Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:49   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 206
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Dear Chevy lover,

Great drive you are planning. The Kerala police have purchased some speed radar and they are using it to monitor speeding vehicles. I was in Kerala in January 2011, and was caught driving 80kmph on the Kottayam-Ernakulam road slightly before Thaloyolaparambu; the speed restriction was 40kmph on this stretch. The fine was 300 rupees and they very nicely explained that there were several accidents on this route. I have also heard that radar checks take place in NH47 between Trivandrum and Ernakulam.

So stick to the posted speed limits and do not exceed +10kmph of the restrictions. Have a wonderful and safe trip.

Regards

Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:34   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Chevy_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Köln
Posts: 1,209
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Thank you for the suggestions, Kumar sir, Ampere & Sajinsalin.

We will be going to Velankanni from Trivandrum. I will take this route ;Tvm - Madurai -(any other important town enroute?) - Trichy - Tanjavur - V'kanni. From V'kanni, we intend to go to Munnar and Kodai, before returning home.

I prefer 4 lane roads. So I will be going via Dindigul.

During my backpacking trip in 1996, I travelled in a Tempo Traveller from Poopara to Theni, and then to Kodai. I still remember the ghat roads I travelled through! Is that ghat called Bodi? It was so scary then! I have to drive through that route with my dearie!!

I think a good circuit would be Tvm - V'kanni - Trichy - Theni - Munnar - Theni - Kodai - Trichy - Salem - Pune. Any other suggestions, friends?

Can you guide me with a precise route map with town names, Kumar sir? It is so easy to drive that way. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 2nd July 2011 at 23:39.
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:49   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
I will take this route ;Tvm - Madurai -(any other important town enroute?) - Trichy - Tanjavur - V'kanni. From V'kanni, we intend to go to Munnar and Kodai, before returning home.

I travelled in a Tempo Traveller from Poopara to Theni, and then to Kodai. I still remember the ghat roads I travelled through! Is that ghat called Bodi? It was so scary then! I have to drive through that route with my dearie!!

I think a good circuit would be Tvm - V'kanni - Trichy - Theni - Munnar - Theni - Kodai - Trichy - Salem - Pune. Any other suggestions, friends?
Yes, the ghat that comes between Poopara & Theni is the Bodi medu-Bodinayakanaur section which sees a steep descent to the plains. Nowadays, the road is in good condition, nothing to be worried about.

Although 4-laned roads are tempting, the ECR is an incredibly fast and god road between Tuticorin & Velankanni!

You may want to consider taking the Tirupattur-Pudukottai-Thanjavur route (off the Madurai-Trichy road) to avoid the longer route via Trichy.

Detailed route:
Trivandrum-Velankanni
Trivandrum-Nagercoil-Nanguneri-Tirunelveli-Virudhunagar-Madurai bypass-Melur-Tirupattur-Pudukottai-Thiruvarur-Velankanni


Velankanni-Munnar
Velankanni-Thiruvarur-Thanjavur-Trichy-Manaparai-Dindigul-Vathalagundu-Periakulam-Theni-Bodinayakanur-Bodi medu-Poopara-Periakanal-Munnar
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:55   #64
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
I think a good circuit would be Tvm - V'kanni - Trichy - Theni - Munnar - Theni - Kodai - Trichy - Salem - Pune. Any other suggestions, friends?
Why Trichy in between?
You can do Kodai-Dindugal-Salem-Pune.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:23   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
Chevy_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Köln
Posts: 1,209
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Thanks a lot, Kumar sir and Ampere.

I will try the Pudukottai route to V'kanni this time, if it is faster and if the road is in good condition. So, do I have to take a diversion from Madurai? Is this road accessible from Madurai byepass?

From Munnar, I guess I have to come till Theni, byepass it and then take the left turn from the highway to go to Kodai. When I return from Kodai, I can come directly to Salem via Dindigul. Correct?
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 01:58   #66
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

That is correct CL.

Here a Google route Link (TVM-Velamkanni-Munnar-Kodai-Salem). As usual waiting for an incredible TL!

Trivandrum, Kerala to Salem, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:01   #67
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,817
Thanked: 4,763 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
From V'kanni, we intend to go to Munnar and Kodai, before returning home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Trivandrum-Velankanni
Trivandrum-Nagercoil-Nanguneri-Tirunelveli-Virudhunagar-Madurai bypass-Melur-Tirupattur-Pudukottai-Thiruvarur-Velankanni


Velankanni-Munnar
Velankanni-Thiruvarur-Thanjavur-Trichy-Manaparai-Dindigul-Vathalagundu-Periakulam-Theni-Bodinayakanur-Bodi medu-Poopara-Periakanal-Munnar
@Chevy_lover since you intend to go to Munnar and Kodai, here's a small change I'd suggest in addition to what hvk sir has mentioned (do Velankanni-Kodai and then Kodai-Munnar).
Velankanni-Kodai
Velankanni-Thiruvarur-Thanjavur-Trichy-Manaparai-Dindigul-Vathalagundu-Kodai

Kodai-Munnar
Kodai-Vathalagundu-Periakulam-Theni-Bodinayakanur-Bodi medu-Poopara-Periakanal-Munnar

And from Munnar if you're planning to return to Pune, you can try the other route from Munnar via Marayoor-Chinnar-Udumalaipet-Pollachi-Coimbatore-Salem where you're back on NH7 for your return to Pune.

EDIT: Alternatively, like in Ampere's route map - you can do Velankanni-Munnar and then Munnar-Kodai (both are via Vathalagundu). In that case, if you're returning to Pune, you can take Kodai-Vathalagundu-Dindigul where your're back on NH7 .
Hope this helps and I'm not confusing you !

Last edited by NPV : 3rd July 2011 at 09:16.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 09:27   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Thanks a lot, Kumar sir and Ampere.

I will try the Pudukottai route to V'kanni this time, if it is faster and if the road is in good condition. So, do I have to take a diversion from Madurai? Is this road accessible from Madurai byepass?

From Munnar, I guess I have to come till Theni, byepass it and then take the left turn from the highway to go to Kodai. When I return from Kodai, I can come directly to Salem via Dindigul. Correct?
When you are coming from Trivandrum, you take the Madurai bypass after Thirumanagalam. Just to clarify, there are 2 bypasses for Madurai now, the firs being the NH7 bypass to Dindigul (which goes straight) and the second bypass which connects to NH45A (towards Tuticorin), NH49 (towards Rameswaram) and the Viralimalai-Trichy SH. You have to turn right off NH7 onto this bypass (clear signages pointing to Tuticorin, Rameswaram & Trichy), and you will hit the Trichy highway and reach Melur where you turn off for Tirupattur & Pudukottai.

There is no bypass for Theni. You will come down from Munnar via Poopara, Bodi medu & Bodinayakanur to Theni. Just before town, you will turn left at the junction of NH49 (the highway you are in) and NH220 (coming from Kottayam-Kumili). At Theni town, go straight towards Dindigul via Periakulam & Vathalagundu (in the town, the right goes to Madurai).
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:11   #69
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

HVK, Just a query. I was checking Google maps. The distance from Melur to Tanjore is almost same when taken via Trichy versus Puddukottai. (146 versus 159).

Can you confirm that? If that is true, CL can take the 4L itself all the way uptill Tanjore. Is it not?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:49   #70
BHPian
 
aks2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kochi/Toronto
Posts: 62
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Which is the better option to drive from Alleppy to Trivandrum? Should I stay on NH or should I take a detour to Changanachrry and take the MC road. I understand that MC road from Chengannur to Trivandrum is in good condition.
aks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:49   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
HVK, Just a query. I was checking Google maps. The distance from Melur to Tanjore is almost same when taken via Trichy versus Puddukottai. (146 versus 159).

Can you confirm that? If that is true, CL can take the 4L itself all the way uptill Tanjore. Is it not?
As per my log books, the Thanjavur-Pudukottai-Melur sector distances are:
Thanjavur, 0 kms
Pudukottai, 32 kms
Tirupattur, 75 kms
Melur, 33 kms
or Melur-Thanjavur via Pudukottai is 140 kms

Thanjavur-Trichy-Melur distance is as follows:
Thanjavur,0 kms
Trichy, 60 kms
Melur, 103 kms
or Melur-Thanjavur via Trichy is 163 kms
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:53   #72
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

That makes sense. What I meant was, the difference is negligible given the advantage of a 4L. How easy is the bypass at Trichy from NH45B to NH67?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:57   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
Which is the better option to drive from Alleppy to Trivandrum? Should I stay on NH or should I take a detour to Changanachrry and take the MC road. I understand that MC road from Chengannur to Trivandrum is in good condition.
Trivandrum-Alapuzha on NH47 via Kollam is the direct and a clean route, is 166 kms.

Trivandrum-Changanaserry-Monkombu-Alapuzha is 163 kms

Surpising, I did not realise that it was shorter to go via MC Road and SH20 to Alappuzha.

But NH47 is preferred any day, MC Road is very curvy and extremely slow by day.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:01   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
That makes sense. What I meant was, the difference is negligible given the advantage of a 4L. How easy is the bypass at Trichy from NH45B to NH67?
Very easy, when you are coming from Madurai via Melur & Viralimalai, you merge into the Trichy "bypass" on NH45 (running from Madras to Dindigul) and watch out for the right turn to NH67 towards Thanjavur at the northern end of the bypass. You can't miss it.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:30   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
Chevy_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Köln
Posts: 1,209
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Route query - Pune to Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@Chevy_lover since you intend to go to Munnar and Kodai, here's a small change I'd suggest in addition to what hvk sir has mentioned (do Velankanni-Kodai and then Kodai-Munnar).
Velankanni-Kodai
Velankanni-Thiruvarur-Thanjavur-Trichy-Manaparai-Dindigul-Vathalagundu-Kodai

Kodai-Munnar
Kodai-Vathalagundu-Periakulam-Theni-Bodinayakanur-Bodi medu-Poopara-Periakanal-Munnar

And from Munnar if you're planning to return to Pune, you can try the other route from Munnar via Marayoor-Chinnar-Udumalaipet-Pollachi-Coimbatore-Salem where you're back on NH7 for your return to Pune.

EDIT: Alternatively, like in Ampere's route map - you can do Velankanni-Munnar and then Munnar-Kodai (both are via Vathalagundu). In that case, if you're returning to Pune, you can take Kodai-Vathalagundu-Dindigul where your're back on NH7 .
Hope this helps and I'm not confusing you !
Thank you for the suggestion, NPV.

The circuit you suggested makes better sense. I remember taking a right turn somewhere, from the Vathalagundu - Theni road, to go to Kodai, during my trip in 2009. I drove through that stretch in the middle of the night, with a torrential downpour for company. Visibility was less than 10 metres!!!

And when I return from Kodai, I can just come down the ghats and rejoin the road to Theni, and drive onwards to Munnar. This will prevent me from driving again and again on the same route. Perfect suggestion! Thank you once again, NPV.

Hvk sir, Ampere Bhai, NPV, how is the Munnar - Chinnar - Palani - Coimbatore stretch? I have read here that this stretch is very beautiful. How long is it? Do I have to come down to Pooppara to join this highway? Or is there any other way?

How far is Salem from Coimbatore? I guess I have to drive through Annur, Avinashi and Erode. Some stretch is still two laned and I read here that road work is in progress? Any idea on the road condition now?

I did this drive (Coimbatore - Erode)in 2010, when I returned from Ooty after meeting my sister and fly. Still remember the mouth watering, delicious food we had from Annapoorna! Idiappam and Kuruma!! Zimbly AWESOME! Isn't that restaurant your favourite, Hvk sir?

At that time, we stayed back at Erode and then drove to Velankanni, the next day. What are your suggestions now, dear friends?
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune to Dandeli - Route Query pjbiju Route / Travel Queries 19 8th November 2015 12:59
Route Query : Pune-Shimoga-Coorg-Varca-Amboli-Pune amoghchaphalkar Route / Travel Queries 22 21st September 2014 11:49
Trivandrum to Madikeri Route query. rayygeorge Route / Travel Queries 17 19th March 2014 14:17
Trivandrum to Srirangam Route Query simplyself Route / Travel Queries 7 25th November 2011 15:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:50.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks