Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th February 2016, 02:30   #16
BHPian

Default Re: UAE / Dubai Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Book On hotels.com and cancel after you get the visa??
Thanks, but, after I book it in hotels.com how do I proceed with getting the VISA? who is going to do it for me? I am confused... :S
balajird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 11:36   #17
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need some help. Planning a trip to Dubai for 4 days in the last week of March. Emphasis would only be on sight-seeing & shopping(affordable,nothing too fancy).
Apart from Burj al Arab, Mall of Emirates & Burj Khalifa, what are the other places worth seeing? My Mom may not particularly enjoy the Desert Safari on those 4x4 SUV's!
My last trip to Dubai was 16yrs ago when we hardly did much sight-seeing as we were too busy shopping. In those days electronics were cheap in Dubai. Among other things we had bought a tv(still working as of today), washing machine, microwave,etc. Does it still make sense to buy electronics from Dubai today, or would the prices be more or less similar to what we get in India? Was particularly looking to buy a point & shoot camera & a watch(Tissot/Seiko).
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2016, 12:20   #18
BHPian

Probably you can try the following places apart from the ones that you have mentioned in your post:

1. Dubai Mall - Aquarium & Underwater Zoo, also the other attractions in Dubai Mall like Fountain Show etc.
2. Dubai Creek Park - Dolphin Show
3. Sheikh Zayed Mosque - Abu Dhabi
4. Global Village - huge event on till the end of March
5. Jabal Jais Mountains - Ras Al Khaimah
6. Jebel Hafit - Al Ain
7. Miracle Garden in Dubai

The weather here is quite pleasant now and apt for touring. The skies are very clear in Feb & Mar and even the humidity level is pretty comfortable.

To your second question, yes, electronics are pretty cheap here, especially TVs. However, you would end up paying 33% flat as customs on TVs if you want to carry them with you. I am not sure about Washing Machines & Microwaves.
cbatrody is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 20:31   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Guys, need some help. Planning a trip to Dubai for 4 days in the last week of March. Emphasis would only be on sight-seeing & shopping(affordable,nothing too fancy).
Apart from Burj al Arab, Mall of Emirates & Burj Khalifa, what are the other places worth seeing? My Mom may not particularly enjoy the Desert Safari on those 4x4 SUV's!
My last trip to Dubai was 16yrs ago when we hardly did much sight-seeing as we were too busy shopping. In those days electronics were cheap in Dubai. Among other things we had bought a tv(still working as of today), washing machine, microwave,etc. Does it still make sense to buy electronics from Dubai today, or would the prices be more or less similar to what we get in India? Was particularly looking to buy a point & shoot camera & a watch(Tissot/Seiko).
There is nothing worth shopping there. Believe me everything is available in India at the same price or maybe just a little more. All the electronics included.

Beware of the customs if you plan to buy any gold. They are a tricky lot.

From the places that cbatrody mentioned below, since its a 4 days trip points number 3,5 and 6 can be skipped.

Plan a 5 PM slot for the Burj Khalifa. This way you can enjoy the evening (day) view as well as night view. It takes about 20 mins to get to the top including the line. The underwater zoo can be seen in about 20/30 mins.

Keep one full evening for Global Village. Its a must visit and the perfumes are excellent here. Also the miracle garden.

Dolphin show and Bird show should be planned for the evening slot as there is an added magic show in the evening slot.

Abudhabi Mosque requires you to wear special clothes (full sleeves etc for men and the Hijab and Abaya for women compulsory). Although the mosque is huge and there is a huge carpet woven inside as one piece. But this place can be given a miss as it requires half day. (since you are on a short tour)

Ferrari World is another attraction in Abu dhabi, but since you are from Mumbai the iMagica is almost the same like Ferrari world, albeit the expensive one (infact some rides are better in iMagica). The only ride is the fastest roller coaster here which is worth a mention and if you are a Ferrari F1 fan. But its bloody expensive. And the Go karting requires you to enroll your name well in advance. We had taken gold ticket to save time and it also gives access to all rides without being in queues.

In your free time do visit Dubai Marina area. Metro Train works out cheaper to get here. Its fabulous with the 7 tallest residential buildings.

Dhow cruise is famous. You can dine in a cruise ship and its quite an experience with their traditional dances and Tanoora show.

Sand Dunes are worth visiting, opt for a Hummer for just 20$ extra each and your mom will also love the ride as the regular 4x4 land cruisers etc are not as plush as the Hummer. The buffet dinner and drinks are on the house with a variety of shows amidst the sand dunes.

Dubai half day city tour will cover the Palm Islands. Do take the Monorail for the exclusive view of the island.

The Lost Chambers in the Atlantis Palm is another aquarium in Atlantis format. Although the Dubai Mall aquarium is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
Probably you can try the following places apart from the ones that you have mentioned in your post:

1. Dubai Mall - Aquarium & Underwater Zoo, also the other attractions in Dubai Mall like Fountain Show etc.
2. Dubai Creek Park - Dolphin Show
3. Sheikh Zayed Mosque - Abu Dhabi
4. Global Village - huge event on till the end of March
5. Jabal Jais Mountains - Ras Al Khaimah
6. Jebel Hafit - Al Ain
7. Miracle Garden in Dubai

The weather here is quite pleasant now and apt for touring. The skies are very clear in Feb & Mar and even the humidity level is pretty comfortable.

To your second question, yes, electronics are pretty cheap here, especially TVs. However, you would end up paying 33% flat as customs on TVs if you want to carry them with you. I am not sure about Washing Machines & Microwaves.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 22:38   #20
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
To your second question, yes, electronics are pretty cheap here,
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
There is nothing worth shopping there.
Thanks guys for recommending the places.
I'm planning to buy the iPhone 6s & a digital camera from Dubai, is there any particular trusted store/shop from where i can buy them?
An acquaintance just bought the iPhone 6 128gb from Dubai for 45k last week, thats about 10k cheaper than India.
Old 18th March 2016, 23:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for recommending the places.
I'm planning to buy the iPhone 6s & a digital camera from Dubai, is there any particular trusted store/shop from where i can buy them?
An acquaintance just bought the iPhone 6 128gb from Dubai for 45k last week, thats about 10k cheaper than India.
Be sure that you buy the facetime version. Meena bazaar is like fashion street or Heera Panna of Dubai. You get all 1st copy items there so beware.

In my opinion go and have fun and spend all your money in that cause. No tension of buying electronics and then customs and what not.
The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 23:44   #22
BHPian

Hi PPS - please make sure you buy the Burj Kalifa tickets online. It can be quite crowded as well and be prepared for a long queue.

As for Atlantis , they have a stall at the Dubai Airport when you exit after the baggage collection area. You can't miss that stall. You get 15% discount there.

Global village is awesome. Don't miss it.

The desert Safari is really nice. It'll be bad if you can't make that work

There is also the Dubai Snow World in one of the malls. We had fun there.

As for Gold purchase ( if you plan to ) please don't buy coins. Jewellery is ok.

All above are basis my recent family holiday at Dubai last December.

Have fun. Cheers. 😊
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:28   #23
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for all the help. It was a good trip. Managed to find a taxi driver who took us to Atlantis Palm, Burj al Arab, Jumeirah Beach, Dubai Mall, Mall of Emirates, Miracle Garden, all for 250 dirhams!
We skipped the Dhow cruise & Global Village.
My Mom did not particularly enjoy the Desert Safari! The Land Cruiser got punctured as well in the desert.
Old 11th August 2016, 07:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the help. It was a good trip. Managed to find a taxi driver who took us to Atlantis Palm, Burj al Arab, Jumeirah Beach, Dubai Mall, Mall of Emirates, Miracle Garden, all for 250 dirhams!
We skipped the Dhow cruise & Global Village.
My Mom did not particularly enjoy the Desert Safari! The Land Cruiser got punctured as well in the desert.
Can you please share more details like

1. Where you stayed? What's the most convenient location to stay that's closer to major tourist attraction.

2. In how many days were the above places covered by the driver? whats the easiest way to hire a cab?

3. I read that uber is there is Dubai but it's more expensive than the local cabs. Is it readily available though?
LoneWolf9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 09:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
Can you please share more details like

1. Where you stayed? What's the most convenient location to stay that's closer to major tourist attraction.
The best option would be to choose any hotel close to the metro station. Choose hotels on the Sheikh Zayed road as you will get a lot of cabs as well. I will prefer not going deep inside Bur Dubai, Karama, etc. since traffic in these places can get dense during peak hours and the last thing you want to do on a vacation is waste time on traffic.

Quote:
2. In how many days were the above places covered by the driver? whats the easiest way to hire a cab?
Dubai cabs have a dedicated number. Just call them and they will send you a cab within 15 minutes depending on your location.

Quote:
3. I read that uber is there is Dubai but it's more expensive than the local cabs. Is it readily available though?
Both Uber as well as Dubai cabs are expensive. The cheapest and the fastest way to commute is the metro.

Google maps is very accurate with metro and bus timings here. So if you choose a destination and select public transport, it will guide you properly. Of course, you need internet connection.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 09:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Things to do in Dubai in less than 1 day

Hi BHPians,

I have a 20 hour transit in Dubai on my way to U.S and wanted to get some opinions on what can I do during this time in Dubai? My flight arrives in DXB at 11am and departs next day at 8am. So basically I have less than 20hrs in hand (planning for 4-5hr of sleep). I don't want to do anything adventurous but just some local sightseeing. Apart from the obvious things like Burj, Palm and the Mall, are there any more interesting things to see?

Cheers,
Z
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 10:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Things to do in Dubai in less than 1 day

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Hi BHPians,

I have a 20 hour transit in Dubai on my way to U.S and wanted to get some opinions on what can I do during this time in Dubai? My flight arrives in DXB at 11am and departs next day at 8am. So basically I have less than 20hrs in hand (planning for 4-5hr of sleep). I don't want to do anything adventurous but just some local sightseeing. Apart from the obvious things like Burj, Palm and the Mall, are there any more interesting things to see?

Cheers,
Z
Unfortunately, it is quite hot & humid here this time of the year. Any outdoor activities (even basic walking) and you will be sweating like hell.

Most residents prefer staying indoors. You can try the Ice rink in Dubai mall, Ski Dubai in the Mall of Emirates, swimming with the Dolphins, or diving in the Aquarium in Atlantis. You can even try the sea plane or helicopter tours.

There is Dubai Wonderbus, if you are interested.

Or else, simply go ahead with Big Bus tours if you wanna do sightseeing in the comfort of an air conditioned bus.
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 10:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Unfortunately, it is quite hot & humid here this time of the year. Any outdoor activities (even basic walking) and you will be sweating like hell.
I forgot to mention I will be there in October first week
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 10:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I forgot to mention I will be there in October first week
Will not make much of a difference. Average temperature will be around 35 degrees.

Winter usually starts after mid November.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 11:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

When my flight from Bangalore was delayed by 90 minutes and made me miss the connecting one to Brussels in May, I had to spend 24 hours in Dubai to board the connecting flight next day.

I was put up at an Airport Hotel nearby and an ice breaker conversation with a fellow traveler revealed he too had missed his connecting flight to Lagos.

We then saw a counter at the Hotel about "Sight Seeing" and inquired about it : A 4 hour package covering some interesting POIs - Dubai Mall, A mosque, Fountain show in front of Burj Khalifa, Sheikh Zayeed Road, Atlantis Hotel (Entrance to Palm Jumeira), Spice and Gold Market looked interesting knowing we had nothing to do for the evening.

Took the plunge and paid 140 Dirhams and it was worth every penny spent - Well managed crew, punctual, spacious Airconditioned Bus, Courteous guide and good crowd who had missed their flights too!

We were dropped back to our hotel around 9PM.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote