Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 12:37   #76
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,005
Thanked: 6,041 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hyd - Blr can be done within 7 hors if you are a fast driver with one break. Very much achievable within 8.

Cheers
MC, 7 hours is very optimistic and probably a lot rash too. Remember its 560 kms which means an average of 80kmph all through

I think 9 hours is a decent time with some steady driving at over 100kmph will ensure you reach Bangalore.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 13:21   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,977
Thanked: 344 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
MC, 7 hours is very optimistic and probably a lot rash too. Remember its 560 kms which means an average of 80kmph all through

I think 9 hours is a decent time with some steady driving at over 100kmph will ensure you reach Bangalore.
A friend of mine did Hyd - BLR in 6.5 hours on a Accent CRDi with 1 break. I have myself done Hyd - Blr in 9 hours in car being run-in with 4 breaks, 3 of which were 15 minute power nap breaks.

The roads from Hyderabad upto Kurnool is good. and so is the stretch from almost Ananthapur to Bangalore. These are the places were you can easily do about 140-160 KMPH.

Over all NH7 Hyd - Blr is best done in the day time as at night it becomes a bit to crowded with all the Volvos and trucks.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 13:58   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
kutlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,108
Thanked: 129 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

hi MC, i think 6.5 is rather challenging time even for some seasoned drivers. I guess the roads are quite good condition for that kind of timing. I may do this route soon to find out.
kutlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 14:18   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 280 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
A friend of mine did Hyd - BLR in 6.5 hours on a Accent CRDi with 1 break. I have myself done Hyd - Blr in 9 hours in car being run-in with 4 breaks, 3 of which were 15 minute power nap breaks.

The roads from Hyderabad upto Kurnool is good. and so is the stretch from almost Ananthapur to Bangalore. These are the places were you can easily do about 140-160 KMPH.

Over all NH7 Hyd - Blr is best done in the day time as at night it becomes a bit to crowded with all the Volvos and trucks.
Wow!! this is nice to know, but when will the 4laning gets over through the entire stretch, probably 8 hours will be a decent enough time to do hyd-blr assuming average of around 80km/h with break.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 15:22   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 123
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

This is really exciting. I haven't done Hyd-BLR since sometime and waiting for the completion of the 4 laning.

Another interesting fact is that both the airports are in the outskirts of the city in the NH7.

If Airport to Airport is 7-8 hrs, how about a Taxi company running shuttles in 8 hrs instead of catching a flight (Checkin, wait time, flight time, luggage collection anyway take about 4 hrs)...
prabingade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 15:57   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 280 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabingade View Post
Another interesting fact is that both the airports are in the outskirts of the city in the NH7.

If Airport to Airport is 7-8 hrs, how about a Taxi company running shuttles in 8 hrs instead of catching a flight (Checkin, wait time, flight time, luggage collection anyway take about 4 hrs)...
I still think, taking your own car would be a better proposition instead of taking a taxi.But now I suppose, road journey is comparable to the time taken by train. A diesel car and minimum 2 passengers will work out cheaper than the Rajdhani I guess.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 16:07   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,977
Thanked: 344 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabingade View Post
This is really exciting. I haven't done Hyd-BLR since sometime and waiting for the completion of the 4 laning.

Another interesting fact is that both the airports are in the outskirts of the city in the NH7.

If Airport to Airport is 7-8 hrs, how about a Taxi company running shuttles in 8 hrs instead of catching a flight (Checkin, wait time, flight time, luggage collection anyway take about 4 hrs)...
The 7 Hrs time is from Shamshabad to Devnahalli. Devnahalli to MG Road ,may take you another 2 hours though .

My 9 hrs round was done by starting at 2 am from my house, reaching Shamshabad at 2.30 crossing Devnahalli just after 11 am. Rajdhani if I rememember correctly takes more than 11 Hrs.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 18th August 2009 at 16:10.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 16:35   #83
BHPian
 
Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Christchurch NZ
Posts: 130
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The 7 Hrs time is from Shamshabad to Devnahalli. Devnahalli to MG Road ,may take you another 2 hours though .
Ahhh there you go! with decent speeds 7 hrs is enough to run between these points.
While I drove to Kerala, we started around 5:45 AM from Madhapur,Hyd and we were having our Breaktfast at around 8 AM from the Ghar ka Dhaba near Kurnool. That is slightly under 200 Kms in 2 hrs. Then I told my wife that if we could keep these avg speeds then we could have evening snacks at my House in Kerala. Then went on to have evening snacks at a place between BLR-Mysore and very-late dinner/too-Early Breakfast at my House in Kerala.
Infact the first 200 Kms from Hyd(I think it is till Jadcherla) is a properly laid 4 lane highway and hitting 130-140 KMPH is not very risky.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 16:35   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 280 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The 7 Hrs time is from Shamshabad to Devnahalli. Devnahalli to MG Road ,may take you another 2 hours though .

My 9 hrs round was done by starting at 2 am from my house, reaching Shamshabad at 2.30 crossing Devnahalli just after 11 am. Rajdhani if I rememember correctly takes more than 11 Hrs.
So point to point will still take around 10-12 hrs depending upon the location.If airport to airport is 7-8 hrs, that is still good compared to the time taken by trains then.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 17:16   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,977
Thanked: 344 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ahhh there you go! with decent speeds 7 hrs is enough to run between these points.
Remember distance between these two pionts is still about 520 Kms, requiring average speeds of 70 KMPH +, which is no mean feat on normal Indian Highways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
While I drove to Kerala, we started around 5:45 AM from Madhapur,Hyd and we were having our Breaktfast at around 8 AM from the Ghar ka Dhaba near Kurnool. That is slightly under 200 Kms in 2 hrs. Then I told my wife that if we could keep these avg speeds then we could have evening snacks at my House in Kerala. Then went on to have evening snacks at a place between BLR-Mysore and very-late dinner/too-Early Breakfast at my House in Kerala.
Infact the first 200 Kms from Hyd(I think it is till Jadcherla) is a properly laid 4 lane highway and hitting 130-140 KMPH is not very risky.
The good 4 laning is almost till 20 kms before Kurnool only thing is the toll is at Jadcherla which is 96 Kms from Hyderabad IIRC. After about 10 KMs from Jadcherla, due to construction, bi-direction flow is there on one side, but still good for decent speeds. When I went, I started from my house at Punjagutta at 2 AM and was at Aapno Ghar Dhaba at 4.45 with one power nap break in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
So point to point will still take around 10-12 hrs depending upon the location.If airport to airport is 7-8 hrs, that is still good compared to the time taken by trains then.
With traffic and everything else in place, 9 Hours with decent car and decent is very much possible between city - centers.
Decent Car = 1.6 Sedan / Hatchback
Decent Speed = 80-120KMPH cruising
Decent Driver = Normal TBHPian who likes speed
Disclaimers: Freak Traffic Jams not counted! LOL!

Last edited by MileCruncher : 18th August 2009 at 17:26.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 17:43   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 280 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
With traffic and everything else in place, 9 Hours with decent car and decent is very much possible between city - centers.
Decent Car = 1.6 Sedan / Hatchback
Decent Speed = 80-120KMPH cruising
Decent Driver = Normal TBHPian who likes speed
Disclaimers: Freak Traffic Jams not counted! LOL!
Nice DECENT description Anirudh ,IMO if the roads are good even a santro or Alto can cover the distance in good enough time.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 21:02   #87
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 143
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Nice DECENT description Anirudh ,IMO if the roads are good even a santro or Alto can cover the distance in good enough time.
Second that Fordmanchau but also agree with Anirudh!

In June, I did this in my 1.1 L i10 in under 8.5 hours with 2 breaks. Started in Marthahalli at ~4.15 and was in Miyapur at 1 PM. Even went into work - only downside to doing this was I continued to see 'trucks' on my computer monitor!

However the onward journey from Hyd to B'lore took ~13 hours as the car was loaded to the brim (4 adults + 6 full suitcases + pots and other heavy baubles from Shilparamam). My dad doesn't keep good health so we had take 5 breaks.

Bottomline - if the car is 'light' then even a 1.1 L car can do it in under 9 hours, with not too many '1.6' cars overtaking you! . But when loaded, you should allow most '1.6' cars (loaded or otherwise) to pass!

BTW I doff my hat to all worthies who have done this in under 8 hours!
carZest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 12:57   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,416
Thanked: 1,536 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
Anyone travelled BLR-HYD recently? I'm looking for the latest road conditions and timings. Planning this drive by Sept end.
  • 4 laning is almost complete till Penukonda(the intersection for turn off to Puttaparthi).Lots of diversions though and bidirectional traffic at many points.Avg speeds of 90kmph can be maintained.
  • Aim to reach Devanahalli by 5am,that way you can avoid city traffic and plus you would be on the highway by day break.Better visibility.
  • Ideal way would be to pack up sandwiches at the 24hour Coffee Day Outlet at Devanahalli before the airport turn off.Keep looking towards your right and you would find it.Fresh sandwiches and coffee.
  • There are a couple of railway crossings on the highway and ensure to have your windows up at these crossings,as the gatemen at these gates have a tendency to stop you and ask for money.
  • Refuelling can be done at Anantpur BP,Only place on the highway that accepts cards and has an electronic air machine.
  • Food stops virtually dont exist on this route.The only decent places for loo breaks can be at the Ghar Dhaba just before Gooty and the other one at the Ghar Dhaba after Kurnool town.The other option would be for you to stop at the Reliance Petrol Pumps(they dont sell petrol anymore,instead they sell LPG/CNG)and use their loo.They are guaranteed to be clean
  • 0500 departure from Devanahalli will ensure that you reach Shamshabad by 1500 with ample breaks and an avg speed of 80-90kmph.
  • The only place to lookout for on the route is the spectacular ISCKON Temple on your right at Anantpur.
  • At Shamshabad,depending on where you have to go inside the city,take the left turnoff for the Outer Ring Road and escape the city traffic
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 14:31   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,656
Thanked: 280 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
Second that Fordmanchau but also agree with Anirudh!

In June, I did this in my 1.1 L i10 in under 8.5 hours with 2 breaks. Started in Marthahalli at ~4.15 and was in Miyapur at 1 PM. Even went into work - only downside to doing this was I continued to see 'trucks' on my computer monitor!


Bottomline - if the car is 'light' then even a 1.1 L car can do it in under 9 hours, with not too many '1.6' cars overtaking you! . But when loaded, you should allow most '1.6' cars (loaded or otherwise) to pass!

!
Nicely said Carzest!!

@ranjitp1 : Nice piece fo information there, Would be very helpful.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 16:01   #90
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 11
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Driving from Hyderabad to Bangalore - suggestions

All,

I am moving from Hyderabad to Bangalore, and will be driving down next week in my Santro. The distance is being shown as 550+ kms, and am planning a day drive.

Any suggestions on what route to take, to have a safe and 'enjoyful' drive, other than what is being shown on the directions in googlemaps?

~ Praveen

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2009 at 16:30. Reason: Please use search before opening a new thread, Thanks
avenger1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2535 4th December 2016 07:17
Bangalore - Delhi - Srinagar - Delhi - Bangalore : Route Queries micrographics Route / Travel Queries 8 27th November 2015 14:47
Route Help: Hyderabad - Goa - Udupi - Bangalore - Hyderabad changaez Route / Travel Queries 28 22nd January 2012 16:56
Hyderabad - Coonoor - Ashtamudi: Route & Accommodation Queries MileCruncher Route / Travel Queries 2 5th January 2011 23:01
Bílore-Hyderabad-Nagpur-Jabalpur-Maihar Route/Hotel/Food Queries. Su-47 Route / Travel Queries 9 11th March 2008 11:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks