Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 16th September 2008, 12:49   #1

Question The "Where do I Park" Thread

Hi

I am planning to drive up from Pune to Manmad where I would join my friends and plan to leave my car there for a week or so and drive back to Pune afterwards. Do you think it's a good idea? Obviously I am asking this because I don't know anyone in Manmad who I could leave the car with. Any suggestions about where I can park the car would be welcome.

Thanks.
aloathsomebrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 13:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

man,
if you do not know anyone in manmad, do not park your car in manmad unattended.
railway junctions like manmad and daund are famous for thieves.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 14:46   #3
manukale

Thumbs down Total No, No!!

Why so desperation? Manmad, from Pune is around 4.30 hrs. journey by train. For that why to risk your vehicle? Discard the idea at root itself.
Old 2nd October 2008, 20:55   #4

Thanks for the reply guys - have dropped the idea. Will probably look for buses now (train timings aren't quite working out) though not sure if any buses go to Manmad (not just Shirdi) - haven't found any online.
aloathsomebrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 14:54   #5
BHPian

Default Dasturi Naka Matheran - How safe it is to park your vehicle overnight

To those who have visited Matheran in their own vehicles:

Background:
I am visiting Matheran on 2nd and 3rd October. I will be using my own vehicle to go to Matheran, but understand that you have to park your vehicle at Dasturi Naka, about 2.5 kms away from Market place. I will be coming back on 4th October.

Query:
1. How safe is to park your vehicle at Dasturi Naka for 2 nights? What charges (if any) I need to pay for parking my vehicle there.

2. Any reviews on Brightland resort at Matheran? I am planning to stay there.

thanks

takecare and drive safely
rkavthekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 22:45   #6
BHPian

1>Last year when i was there some one hit my car in the parking resulting in a big dent at rear as it depends on the luck,ow its quite safe but very dusty and very uneven surface,
2>Charges are not much . i really don't remember how much i paid last time.

Wish you all the best for your trip its really beautiful place to spend weekend.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 22:51   #7
BHPian

I was also told to watch out for the monkeys, who could leave scratches -- and perhaps take a fancy to your ORVMs. And I'm not referring to the tourist touts.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 22:53   #8
BHPian

Man, you are going on a long weekend. It will too crowdy. I

Regarding your question.
The parking lot will be full of cars due to long weekend. Reach there in the morning and you'll get to park near to the entrance/exit. With respect to safety, don't fear to lose your car but dents are not unheard of. If nobody dents your car, then the monkeys will. They jump on the roofs of the car once in a while. I have experienced it. Charges are something like Rs. 35 per day.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 22:54   #9
BHPian

I thing its good idea to carry your car cover,this help you to protect car from the dust and scratches,
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 10:13   #10
BHPian

Thanks for your replies. Appreciate your inputs. I will take necessary precaution.

Old 30th October 2009, 15:17   #11
BHPian

@Rajesh: Please let me know how was the trip overall.
I am planning for Matheran overnight trip coming weekend.

The parking is safe over there?
And any good hotel you can suggest?
sidd25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 13:34   #12
BHPian

Unfortunately I am not driving to Matheran this week due to some persona reasons.
So will be planning a better weekend next week.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:21   #13
BHPian

sidd :
Parking is pretty safe as I have done so on a couple of occasions.
Have also stayed at Brightland/Horseland resort and it is pretty decent for a night or so.
Plenty of other hotels to choose from , but are you planning to go there and then hunt one down rather than booking earlier?
If yes, be aware that you need to walk a lot from the parking for any decent hotels (as always MTDC resort has taken up a prime spot at the start but most others are near the market/town centre so to speak.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:00   #14
BHPian

Thanks Abhay,
Yes, I Have not planned the hotel yet. Was thinking of getting it there only.
But I will check out for MTDC now. Walking too much is just not my cup of tea
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:17   #15
BHPian

@sidd25 - Well, the parking at Dasturi Naka is pretty safe. I had been there on a long weekend and there were atleast 100 cars parked and the Parking are could take another 50 or so. Anyways, ample parking available and should not be an issue.

As far hotels are concerned, you should be able to get a one after arriving since it is not a peak holiday season or a long weekend. However, I would suggest you to go through a review on the net of target hotels for reference. I stayed at Brightland and its a decent place. Most of the decent hotels and the market place are around 2.5 to 3kms away from Dasturi Naka.

Another observation - Matheran Ghat is pretty steep for the first timer. I typically observed several Santros and Indica's parked on the side of the road due to overheating, typically in the last section of the ghat. The locals (taxiwalla's) use Maruti Omni and I was surprised to see not a single Omni stopped due to overheating inspite of overloaded with people. I too had too stop before last two turns as my temperature guage showed the needle almost nearing red mark. I however, did not shut off the engine and that helped cooling the car faster than shutting down the engine. I had taken my Indica.

Be prepared to walk a lot in Matheran and if you enjoy long walks in the forest, Matheran is the place to be in. Else, you also have options of hiring horses.

Enjoy!!