Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th August 2008, 14:31   #16
BHPian

Yep! The road is before Avinashi on NH 47. The road goes till Utukuli RS and then turns right and goes to Tiruppur, if you do not take the second left after right turn. BTW not sure if the overbridge on the Perundurai-Kangeyam road is completed (it was not last year). If not, this route can be used.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 00:18   #17
BHPian

For drive experience and scenery and time saving, this is an option
Mysore - Nanjungad - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Kalhatty Ghat - Ooty - Kotagiri - Mettupalayam - Annur - Somanur - Palladam - Tharapuram - Palani - Kodaikanal
This saves 2 hours time by avoiding Coimbatore where traffic is becoming worse like Bangalore. I use this route frequently between my guest houses in mudumalai and kodaikanal. I have done this route in Indigo, Innova, Scorpio. Innova was the best ride so far.
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 19:47   #18
BHPian

Default Is there a Level Crossing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Mysore - Nanjungad - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Kalhatty Ghat - Ooty - Kotagiri - Mettupalayam - Annur - Somanur - Palladam - Tharapuram - Palani - Kodaikanal
This saves 2 hours time by avoiding Coimbatore where traffic is becoming worse like Bangalore. I use this route frequently between my guest houses in mudumalai and kodaikanal. I have done this route in Indigo, Innova, Scorpio. Innova was the best ride so far.
Thanks Balan!. Would be using it for my Mysore Pollachi travel to either avoid Tiruppur or Coimbatore (and Coimbatore-Pollachi road) traffic. But is there a level crossing near Somanur?

Cheers!
~DWind
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 11:35   #19
BHPian

Default level crossing at somanur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Thanks Balan!. Would be using it for my Mysore Pollachi travel to either avoid Tiruppur or Coimbatore (and Coimbatore-Pollachi road) traffic. But is there a level crossing near Somanur?

Cheers!
~DWind
There is a level crossing at somanur but you can divert through a small underbridge. Ask the locals and they will point out or follow the local vehicles. In my times crossing this level crossing, I have been caught only once and I used the diversion
best regards
bala
Old 6th November 2008, 16:50   #20
BHPian

Default Chennai - Palani

Guys,

I am doing a Chennai-Palani trip this weekend with family.

Tentative route plan: Chennai-Krishangiri-Dharmapuri-Mettur-Bhavani-Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Palani

I know the conditions till Perundurai but haven't done the Perundurai-Palani stretch . Can someone provide me inputs on the road conditions and is it safe ? Based on this i will decide on taking this route or the usual Chennai-Villupuram-Trichy-Dindigul-Palani route.

Also can you give me a rough time estimate to complete this route ?

Plan is to start from Chennai early in the morning on Saturday and return back to Chennai on Sunday evening/night.

Last edited by Mission_Safari : 6th November 2008 at 16:52.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 21:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

107 kms from Perunthurai to Palani via Chennimalai, Gangeyam and Dharapuram. 2-3 hours time to drive. Road is 2 lane, but good. Safety is not an issue.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 21:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
107 kms from Perunthurai to Palani via Chennimalai, Gangeyam and Dharapuram. 2-3 hours time to drive. Road is 2 lane, but good. Safety is not an issue.
Thanks for clarifying HVK.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 14:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
what might be the total distance in this route
nithz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 15:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithz View Post
what might be the total distance in this route
Not exactly sure
Roughly
Mysore nanjungad bandipur mudumalai ooty 136 KM

Ooty Kotagiri Metupalayam - 55 KM

Metupalayam Annur Somanur Palladam - 60 KM

Palladam Dharapuram - 40 KM

Dharapuram Palani - 40 KM

Palani Kodaikanal - 60 KM

Roughly 400 KM. Plan to have a break at Dharapuram for lunch or what ever. There is a new restaurant now. Or break at Ooty at kurinji or nahar or Blue hills

Best regards
Bala
Old 31st August 2009, 19:02   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the info balan ,but what about the chamarajnagar -dimbam-sathi-perunthurai road ?what will be the distance ?i think this route will be shorter than ooty route from mysore.correct me if i am wrong .

Last edited by nithz : 31st August 2009 at 19:03.
nithz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 09:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithz View Post
Thanks for the info balan ,but what about the chamarajnagar -dimbam-sathi-perunthurai road ?what will be the distance ?i think this route will be shorter than ooty route from mysore.correct me if i am wrong .
If you are taking this route it would still make sense to go up to Annur and then turn onto Somanur - Palladam - Dharapuram - Palani. But keep in mind that the roads from Chamrajnagar to Hasanur is in bad shape and you would end up repenting taking that route. Post Tamil Nadu border the roads are in great shape all the way.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 18:21   #27
BANNED

folks,
Any update on road conditions on mysore-nanjangund-chamrajnagar-dhimbam-sathy.
Is there any time barrier to cross over? like closed after 6 pm etc.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 14:44   #28
BHPian

Default Re: Route from Mysore to Kodaikanal

anyone can update on Mysore-Kodai route?

My plan is to go via Chamrajnagar-dhimbam-sathy-kangayam-Dharapuram-palani-Kodai

How is the surface? any better options available?

Thanks
srinivaspai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 17:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post

My plan is to go via Chamrajnagar-dhimbam-sathy-kangayam-Dharapuram-palani-Kodai

Not sure if you need to go to Kangeyam. Sathy-Puliampatti-Sevur-Avinashi-Palladam-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodai may perhaps be shorter.

Roads till Palladam are very good, not sure about the road conditions after that. But most Tamilnadu State highways are generally maintained well, so I think they should be fairly good also.

For Mysore-Chamarajnagar it may be better to go via T.Narsipur instead of Nanjangud since the Mysore-Nanjangud sector is quite slow with heavy traffic and
not too great a road surface. Even the Nanjangud-CRNagar road had quite a few rough sections close to Nanjangud when I travelled that way last.
kala is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 10:33   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post

Thanks
+1 to what Kala said. You should continue on 209 and head to Avinashi. Take the road to Mangalam and there on to Palladam-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodai.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote