Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th September 2012, 08:39   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Weekend Getaways from Mumbai

Very interesting and helpful suggestions here.

I found this slideshow on rediff with a small writeup on each destination - interesting. Some destinations have been covered in earlier posts, but it's helpful all the same.

http://www.rediff.com/getahead/slide...i/20120830.htm

Happy Driving !
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 10:51   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Are we not bored of visiting the same old Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar, Matheran & Alibaug more than once in a year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Malshej Ghat is a good drive during the monsoons. So is Nashik highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
1] malshej ghat-junner-lenyadri-ozar
enough for this monsoon!!!!
Hi Guys,

Family friends are planning a one day trip to Malshej Ghats tomorrow. I read many travelogues here and I was glad to see the pictures in the travelogues. However I am not going there for the views – I am going just to enjoy the drive. It seems to me (from whatever I have read) that the road conditions are good except for some bad patches.

Now I do not drive a lot hence wanted to ask whether the drive is very tough. The only so called “long drive” I have done is till Lonavala (Tiger point etc). Is it very difficult to drive in the ghats (given bad visibility due to fog and hairpin turns)? For some reason I am really not comfortable driving on inclines.

Also is it worth going there with family? I mean I do not want drunkards bathing in the waterfalls and creating ruckus. A few months back when I was in Matheran - while going from Dasturi Naka to Neral, some people were drinking and just dancing on the roads – It just makes me angry when people do such things.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 11:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

1]Family friends are planning a one day trip to Malshej Ghats tomorrow.

2] Now I do not drive a lot hence wanted to ask whether the drive is very tough.

3] Also is it worth going there with family? I mean I do not want drunkards bathing in the waterfalls and creating ruckus.
@Saanil,

1] you are going to Malshej tomorrow means on Sunday, then expect lot of picnickers there with lot of hallagulla.

2] Driving in ghat section is somewhat skill of patience, its not hard to drive but continuous eyes on the road and alertness is must. More you drive in the ghat section, more you will get the experience and skill.

3] Sadly, during monsoon, Malshej ghat is full of drunkard dancing on the road on weekends. Better, go there on any week day.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 11:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Family friends are planning a one day trip to Malshej Ghats tomorrow....
Saanil,

AP has crisply pointed out all aspects.

This particular ghat is not too much though and will be good to start with to gain some ghat experience. The old Mumbai-Pune NH4 Highway ghat would be much more difficult than this.

But just be careful of oncoming traffic, while maneuvering on turns, very few times it is narrow and can get close to the edge, there are edge barriers though broken at some places, especially since you are new to the ghat driving.

As experienced last monsoon at the start of Sep 2011, the ghat road was very patchy and badly ditchy at some places until you touch prime part of Malshej ghat drive, needed slow and steady maneuvering to avoid many ditches. Don't know this year, as we did not venture that side. But the road is easily maneuverable for a newbie too.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 21:20   #50
BHPian

Guys, also try out Kas. It is off Satara and the Kas plateau converts to a valley of flowers for 2 - 3 weeks every year just as the monsoons end. So the coming couple of weeks would be excellent. Kas is about 280 kms from Mumbai and just off the NH 4 - so driving is pleasant too.
Theres a good link here: http://www.kaasplateau.in/
http://www.dnaindia.com/pune/report_...-daily_1710438
ramraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 17:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a good day drip suggestion for this Friday. Want to leave in the morning and reach back by 7:30 - 8:00 pm.
First preference is some beach.

Thinking about Dahanu Beach - does anyone have an idea about how many kms it is from Mulund & how long it would take and how good/bad are the roads? What's the best route to take?

Also, are the good options for parking/eating in Dahanu beach. What else is there to do around there?

Any other getaway suggestions also welcome - shouldn't be much more than a couple of hours drive from Mulund.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 18:06   #52
BHPian

@carboy, We stayed at Hotel Pearline, office trip many years ago. Decent property and decent food for the area. Parsi owned place, so plenty of rules
Come to think of it, the harsh sun would be quite an pain for me, I am guessing you want a water body, not necessarily a beach to go into, right?

Try Bhandardara, should be the same distance, but superb location to explore, negligent traffic, and should be cooler than Dahanu.
Food, should be done at Anandvan, - Link, very pricey, but was good when I visited. Do call them in advance and confirm your plans.

Have a great one and do update us.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 19th May 2013 at 18:07. Reason: spacing
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 18:28   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@carboy, We stayed at Hotel Pearline, office trip many years ago. Decent property and decent food for the area. Parsi owned place, so plenty of rules
Come to think of it, the harsh sun would be quite an pain for me, I am guessing you want a water body, not necessarily a beach to go into, right?

Not looking for a place to stay. Will just roam around on the beach, eat etc and drive back.

Is there no beach to go into in Dahanu?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2013, 20:03   #54
BHPian

I suggested Pearline, for lunch. Beach is not great, opposite pearline, there is a large grove of casuarina trees, so some shade on the beach. Due to industries, the water was very dirty.

There is also Palghar and Kelva, which have a decent shoreline, food may be local home stay type foods with some resorts where you may be able to get some lunch.

Kelva Beach Resort might be a better option for food.
Old 19th May 2013, 23:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not looking for a place to stay. Will just roam around on the beach, eat etc and drive back.

Carboy
Hi.
Bang opposite the Pearline resort you have a park with benches under the casuarina trees and due to the cover of the trees there is protection from the sun,at least until late afternoon.
The park used to be empty, at least on a weekday. Wouldnt know about the weekend.
I had proposed Pearline for the next team-bhp lunch meet which is scheduled for 26th of this month. Incidentally there havnt been any posts in the last 2/3 days so I am not too sure about the meet happening.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 13:57   #56
BHPian

Guys,

I am planning a 3-4 days trip during end June to some place near Mumbai. It would be only two of us (I and spouse). Trip is purely been planned for relaxation and am not looking for any trekking during this trip. Googleing various destinations near Mumbai, I have shortlisted following places

Panchaganai
Bhandardara
Daman

Need some advice about the road conditions for these places (and if possible about accommodation as well).

We recently did Ganapatipule trip. so that is out of question now. Another place that was on the cards (but was dropped out because of Monsoon) was Harihareshwar, Diveagar.

Looking forward for any inputs from fellow BHPians.
F1amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 20:39   #57
BHPian

Panchaganai - Would be damp and musty, due to the rains. I am not sure if you would be able to go out and enjoy the weather. That said, it will be beautiful and amazing if you get a good hotel with a good view.

Bhandardara - comes alive in this season. Anandvan is a very pricey option, it was the only oiption when I went there in 2005. Superb location and amazing views around.

Igatpuri - This is a little before Bhandardara, Manas has some good properties and food also was good enough. One of Manas has the best view, I can't remember which one though.

Hadshi - I have not been here but, I like what I saw in some travelogues here (2011 Monsoon Trips: Hadshi (Temple, Lotus Flowers, Paddy Fields, Rolling Green Hills))

Avoid Daman, IMHO, not the place in this weather.

Have a good trip
Old 17th June 2013, 23:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Guys try Jawhar, it is a place which is very beautifull in rains but not crowded.

Not many hotels to choose though.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 12:33   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Thinking about Dahanu Beach - does anyone have an idea about how many kms it is from Mulund & how long it would take and how good/bad are the roads? What's the best route to take?
Dahanu beach is a great place if you do not want to venture into the beach. It is a regular weekend getaway for us. Count it some 4-5 times a year atleast.

Dahanu is around 100Kms GhodBunder junction. Continue onto NH8, take the left after Charoti toll plaza(the 2nd one after entering onto NH8) and continue towards Dahanu. After some 25kms, you would cross a railway crossing bridge, after which you would reach onto a 'T' junction. Take a left to go towards Dahanu beach, taking a right takes you to Dahanu Station. Taking a left, going straight for a couple of kms, you would reach a circle in the middle of which a huge tree is standing, take a right and you would see Dahanu beach 50 mtrs away.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Also, are the good options for parking/eating in Dahanu beach. What else is there to do around there?
As suggested, hotel Pearline is awesome. Food, garden and opposite to the beach. There is one more just adjacent to Pearline, called beach classic. From what I have been hearing, they both belong to almost the same management, brothers or so. Not sure on this part.

Beach classic also has a open air restaurant with great ambiance and food. Would recommend it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
For some water activities, I would be going to Krazy Krab resort near Golvad. Decent food with a swimming pool. You don't expect a water kingdom there.

Quote:

You have a beach, but you won't feel like getting into the water. As mentioned, water is no longer clean, but you have plenty of options to roam around the beach and enjoy the sunset.
Try being there in the evenings and enjoy some bhel-puris by the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Guys try Jawhar, it is a place which is very beautifull in rains but not crowded.

Not many hotels to choose though.
Have been thinking to visit Jahwar on our Dahanu trips, as it is quite near. Any activities? What that place is all about? Some more information would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by carzone : 18th June 2013 at 12:35.
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 13:35   #60
BHPian

Mumbaiwaasis (and neighbours and everyone else)

I am traveling to Mumbai/Pune mid December with a few friends. Have 2 nights free when I am not sure what to do, so was thinking of skipping town and going to some nice, cold place.

Need interesting places near Mumbai/Pune. here is what I am looking for:
1. Should be easily accessible from Mumbai/Pune (rail/volvo) as I will not have a car and not too far. Will prefer something under 150-200 kms
2. A decent place (~3k) to stay
3. Not crazy busy (before 20th Dec)
4. Good, clean hill stations/ beaches preferred

Google gives me: Daman,Matheran,Lonavla,Alibaug,and a few other places

Being a first timer in Maharashtra, need pointers.

Thanks!
akshaymahajan is offline   Reply With Quote