Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 16:26   #1
BHPian
 
sridhga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 176
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Ahmedabad to Somnath

I plan to go to Somnath from Ahmedabad and back. The distance is about 400 km one way. I heard the road is good until Rajkot. Can this round trip be covered in one day? Any one knows?
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17th July 2008, 16:59   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
ramkya1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 333 Times
Arrow Try In In 2 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
I plan to go to Somnath from Ahmedabad and back. The distance is about 400 km one way. I heard the road is good until Rajkot. Can this round trip be covered in one day? Any one knows?
Hai Sridhga,

I did this sector in 2005, took 3 days for Dwaraka, Somnath, could have easily done it in 2 days. The trip log is attached herewith so that you would know the distances.

http://www.arkzsol.com/TRIP%20LOG%20%20DWARAKA1.htm

The A'bad Rajkoat section is generally good, lots of switch-backs, 4 laning is going on, I did the A'bad-Chotila section 3 times in the last 6 months (chotila to Rajkoat is about 20 Kms)for some business purposes to Thangadh. From Rajkoat to Dwaraka and to Saomnath thro the Porbandar section would be a beautiful drive, roads are OK, single track.

Stay in hotel GuruPrerna @ Dwaraka, they are OK. If you start early in the morning you can reach Dwaraka, cover Bed Dwaraka, stay for the night, drive to Somnath, visit temple and drive back to Ahmedaabd.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=========
Attached Files
File Type: xls TRIP LOG DWARAKA.xls (33.5 KB, 747 views)

Last edited by ramkya1 : 17th July 2008 at 17:01.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 17:19   #3
BHPian
 
sridhga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 176
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Thanks

That was an excellent log Ramkya Thanks a ton. By the way how safe is the boat ride in Dwarka? Especially during the rainy season?
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 17:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 8,283
Thanked: 1,601 Times
Default

Ramky, he's looking for AMD-Somnath only. I guess it can be done in 24 hrs, with sufficient time for darshan.

Is there some new work on the AMD-RAJ section ? IIRC, there was just a couple of switch backs.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 00:05   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
ramkya1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 333 Times
Arrow More Switch Backs Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ramky, he's looking for AMD-Somnath only. I guess it can be done in 24 hrs, with sufficient time for darshan.

Is there some new work on the AMD-RAJ section ? IIRC, there was just a couple of switch backs.
Hai Condor,

I remember, last time you were in Rajkoat, I was in Thangarh, we missed each other by a whisker

Last week someone went to Rajkoat, there are still 5/6 switchbacks, specially after Shyla, road work going on. They have just declared this corridor, 225 kms, to be upgraded to a 6 lane, more chaios to follow!!!

Yes, Ahmedabad-Somnath can be done in a day; it would be much more enjoyable if one can do it on a Saturday+Sunday, stay at Dwaraka on saturday night, you can cover Bed Dwaraka, cover a Jyothirlinga temple (don't remember the name now), evening darshan at Dwaraka proper, early morning to Samnath, cover Sashan Gir Safari too and be back to Ahemdabad by 6/7 pm.

Sridhga,

I dont think there's any danger, its just a short ride away, you can reach the boat-jetty, see the scene and decide.

--Ramky
==========



--Ramky
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 00:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,736
Thanked: 1,495 Times
Default

There is a forest route via Velavadar.

abad - bagodara - valabhipur - Amreli - Dhari - Una for Diu or the kodinar route for somanath.

Do post pics when you return. This would be a lovely time in the forest.

/misses amdavad.
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 10:37   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
ramkya1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 333 Times
Arrow AMRELI TO UNa

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
There is a forest route via Velavadar.

abad - bagodara - valabhipur - Amreli - Dhari - Una for Diu or the kodinar route for somanath.

Do post pics when you return. This would be a lovely time in the forest.

/misses amdavad.
Phamilyman,

This route is the most scenic, if you have the time and a good SUV. My son went to Diu, June 2nd week, with friends, the section from Amreli to Diu was not so good, their Qualis had to struggle thro. potholes, bumpy roads on this section; smaller cars would be pounded.

Moreover, after June, there has been heavy rains in and around this section, bound to have worsened. Don't know this moths updates.

--Ramky
===========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 12:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 8,283
Thanked: 1,601 Times
Default

Quote:
ramkya1 : Ahmedabad-Somnath can be done in a day; it would be much more enjoyable if one can do it on a Saturday+Sunday, stay at Dwaraka on saturday night, you can cover Bed Dwaraka, cover a Jyothirlinga temple (don't remember the name now), evening darshan at Dwaraka proper, early morning to Samnath, cover Sashan Gir Safari too and be back to Ahemdabad by 6/7 pm.
Will need about a day in Dwarka itself to cover Dwarka, the Jyotirling temple & Bet Dwarka.

It should take about 4-5 hours to cover the 200 km from Dwarka to Somnath (Veraval). If you are going to do Gir also, then two days will not be enough.

Just in case you do drive through Amreli, then pls dont expect the roads to be all good. The regular roads were fine. But the ones through the forest & interior areas can be bad
Quote:
ramkya1 : I dont think there's any danger, its just a short ride away, you can reach the boat-jetty, see the scene and decide.
The boat ride to Dwarka should not be a problem. If the weather is too bad, then the boats would not be taken out by the operators. These boats are big enough to take atleast 50 people.

The ride takes about 10-15 min.
Quote:
ramkya1 : I remember, last time you were in Rajkoat, I was in Thangarh, we missed each other by a whisker
Yes, Ramki - too bad. We tried so much in AMD-GNR too, but just were not able to meet. When are you coming down to BLR next ?

Quote:
ramkya1 : They have just declared this corridor, 225 kms, to be upgraded to a 6 lane, more chaos to follow!!!
Exactly - more chaos on what has so far been a really good stretch of highway. But got to appreciate Guj for the work that's being done on their roads & highways.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:46   #9
BHPian
 
sridhga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 176
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Thanks

Thank You all of you, Ramky, Condor and Phamilyman. I managed to cover Dwarka, Somnath and drove through Gir forest in two days. I will give a detailed report in a couple of days. Right nw am caught up with work. Once again thanks for all the advice.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:53   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,736
Thanked: 1,495 Times
Default

oh okay.

Well once upon a november in 2004, I did diu to ahmedabad in all of 8.5 hours through that route including pics/asking around. And I was on my trusty caliber

PS: Time to update your signature mileage?
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 18:31   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,156
Thanked: 4,012 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad to Somnath

Opening an old thread.

Need the following information:


- Is this E-W corridor 4-laning complete till Rajkot? Where does it extend to? Is it 4-lane all the way till Veraval?
- How is the Somnath-Dwarka road condition via Porbandar?
- How is Dwarka-Rajkot?


- Bypass info for all the routes would be useful
- What are the places to break for all the three sections.

(I am looking at AMD-Somnath-Dwarka-AMD)

Last edited by ampere : 1st March 2012 at 18:33.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 18:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 2,463 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad to Somnath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Opening an old thread.

Need the following information:


- Is this E-W corridor 4-laning complete till Rajkot? Where does it extend to? Is it 4-lane all the way till Veraval?
- How is the Somnath-Dwarka road condition via Porbandar?
- How is Dwarka-Rajkot?


- Bypass info for all the routes would be useful
- What are the places to break for all the three sections.

(I am looking at AMD-Somnath-Dwarka-AMD)
I omitted Somnath from my list during my last trip in Oct 11 due to bad road conditions reported between Junagarh and Somnath. I opted to drive From Rajkot all the way till Porbandar and then took the coastal highway to Dwarka.
The condition of this road is good and drive-worthy (2 lane).

From Ahmedabad all the way till Porbandar is excellent 4 lane road and no issues with that. Rajkot has a bypass and Porbandar IIRC does not but it usually is not a pain to pass the Gandhian town.

You can wait for some responses on the road conditions between Junagarh-Smomanth and then Somnath-Dwarka (last I heard was this 2 lane was in good shape too) and then decide on the final route plan.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st March 2012 at 19:03.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 19:08   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,156
Thanked: 4,012 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad to Somnath

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I omitted Somnath from my list during my last trip in Oct 11 due to bad road conditions reported between Junagarh and Somnath. I opted to drive From Rajkot all the way till Porbandar and then took the coastal highway to Dwarka.
The condition of this road is good and drive-worthy (2 lane).
Thanks Parag.

Plans for Somnath are already firmed up (for whom I seek information) . So no escaping the bad roads.

Meanwhile what are the decent places to break on the highway?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 19:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 2,463 Times
Default Re: Ahmedabad to Somnath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks Parag.

Plans for Somnath are already firmed up (for whom I seek information) . So no escaping the bad roads.

Meanwhile what are the decent places to break on the highway?
I am sure the road conditions between Rajkot-Junagarh-Veraval(Somnath) will be good now.

I may not be the right person to help you with places to break since I stayed at my in law's place while in Rajkot and I drove each of these places staying overnight at my relative's place.

Ahmedabad-Rajkot can be sedately done in 3 hours and you can break at one of many hotels on the highway where you spot Volvos and cars parked. I forgot the name of the place but will be closer to Limdi.

Since I don't have info on Somnath, I may not have details again.

But in Dwarka, I will highly recommend Kolila Dhiraj Dham where we stayed. It is a dormitory run by RIL and total value for money.

Some more info on the place:
http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...a_Gujarat.html

EDIT: Additional info while in Dwarka, please have Bet Dwarka and Nageshwar Jyotirlinga though I am sure you will have this in your itinerary.

Last edited by paragsachania : 1st March 2012 at 19:20.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 22:51   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
ramkya1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 333 Times
Arrow Re: Ahmedabad to Somnath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Opening an old thread.

Need the following information:


- Is this E-W corridor 4-laning complete till Rajkot? Where does it extend to? Is it 4-lane all the way till Veraval?
- How is the Somnath-Dwarka road condition via Porbandar?
- How is Dwarka-Rajkot?


- Bypass info for all the routes would be useful
- What are the places to break for all the three sections.

(I am looking at AMD-Somnath-Dwarka-AMD)

Hai,

Let me know what help you'd need in Ahmedabad, around. Here's a thread from which you'd get loads of information on distance, road conditions and options etc.,

No worries on A'bad Dwaraka, 4 lane all the way, toll most of the way, 5-6 hrs. From there to Somnath is also pretty good.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...lion-king.html (Gir Forest - rendezevous with the Lion King)

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=======
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Short Trip-Ahmedabad-Shirdi-Ahmedabad ramkya1 Travelogues 37 13th June 2013 15:47
Ahmedabad - Jodhpur - Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Ahmedabad? issigonis Route / Travel Queries 5 18th February 2013 15:50
Planning 7 day trip : Ahmedabad - Sasan Gir - Somnath - Dwarka SDP Route / Travel Queries 41 4th December 2012 15:26
Thoughts on Ahmedabad - Leh - Kashmir - Ahmedabad (June-July 2009) rlakhanpal Route / Travel Queries 8 18th April 2009 11:26
Ahmedabad-Rishikesh-Ahmedabad+4000KM Report ramkya1 Travelogues 9 10th September 2007 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks