Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th August 2016, 13:24   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Things to do in Dubai in less than 1 day

I too had a similar layover when I was going to Seattle and an 8hr one when going to NYC. However, you need to factor in the time it would take for you to get out of the Airport, get your transit visa, immigration and then the time it will take for the bus to arrive and take you to the hotel.

If you are put up in Hotel Copthorne, you can walk down to the GGICO metro station nearby and take the metro to Dubai Mall, and if interested book for the top view from the Burj Khalifa. Also just next to Dubai mall is the Aston Martin showroom where I had the pleasure of seeing the Aston Martin DB5 used in Skyfall. Also the Ferrari Store is a short walk away from the mall.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 21:02   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I too had a similar layover when I was going to Seattle and an 8hr one when going to NYC. However, you need to factor in the time it would take for you to get out of the Airport, get your transit visa, immigration and then the time it will take for the bus to arrive and take you to the hotel.

If you are put up in Hotel Copthorne, you can walk down to the GGICO metro station nearby and take the metro to Dubai Mall, and if interested book for the top view from the Burj Khalifa. Also just next to Dubai mall is the Aston Martin showroom where I had the pleasure of seeing the Aston Martin DB5 used in Skyfall. Also the Ferrari Store is a short walk away from the mall.

Thanks! Did you apply for transit visa before hand or is there on-arrival transit visa for Indian citizens going to US?
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 21:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Thanks! Did you apply for transit visa before hand or is there on-arrival transit visa for Indian citizens going to US?
During your check-in at the origin you will be given your hotel, food and visa vouchers. On arrival in Dubai you would need to go to the Visa counter and submit the visa voucher on which they will stamp a visa in your passport. In short it will be visa on arrival.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 09:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
During your check-in at the origin you will be given your hotel, food and visa vouchers. On arrival in Dubai you would need to go to the Visa counter and submit the visa voucher on which they will stamp a visa in your passport. In short it will be visa on arrival.
Ok, Emirates told me they wouldn't sponsor my stay or visa since I have chosen to have a 22hr layover even when an earlier flight is available :( Looks like I will have to apply for a transit visa myself.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 13:13   #35
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: UAE / Dubai Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf9 View Post
In how many days were the above places covered by the driver?
In a single day! The package offered by our hotel was much more expensive.
PPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 22:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Ok, Emirates told me they wouldn't sponsor my stay or visa since I have chosen to have a 22hr layover even when an earlier flight is available :( Looks like I will have to apply for a transit visa myself.
Yes it is only available if you do not have earlier options. Try booking your visa and hotel through emirates (skywards). It comes easier and is hassle free I guess. Airbnb.com is another option for rooms but I don't know how feasible it will be for a few hours stay.
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 10:10   #37
BHPian

I need your help to plan my itinerary for Dubai. I will be landing on 8th Oct early morning say round 6 am and will be leaving on 12th evening. So I have four and half days. I have 2 kids one 12 year and one 9 year. Hotel and airline bookings are done.
I am planning to cover
1. Jumeirah Beach ( not sure its worth)
2. Underwater Zoo, Dubai Aquarium and Sky Dubai
3. Desert Safari with dinner
4. Dhow Cruise and Dinner ( Dubai Creek)
5. Burj Khalifa
6. Dolphinarium
7. Wild Wadi water Park
8. Dolphin Experience at Atlantis The Palm in Dubai
9. Dubai Fountains
10. The Dubai Mall- Giant aquarium and sea zoo on 2 levels
11. Gold Souk ( how can I forget that)

Please help me to plan the literary I am very confused on when to visit Burj khalifa, will evening is better or morning is better time to visit. Desert safari and cruse are to be done in evenings. Also how can I get the cheaper entry tickets.
bruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 12:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
I need your help to plan my itinerary for Dubai.
I guess you can cover point # 2, 5, 9 & 10 in one day as they all are interconnected or in the vicinity of the Dubai Mall. You can watch other attractions in the mall like, Dubai Ice Rink, Waterfall, and Underwater Zoo & Aquarium etc during the day time and keep Burj Khalifa & Fountain for the evening. The ideal time to visit Burj Khalifa is between 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM where you can watch the sunset over Dubai sky & also capture some amazing pictures. There are 2 observation decks for visitors, one on the 124th floor & the other at the (126-148) 148th which is being expensive of the two. Due to the enormous height of this building, one can actually watch the sunset twice on the same day - once from the ground & second time at the top of the tower if you happen to go to the top after watching the sunset from the ground.

The fountain show starts at around 7:00 PM with every show running for few minutes & they repeat the same once in every 30 minutes thereafter until the midnight. You can watch this from the top of the Burj Khalifa tower if you happen to be at the observation deck when the fountain start, though the complete view of the fountain looks quite minuscule from the top.

Keep a whole day for Desert Safari and another for Gold Souq & Dhow Cruise Dinner. If you happen to find some time in between watch “Dolphin Show” in Dolphinarium which is located at the Creek Park and the show is REALLY amazing.

You can also look at travelling to Abu Dhabi for a day and cover Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, Ferrari World and YAS Mall etc. I am not sure Jumeirah beach & Wild Wadi Water Park are worth the effort to cover in 4 days of time.

As far as tickets are concerned, you get good packages if you try to book tickets clubbing multiple events.
cbatrody is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 13:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
I am very confused on when to visit Burj khalifa, will evening is better or morning is better time to visit. Desert safari and cruse are to be done in evenings.
I suggest you to visit the Burj Khalifa in the evening for two main reasons:
  1. The top view of the musical fountain is spectacular.
  2. You will get to witness sunset and then the glittering Dubai skyline at night.

If you are an adventure freak, do give Skydive-Dubai a visit
Syed_Munazzir is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 17:33   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed_Munazzir View Post
I suggest you to visit the Burj Khalifa in the evening for two main reasons:
  1. The top view of the musical fountain is spectacular.
  2. You will get to witness sunset and then the glittering Dubai skyline at night.

If you are an adventure freak, do give Skydive-Dubai a visit
Thank you Syed.
I find when you book multiple events as package, the timings for Burj Khalifa is during the non peak time, which is during the day and not in the evening. I tried searching on the net but could not find satisfactory results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
As far as tickets are concerned, you get good packages if you try to book tickets clubbing multiple events.
Thank you cbatrody. But I could not find a package which gives Burj Khalifa tickets for evening. Hence I am not sure should I go for package or book individually. Could you please refer some site/link where I can find packages.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st September 2016 at 17:44. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
bruty is offline   Reply With Quote