Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 09:27   #886
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,065
Thanked: 3,372 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by su48 View Post
We are planning to do Bangalore - Munnar in the first week of April. In this thread folks have mentioned a lot of different routes. Bit confused after seeing all these routes. We have booked accommodation in Club Mahindra. Which would be the best route to take? Our ride would be Hyundai Verna with 4 adults and 3 kids. Thanks in advance!
Since your destination is Club Mahindra it is closer to Chinnakanal, the other side of Munnar town. Hence, following route will get you there directly without touching Munnar town:
Bangalore to Dindigul on NH7-Batlagundu-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal

NH7 is excellent and Dindigul-Batlandundu-Theni should also be good, not too sure about Bodi-Chinnakanal, but I don't expect that to be bad.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 08:56   #887
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by su48 View Post
We are planning to do Bangalore - Munnar in the first week of April. In this thread folks have mentioned a lot of different routes. Bit confused after seeing all these routes. We have booked accommodation in Club Mahindra. Which would be the best route to take? Our ride would be Hyundai Verna with 4 adults and 3 kids. Thanks in advance!
In addiction to what NPV said, be careful after you get on to Kodai ghat road at Batlagundu. The bus drivers are pretty rash and its a long hill drive.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 15:31   #888
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,065
Thanked: 3,372 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In addiction to what NPV said, be careful after you get on to Kodai ghat road at Batlagundu. The bus drivers are pretty rash and its a long hill drive.
Why Kodai Ghat Road at all
From Batlagundu, he just needs to proceed towards Theni, not Kodai.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 15:49   #889
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In addiction to what NPV said, be careful after you get on to Kodai ghat road at Batlagundu. The bus drivers are pretty rash and its a long hill drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Why Kodai Ghat Road at all
From Batlagundu, he just needs to proceed towards Theni, not Kodai.
Oops! Some how it registered to me as Kodai and not Munnar. Sorry and thanks for the find!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 15:13   #890
BHPian
 
pgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

You can take the route via Theni (Bangalore-Dindigul on the NH 7 in great condition) to reach Chinnakanal directly. From there Munnar town is about 20Km and can take about an hour to reach.
Route:Bangalore-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni-Bodi-Chinnakanal-Munnar

The other approach will take you directly to Munnar town - this is via Marayoor.
Route:Bangalore-Udumalaipet-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar
Bangalore-Udumalaipet can be done via Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet

Out of the 2 routes mentioned which one has less ghat section ? I can take the longer route if it has less ghat section.

Thanks for the guidance.
pgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 20:52   #891
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 837
Thanked: 422 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Out of the 2 routes mentioned which one has less ghat section ? I can take the longer route if it has less ghat section.
Bodi-Munnar is 64 km Udumalpettai-Munnar side is about 70 odd km. So nothing really to choose distance-wise. The time take is also similar, took 4 hrs either way with lot of photo stops.

What are you concerned about, ghat driving or time taken for ghat driving?
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 22:55   #892
BHPian
 
pgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
.



What are you concerned about, ghat driving or time taken for ghat driving?

I am concerned about the long distance from Bangalore and hence wanted to take the shorter ghat section if that's possible. Overall trying to minimize the time as much as possible. Planning to start by 5 am and keep about 1 hour in total for breaks. What time normally I should expect to reach ?
pgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 23:27   #893
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

I think overall Theni option may have lesser ghats. Its about 90km from Udumalpet to Munnar. Not a difficult road to drive but the sheer length of road and the winding roads can take a toll on your fatigue.

But still this section needs to be done to enjoy the beauty rather than just be done with it.

So I would suggest while going take the Theni road and while coming back take the Udumalpet road and drive leisurely till Udumalpet.

Another point to note: As earlier mentioned by many: If the resort is in Chinnakanal, then Theni option default makes sense as Chinnakanal is 22km from Munnar towards Theni. So one drives that much less.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 23:37   #894
BHPian
 
pgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think overall Theni option may have lesser ghats. Its about 90km from Udumalpet to Munnar. Not a difficult road to drive but the sheer length of road and the winding roads can take a toll on your fatigue.



But still this section needs to be done to enjoy the beauty rather than just be done with it.



So I would suggest while going take the Theni road and while coming back take the Udumalpet road and drive leisurely till Udumalpet.



Another point to note: As earlier mentioned by many: If the resort is in Chinnakanal, then Theni option default makes sense as Chinnakanal is 22km from Munnar towards Theni. So one drives that much less.

Thanks Ampere. Plan now final while going it will be Theni and while coming back it will be Udumalpet.
Can I expect to reach by 3 pm if I start by 5 am from bangalore ?
pgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 23:47   #895
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
Thanks Ampere. Plan now final while going it will be Theni and while coming back it will be Udumalpet.
Can I expect to reach by 3 pm if I start by 5 am from bangalore ?
Should be possible. 5AM start means, 8AM at Salem, (200km) (4-lane)
Salem- Dindigul is about 2 to 2.5 hours (180km) (4-lane)
Dindigul-Theni : 80km 2-lane road (About 1.5 hours max)
Theni-Munnar : 50 to Chinnakanal and 70 to Munnar. (60-70 minutes for Chinnakanal).

Would definitely say that a 4AM start would be better. That gives more option to drive at leisure if you want to.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 07:17   #896
BHPian
 
pgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 158
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Should be possible. 5AM start means, 8AM at Salem, (200km) (4-lane)

Salem- Dindigul is about 2 to 2.5 hours (180km) (4-lane)

Dindigul-Theni : 80km 2-lane road (About 1.5 hours max)

Theni-Munnar : 50 to Chinnakanal and 70 to Munnar. (60-70 minutes for Chinnakanal).



Would definitely say that a 4AM start would be better. That gives more option to drive at leisure if you want to.

Thank you so much Ampere for the detailed info. The last leg Theni to Munnar is what am unsure about. Not sure if I can cover that in 2 hours. Then the total time would be 9 hours without breaks.
pgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 12:57   #897
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Should be possible. 5AM start means, 8AM at Salem, (200km) (4-lane)
Salem- Dindigul is about 2 to 2.5 hours (180km) (4-lane)
Dindigul-Theni : 80km 2-lane road (About 1.5 hours max)
Theni-Munnar : 50 to Chinnakanal and 70 to Munnar. (60-70 minutes for Chinnakanal).

Would definitely say that a 4AM start would be better. That gives more option to drive at leisure if you want to.
Thanks ampere for the detailed info! Extremely useful. Planning to take the Theni route for the onward journey and Udumalaipettai on my way back. Thanks!

Last edited by su48 : 22nd March 2015 at 13:01. Reason: typo
su48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 14:54   #898
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Update on road condition and time taken.I did Bangalore-Munnar last weekend.

Onward journey:
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangayam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar
Till Perundurai very good roads,after that till udumalpet it is SH but good surface.nothing to complain.Roads in Udumalpet town are all dug up(1km or so).After that forest sections are patchy and narrow.It is difficult to give way for bigger vehicles in some of the sections.But again nothing to complain and drive is enjoyable.
Started at 5 45 am from Bellandur,reached Udumalpet around 12 and reached Munnar at 4 15 pm. (with food breaks and photo shoots)

Return:
Munnar-Devikulam-Chinnakanal-Theni-Batlagundu-Dindigul-Salem-Bangalore
Till chinnakanal roads are good with breathtaking views
Chinnakanal to NH 49 has potholes here and there especially near chinnakanal.narrow in some stretches but hardly any traffic.The ghat section has got a fresh layer of tarmac and widened also.till Dindigul again excellent roads. some patchy sections when you approach the towns.After that again till Bangalore it is all excellent roads.
started at 8am from Munnar, reached Dindigul around 11 45 and bangalore around 5 15pm.
sayoojl is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 15:14   #899
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,790
Thanked: 7,458 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
Onward journey:
Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Kangayam-Dharapuram-Udumalpet-Marayoor-Munnar
Now instead you can do : Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi bypass - Mangalam - Palladam - Udumalpet. Can be much faster because you get 4-lane till Avinashi and you dont need to pass through towns. Palladam is easy to pass.

Quote:
The ghat section has got a fresh layer of tarmac and widened also.
Good to note this

Last edited by ampere : 26th March 2015 at 15:20.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 16:22   #900
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Munnar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Now instead you can do : Bangalore-Salem-Avinashi bypass - Mangalam - Palladam - Udumalpet. Can be much faster because you get 4-lane till Avinashi and you dont need to pass through towns. Palladam is easy to pass.
yeah that is what google suggested. I had posted on "All Roads to Kerala" thread as to which route to take(Avinashi-Mangalam or Kangayam-Dharapuram). I got a suggestion to take the latter one and hence i took it.Most of the towns enroute were easy to pass except Udumalpet due to construction works.will try this route next time
sayoojl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2539 5th December 2016 22:53
Cochin - Munnar : Route/Climate Queries govigov Route / Travel Queries 16 28th December 2015 16:15
Bangalore - Delhi - Srinagar - Delhi - Bangalore : Route Queries micrographics Route / Travel Queries 8 27th November 2015 14:47
Getting drenched in Munnar (Bangalore to Munnar and Kannur) longdriveblusky Travelogues 12 20th November 2012 15:44
Kodaikanal - Munnar - Waynad route queries sumannandy Route / Travel Queries 49 12th October 2012 16:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks