Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th May 2010, 17:46   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post
15 hrs ? I have read people covering this route in 12 or 13 hours ?
Neo - IMHO there is no benchmark you can take for driving durations. It depends on a LOT of factors, some being:

a. Driving style (most important) - some people have a heavy foot and prefer to keep three-digit speeds whereas some prefer sedate driving, rarely touching three-digit speeds despite 4/6 lanes

b. Route condition - as we all know, road conditions are very dynamic in India, some changing within as less as a week

c. Breaks - some people tend to take longer breaks then others due to various reasons (family, kids, etc)

d. Vehicle type - needless to say, a fast car would score here, of course subject to (a) above

Hope that helps!
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 17:58   #77
BHPian

Thanks for that ...
I expect to drive @ 100-120 on 4 lane / good roads and maintain 70 Kmph @ avg speed at other places; if possible.

Anybody returning from Pune - Bnglore on 26th May ? (Start @ Morning 5 AM)
neo45007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 18:41   #78
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post
15 hrs ? I have read people covering this route in 12 or 13 hours ? (With 1 hr total break time).

Well, means ... if I start @ 5 AM from BNG; will be @ Pune only after 7 PM.
People making that distance in 12 / 13 hours with a break of 1 hour are literally flying on road. When you want to keep your average speed to 75 kmph, then you constantly have to hit 120 on the clear stretches.
Further, there are 12 toll booths between nelamangala and pune. So at an average you spend 5 mins crossing a toll, you are ending up with 1 hour on toll booths itself! Expect loads of traffic once you cross kolhapur.

Finally driving a ritz, I'd like to put a very realistic speed and travel time there.
So you start in Bangalore by 5 am. You will be checking in to ginger hotel pune at 8 pm.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:42   #79
BHPian

@ neo45007, Take MS (MX6) words, he will hit the nail on the head . If you can make it in 13-14 Hrs you have definitely driven well, donít overspeed, and keep the car in your control.

Once youíre back let me know about your travel time, which might help me as I am doing the Pune - Blr on 13th June.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:49   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
People making that distance in 12 / 13 hours with a break of 1 hour are literally flying on road. When you want to keep your average speed to 75 kmph, then you constantly have to hit 120 on the clear stretches.
Further, there are 12 toll booths between nelamangala and pune. So at an average you spend 5 mins crossing a toll, you are ending up with 1 hour on toll booths itself! Expect loads of traffic once you cross kolhapur.

Finally driving a ritz, I'd like to put a very realistic speed and travel time there.
So you start in Bangalore by 5 am. You will be checking in to ginger hotel pune at 8 pm.
@neo: HVK drives Bangalore - Bombay non stop in 12 hours. But thats difficult to emulate for lesser mortals.
However Bangalore to Pune (outskirts) is very much doable in 12-13 hours.
Note in completed GQ it is easy to keep an average of speed of 75-80 kmph even without breaking the 110 kmph speed barrier. Toll booths will typically take less than one minute.

Bangalore - Chitradurga: 203 km - 3 hours (Morning truck traffic till Neelamangala accounted for)
Chitradurga - Hubli: 206 km - 3 hours (Road diversions accounted for)
Hubli - Kolhapur: 205 km - 2:45 hours (it actually takes even less, as the roads are really good, carefull near Nipani, ghat sections with turns)
Kolhapur - Satara: 125 km - 1:30 hours
Satara-Pune (outskirts): 90 km - 1:15 hours
Adding up, driving time of 11.5 hours, breaks of 1 hour, and half an hour from Pune outskirt to home/hotel - it could be comfortably done.

You can also check your progress with this baseline and can check how you are faring, and recalculate your time to reach the destination.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 13:22   #81
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That's a very nice break up Arindam has given there. But then there are two points which I still want to differ on. Toll booths can be cleared in 1 min if they are empty. There's always a crowd in MH side of the NH4 near the toll booths. Further the deceleration to complete stop and then acceleration from 0 kph all accounts for delays over 1 min per toll.
I regularly do pune - hubli stretch and keep 120 kph, but analysing my gps logs always throws up average speed of around 65 - 70 kph inclusive of all stops. I stop mostly for refuelling.
Pune - Kolhapur stretch gets really pathetic at times, with loads of bikers on the road and one needs to watch out for tractors laden with farm produce coming from opposite side. Further, the yellow boards drive like maniacs making us slow down to save our bottoms, in this stretch. In the last 2 months, I'd have done the pune -kolhapur stretch 6 times. I've taken 4 hours non stop going to kolhapur and 3.45 coming back.
Remember, if you leave from Bangalore at 9, you need to stop for breakfast and then lunch as well. Based on your weariness, you may even want to have tea/ coffee breaks while refuelling your car in maharashtra. I look at a more realisting 14 - 15 hours from home to hotel.
Where are you planning to stay in Pune?
Old 15th May 2010, 12:17   #82
BHPian

MX & Arindam,
Thanks for the detailed info, this will definitely help.
I will be staying @ Kothrud; so once I hit Chandni Chowk - Pune, should not be a prob.

Cheers !
neo45007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 12:37   #83
BHPian

The roads from Bangalore to belagum is pretty good this time around we reached in 5.5 hours to belgaum it was a breeze; also road to goa from there is also pretty good as of now
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 14:42   #84
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
The roads from Bangalore to belagum is pretty good this time around we reached in 5.5 hours to belgaum it was a breeze; also road to goa from there is also pretty good as of now
How was the chitradurga - ranebennur stretch? I hear that the ranebennur bypass is complete. Is it?
Old 27th August 2011, 22:47   #85
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Belgaum (NH4) condition?

Can someone who has traveled recently from bangalore till atleast kolhapur update this thread? i'm travelling on 6th Oct. thanks.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 23:10   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Can someone who has traveled recently from bangalore till atleast kolhapur update this thread? i'm travelling on 6th Oct. thanks.
All details updated on the Bangalore-Bombay thread.
Hence this thread is not being updated.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...adtrip-58.html

Condition: Pristine 4L all the way except for two over bridges.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 10:33   #87
BHPian

Just back from Bangalore <-> Dharwar on NH4.
The road condition is simply EXCELLENT! There are few diversions needed here and there but overall, couldnt have asked for better.
Started from Dharwar at 3:30pm. Reached Bangalore around 9ish. Car was 2007 NHC GXi. Hit 150kmph as well at some stretches, but more around 120-130 as constant speed when the Sun god was gracious. Did slow down to 80-90kmph it got dark. Overall drove 1007kms. Total fuel used = 66 litres.
Average = 15.26kmpl!!

Aside: My 4 yr old daughter was very comfortable playing TempleRun on her iPad3. She wasnt much bothered by the speed or the bumps (very very few!!)
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 21:58   #88
Senior - BHPian

Recently I went for a trip through NH4. Last time when I had used NH4 (around 5-6 months back, stretch between Bangalore and Hubli) I had found out that the work (part of golden quadrilateral) was finally over with no more diversions to the service roads, or the old 2 lane highway. But this time, I was shocked to see that the roads are again dug up and and relaid. This is not putting a coat of tar but digging out the entire road and re-laying it again. I wonder why this had to be done so soon and whether it is some scam which has not made in to big news (or at least I am not aware of). If the road has to be redone gain it must be a surely shabby work/scam from the previous regime which was in charge.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 22:14   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Recently I went for a trip through NH4. Last time when I had used NH4 (around 5-6 months back, stretch between Bangalore and Hubli) I had found out that the work (part of golden quadrilateral) was finally over with no more diversions to the service roads, or the old 2 lane highway. But this time, I was shocked to see that the roads are again dug up and and relaid. This is not putting a coat of tar but digging out the entire road and re-laying it again. I wonder why this had to be done so soon and whether it is some scam which has not made in to big news (or at least I am not aware of). If the road has to be redone gain it must be a surely shabby work/scam from the previous regime which was in charge.
What you saw was work in progress for the 6laning of Tumkur-Chitradurga section of NH4.No scam on this one.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 22:39   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
What you saw was work in progress for the 6laning of Tumkur-Chitradurga section of NH4.No scam on this one.
That makes sense now. Does this involve digging previously laid 4 lanes?
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote