Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th September 2008, 12:37   #1

Default Request Route Suggestion: Chn-Hogenakkal-BLR-Chn

Hey guys,

We are planning for a road trip to Hogenakkal and Bangalore from Chennai for a weekend... (hopefully this weekend!!)

A half day session or so in Hog and rest in bangalore...

Request your expert opinion / suggestions in followng areas -
  • Best Route for this / tips on duration of journey etc
  • Route conditions
  • Recent expereinces (good/bad) ?
  • Any special precautions u can think of?
Please help!!!
ferrari.frenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 13:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Chennai - Kanchipuram - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Pennagaram - HogenakkalFalls.
There is one more route: Krishnagiri - Kaveripatnam - Palacode - Pennagaram - Hogenakkal Falls (there is a right turn at kaveripatnam, road was very bad few years back but has improved as reported by csenthil in the forum).

Start early morning as the drive will take about 5+ hours from Chennai.

Return Bangalore via the same route till Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore. If you want to reach HSR Layout, Koramangala or Bangalore North or East then you can choose the route:
Attibele - Sarjapur - HSR ORR

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 14:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

akroy's route is pretty much correct. You can search the forum for a couple of threads on the same topic which has elaborate details. The right from Kaveripatnam is just near the end of town. Ask someone if you are not sure.

However you don't have to come to Krishnagiri to return to Bangalore. You could continue on from Palakode towards Hosur

You could do Hogenakkal - Pennagaram - Palakode - Rayakottai - Hosur - Bangalore. This is shorter by 25kms+ and avoids Kaveripatnam bottleneck.

If you are parking your car in the bus stand car park only then pay the parking fees. If you are parking it in TTDC then you don't have to pay in the entrance.

Never fall for the agents in Hogennakal who will ask Rs. 1000/- for a coracle ride. You will get much better deals as you walk up close to the waterfalls. You can bargain for Rs. 40/- to 50/- per person or even lesser.

Carry a water proof plastic cover in which you can wrap you mobiles, car keys (especially remote locking devices), cameras etc. Chances of getting wet by spray, falling into the water, getting wet inside the coracle itself are there.

It can be extremely hot and humid at times when you go boat riding. So have some water or electrol with you.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 14:39   #4
BHPian

I think hognekal to Bangalore route is not the Correct one ... If you come VIA Dharmapuri it will be round about. From Hognekal you can directly reach Hosur with out touching Dharmapuri/Krishnagiri...
Same misktake we did while going... We went from Bangalore-Hosur-Dharmapuri(Rightturn)-Hognekal.
But while coming we directly joined to Hosur... All Cab Driver take this route only... Youcan follow them
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 20:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
I think hognekal to Bangalore route is not the Correct one ... If you come VIA Dharmapuri it will be round about. From Hognekal you can directly reach Hosur with out touching Dharmapuri/Krishnagiri...
Same misktake we did while going... We went from Bangalore-Hosur-Dharmapuri(Rightturn)-Hognekal.
But while coming we directly joined to Hosur... All Cab Driver take this route only... Youcan follow them
Ya csenthil has pretty much summed the best possible route optimising both distance and good roads.

Just for info. the shortest distance for Hogenakkal is:
Hosur - Denkanikota - Anchatti - Pennagaram route but heard that roads are not that great near Anchatti.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 14:56   #6
BHPian

Some pic of my last trip @
das.arindam @ picassa.com
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2008, 17:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think members have already given all good routes.
Btw, you can check this thread for the return route from Hog.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kal-falls.html (One day trips - Visiting Hogenekkal Falls)
And you don't need to pay any parking charge to the person while entering for your car. Tell them you are parking in TTDC parking and go straight to the TTDC parking. Its the safest option.
For coracle, as others said, do not go with the guys coming behind you. Just ignore, walk to the place and talk with the drivers. Usually its like Rs50 per person. But dont be surprised if he is not going by that. If you are a group of 5 to 6 then you can negotiate with him and take it for say 400-500. You can go to the other side, spend some real good time in water and then return.
If you wanna try fish, then this is the place. Do not try fish in the entrance or any hotel. It will be bad.
Enjoy your ride. Good luck
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 14:15   #8

Hi all,
I'll be travelling to Yercaud & Hogenakkal this weekend.

Route in which I'm planning to go is,
1. Chennai - Vaniyambadi - Tirupathur - Harur - Salem - Yercaud.

2. Yercaud - Salem - Omalur - Dharmapuri - Pennagaram - Hogenakkal.

3. Hogenakkal - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri - Chennai.

I need few info from fellow tbhp'ians.
1. How is the road condition between Tirupathur & Salem.
I Just had a glimpse of this route when I went to yelagiri from vaniyambadi. If that is the case till salem, I would prefer Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri route.
I know that the road is not that great till tirupathur. How is it after tirupathur?

2. Is there any way I can avoid entering salem town? Or to be precise, what is the best route to reach yercaud ghat road starting point from ayodhiyapattinam.

3. Same goes when I come down from yercaud to Hogenakkal.

4. Any suggestions or inputs regarding my route to hogenakkal and chennai.

5. I'll be going to TTDC in hogenakkal. So according to few pals, I need not pay entrance fee. What is that?
Is it the fee we need to pay when we enter pennagaram? or the fee for parking in hogenakkal before water falls.

6. Any other suggestions or precautions I need to care.

Thanks in advance
-RAJ
rajagopalang is offline   Reply With Quote