Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th January 2015, 17:43   #46
BHPian

Default re: Hyderabad - Rajamundry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
BTW, what is the road condition between Vijayawada and Rajahmundry? There have been reports in the past that the road was full of pot holes.
Drove from Rajahmundry to Vijayawada & back yesterday. Lots of potholes near Kadiam and almost upto Tanuku, smoother drive thereon. Road repair work is going on and one-side of a part of the highway is blocked. But even where repair is completed the patchwork is somewhat uneven.
penpusher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 20:34   #47
BHPian

anyone took the Hyderabad->Khammam->Rajahmundry route recently? I'm considering it as I need to go to Kovvur. If it's not good, then I have to take the Vijayawada route and then take the turn after Eluru to go to Kovvur.
If anyone has traveled the Khammam route recently please share some inputs.
rav11stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 21:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
anyone took the Hyderabad->Khammam->Rajahmundry route recently? I'm considering it as I need to go to Kovvur. If it's not good, then I have to take the Vijayawada route and then take the turn after Eluru to go to Kovvur.
If anyone has traveled the Khammam route recently please share some inputs.
Avoid. It is in bad shape after crossing into Andhra.
But for Vijaywada town, the NH5 is the best road to take towards Rajahmundry/ Kovvur although the Eluru-KOvvur road is in good shape too.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 21:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
But for Vijaywada town, the NH5 is the best road to take towards Rajahmundry/ Kovvur although the Eluru-KOvvur road is in good shape too.
Thanks a lot for the super-quick reply Sir. I'd like to ask another one although it's not relevant to this thread
I'm actually planning to travel to Andhra from Pune. The last time I did this was in September last year and NH9 from Solapur to Hyderabad was not too good.
I've read elsewhere that the Akkalkot to Karnataka border road was tarred recently and is in good shape. If that's the case then I'd consider taking it instead of NH9 to reach HYD. Any ideas?

thanks,
Ravi
Old 25th February 2015, 22:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
Thanks a lot for the super-quick reply Sir. I'd like to ask another one although it's not relevant to this thread
I'm actually planning to travel to Andhra from Pune. The last time I did this was in September last year and NH9 from Solapur to Hyderabad was not too good.
I've read elsewhere that the Akkalkot to Karnataka border road was tarred recently and is in good shape. If that's the case then I'd consider taking it instead of NH9 to reach HYD. Any ideas?

thanks,
Ravi
NH9 between Solapur & Hyderabad is being widened - lots of diversions, but road condition is not too bad.

I have no idea about the Akkalkot road being repaired. I would stick to NH9
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 19:38   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Hello Friends, I am interested to know what is the quickest route from Rajahmundry to Vijayawada, and what is the current road situation in that section ?
From the map it seems, that the Kovvur-Eluru, via Nallajeria is the shortest one. But is that really the case , or are there any hidden issues !
Since we will be coming from Berhampore, we would also like to bypass Rajahmundry completely, if that is feasible ?
Please guide me as regards any other issues on this stretch , as this is my first time in this part of the country !
Thanks in Advance !
SDM
SDM Photoblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 18:26   #52
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Rajamundry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM Photoblitz View Post
Since we will be coming from Berhampore, we would also like to bypass Rajahmundry completely, if that is feasible ?

SDM
Repeating the same info that I shared in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...l-info-29.html

There are bypass roads for Rajamundri and Vizag to avoid city traffic
- GNT road from Gundugolanu (towards Kovvuru), which hit Godavari fourth bridge bypassing the entire Rajahmundry city crowd
- You can take AP state highway 38 to bypass the Vizag city traffic. This road was a 2-lane road full of mid-sized craters. It was a 45 KM stretch, which took 1:10 hours for me to cover by car during evening time
Krishroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 08:35   #53
BHPian

Hey guys : An update :

My Dad took the Rajahmundry -> Khammam -> Suryapet route to reach Hyd yesterday. It's probably a bad day; it took him 12 hours to reach HYD. He says there's lot of truck traffic and this being a 2 lane road he wasn't even able to overtake due to the oncoming traffic.

I've suggested this route to him as there's hardly any traffic the last time I did this route in Dec.
I asked him to avoid Vijayawada due to the heavy city traffic.

Another alert : He got flagged down on the Suryapet - HYD highway by a cop for overspeeding and was fined 500/- with a receipt of 400/-. When he questioned why other vehicles which overtook him were not stopped, he was replied "mind your business" !!
He didn't argue further as it's a new car and then it's unreasonable trying to reason with the powers.
So if you're going to travel in this route, beware; btw he was doing 110kmph whereas the cop quoted a speed limit of 80kmph.
Old 13th March 2016, 07:32   #54

rav11stars: I am a senior citizen, have been driving off and on all over the country and overseas for almost 50 years. After retirement I have done a few trips of 2500-3000kms. I have driven in India at speeds of 140-150 kph so I have done my bit of enjoying(?). First of all Indian highways have speed limits of 80-110 kph, even expressways- stick to limits as it is well worth the patience. Indians being as democratic as they are drive on wrong side of the road all over India, including expressways. People also take U- turns at most inappropriate places. You will not have a ghost of a chance at stopping above 80 kph when something like this happens.
Check out this link: http://www.brake.org.uk/assets/image...-distances.jpg

"The distances above are based on a reaction time of 0.67 seconds, which assumes the driver is alert, concentrating and not impaired. Driving when tired, distracted or impaired significantly increases reaction times, so the thinking distances above should be regarded as minimums.

The braking distance depends on how fast the vehicle was travelling before the brakes were applied, and is proportional to the square of the initial speed. That means even small increases in speed mean significantly longer braking distances. Braking distances are much longer for larger and heavier vehicles, and in wet or icy conditions, so again these figures are a minimum.

Technology such as anti-lock brakes and stability control are designed to enable greater control over the vehicle, not shorten stopping distances. There may be a very small reduction in braking distance with modern technology, but not enough to significantly affect your overall stopping distance [5].

Whatever technology a vehicle has, the basic fact remains that the faster you drive, the longer your stopping distance, and therefore the less chance you have of stopping in time in an emergency." -- quoting from brake.org.uk

At 80 kph you will not be able to stop car in less than 13 car lengths or 53 meters. If you are distracted scary what can happen. At 110 kph the distance would be 96 meters.

My view:
1. Every road has a safe speed.
If you drive faster you are constantly over taking and increase chances of mistakes, especially on roads with out dividers. Even on roads with dividers I have found road to be most rutted nearer the divider since most trucks drive here.
If you drive slower you will bunch up vehicles behind who will get harassed, harass you, honk and somebody will get impatient enough to overtake you increasing chances of wide swiping your car. Pray to god you don't end up in a road rage situation.

I found the Baroda- Ahmedabad super expressway has a speed of 110kph. Bombay to Baroda was 100 kph as are most well made highways including Pune- Bombay. All other 4 lane roads would be 90 kph and for 2 lane roads 80 kph.

2. If you are on a 6 lane highway stay on centre lane leaving the kerb side lane to cyclists, bullock carts and autos. The lane meant for over taking (lane next to divider) is usually hogged by trucks and buses anyway. This lane is also most dangerous from point of rutted roads and vehicles taking unauthorised U- turns.

3. If you are on a 4 lane you have to stick to divider side lane anyway

4. Over take, which you have to on long distance drives, only after double checking and confirming with the vehicle being overtaken (with horn blaring and lights flashing) with a prayer on your lips and heart in your mouth😂

5. You might drive the most safe car or you may be the best driver in the world but accidents are caused by the worst drivers in their worst stupidity in their most distracted moment when your defences are down.

I love driving and do so at 65 years. How ever drive safely and patiently.

Happy driving
subbaraomr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2017, 21:02   #55

I am travelling to Pithapuram which is beyond Rajamundry in 3rd week of December from Pune.

Pune to Vijayawada route is clear to me.

I need route suggestions from Vijaywada to Pithapuram.

I am travelling in XUV 5OO along with family.

Day 1 - Pune to Vijayawada
DAy 2 - Vijaywada to Pithapuram.

I may proceed beyond Vijaywada on Day 1 if time permits and I have energy to drive further.
shriram81 is offline   Reply With Quote