Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th August 2008, 22:02   #1
BHPian

Default Mumbai - Vizag route query

Hi!All,

My younger bro has been transferred to Vizag.He is planning to drive from Mumbai to Vizag in a Maruti Zen.As i write,he has completed the first leg of the journey and had reached Pune today.
He is planning to leave for Hyderabad on the 20th morning.Night stay would be at Hyderabad(Bowanpalli).
Onward journey from Hyderabad would be on the 22nd morning.
Would appreciate info on the route / road conditions from Hyderabad onwards.
Also any good place to halt in between if the situation demands.(Only he and his wife would be travelling)
Thanks in advance.
rahulvilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 22:07   #2
BHPian

Though I cannot be of much help with the accommodation I would really appreciate you or your brother posting the road condition and details of duration etc.

Hope he has a safe drive.
senindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 22:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Route is Hyderabad-NH9-Suriapet-Vijaywada-NH5-Eluru-Rajahmundry-Tuni-Vizag.

Road conditions were good till last week. There was heavy flooding on NH9 near Ibrahimpanam (before Vijayawada), thanks to a river overflowing, can expect some damage. Flooding was also reported in Eluru area on NH5, but I think roads should be OK.

You can easily do the Hyderabad-Vizag run in a day, but in case you mus hal, large towns en route are - Vijayawada, Eluru, Rajahmundry, Tuni, Annavaram (temple town).
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 23:17   #4
BHPian

Ha!..as i was explaining my bro..one of the first reverts would be from HVKumar..and there it is..Thanks HV!
What would be the best time to hit the road to cover the distance in one day ? To avoid traffic, congestion,road damage etc from Bowanpalli.
Any particular stretches to be avoided incase of travel post sunset ?
rahulvilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 23:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Difficult Q - if you leave too early, you have to face heavy incoming traffic, since this is a 2-lane road. If you leave too late, heavy traffic anyway. Maybe, I would target departure at first light (530 am?) so I beat at least Hyderabad city traffic and don't have to battle headlights.

No, I have not heard of any safety issues anywhere on this highway.

The alternative route is to turn off NH9 at Suriapet and go via Khammam to Rajahmundry (avoiding Vijaywada), less traffic. Check out other posts (especially tirthankar basu's) on details of this route. But if you find tthe NH9 traffic manageable, I would prefer NH9 since I get a great fast drive from V'Wada once I enter NH5
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote