Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th January 2017, 12:02   #46
BHPian

Default Re: UAE / Dubai Holiday

Hello,

Planning for 8 days trip to Dubai with family in month of May, please suggest me few budget hotels in Bur Dubai area please.

Thanks,

Last edited by dsnaveen21 : 19th January 2017 at 12:04.
dsnaveen21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 07:44   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatrody View Post
I guess you can cover point # 2, 5, 9 & 10 in one day as they all are interconnected or in the vicinity of the Dubai Mall. You can watch other attractions in the mall like, Dubai Ice Rink, Waterfall, and Underwater Zoo & Aquarium etc during the day time and keep Burj Khalifa & Fountain for the evening. The ideal time to visit Burj Khalifa is between 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM where you can watch the sunset over Dubai sky & also capture some amazing pictures. There are 2 observation decks for visitors, one on the 124th floor & the other at the (126-148) 148th which is being expensive of the two. Due to the enormous height of this building, one can actually watch the sunset twice on the same day - once from the ground & second time at the top of the tower if you happen to go to the top after watching the sunset from the ground.

The fountain show starts at around 7:00 PM with every show running for few minutes & they repeat the same once in every 30 minutes thereafter until the midnight. You can watch this from the top of the Burj Khalifa tower if you happen to be at the observation deck when the fountain start, though the complete view of the fountain looks quite minuscule from the top.

Keep a whole day for Desert Safari and another for Gold Souq & Dhow Cruise Dinner. If you happen to find some time in between watch “Dolphin Show” in Dolphinarium which is located at the Creek Park and the show is REALLY amazing.

You can also look at travelling to Abu Dhabi for a day and cover Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, Ferrari World and YAS Mall etc. I am not sure Jumeirah beach & Wild Wadi Water Park are worth the effort to cover in 4 days of time.

As far as tickets are concerned, you get good packages if you try to book tickets clubbing multiple events.
We are a family of 4 and are planning a Dubai vacation in the last week of December, about 5N/6D. I plan to book the flight on my own (using some miles I have). Regarding the rest, should I book a package (eg. makemytrip has non-flight packages that includes hotel, visa, transfers and attractions)? Or should I book the hotel(s) myself and plan/book everything (visa+sightseeing) on my own? Is it significantly cheaper and worth the hassle if booked individually?
vharihar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 18:23   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Is it significantly cheaper and worth the hassle if booked individually?
I guess it would be better if you book a package instead of you doing it on your own. This would save a lot of time and energy in terms of follow ups, knowing where to go, what to book etc. I don’t think the money that you save is worth the efforts.

On the contrary, if you know someone who has got an “Entertainer” or any other discounts app, he/she can get you ‘buy one - > get one free’ or 50% off on many of the attractions / places.
cbatrody is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 18:37   #49
BHPian

Quote:
I guess it would be better if you book a package instead of you doing it on your own. This would save a lot of time and energy in terms of follow ups, knowing where to go, what to book etc. I don’t think the money that you save is worth the efforts.

On the contrary, if you know someone who has got an “Entertainer” or any other discounts app, he/she can get you ‘buy one - > get one free’ or 50% off on many of the attractions / places.
The Entertainer app can only be used by a localite? Or by me too in India?

Regarding non-flight packages, would you recommend travel sites in India like Makemytrip, etc? Or a local one like Arabian Adventures?
vharihar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 00:11   #50
BHPian

Entertainer is a paid app, costs around AED400 to AED500 per year here in Dubai.

It's valid across several countries in Middle & Africa, Europe & Asia (except India).

https://www.theentertainerme.com/

UAE / Dubai Holiday-untitled.jpg

If you ask me, I wouldn't book any non-flight packages. Just book hotel and make a list of places you want to cover, visit one at a time.

This way you can totally control your schedule and the places.
Old 13th September 2017, 20:21   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Entertainer is a paid app, costs around AED400 to AED500 per year here in Dubai.

It's valid across several countries in Middle & Africa, Europe & Asia (except India).

https://www.theentertainerme.com/

Attachment 1674772

If you ask me, I wouldn't book any non-flight packages. Just book hotel and make a list of places you want to cover, visit one at a time.

This way you can totally control your schedule and the places.
Thanks!

We are planning a 5N/6D trip in late Dec. After some research, we’ve shortlisted the following attractions and hotel stay. Can you advise if this looks reasonable?

Hotel: Close to a metro station, probably near Mall of the Emirates

Attractions:
* Day A (day of arrival): Check in to the hotel and in the evening, just drive thru Palm Jumeirah by taxi

* Day B: Visit attractions in the Burj Khalifa/The Dubai Mall area, viz. Dubai Ice Rink, Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo, Burj Khalifa (160 storey tower) and Dubai Fountain (are all doable in one day?)

* Day C: Spend much of the day at IMG Worlds of Adventure (Indoor amusement park). Do some shopping at Dubai Outlet Mall in the latter part of the day.

* Day D: Wild Wadi Water Park as well as try some skiing at Ski Dubai (or should Ski Dubai be done sometime else since hotel is probably nearby?)

* Day E, with maybe an overnight stay: Do a desert-safari-like adventure from, say, Arabian Adventures or Desert Rangers. No idea about this.

* Day F (day of departure): Dubai Garden Glow (assuming departure is a late night flight)

* Also do one of the following on departure Day F (or skip completely?):
* Lego Land
* MotionGate
* Ferrari World (in Abu Dhabi, about 112 kms or 1.5 hrs away)

Does it look doable? Or should we make it 6N/7D?

I know you already answered this, but with the above additional info (shortlisted attractions), would you still recommend booking hotels and attractions on my own? Or booking a package? I guess packages from makemytrip, yatra, etc come in pre-canned flavors. I wonder if they can be customized.

Last edited by vharihar : 13th September 2017 at 20:47.
Old 13th September 2017, 22:08   #52
BHPian

Quote:
* Day B: Visit attractions in the Burj Khalifa/The Dubai Mall area, viz. Dubai Ice Rink, Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo, Burj Khalifa (160 storey tower) and Dubai Fountain (are all doable in one day?)
Yes, all of them can be covered in one day!

Quote:
* Day D: Wild Wadi Water Park as well as try some skiing at Ski Dubai (or should Ski Dubai be done sometime else since hotel is probably nearby?)
Ski Dubai is located in Mall of the Emirates. If you are planning to book a nearby hotel that shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
* Day E, with maybe an overnight stay: Do a desert-safari-like adventure from, say, Arabian Adventures or Desert Rangers. No idea about this.
There are multiple options for Desert Safari, of course, Arabian Adventures is one of the leading players amongst them.

Quote:
* Also do one of the following on departure Day F (or skip completely?):
* Lego Land
* MotionGate
* Ferrari World (in Abu Dhabi, about 112 kms or 1.5 hrs away)

Does it look doable? Or should we make it 6N/7D?
The places that you mentioned looks doable in 5N/6D

There are few more worthy places, like the below if you plan to extend your stay,
- Dolphin Show in Creek Park
- Imagine - Water, Light, Fire Show in Dubai Festival City Mall (this is nearby to the Creek Park)
- Dubai Miracle Garden
- Global Village might open as well by then

If you are planning to visit Abu Dhabi, try to cover Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque apart from Ferrari World, Yas Water World, Yas Mall etc.

Quote:
I know you already answered this, but with the above additional info (shortlisted attractions), would you still recommend booking hotels and attractions on my own? Or booking a package? I guess packages from makemytrip, yatra, etc come in pre-canned flavors. I wonder if they can be customized.
Since you are planning to visit during the Christmas/New year eve, almost everything will be expensive here and most of the hotels overbooked. However, of the places mentioned by you, only desert safari requires you to book the tickets in advance (which can be booked the day you land or the next day), the rest can be booked on the spot.
Old 14th September 2017, 01:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
However, of the places mentioned by you, only desert safari requires you to book the tickets in advance (which can be booked the day you land or the next day), the rest can be booked on the spot.
Hi! I will be visiting Dubai for a 3-Day vacation mid-October (Diwali time). I have been researching on the sight-seeing and it appears viator.com is offering tickets to all the attractions and some combos as well.

During the stay, we plan to cover:
- Palm Jumeirah - Atlantis (Day 1)
- Mall of the Emirates (Day 1)
- Desert Safari (Day 1)
- Gold Souk (Day 2)
- Dubai Mall + Burj Khalifa (Day 2)
- Day Excursion to Abu Dhabi (Covers The Grand Mosque, Marina mall and few more places) (Day 3)
- Dubai Marina (Day 3)

Have booked a hotel next to the Mall of The Emirates, Al Barsha.
Travelling with elderly parents, so don't want to be running around too much. Also no adventure parks on the agenda. Is the weather around that time suitable for afternoon outings? The last time I was there briefly around June and it was quite hot since morning itself.

Does it look okay? Need your advice/suggestions please. Thanks in advance!
powerband_rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 09:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, ...

Since you are planning to visit during the Christmas/New year eve, almost everything will be expensive here and most of the hotels overbooked. However, of the places mentioned by you, only desert safari requires you to book the tickets in advance (which can be booked the day you land or the next day), the rest can be booked on the spot.
Thanks a lot! You've been a great help!
Old 14th September 2017, 12:58   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerband_rider View Post
Does it look okay? Need your advice/suggestions please. Thanks in advance!
The itinerary looks ok for 3 days. However, if you are visiting Abu Dhabi on Day (3), I don't think you can do Dubai Marina on the same day, keeping in mind the travel time from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, which is around 1 hour 30 minutes one way.

I suggest you try "Dhow Cruise Dinner" on one of the evenings, either in Dubai Marina or Dubai Creek. It's really a wonderful experience.

The temperature forecast is around 25' to 35' Celsius in October with late afternoons hitting the lower side of the range. June & July are the hottest months of the year that witness the highest temperature ranging from 40' to 50'.
Old 14th September 2017, 18:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
The itinerary looks ok for 3 days. However, if you are visiting Abu Dhabi on Day (3), I don't think you can do Dubai Marina on the same day, keeping in mind the travel time from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, which is around 1 hour 30 minutes one way.

I suggest you try "Dhow Cruise Dinner" on one of the evenings, either in Dubai Marina or Dubai Creek. It's really a wonderful experience.

The temperature forecast is around 25' to 35' Celsius in October with late afternoons hitting the lower side of the range. June & July are the hottest months of the year that witness the highest temperature ranging from 40' to 50'.
The Abu Dhabi excursion ends by 7:30 pm drop-off time as per the Viator schedule (private car). So I was thinking of heading over to Dubai Marina for a late dinner as its close-by from the hotel and they have a shuttle service too. Anyway will keep your tip in mind.

Dhow Cruise will try and accommodate surely.

The temperatures seem good for morning and evening outings then.

Great, really appreciate the info. Cheers!
powerband_rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 12:16   #57
BHPian

Quote:
... However, of the places mentioned by you, only desert safari requires you to book the tickets in advance (which can be booked the day you land or the next day), the rest can be booked on the spot.
I have some Skywards miles on Emirates, but not enough to use for flights. So I was considering redeeming them to buy vouchers for Arabian Adventures, Wild Wadi, etc (rather than letting them expire). Does anyone have any experience in this?

The specific questions I had are:
1) How do I use these vouchers to buy Dune Safari, etc tickets from Arabian Adventures? Ditto question regarding Wild Wadi vouchers obtained from Emirates. Do these vouchers have a code or something? When I looked at the online purchasing steps on Arabian Adventures web site, it takes only credit cards as payment methods. There doesn't seem any way to enter in a voucher value/code.

2) My son (minor) also has miles. I was considering redeeming my miles as well as my son's miles. We each have enough Skywards miles to individually qualify for these vouchers. What is the procedure to place a voucher order from my son's account? (the procedure is self-evident to order from *my* Skywards account, but not so evident for my son's Skysurfer's account)

2a) Is it possible to combine both orders (ie. the order from my account as well as my from son's account) into one order so that the delivery charge of 1000 Skywards miles is applied only once? (I live in India; the voucher pickup points are only in Dubai. So only feasible option is delivery for which they charge 1000 miles; but I'd hate to pay it twice needlessly!). I believe there is a way to transfer miles from my son to me, but it costs money/miles.
Old 17th September 2017, 15:42   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I have some Skywards miles on Emirates, but not enough to use for flights. So I was considering redeeming them to buy vouchers for Arabian Adventures, Wild Wadi, etc (rather than letting them expire). Does anyone have any experience in this?

The specific questions I had are:
1) How do I use these vouchers to buy Dune Safari, etc tickets from Arabian Adventures?
I guess you would have to get in touch with Emirates Skywards directly if you want to redeem the miles for booking desert safari/wild wadi tickets etc.. I don't think you can do it online by logging into Arabian Adventures / Wild Wadi.
Old 17th September 2017, 16:41   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you would have to get in touch with Emirates Skywards directly if you want to redeem the miles for booking desert safari/wild wadi tickets etc.. I don't think you can do it online by logging into Arabian Adventures / Wild Wadi.
Let me clarify:
Emirates website (Skywards account) lets me redeem miles to purchase vouchers towards attractions like Wild Wadi, etc. Its for a fixed AED amount specifically applicable towards that attraction (eg. see https://www.emirates.com/english/sky...wild-wadi.aspx and scroll down to see the "Spend Miles" section). That gave me the impression that once I have the vouchers, I can subsequently somehow apply them towards booking the actual attraction for a specific date. Its the latter act that has me puzzled. How is it done?

FYI: I have also pinged Emirates regarding this. Awaiting reply ...

Last edited by vharihar : 17th September 2017 at 16:42.
Old 17th September 2017, 17:00   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Let me clarify:
If you go through the Skysurfers Redemption form in the following URL:

https://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/pdf...-Lifestyle.pdf

For Arabian Adventures events, you would have to provide the "Date of Excursion" & the "Tour Name" along with other details like Name, Date of Birth of other accompanies etc., at the time of redemption (i.e, when you fill in the redemption form). Based on the date/event provided by you, Emirates Skywards will issue the tickets for that event. You don't need to rebook/reconfirm with Arabian Adventures but show them the tickets when you arrive at the event.

For Wild Wadi, the tickets are valid for any day up until the expiry date of the ticket.

Also, I enquired with Arabian Adventures here & they confirmed that Emirates Skywards will do the booking and they (AA) don't handle them.

Last edited by cbatrody : 17th September 2017 at 17:21. Reason: few additional lines
cbatrody is offline   Reply With Quote