Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th November 2009, 15:19   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
This is fantastic news, ramkya. I'm sure after this work is over Gujarat will be at par with China in terms of road infrastructure. High time state authorities woke up in MP as well. North-South and vice versa travellers like us will get multiple options that are good if that happens
I already saw some work happening near Manor and Surat side. There was no disruption of traffic. I only wish they do this without causing too much disruption of traffic flow.

On another note, I really wonder whether six laning will ease the traffic. If the existing traffic follows discipline, it will serve the purpose I presume. Change the toll gate payment mechanism, have express counter, slow moving traffic in left lane.. These are all low cost things that can greatly help. The example is Ahmedabad - Vadora expressway. Despite being four laned, one can easily maintain average speed because of disciplined driving. Six laning without fencing will cause more havoc than help travellers.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 15:24   #47
Senior - BHPian

Toll gate efficiency needs dramatic improvement. Cannot happen as long as political goondas take over this business. Take the example of the IRB toll gate between Vasai and Virar on N H8 - miserable state of affairs, takes sometimes upto 20-30 minutes to clear even at 330 am in the night, both sides.

Inadequate counters, poor quality of manpower and irreverence to customer's time, negates the whole purpose of building these efficient highways. Was on NH4, and the Satara toll gate too was terrible. Another place near Hubli in KA, they were changing shifts and had the gall to make me wait for ages to issue me a ticketunder the pretext that the new guy will do the honours.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 15:37   #48
BHPian

I agree with Kumar completely. I remember a time on the AB Road when after entering Maharashtra, I kept waiting in the queue at a toll gate and there was just one counter. Several local cars came, broke the discipline of the queue and passed the gate before me. I was really tested to the limit as my fuse was about to blow but I somehow controlled my temper and stuck to the queue till my number finally came
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
This is fantastic news, ramkya. I'm sure after this work is over Gujarat will be at par with China in terms of road infrastructure. High time state authorities woke up in MP as well. North-South and vice versa travellers like us will get multiple options that are good if that happens
At par with China??????????? Not in a long long time!!!!! My brother goes there once in a while and says they are light years ahead. Where cities obstruct traffic, they elevate whole 6 lanes above the city and by-pass it from ABOVE!!!! Something like the GQ stretch at Kanpur, we need more of those.

---------
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 16:09   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
At par with China??????????? Not in a long long time!!!!! My brother goes there once in a while and says they are light years ahead. Where cities obstruct traffic, they elevate whole 6 lanes above the city and by-pass it from ABOVE!!!! Something like the GQ stretch at Kanpur, we need more of those.

---------
Phew!! Reminds me of the speedways in Japan. We definitely need to replicate the flyover density of Delhi in multiple towns and cities across the country. Hopefully, after that we will catch up
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:16   #51
BHPian

Once the stretch is complete, it will be smooth running for the Mumbai - Delhi Corridor. I agree with Kumar on the Ahmd- Rajkot stretch, its a very good road with not much of traffic. May be the idea of widening would be for the Mundra port traffic!

I'm planning on doing Mumbai - Rajkot during the Christmas Weekend. Just hope that I manage to get out of office by Christmas! But then if i do it shall definitely update you guys on the road condition.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 19:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Good News

Met a friend in the next block from where I live in Ahmedabad who drives every week-end to Surat on a Xylo. He says it takes exactly 1 hour to Baroda, and 2.5 hours from Baroda to Surat. He starts on Saturday evenings and comes back on Monday mornings.

Looks like things have improved a lot in this section, we hear less and less about people getting stuck.

======
Old 23rd January 2010, 21:07   #53
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

As posted by Mr. Pravin S.Nampoothiri in India Highway, some valuable information on the stretch:

"Happened to drive from Vadodara to Vapi on 1st Jan and back on 3rd Jan. A friend was commenting that "1st ko drive karne ko mila, matlab poore saal drive karega !". What more can one ask for in the new year....

Road condition is excellent between Vadodara and Valsad. Bharuch-Surat stretch is literally a "run way" now. Flyover construction / repair going on at about 4 places (last one near Dungri) and traffic diverted to service roads which are in bad condition, but this is on very small segments. I was expecting traffic jams due to
this, but was pleasantly surprised to find none. On 1st Jan, every 3rd or 4th vehicle was an MH vehicle ! Didnt know so many Mumbaikars partied in Gujarat on 31st Dec.

Valsad-Vapi is in very bad condition, with major flyover workover work happening (near Atul). And even where repair work is not happening, roads are still pathetic. Vapi-Daman route is as usual - nothing great. Is a
typical small town road, but just the fact that you are so near to Daman makes one forget all that :-)

On the return drive, saw traffic jam near Bharuch toll naka. The reason being vehicles coming from Bharuch getting onto the highway by cutting across the road and that holding up everyone. As usual, no traffic police in
sight - so its a free for all. But other than this bit, it was a cool drive"

===

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd January 2010 at 21:09.
Old 27th January 2010, 00:32   #54
BHPian

Default Toll info & Driving time

Quote:
As posted by Mr. Pravin S.Nampoothiri in India Highway, some valuable information on the stretch:

"Happened to drive from Vadodara to Vapi on 1st Jan and back on 3rd Jan.
===
Just to add some more info on Baroda-Vapi stretch:

a) Toll booths - all operating smoothly. Did not experience or see any delays there. I think I paid about 200-300 Rs total toll both ways between Baroda and Valsad.

b) Toll booth between Valsad and Vapi - One does not have to pay toll here (Rs 67 return) if one is going only to Vapi. But those guys will not tell you that.

c) Driving time: On 1-Jan-10, I started from Baroda at 10:30 AM and reached Valsad at 2:45 PM. Took 1 hour more on return journey - started at 12:30 PM and reached at 5:30 PM. (including 15-min jam at Bharuch and 45-min lunch break).
pravin_sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 09:26   #55

Default Re: Baroda - Surat Road Conditions - Updates

Quote:
If you want FASTEST BET, its Surat-Baroda on NH8, if you're lucky you'd do it in 3 hours, average 3-5 hours, if unlucky you'd get caught in a jam. Have lots of business friends driving to Surat 2/3 times a week, the jams are becoming lesser and lesser because the L&T sections from Baroda to Ankleswer are smooth, more regulated and ready to be handed over in June / July, 09.

If you're driving from A'bad-Mumbai and have a whole day, you can try out all the other alternative routes. They are single track, mostly good with patches of bad roads, more scenic, interesting, twisty, less traffic and would take more or less the same drive time. If you do not know the exact route / turns and don't have a log sheet to follow or a GPS to give you direction guide, don't try, you'd end up taking the wrong turn and waste a whole lot of time. I've done most of these routes and know the pit falls of taking wrong turns.

With your schedule, don't think anything other than NH8, no chance of missing turns, its one straight road.

SURAT TO VADODARA IS A NIGHTMARE OF A DRIVE : I JUST DID THE MUMBAI VADDARA DAHOD AND BACK FROM FRIDAY 23RD TO SUNDAY 25TH APRIL AND BHARAUCH WAS HORRIBLE . EXPECT TWO HOURS DELAY - CAN ALSO COSNDIER THE ANKLESWAR BYPASS ROADS ON WAY TO VADADARA
charulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 14:04   #56
BHPian

Hi

Can anyone advise me on the road and traffic conditions between Vadodara and Surat as it is a part of my drive which I begin next week?

- DRIVEPASSION
DRIVEPASSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 15:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
Hi

Can anyone advise me on the road and traffic conditions between Vadodara and Surat as it is a part of my drive which I begin next week?

- DRIVEPASSION
Road is excellent.
Traffic is crazy. Trucks will be all over the place.
Bharuch-Ankleshwar River Narmada Bridge is always traffic jammed, take the road through the respective towns.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 17:17   #58
BHPian

HVK

Thanks for a pretty specific update - what would be the right time of the day to cross with minimal traffic - considering that this is a part of my drive which starts from Delhi - Shirdi and then Goa

DRIVEPASSION
DRIVEPASSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 20:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEPASSION View Post
HVK

Thanks for a pretty specific update - what would be the right time of the day to cross with minimal traffic - considering that this is a part of my drive which starts from Delhi - Shirdi and then Goa

DRIVEPASSION
Very difficult Q, but driving South GJ-North MH in the afternoon time means least traffic, early morning can be terrible and late evening quite congested but not bad.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2011, 21:52   #60
BHPian

I was on Vapi - Gandhinagar trip last weekend. Full stretch is almost complete. 6 lanes all the way from Vapi - Vadodara. After that NE1.

There's a little use of last lane(outermost). All speedy goons were using last lane like world is going to end in 2012 and they have some urgent business to complete.

Drive safe. People are forgetting rules of driving in Highways.
zalaps is offline   Reply With Quote