
Old 4th June 2012, 18:51   #37
BHPian

Shimoga district route query

I have to go and photograph a few places in Shimoga district over this weekend. I have firmed up the places to be visited and would like inputs from fellow bhpians on how best to approach these places and make the most of the three days (Fri, Sat & Sun) available to me for this non-professional assignment:

1. Shivappanayak's palace (Shimoga)
2. Gajnur Dam (near Shimoga)
3. Kuvempu's house (Kuppalli)
4. Kavaledurga (Nagara)
5. Ambuthirtha (between Nagara and Thirthahalli)
6. Agumbe (for the sunset)
7. Linganamakki Dam
8. Honnemaradu (between Jog and Talaguppa)
9. Hoyasala Temple (Keladi)
10.Kalasanka (natural rock formation - between Jog and Talaguppa)
11.Ikkeri (4 kms from Sagar)
12.River crossing on ferry (near Sigandur)

I can leave Bangalore on Thursday night to reach any of these places by day break and have to be back in Bangalore by Monday day break.

Any inputs/suggestions on the route to be taken would be much appreciated.
Old 5th June 2012, 15:56   #38
BHPian

Great to know that the Shimoga road is in excellent condition. Actually I need to attend a wedding in Honnavar next month which is on a Wednesday. The catch is that both me and my wife need to work on the Tuesday and Thursday.

This recent update on the road condition has made me come up with a plan like : Start at 5pm from Bangalore on Tuesday, target to reach Shimoga by 10 pm. Overnight halt at Shimoga and resume journey at 7 am and reach Honnavar by 9 am. Start return journey at 3 pm from Honnavar and reach Bangalore by 10 pm.

Does this sound feasible based on the current road conditions? Also, can some recommend a reasonable priced decent hotel in Shimoga for a night stay?
Old 5th June 2012, 16:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
: Start at 5pm from Bangalore on Tuesday, target to reach Shimoga by 10 pm.
Also, can some recommend a reasonable priced decent hotel in Shimoga for a night stay?
You can try Hotel Jewel Rock Shimoga.

Hotel Jewel Rock (Shimoga) - Hotel reviews, photos, rates. - TripAdvisor

Stayed there in 2008 on the way to Goa. Decent hotel with very reasonable rate.

If you start from Bangalore at 5:00 PM, you will reach Shimoga only by 11:00 PM (or later). Also, Honnavar to Bangalore in 7 hours also does not seem possible.
Old 5th June 2012, 17:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Great to know that the Shimoga road is in excellent condition. Actually I need to attend a wedding in Honnavar next month which is on a Wednesday. The catch is that both me and my wife need to work on the Tuesday and Thursday.

This recent update on the road condition has made me come up with a plan like : Start at 5pm from Bangalore on Tuesday, target to reach Shimoga by 10 pm. Overnight halt at Shimoga and resume journey at 7 am and reach Honnavar by 9 am. Start return journey at 3 pm from Honnavar and reach Bangalore by 10 pm.

Does this sound feasible based on the current road conditions? Also, can some recommend a reasonable priced decent hotel in Shimoga for a night stay?
Hotel Jewel Rock Shimoga is the best place to break in between.

My budget would be like:
1) Bangalore->Shimoga(280 Kms) : 6 hours atleast including a 30-minute break and city driving. Considering that you are going to do night driving and there are some flying buses and other vehicles on this reasonably good road, be careful and alert.
2) Shimoga->Sagara(70 Kms) : About 1.5 hours
3) Sagara->Honnavar(90 Kms) : About 2.5 hours if you are lucky(no rains, no blockages on ghat roads etc.)

An average Bangalore->Honnavar drive would take about 10 hours including breaks. Would like the experts to provide better comments and advice
Old 25th September 2012, 20:17   #41
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I am planning to visit Shimoga this weekend, did any of you happen to travel Bangalore - Shimoga recently?
Looks like the roads were really good till June this year, any update on the recent condition of the roads after the rains, not that there was a lot of rainfall this year

I plan to leave Bangalore at around 0500 / 0530 hrs and target to reach Shimoga by 1200hrs on Saturday (29/09) and plan to stay there over the weekend covering Sakre Bayalu Elephant Camp, Tyavarekoppa Lion Safari, Gajanur Dam over the weekend and will try to cover Jog falls on Monday (01/10) and target to return to Bangalore by monday night.

Please share your thoughts on this itinerary.

- CT
Old 26th September 2012, 11:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Hi Guys,
I am planning to visit Shimoga this weekend, did any of you happen to travel Bangalore - Shimoga recently?
Looks like the roads were really good till June this year, any update on the recent condition of the roads after the rains, not that there was a lot of rainfall this year
I drove Jog-Tumkur as a part of my Goa trip on 20-Aug. Roads are in mint condition till Jog, that are good enough to do a night drive on the first attempt I crossed Shimoga at 630pm and reached Tumkur Naveen Regency on the NH4 at 1140pm maintaining 60-80 with a 20 min dinner break inbetween.
Old 26th September 2012, 18:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I plan to leave Bangalore at around 0500 / 0530 hrs and target to reach Shimoga by 1200hrs on Saturday (29/09) and plan to stay there over the weekend covering Sakre Bayalu Elephant Camp, Tyavarekoppa Lion Safari, Gajanur Dam over the weekend and will try to cover Jog falls on Monday (01/10) and target to return to Bangalore by monday night.

- CT
I have been there in last couple months and road was good. I go that side often and my personal favorite is to go via Chitradurga instead of via Tiptur. This route is NH4 till Chitradurga which is a 4 lane toll road and has less traffic and after you take left from Chitradurga also, the road is pretty good with very less traffic again. The Tiptur route is used by all the KSRTC buses and trucks and is always crowded. This new route is longer by 30-40 kms but is much faster!

Attaching the 2 routes for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-route1.jpg  

Bangalore - Shimoga : Route Queries-route2.jpg  

Old 26th September 2012, 19:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I drove Jog-Tumkur as a part of my Goa trip on 20-Aug. Roads are in mint condition till Jog, that are good enough to do a night drive on the first attempt I crossed Shimoga at 630pm and reached Tumkur Naveen Regency on the NH4 at 1140pm maintaining 60-80 with a 20 min dinner break inbetween.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
I have been there in last couple months and road was good. I go that side often and my personal favorite is to go via Chitradurga instead of via Tiptur. This route is NH4 till Chitradurga which is a 4 lane toll road and has less traffic and after you take left from Chitradurga also, the road is pretty good with very less traffic again. The Tiptur route is used by all the KSRTC buses and trucks and is always crowded. This new route is longer by 30-40 kms but is much faster!
Thanks narayans and Suchit, I would love to try both the roads maybe I'll take the one via Tiptur while going and will return via Chitradurga.

I'll keep you all posted and hope to write my first travelogue soon.
Old 26th September 2012, 19:23   #45

Quote:
Hi Guys,

- CT
Very good choice you have made thinking to visit malnad.
I am staying in Shimoga from the past many years. I frequently do Bangalore - Shimoga trips.

From my experience, I would sincerely suggest you to take Chitradurga route. It would take around 2.5 hours to reach Chitradurga from Bangalore and then, Chitradurga-Shimoga is a 1.5 hr journey.

If you are a good driver, You can do Bangalore-Shimoga in 4 hrs/ 4.5 hrs max.

Some of the very good places in and around Shimoga :

1. Jog falls - 100 kms from shimoga.
Shimoga to Sagar- 70 kms, one of the best state highway roads
Sagar to Jog falls- 30 kms, not so good curvy roads, ghat section.

2. Lion Safari - 20 kms from shimoga.
Situated at a place called Tyavarekoppa. If you are married and you have children, it would be a hell of a place for them. Lion safari guys will take u a round in bus where you can see lions, tigers,deers, peacocks and many other animals. Nice place to hang out. A trip for a person would cost around 250 bucks.

3. Honnemaradu - 70 kms from shimoga.
They will give you a boat for your family and provide all the instructions. You can go boating yourself wearing the life jackets. You will be only with your family in the boat with no guide, boating in the calm river enjoying scenic beauties in the surroundings. One of the best experience.

4. Mandagadde bird sanctuary - 30 kms from shimoga.
Many birds from different countries visit here. A relief to your eyes seeing those birds. U feel yourself lost in the sanctuary. Make sure u come with ur cam. Not an ideal weather to visit.

5. Sakkarebylu - 25 kms from shimoga.
A very nice place indeed. Here you can see dozens of elephants moving around. You can see bathing of elephants in the river, they are made to carry logs of wood. A treat to your eyes.

6. Hebbe Falls - 70 kms from shimoga.
It is in a hill station actually. you can enjoy in the river. water falls from a minimal height. very very calm place. google it to know more. afternoon is the best time, u can get a blend of sunlight and cool river.

7. Balehonnur Boat stay - 70 kms from shimoga.
you can spend a night in the boat. They will provide you with everything you want. You will be in the middle of a river inside a boat spending a wonderful night with your family.

8. Suzlon wind mills - 25 kms from shimoga.
It is situated in a place called Savalanga. if you are technically interested to know the working of a wind mill, you can visit here. There are dozens of wind mills. You will be so near to those wind mills, that you can touch it.

Hope you have a great stay in Shimoga
turbospool is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed