Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 7th May 2012, 14:23   #436

Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Shinth, it would be good if you could avoid abbreviations that aren't very common. May be people who have been reading all your previous messages on this thread may understand what HRFP or CM means, but I'm afraid a lot of other readers who might really want to utilize the feedback from you (regarding whatever these establishments are) would miss out on doing so because of these acronyms.

P.S. I did manage to crack CM - It is Club Mahindra, right ? Your last message which had references to CMH had me thinking of Chinmaya Mission Hospital - lol !!
Kala thanks for pointing that out. Will make note of the same for future posts. CM - yes it is Club Mahindra and HRFP - Hotel Rockfort Palace.
shinthray is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 17:59   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
So the choice is between Hyd-->Ooty-->Cochin and Hyd-->Munnar-->Cochin. As it will be during monsoons, I'd prefer a better road surface. So will this route be better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
In monsoons its a totally different terrain in Kerala. So cant say how the situation will be then. Even access to Ooty some times gets difficult. At least the road to Munnar would be clear.
I second ampere here - ooty in monsoons is a bit of a gamble. The terrain on the approach route to ooty is a little risky and prone to frequent landslides in monsoons. A couple of years back, the ooty-coonoor approach road fully collapsed in landslides after heavy rains, and the towns were cut off for a couple of days. Munnar is a better bet in the rains, but it would keep on raining and raining and raining all day long. Also in the monsoons, the Udumalpet-marayoor-munnar route is usually in better shape than the Dindigul-Theni-munnar route.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 15:48   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Just got back from a trip to Munanr. Used Marayur road to go and Theni route to return.
How about the condition of Roads? Which ghat section seems to be better? Udumalpet-Munnar or Bodi-Munnar?
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 16:12   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
How about the condition of Roads? Which ghat section seems to be better? Udumalpet-Munnar or Bodi-Munnar?
Both roads are good - no pot holes, etc. Udumalpet-Munnar is a narrow road though forest with few check posts. Bodi-Munnar is wider road but with many hairpin bends and likely to be foggy as well. I would recommend Udumalpet-Munnar road. See the Bodi section below:

Name:  Picture 10.png
Views: 1161
Size:  51.1 KB
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 19:53   #440
ksm

Now I see there are two routes:

1. Bangalore - Hosur -Salem-Perundurai-Udumulaipettai-Munnar
2. Bangalore - Chamarajanagr - Coimbatore - Udumulaipettai-Munnar

Please suggest which is better and faster
ksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 21:04   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm

Kanakpura road is not an option for Munnar. You would lose too much time crossing CBE. The GQ is much faster. The four lane opens up even further after Krishnagiri. If you start at four you would not even see the bad patches/widening aspects on the Hosur-Krishnagiri sector.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 21:59   #442
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm View Post
You can take the route # 1 that you mentioned:
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Perundurai-Udumalaipet-Marayoor-Munnar
Note that there are a few different variations of routes for Perundurai-Udumalaipet. Ones I know of are:
a)Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet
b)Perundurai-Kangeyam-Palladam-Udumalaipet
(Maybe Ampere/HVK or someone else can say which would be better)

Where in Munnar do you plan to stay ? I'm asking since the other route via Dindigul-Theni-Bodi is closer for hotels/resorts in Chinnakanal area like Sterling, Club Mahindra, etc. You can also try that route on your return journey.

Last edited by NPV : 9th May 2012 at 22:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 22:02   #443
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @ampere and @KarthkK. Going by your feedback, I am tentatively advancing my trip to mid June in order to avoid bad roads (hopefully it would not have rained too much by then) and also to take advantage of hotel discounts as holidays would be over by then.

The plan is to do Hyd->Mysore on day 1 and then relax there overnight. Start early morning on day 2 to Ooty. Spend day 3 there at Ooty and Coonoor.

On day 4, drive to Cochin. Spend day 5 there. On day 6 visit Allepppey. Munnar on day 7. Drive back to Bangalore on day 8 and to Hyd on day 9.

Typically this would start on a Saturday and end on a Sunday. Does this sound good?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 22:38   #444
ksm

Thanks NPV,

I am planning to Stay at Royal Retreat or Ayur county. As I have not been to Munnar wanted to pick a hotel that would be close to a good veg. restaurant(my mom would not eat in a non-veg. restaurant). Any recomendations for stay would be welcome.

Also, while going this is the route I am taking:

1. Hyderabad to Kanipakkam (visit temple)
2. Kanipakkam to Vellore (visit golden temple)
3. Vellore to Tiruvarur (visit Tyagaraja's birth place)
4. Tiruvarur to Tanjavur (visit Brihadeeswaralayam)
5. Tanjavur to Trichy (visit Srirangam, Jambukeswaram and Rockfort temple)
6. Trichy to Munnar

Quite a lot of temples is int it? My father was planning for Chidambaram and Tiruvannamalai

I have asked the route details as I wanted to go back to Hyderabad from Munnar on a faster route.
ksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 23:44   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

The plan is to do Hyd->Mysore on day 1 and then relax there overnight. Start early morning on day 2 to Ooty. Spend day 3 there at Ooty and Coonoor.

On day 4, drive to Cochin. Spend day 5 there. On day 6 visit Allepppey. Munnar on day 7. Drive back to Bangalore on day 8 and to Hyd on day 9.

Typically this would start on a Saturday and end on a Sunday. Does this sound good?
Sounds like an excellent plan.Just that you arent getting any time in Munnar,but then I guess thats deliberate.If you dont want to go to Munnar,then why take the route at all,go to Valparai instead and then straight off to Blore.Kochi-Chalakudy-Athirappilly Falls-Valparai-Pollachi-Palladam-Perundurai-NH7-Blore.

Stay options at Valparai:

www.teabungalows.com

www.sinnadorai.com

Budget would be Hotel Green Hill and innumerable home stays in Valparai.Expect some bad roads till the kerala border from Chalakudy,its the western ghats in all its green glory and innumerable dams like Perungulathi,Aliyar,Annamalai WLS are some of the areas accessible from Valparai.

Quote:

I am planning to Stay at Royal Retreat or Ayur county. As I have not been to Munnar wanted to pick a hotel that would be close to a good veg. restaurant(my mom would not eat in a non-veg. restaurant). Any recomendations for stay would be welcome.

Also, while going this is the route I am taking:

1. Hyderabad to Kanipakkam (visit temple)
2. Kanipakkam to Vellore (visit golden temple)
3. Vellore to Tiruvarur (visit Tyagaraja's birth place)
4. Tiruvarur to Tanjavur (visit Brihadeeswaralayam)
5. Tanjavur to Trichy (visit Srirangam, Jambukeswaram and Rockfort temple)
6. Trichy to Munnar

Quite a lot of temples is int it? My father was planning for Chidambaram and Tiruvannamalai

I have asked the route details as I wanted to go back to Hyderabad from Munnar on a faster route.
The purest form of veg in Munnar is Saravana Bhavan(not even remotely related to the original ones!)Munnar has all kinds of places suiting all kinds of budgets.My reccomendations would be Siena Village www.thesienavillage.com,Edasserry East End www.eastend.in,Tall Trees www.ttr.in, Tea Valley www.teavalleyresort.com,. Out of these Eastend has the best access to town as it is situated in a quiet little corner of the town away from the noise but still walking distance to the town.

Fastest route back to Munnar would be:

Munnar-Marayoor-Chinnar WLS-Udumulpet-Dharapuram-Kangeyam-Perundurai-NH47-Salem-Hosur-Bangalore-Hyd.Munnar-Bangalore is a 8 hour drive and Blr Hyd is another 8hours.Suggest break journey at Blore and continue to Hyd the next day.Plenty of eating options between Munnar and Blore,and nil options between Chikballapur-Kamat and Hyderabad

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 9th May 2012 at 23:56.
ranjitp1 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 08:12   #446
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi

Ranjit has already answered your questions. I think you should chose between Alleppey and Munnar. One day each at both the places does not make sense. You should spend at least two days in Munnar.

@ksm

Getting a good restaurant in itself I think is not easy in Munnar. You will find good ones with the resorts themselves.

And Saravana Bhavan in Munnar is no way related to the original one.

Last edited by ampere : 10th May 2012 at 08:15.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 09:27   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
And Saravana Bhavan in Munnar is no way related to the original one.
Its not related with the original one. But, it is still the best Veg. restaurant one can get in Munnar in my opinion. The food is definitely good here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Note that there are a few different variations of routes for Perundurai-Udumalaipet. Ones I know of are:
(Maybe Ampere/HVK or someone else can say which would be better)
Hi NPV, both the roads will be good. Remember that most of the SH's in Coimbatore and Erode district are very good.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 10th May 2012 at 09:31.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 11:46   #448
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
a few different variations of routes for Perundurai-Udumalaipet. Ones I know of are:
You'll have to cross Palladam to get to the Pollachi/Udumalpet turn-off and Palladam might choke based on the time of the day.

Hence Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet is better here as you would spend no time crossing the towns (Kangeyam is no big a town, you'll pass Dharapuram in bye-pass) and this route is short by 8 km. Kangeyam-Dharapuram is literally a straight line stretch with just a couple of twists, which will gain you a lot of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Remember that most of the SH's in Coimbatore and Erode district are very good.
You bet! We owe it to then Transport Minister of TN State Mr. Muthusamy from Erode during the MGR regime in late 70s/early 80s. He did quite a lot for the district welfare. Sorry for going off-topic.

Last edited by luvurride : 10th May 2012 at 11:51. Reason: added content
luvurride is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 13:35   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ranjit has already answered your questions. I think you should chose between Alleppey and Munnar. One day each at both the places does not make sense. You should spend at least two days in Munnar.
Good point. I am not sure what is there to see in Alleppey, but I did visit Munnar last year, though without family.

I might give Munnar a miss then. But passing by so close to it, and not seeing the beautiful plantations on the hill slopes may be a crime. And we might never be driving in that direction again.

Frankly speaking, except the beautiful climate, and the drive to Top Station via the dam and Echo point, I did not find any 'must see' spot in Munnar. Walking to the edge at Top Station was quite a lot of effort too.

This being so, I thought driving by Munnar and staying over-night would suffice. A quick drive to Echo point would perhaps suffice.

But if Ooty also provides similar views, then we can ignore Munnar completely.

Edit: We are actually visiting Cochin because my wife has a close schoolmate there, and so do I. I don't think there is much to see there, as I was there in 1996 for a day or two. Therefore, other than the day of reaching Cochin, we could perhpas start to Allepppey the next day itself, and cover both Alleppey and Munnar.

Last edited by vnabhi : 10th May 2012 at 13:39.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 14:18   #450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
Frankly speaking, except the beautiful climate, and the drive to Top Station via the dam and Echo point, I did not find any 'must see' spot in Munnar. Walking to the edge at Top Station was quite a lot of effort too.
True @vnabhi. Ooty at least has places to visit. But Munnar is more like a place to laze around and enjoy.

Though you do get such locations and places in Ooty too apart from tourist spots.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote