Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th December 2014, 20:04   #871
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Pollachi-Udumalaipet-Marayoor-Munnar, is it motorable to small vehicle like Beat? I am assuming they are decently paved, 2 lane sort of a road. True?
My travel was last year, so update may be bit outdated. However, road condition was good. Just be careful around Chinar wildlife route, since roads are bit narrow there. Saw lots of jeeps driven rashly, you may end up scrapping them if you dont judge the space correctly. Saw a car getting its rear door getting damaged that way.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 20:35   #872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Thanks mpksuhas and NPV for the updates and suggestions. One question after leaving NH 47-Avinashi (4 lane till here)-Mangalam-Pollachi-Udumalaipet-Marayoor-Munnar, is it motorable to small vehicle like Beat? I am assuming they are decently paved, 2 lane sort of a road. True?
Thats NOT the route. After Avinashi, you head to Mangalam and there on to Palladam. At Palladam, you DONT need to go to Pollachi. There is a straight road to Udumalpet. See Google maps.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 21:46   #873
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ampere for correcting the route. I did not notice the same in earlier post.
Gtonsing, during drive if asking for direction just ask for the next town. One shopkeeper at Udumalapet was confused why we wanted to go towards Avinashi if our destination was Bangalore.
Anyways, the junction at Udumalpet is straight forward and there was signboard present. The turn off at Palladam was bit confusing for me, drove some half KM towards Pollachi to find the mistake. Once you cross Palladam, till Avinashi bye- pass it is single road.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 21:58   #874
Team-BHP Support

Thats true. Its a bit confusing. At the cross road its a single lane exit for both Pollachi and Udumalpet. The Udumalpet road exits out at about 2KM ahead. But some how I dont remember seeing a board to indicate the same. But at the Palladam cross I think I do remember indications being put for Pollachi and Udumalpet for the same road.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 08:42   #875
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats NOT the route. After Avinashi, you head to Mangalam and there on to Palladam. At Palladam, you DONT need to go to Pollachi. There is a straight road to Udumalpet. See Google maps.
Thanks for catching that typo, I did mean Palladam not Pollachi

The Mangalam road leads you to a signal at Palladam (4 road junction) and you proceed straight. About 2 Km later, there is a fork with the Pollachi road curving to right side and Udumalaipet is the left fork so turn towards left here. If I remember correctly, there was a flashing amber light at this fork and a green signboard as well.
Some more details on locating the Mangalam turn off on NH 47 and the junction at Palladam are here (All Roads to Kerala) in my earlier update. Just keep in mind you need to turn off towards Udumalaipet!
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2014, 08:51   #876
Team-BHP Support

The roads in TN are so well interconnected, that one need not take even an ounce of a detour to reach the destination. And each of these nets are in perfect shape.

Take this same section.

Palladam/Pollachi/Udumalpet/Dharapuram. Thats a clique! (A Fully Connected graph! )
Old 24th December 2014, 15:51   #877
BHPian

I'm planning to do a munnar trip in February. What would be a good resort to stay there with family? And the recommended route? I am confused reading about the multiple routes. I do not mind driving an extra hour if there's a straight forward route instead of taking shortcuts and get lost on the way. I am not at all familiar with the routes through tamilnadu.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014, 16:27   #878
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I'm planning to do a munnar trip in February. What would be a good resort to stay there with family? And the recommended route? I am confused reading about the multiple routes. I do not mind driving an extra hour if there's a straight forward route instead of taking shortcuts and get lost on the way. I am not at all familiar with the routes through tamilnadu.
Resorts - there are plenty and at a different price points.
Some are:
Sterling, Club Mahindra (both near Chinnakanal, other side of Munnar), KTDC Tea County (closer to town).
Remember reading about others like Tall Trees, Sienna Village, etc, do check them.
You can take the route via Theni (Bangalore-Dindigul on the NH 7 in great condition) to reach Chinnakanal directly. From there Munnar town is about 20Km and can take about an hour to reach.
Route:Bangalore-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal-Munnar

The other approach will take you directly to Munnar town - this is via Marayoor.
Route:Bangalore-Udumalaipet-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar
Bangalore-Udumalaipet can be done via Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 14:18   #879
BHPian

I drove Bangalore - Salem - Perundurai - Kangayam - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Marayoor - Munnar. Roads till Udumalpet are in very good condition. We stayed overnight in hotel Pavish park in Bhavani and proceeded the journey next day morning again.

Stopped at Dharapuram bypass at hotel Apoorva (it is on right side of the median) for breakfast. Apoorva is next to another hotel Anjappar. Agents were canvassing people towards hotel Anjappar and we were bit confused but finally decided to walk into Apoorva. To my surprise it was an amazing breakfast. I have never eaten such tasty idly, dosa, chuteny etc even at my home. Strongly recommend this place.

It is funny that you have to stop at multiple checkposts near TN - Kerala border and write same data again and again. Alas, I seriously wish that governments co-ordinate and reduce the avoidable burden on passengers.

Last edited by B103 : 2nd January 2015 at 14:20.
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 13:04   #880
Senior - BHPian

Recently drove to Munnar & Rameshwaram.
Route to Munnar,
BLR-SALEM-DINDIGUL-MADURAI (took it without knowing) - THENI - MUNNAR
The route is fantastic all the way till Munnar, the ghat roads are being repaired & freshly tarred till Kerala border, except some minor rough roads just before Kerala border rest all is awesome.

Munnar to Eravikulam National park is in not so good condition has some major potholes.
Munnar to Mattupatty dam is in good condition, but small potholes here & there.

Munnar to Rameshwaram road is in excellent condition (except for some 2-3 rough road stretch at the ghats)
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 14:18   #881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Munnar to Rameshwaram road is in excellent condition (except for some 2-3 rough road stretch at the ghats)
You mean Madurai to Rameshwaram is also fantastic? It used to be average from a condition stand point. Has there been fresh tarring on the NH49?
Old 30th January 2015, 14:41   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You mean Madurai to Rameshwaram is also fantastic? It used to be average from a condition stand point. Has there been fresh tarring on the NH49?
Yep FANTASTIC. All the way till Dhanushkodi
Barring the railway crossing no road hump either in the entire stretch.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 17:21   #883
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Yep FANTASTIC. All the way till Dhanushkodi
Barring the railway crossing no road hump either in the entire stretch.
Wow! So even NH49 is now great. All I could now hope for is nice bypass to Madurai from North to eat side.
Old 1st February 2015, 23:11   #884
BHPian

Cool re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I'm planning to do a munnar trip in February. What would be a good resort to stay there with family? .
I did stay in The Wind, Munnar near Periakanal which is 20 kms before Munnar town from Bodi side. This is not a resort. The hotel had an awesome view of the valley and their service was excellent. When I went in Oct-2013, they were rated as No.1 as per Trip Advisor. Apart from the room size, view you get from the rooms and their hospitality, there are some flipside too.

1. Have to travel extra 20kms every time when you set out for sight seeing. Lot of sight seeing places are beyond Munnar town.
2. The roads are very narrow. It was difficult to find the place as the roads were narrow though Google map directed to me to appropriate lanes, looking at the smaller lanes I deviated to a different route.
couswheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 22:20   #885
BHPian

We are planning to do Bangalore - Munnar in the first week of April. In this thread folks have mentioned a lot of different routes. Bit confused after seeing all these routes. We have booked accommodation in Club Mahindra. Which would be the best route to take? Our ride would be Hyundai Verna with 4 adults and 3 kids. Thanks in advance!
su48 is offline   Reply With Quote