Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th August 2008, 22:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Jaipur-Agra-Gwalior-Orcha-Kajuraho Circuit

We are thinking of a family trip covering Jaipur-Agra-Gwalior-Lucknow. We want to fly into Jaipur and fly back from Lucknow, in between to be covered by a tourist taxi of some kind. We will have kids aged 8 and 2. We will be getting bookings from a nation-wide travel chain.

Questions:
1) What are the points of interest?
2) Is the route safe to be covered in a taxi?
3) Any other area of concern?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 22:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well-connected. From Jaipur, you go on NH11 to Agra via Bharatpur. You can deour to Ranthambor. Fatehpur Sikhri comes on the way to Agra. Road is good and safe.

From Agra to Gwalior is a fast drive on NH3 (now 4-laned) via Chambal Valley (Pholpur, Morena). No safety issues by day.

From Gwalior, you can go via Jhansi to Lucknow. Near Jhansi is Orchcha, which is an ancient fort city. Road is normally good, although I have no current update.

Only problem is the taxi - you can't take one from Jaipur and take him all the way to Lucknow and pay him return fare to drive back.

Bettter idea would be to take either taxi or train from Jaipur to Agra.

From Agra, take the fast Shatabdi Express (Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Bhopal) to Gwalior.

From Gwalior, return to Delhi.

Take Shatabdi Express (or overnight train) from Delhi to Lucknow.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 23:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

Agree with hv. Why Taxi Samurai. This area is very well connected by Railways, and thats the best mode of travel.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 23:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Travelling with luggage and 2 young kids in public transport is no joke, it won't be much of a vacation. That's why we prefer a taxi. That way I don't have to worry about luggage.

In 2005 we did Pune-Shirdi-Ellora-Aurangabad-Ajanta-Pune in an Indica Taxi and it was a very relaxed way to travel. Didn't have to worry about luggage. Same was the case with our recent Cochin vacation.

I think the travel company can take care of the Taxi arrangement.

Now, why can't we go from Gwalior to Lucknow directly, why the detour via Delhi?

Last edited by Samurai : 6th August 2008 at 23:53.
Old 7th August 2008, 00:51   #5

Lucknow is all together on the different path. Route to Lucknow from Gwalior is 440 KM (Gwalior - Jhansi (90) - Kanpur (250) - Lucknow (100)). Doubt, there could be any direct train to Lucknow from there.

But yes taxi can be hired for the route. But roads are not in good condition, rainy session. Gwalior-Jhansi road is again single lane.
maverick_atam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 09:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

In case you are taking a taxi, you can cover Kajuraho also which is near Jhansi.
Old 7th August 2008, 09:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

I think that practically eliminates Lucknow.

Flight: Mangalore-Mumbai-Jaipur
Taxi: Jaipur-Agra-Gwalior-Orcha-Kajuraho
Flight: Kajuraho-Mumbai-Mangalore

How does this sound?
Old 7th August 2008, 09:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

You will have o pay the axi fare reurn fare from Kajuraho to Jaipur, which is a long way, besides being exremely wasteful.

One beter suggesion would be as follows:

Mangalore-Delhi, air
Delhi-Agra, train
Take taxi at Agra
Agra-Jaipur-Agra-Gwalior-Orcha-Jhansi-Agra
Return the same way from Agra-Delhi-Mangalore
Old 7th August 2008, 09:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Samurai your plan is perfect considerring kids and luggage.

Few years back I had prepared same route with Bangalore instead of Mangalore for my relatives. They traveled by train and Taxi since they were all adults with less luggage.

When I visited North India I always hired Taxi or Mini bus based on number of people in the group.

Expect Taxi charges would be bit more because of different States you need to cover. I suggest use same Taxi all the way in your trip or plan it based on the places and availability.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 13:45   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Seen this thread too late - HVK's way is the way to go. Lucknow though has its charm with the imambara and the residency but khajuraho is significantly more fundoo!

so let go of taxi at jhansi, and take train back - you anyways must pay cab, why not travel in goood shatabadi.

And return by train to delhi is VERY convenient - but yeah, perspective among a bunch of friends, versus potential cranky kids (with all those km/days on the road/weather/food/water) is a tough call.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 13:57   #11
Team-BHP Support

Sharath,

Few inputs: (Have lived in Lucknow/Gwalior for quite some time)
  • If possible, don't miss Orcha. You won't be disappointed and may even like it a LOT better than Jhansi/Gwalior. Your Olympus SLR will be put to optimum use there
  • Lucknow, IMHO, has lots it's old world charm and if you expect that, then you might be disappointed. You may skip it as also suggested by HVK. However, for culinary delights, it is a heaven especially Non-Veg. Do try the 'tunde ke kebab' and other dishes, like Biryani (A lot different from the Hyderabadi Biryani) if you go there
And yes, do brush up your Hindi and swear words for traveling in that part of the country . It helps :-)
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 14:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Travelling with luggage and 2 young kids in public transport is no joke, it won't be much of a vacation. That's why we prefer a taxi. That way I don't have to worry about luggage.
Why take a public transport in the entire trip? (I mean aeroplane is also a public transport )

2 kids, lots of luggage, extreme comfort !!
Ideal time to use the Vitara, Samurai San !!

I am serious. Take the Vitara !!
Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 7th August 2008 at 14:15.
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 14:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Sharath,

Few inputs: (Have lived in Lucknow/Gwalior for quite some time)
  • If possible, don't miss Orcha. You won't be disappointed and may even like it a LOT better than Jhansi/Gwalior. Your Olympus SLR will be put to optimum use there
Happens to be my friend's hometown. Must not miss this. If taking a train you need to get down at Jhansi.

Quote:
Lucknow, IMHO, has lots it's old world charm and if you expect that, then you might be disappointed. You may skip it as also suggested by HVK. However, for culinary delights, it is a heaven especially Non-Veg. Do try the 'tunde ke kebab' and other dishes, like Biryani (A lot different from the Hyderabadi Biryani) if you go there
And yes, do brush up your Hindi and swear words for traveling in that part of the country . It helps :-)
Hasratgunj area has some food joints. Biriyani and that sweet (bread soaked in sugarsyrup and topping of kheer/khoya, forgot the name)

Pls dont miss Bara Imambara on Sitapur Road and some palace (Arambagh palace i think)

Just my 2 cents that I recall from my 1999 college visit Institute of Remote Sensing at Lucknow from Kanpur.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 15:30   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
  • Lucknow, IMHO, has lots it's old world charm and if you expect that, then you might be disappointed. You may skip it as also suggested by HVK. However, for culinary delights, it is a heaven especially Non-Veg. Do try the 'tunde ke kebab' and other dishes, like Biryani (A lot different from the Hyderabadi Biryani) if you go there
Ahh! I have already removed it from the list, now don't tempt me back to lucknow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
2 kids, lots of luggage, extreme comfort !!
Ideal time to use the Vitara, Samurai San !!
I don't have that kind of vacation time. Wish I did.
Old 7th August 2008, 16:07   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ahh! I have already removed it from the list, now don't tempt me back to lucknow.
No issues. You can have similar food in Delhi also. If you love food then I can suggest you some great authentic foodie places in Old Delhi. Let me know and I will post the same here.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote