Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 15:12   #616
Newbie
 
sahilsharma208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilsharma208 View Post
Thanks for your quick response. Will update everyone after completing the trip if i return safely
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
What about the weather and why do you not recommend Munnar now? I am asking as I will be travelling from 27th to 31st March to Munnar.

It was pretty hot during the day and during your schedule it will be even bad...I have been to Munnar earlier during monsoon and winters and trust me it looked beautiful during that time but in this season the same beauty looked faded.. Evenings were still pleasant but not worth visiting during this time..I was personally disappointed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
How about Munnar? I was under the impression it would be cooler - around 25-30 degrees - after reading posts and travel reviews.
Currently, it's varying between 30-35 degrees with hardly any rain....minimum temperature in the night will be around 19-20 degrees
sahilsharma208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 15:15   #617
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 102
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Well Kerala is seeing the toughest summer since 1984 with temperatures in the plains hovering around 42-43 degrees.
How about Munnar? I was under the impression it would be cooler - around 25-30 degrees - after reading posts and travel reviews.
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 15:30   #618
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KA
Posts: 336
Thanked: 217 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
What about the weather and why do you not recommend Munnar now? I am asking as I will be travelling from 27th to 31st March to Munnar.

I did Munnar last week and there was nothing to feel pleasent. Even though 4:00 PM onwards temp comes down and you do feel the cold but that's it. No rains and no waterfalls.

Noons are hot and visiting places may get tiresome.

Thanks!
Shiv_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 16:01   #619
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 1,540 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
How about Munnar? I was under the impression it would be cooler - around 25-30 degrees - after reading posts and travel reviews.
Its terribly hot this year round in Kerala.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 13:28   #620
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 102
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Completed the Munnar trip from March 27th to March 31st. For onward journey, I took Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi route (551 kms). While returning I took Udumalaipet-Dharapuram-Karur-Salem-Hosur-Bangalore route (499 kms).

The onward route would have been 531 kms, if not for the closed "highway" after Pooppara. I had to take Adimali route to reach Munnar.

- It rained on 29th - so weather was relatively cool.
- No water in waterfalls. Attukal waterfalls was almost dry. Did not bother to visit other waterfalls.
- It was cooler on the hills - Top station and estates. In fact need jackets / sweaters. Not so in the places with lower altitude like Munnar town.
- Eravikulam national park is closed.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 15:28   #621
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Fellow Team BHPians, i am planning to travel to Club Mahindra, Munnar from Bangalore. From the previous posts, it appears that the best route for me would be Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Poopara - Suryanelli- CM resort. Am i correct in my deduction? Also are there any restrictions on carrying anything into TN and KL? I remember reading that at check posts, there were searches conducted inside the vehicles? Not sure for what? Is it that one is not supposed to carry Liquor etc?

As i plan to leave at 5 from JP Nagar, i would like to know if there are any decent places for Lunch around 12:30 to 1:30 with clean washrooms? Will be traveling with Wife and two kids.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
MaverikMahesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 15:37   #622
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Fellow Team BHPians, i am planning to travel to Club Mahindra, Munnar from Bangalore. From the previous posts, it appears that the best route for me would be Salem - Dindigul - Theni - Poopara - Suryanelli- CM resort. Am i correct in my deduction? Also are there any restrictions on carrying anything into TN and KL? I remember reading that at check posts, there were searches conducted inside the vehicles? Not sure for what? Is it that one is not supposed to carry Liquor etc?

As i plan to leave at 5 from JP Nagar, i would like to know if there are any decent places for Lunch around 12:30 to 1:30 with clean washrooms? Will be traveling with Wife and two kids.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
No, there is a mistake in your routing. You do not have to go to Suryanelli, but from Poopara to Chinnakanal / CM directly.

Searches are being conducted in KA due to forthcoming elections. No checks anywhere else.

After Salem, there are hardly any prominent eating places on the highway.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 15:43   #623
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No, there is a mistake in your routing. You do not have to go to Suryanelli, but from Poopara to Chinnakanal / CM directly.

Searches are being conducted in KA due to forthcoming elections. No checks anywhere else.

After Salem, there are hardly any prominent eating places on the highway.
HVK, Thanks for the correction on the route and the other information about the search (takes a load of my mind).

Google maps also shows a route avoiding poopara and going through a place called B L Ram and then onto Chinnakanal. Would you know if it is advisable to take this route?

Thanks again for the very fast reply.
MaverikMahesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 15:52   #624
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
HVK, Thanks for the correction on the route and the other information about the search (takes a load of my mind).

Google maps also shows a route avoiding poopara and going through a place called B L Ram and then onto Chinnakanal. Would you know if it is advisable to take this route?

Thanks again for the very fast reply.
You must be referring to the Bodimedu-Suryanelli-Chinnakanal road, that is always bad & not meant for 2WD vehicles.
Stick to the Bodimedu-Poopara-Chinnakanal route which is NH49 and excellent road all the way.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 16:03   #625
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You must be referring to the Bodimedu-Suryanelli-Chinnakanal road, that is always bad & not meant for 2WD vehicles.
Stick to the Bodimedu-Poopara-Chinnakanal route which is NH49 and excellent road all the way.
Great, i will heed to your advice! Bodimedu-Poopara-Chinnakanal will be the route. Driving at a steady speed (Wifey doesn't like going over 110 km/hr) of 100, and starting from Bangalore at 5 in the morning, do you think it will be possible to reach CM by 2 - 2:30 PM?
MaverikMahesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 16:06   #626
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,368
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
Great, i will heed to your advice! Bodimedu-Poopara-Chinnakanal will be the route. Driving at a steady speed (Wifey doesn't like going over 110 km/hr) of 100, and starting from Bangalore at 5 in the morning, do you think it will be possible to reach CM by 2 - 2:30 PM?
3-4 hours to Salem.
3 hours to Theni
2 more from there.
Yes, 2 pm is a realistic target time.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 17:51   #627
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 143
Thanked: 83 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
As i plan to leave at 5 from JP Nagar, i would like to know if there are any decent places for Lunch around 12:30 to 1:30 with clean washrooms? Will be traveling with Wife and two kids.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
There is one place at Dindigul on the right when going towards Kodai Road called as Food Fort. That place is nice. They serve some amazing Dindigul biryani We have already had twice here.
floyd.bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 18:13   #628
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverikMahesh View Post
As i plan to leave at 5 from JP Nagar, i would like to know if there are any decent places for Lunch around 12:30 to 1:30 with clean washrooms? Will be traveling with Wife and two kids.
Meenakshi Bhavan at Theni would be a good place to break for lunch.
The other place (more upmarket) is Western Gatz.

http://www.westerngatz.com
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 18:43   #629
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 69
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Dear Ampere, Floyd, Thanks for the inputs. Based on the time and the location, we will make the call on either Western Gatz or Food Fort.

@ HVK, Thanks for the inputs on the route.
MaverikMahesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 21:00   #630
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,234
Thanked: 3,411 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Meenakshi Bhavan at Theni would be a good place to break for lunch.
The other place (more upmarket) is Western Gatz.

http://www.westerngatz.com
I second what Ampere said. The Meenakshi bhavan is quite good. Take the life to the first floor to chill off in the AC. This hotel is right adjacent to BPCL bunk so your hunger and the car's hunger can be taken care off.
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2539 5th December 2016 22:53
Cochin - Munnar : Route/Climate Queries govigov Route / Travel Queries 16 28th December 2015 16:15
Bangalore - Delhi - Srinagar - Delhi - Bangalore : Route Queries micrographics Route / Travel Queries 8 27th November 2015 14:47
Getting drenched in Munnar (Bangalore to Munnar and Kannur) longdriveblusky Travelogues 12 20th November 2012 15:44
Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries sumannandy Route / Travel Queries 49 12th October 2012 16:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks