Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2011, 20:17   #316
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 761
Thanked: 274 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Just returned after a great trip to Marayur and back. The roads are just great all the way to Udumalpet. From Bangalore to Salem and on to Perundurai is the 4 lane GQ. Perundurai to Udumalpet via Kangeyam and Dharapuram is a lovely stretch of State Highway with an excellent surface, thanks to Tamil Nadu Highways Dept. Udumalpet to Marayur is also good, but for the narrow ghat section and the surface not as good as the road till Udumalpet. Also the 4 checkposts in close proximity of each other in Chinnar are a pain as you have to disembark and provide your details. Did some good speeds on certain stretches of the GQ. The overall mileage was 17 kmpl on the Verna CRDI.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 15th August 2011 at 20:18.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 15:39   #317
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 65
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Returned from Munnar yesterday. Latest updates.
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindugul-Theni-Munnar : In bad shape after Bodi, when you start climbing up for Munnar. Looks like rain has caused heavy damage.

Munnar - Udumalpettai - perundurai -Salem - Bangalore : Good road all along ( in Maravayoor, Chinnar)
yogesh.janghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 18:43   #318
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.janghel View Post
Returned from Munnar yesterday. Latest updates.
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindugul-Theni-Munnar : In bad shape after Bodi, when you start climbing up for Munnar. Looks like rain has caused heavy damage.

Munnar - Udumalpettai - perundurai -Salem - Bangalore : Good road all along ( in Maravayoor, Chinnar)
Thats interesting...I did the route to Munnar last week and the roads around Bodi were Ok.....did it rain bad in the last few days ?

The stretch till Dindigul on NH7 was really nice, was driving at 150 KMPH in the Avis Innova for long stretches.

Just got back to Hyd after three nights in Munnar and two in Thekkadi.

If anyone is planning a trip to Thekkadi please note due to the rains there are hardly any animals visible and the entire forest is infested with leaches that are disgusting.....better to stay away till the end of the rains
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 17:49   #319
BHPian
 
bijuks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Thats interesting...I did the route to Munnar last week and the roads around Bodi were Ok.....did it rain bad in the last few days ?
Anyone has any updates on the Bodi-Bodimettu road? I'm planning a trip this saturday.
bijuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 22:00   #320
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,048
Thanked: 550 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Anyone has any updates on the Bodi-Bodimettu road? I'm planning a trip this saturday.
It's in pretty decent condition. (Passed through that stretch on Sunday evening.) Some rough stretches near Bodi town, but nothing to really worry about.

Last edited by kala : 24th August 2011 at 22:02.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 21:11   #321
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vellore
Posts: 16
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Hi all. I'm back on the forum after much long gap (five months actually!!), mainly because I was busy shifting my base from Chandigarh to Bangalore!! And now being here in Bangalore, I'm eager to check out the places around. Had been to Coorg and Ooty, really liked them. Now i'm planning to do Bangalore-Munnar this weekend on my Swift D, so need your valuable advice/help on the same. Which route is better to go to Munnar from Bangalore? The road frequented by team bhpians or the other one through Coimbatore that I somehow got through google maps. The two routes are: Route 1: Bangalore->Hosur->Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri->Salem->Perundurai->Avanashi->Madattukkulam->Udumalaippettai->Maraiyoor->Munnar Route 2: Bangalore->Kanakpura->Coimbatore->Pollachi->Udumalaippettai(Via NH-209) ->Maraiyoor->Munnar Also what's the likely condtion of the road then, as it will be peak monsoon time? If any other valuable suggestion, plz don't hesitate.

The route Bangalore > Mysore > Chamrajnagar >Satyamangalam > Coimbatore >Udumalaipet > Chinnar > Munnar will be easier than via kanakapura, though it is a little longer. There are hardly any tolls, but the road is 2 lane most of the way, though pretty good. Chinnar is a nice place where you might get to see wild elephants if you are into that sort of thing. I had a herd behind and a herd cross me just in front - i had to stop and wait for them to pass!

If you dont mind tolls, take the 4-lane Bangalore > Krishnagiri > Salem > Namakkal > Theni > Munnar. The road is better overall and the Theni Munnar road is better than Udumalaipet Munnar. You can maintain better speed but the distance is a little longer.

From my experience, Google maps directions are not the best routes to take. Most often, it gives you shorter routes with LOUSY roads. If you like your car you could spare her the bad roads!
paulprv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 23:10   #322
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,048
Thanked: 550 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulprv View Post
The route Bangalore > Mysore > Chamrajnagar >Satyamangalam > Coimbatore >Udumalaipet > Chinnar > Munnar will be easier than via kanakapura, though it is a little longer.
Disagree. I am a regular on the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamarajnagar route. I normally take 2.5 hours from Bangalore (near Banashankari) to Chamarajanagar, and the drive is absolutely stress-free, even with the road near Kollegal town having become somewhat worse recently. (Actually a couple of weeks ago I did the distance in 2 hrs 10 minutes because I started early at 5 AM). There's no way you're going to reach Chamarajnagar via Mysore in less time than that, and you also have to live with the monster speedbreakers and the heavier traffic on SH17 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulprv View Post
From my experience, Google maps directions are not the best routes to take. Most often, it gives you shorter routes with LOUSY roads. If you like your car you could spare her the bad roads!
Agree 100%. The timing shown by Google Maps is very very unreliable, it doesn't have too much of understanding of road conditions. (I'm sure Google maps will tell you even now that one can get from Palghat to Trichur in an hour or so )
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 01:03   #323
BHPian
 
asethi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 371
Thanked: 37 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulprv View Post
The route Bangalore > Mysore > Chamrajnagar >Satyamangalam > Coimbatore >Udumalaipet > Chinnar > Munnar will be easier than via kanakapura, though it is a little longer. There are hardly any tolls, but the road is 2 lane most of the way, though pretty good. Chinnar is a nice place where you might get to see wild elephants if you are into that sort of thing. I had a herd behind and a herd cross me just in front - i had to stop and wait for them to pass!

If you dont mind tolls, take the 4-lane Bangalore > Krishnagiri > Salem > Namakkal > Theni > Munnar. The road is better overall and the Theni Munnar road is better than Udumalaipet Munnar. You can maintain better speed but the distance is a little longer.

From my experience, Google maps directions are not the best routes to take. Most often, it gives you shorter routes with LOUSY roads. If you like your car you could spare her the bad roads!
Thanks for the info buddy, but this was 3 years back! I was surprised to see reply to this very old post!!
I've been to Munnar thrice since then, through various routes!!
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 21:22   #324
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vellore
Posts: 16
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Oops! I actually didn't see any dates... i just saw a message in my mail and this is where I landed!

All the same I think it might be useful to some traveler some day.
paulprv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 21:25   #325
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vellore
Posts: 16
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Hi all. I'm back on the forum after much long gap (five months actually!!), mainly because I was busy shifting my base from Chandigarh to Bangalore!! And now being here in Bangalore, I'm eager to check out the places around. Had been to Coorg and Ooty, really liked them. Now i'm planning to do Bangalore-Munnar this weekend on my Swift D, so need your valuable advice/help on the same. Which route is better to go to Munnar from Bangalore? The road frequented by team bhpians or the other one through Coimbatore that I somehow got through google maps. The two routes are: Route 1: Bangalore->Hosur->Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri->Salem->Perundurai->Avanashi->Madattukkulam->Udumalaippettai->Maraiyoor->Munnar Route 2: Bangalore->Kanakpura->Coimbatore->Pollachi->Udumalaippettai(Via NH-209) ->Maraiyoor->Munnar Also what's the likely condtion of the road then, as it will be peak monsoon time? If any other valuable suggestion, plz don't hesitate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Disagree. I am a regular on the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamarajnagar route. I normally take 2.5 hours from Bangalore (near Banashankari) to Chamarajanagar, and the drive is absolutely stress-free, even with the road near Kollegal town having become somewhat worse recently. (Actually a couple of weeks ago I did the distance in 2 hrs 10 minutes because I started early at 5 AM). There's no way you're going to reach Chamarajnagar via Mysore in less time than that, and you also have to live with the monster speedbreakers and the heavier traffic on SH17 !



Agree 100%. The timing shown by Google Maps is very very unreliable, it doesn't have too much of understanding of road conditions. (I'm sure Google maps will tell you even now that one can get from Palghat to Trichur in an hour or so )
I took 13 hours this may from Trivandrum to Kalpetta and I drove all the way on 'National Highways'!!! Driving is a pleasure anywhere other than in Kerala. In kerala, the good old bullock cart rocks!
paulprv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 14:31   #326
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,024
Thanked: 214 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

A quick update on routes to Munnar after my recent drive.

Onward: Bangalore - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Theni - Bodinayakanur‎ - Chinnakannal [520 kms/8 hours of driving time]

Excellent roads all the way. Watch out for the Theni exit from Dindigul bypass, it is not very well marked.

Return: Chinnakannal - Munnar - Marayoor - Udumalaipettai - Dharapuram - Kangeyam - Perundurai - Bhavani - Salem - Bangalore [500 kms/8.5 hours of driving time]

Again, excellent roads all the way. All the state highways in TN were AWESOME, mouth-watering runways! I wish KA roads were at least half as good

Last edited by cool_dube : 5th September 2011 at 14:34.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 14:36   #327
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

At Dindigul bypass one needs to look for the signs to Kodikanal and follow these as the exit is not marked with Theni at all.

The exit to Kodaikanal is marked and for some of the distance the road to Theni and Kodai are the same and once you are on it you will be able to keep going to Theni
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 12:53   #328
BHPian
 
kartikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 139
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

I wish I asked this before, planning for a trip to Munnar tomorrow, actually Surianelli, which route to take

Option 1: NH7 all the way then Dindigul - Theni - Chinnakanal.

Option 2: NH7 then NH49 towards Avinashi - Udumalaipettai - Marayur - Munnar (simply because its more sceinc and the travel would be more exciting). I prefer this one. Will start early to ensure reaching Chinnar before 6pm.

wish to know anyone recently travelled, how was the road condition?

Thanks in advance.
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 12:58   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Take option 1 ...better roads and faster driving times ....I loved the stretchs on NH 7..

Take the road towards Kodai from Dindigal bypas as Theni is not signposted there and not many people I asked for directions knew about Theni.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2011, 22:43   #330
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,062
Thanked: 3,367 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
I wish I asked this before, planning for a trip to Munnar tomorrow, actually Surianelli, which route to take

Option 1: NH7 all the way then Dindigul - Theni - Chinnakanal.

Option 2: NH7 then NH49 towards Avinashi - Udumalaipettai - Marayur - Munnar (simply because its more sceinc and the travel would be more exciting). I prefer this one. Will start early to ensure reaching Chinnar before 6pm.

wish to know anyone recently travelled, how was the road condition?

Thanks in advance.
Chinnakanal is closer from the Theni-Bodi-Poopara side.
If you take Option 2, you will first reach Munnar town and then you have to drive another 20 odd Km on the hills to reach Chinnakanal which is going to take an hour at least.
Proceed on NH7 and near Dindigul take the Kodaikanal exit (NH45) towards Bathlakundu, then proceed towards Periyakulam and Theni (don't take the right turn at Bathlakundu to Kodaikanal ).

Last edited by NPV : 5th October 2011 at 22:46.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2539 5th December 2016 22:53
Cochin - Munnar : Route/Climate Queries govigov Route / Travel Queries 16 28th December 2015 16:15
Bangalore - Delhi - Srinagar - Delhi - Bangalore : Route Queries micrographics Route / Travel Queries 8 27th November 2015 14:47
Getting drenched in Munnar (Bangalore to Munnar and Kannur) longdriveblusky Travelogues 12 20th November 2012 15:44
Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries sumannandy Route / Travel Queries 49 12th October 2012 16:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks