Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th October 2015, 05:16   #151

Default re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

I had gone to Kodai recently (May 2015). I had started at 5:30AM from Indiranagar; reached Salem by 7:20AM. Had breakfast at Saravana Bhavan, right after the toll gate. Left Salem by 8:15AM or so. Reached Kodai by 12:15 PM. Took Namakkal, Karur, Dindigul route. Normally, this route after Salem is blissful to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
Are you talking about taking a night halt ? I dont think it is necessary. The road till Dindigul is 4 lane and remaining section is also in good condition. So it wont be a tiring drive. Take short breaks for every 2 to 3 hrs.

If you are starting at 2 am, you can comfortably take the ORR and Hosur Road to reach Hosur in less than an hour. Moreover the Hosur-Malur road is not in good condition. Lot of potholes and craters.
zensure is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 14:22   #152
BHPian

Update on my recent Kodai trip:

Onward Journey (05/03/2016)
Route: Bangalore (BSK)-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Salem-Karur-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai
Departure: 11:30 AM
Arrival: 7:30 PM
Breaks:
1. 12:30 PM - A2B, Chinnar for a quick lunch
2. 5:00 PM - Tea break at Sri Anjaneya restaurant, about 5 kms from Batlagundu. Brand new restaurant with clean restrooms
Road conditions: Excellent 4 lane roads upto Dindigul. A wide 2 lane road from Dindigul to Kodai Ghat road. Kodai ghat road is also in pretty good condition.

Return Journey (08/03/2016)
Route: I took the same route on the way back
Departure: 9:30 AM
Arrival: 5:15 PM
Break: 1:30 PM - Lunch at Grand Estancia, Salem

Overall, an enjoyable incident free road trip.
rahulb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:11   #153
BHPian

I had recently traveled to Kodai over the weekend. Below are few updates from this stretch

- The entire stretch between Bangalore to Dindigul is bliss to drive with very less traffic except Salem. The NH passes right through the Salem city and they charge toll for the same road too
- Road from Dindigul until the Kodai ghat road is single road with intermittent bad to very bad patches.
- The ghat section is awesome to drive with many twists and turns and almost no traffic , thanks to off peak season

Tips:-
- Leave very early from Blore and cross Attibele toll before 6 AM for lesser traffic. Don't take the express way to Electronic City since there would be hardly any traffic on normal road and you will save time at toll as well
- Don't forget to take the service road when you hit Dindigul for Kodai road. Its very easy to miss the same and continue towards Madurai
- Do refuel in TN, its atleast 3 bucks cheaper per liter

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd March 2016 at 15:08. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
vin_b is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 12:15   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin_b View Post
I had recently traveled to Kodai over the weekend. Below are few updates from this stretch

- Road from Dindigul until the Kodai ghat road is single road with intermittent bad to very bad patches.

Tips:-
- Leave very early from Blore and cross Attibele toll before 6 AM for lesser traffic. Don't take the express way to Electronic City since there would be hardly any traffic on normal road and you will save time at toll as well
- Don't forget to take the service road when you hit Dindigul for Kodai road. Its very easy to miss the same and continue towards Madurai
- Do refuel in TN, its atleast 3 bucks cheaper per liter
If the road from Dindigul to Kodai is not so great, how about Salem - Perundurai - Kangayam - Dharapuram - Kodai..? Any update on this..?

If I start by 4:30am, what time I can expected to be in Kodai..? and is there any thing on the way up to see..?
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 12:26   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- The ghat section is awesome to drive with many twists and turns and almost no traffic , thanks to off peak season
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
If the road from Dindigul to Kodai is not so great, how about Salem - Perundurai - Kangayam - Dharapuram - Kodai..? Any update on this.?
I dont think its that bad that you need to change course. In general I think its very decent. May be a few places where you may need to slow down. I was on this stretch in December. I felt it was quite OK.

As for the ghat road, I would prefer Batlagundu to Palani.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 12:29   #156
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Road from Dindigul until the Kodai ghat road is single road with intermittent bad to very bad patches.
Just wondering if you actually took the "Kodai Road" route ? Yes, the one that leads to the Railway station by the same name.

In that case, you should have actually taken the Dindigul bypass-Batlagundu route which is much wider (was widened couple of years ago) and at the beginning of Batlagundu town you reach the turn off to the Kodaikanal ghat road which is again in good condition as you've mentioned. This would have been a better option for you.

Last edited by NPV : 24th March 2016 at 12:32.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 16:24   #157
BHPian

Quote:
If the road from Dindigul to Kodai is not so great, how about Salem - Perundurai - Kangayam - Dharapuram - Kodai..? Any update on this..?

If I start by 4:30am, what time I can expected to be in Kodai..? and is there any thing on the way up to see..?
Dindigul - Kodai road is not really bad to completely avoid the route. Its a single lane (each side) road without divider and one has to drive carefully and over taking will take some time. There are few rough patches here and there which can be managed. The Batlagundu - Kodai is way better than Palani side.

Stick to the usual Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai route.
vin_b is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 10:23   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont think its that bad that you need to change course. In general I think its very decent. May be a few places where you may need to slow down. I was on this stretch in December. I felt it was quite OK.

I am planning to go via Dindigul and come via Palani as I am proceeding towards Pollachi - Kozhinjampara - Palakkad - Calicut - Payannur. Do I need to go in to the Palani town..?
Old 26th March 2016, 12:45   #159
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to go via Dindigul and come via Palani as I am proceeding towards Pollachi - Kozhinjampara - Palakkad - Calicut - Payannur. Do I need to go in to the Palani town..?
No, just before you enter the town you hit the highways where you take left to Udumalapet/Coimbatore. You probably know this already but depending on the time of the day, there might be heavy traffic till around Udumalapet/Pollachi making overtaking difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I travel to Kodai frequently and I like both roads and usually choose one based on certain factors. Both roads have been recently paved and equally good in terms of quality of the surface of the road. But Palani road is narrower throughout. Where it scores higher, though, is that it offers much better view and traffic is super-light. But at times it can really test your patience - at times I end up trailing a truck for 2-3 kilometers before I can overtake.

For those whose destination is Coimbatore, Pollachi, Palakkad or thereabouts, I recommend the Palani road because
1. It is shorter
2. The road to Oddanchathiram/Dharapuram is not particularly great. Last month we ended up taking a long detour because of a work in progress bridge in Oddanchathiram.

Last edited by ampere : 28th March 2016 at 09:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2016, 21:45   #160
BHPian

How is the road to Kodaikanal from Kodai road (ascending). I plan to make a trip this coming week end. Are the roads good for self driving? Also it it possible to cover the important areas say between 10 am to 6 pm? Still thinking if I have to stay overnight or make a day trip from Madurai taking a vehicle for hire.
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 07:59   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
For those whose destination is Coimbatore, Pollachi, Palakkad or thereabouts, I recommend the Palani road because
Agreed. No point going around when coming from one side. I just mentioned about choice of Kodai road, when the option of both are available to a traveler coming from Salem side. In such a case, I will always Batlagundu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
How is the road to Kodaikanal from Kodai road (ascending). I plan to make a trip this coming week end. Are the roads good for self driving? Also it it possible to cover the important areas say between 10 am to 6 pm? Still thinking if I have to stay overnight or make a day trip from Madurai taking a vehicle for hire.
The usual places are very crowded. These days if you have to go to Kodai, its only for lazing around rather than visiting these regular places. They are so crowded that you lose the fun of driving on your own. Berijam will be even more tougher, as the queues will build up and you will be driving all the way from Madurai to make it to the queue!

On a different note: Kodai has to be experienced in winter. And surely its not for seeing the regular places but spending 2-3 days doing nothing but sipping the hot road side tea or standing next to that stove waiting for the shop to deliver your chilli "bhajiis" that are being fried and then of course taking those long walks around the lake.

Last edited by ampere : 12th April 2016 at 08:03.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 22:22   #162
BHPian

Been to Kodai last Sunday. Took the Dindigul - Batlagund road while going up. It is pretty decent with narrow sections at some places, but there is no blind turns in the ghats. While returning, since my destination was Payyanur/Kannur, I took the Palani route. This is narrower but smooth roads. There are many blind turns. In both the sectors, TN STC buses are the kings..!!
Old 20th April 2016, 14:36   #163
BHPian

Going tomorrow from Bangalore to Kodai via Dindigul Bathlagundu. Any suggested eateries after Salem before Dindigul for breakfast?
Apart from going into service road and taking the second right turn for Bathlagundu, any thing else to remember?

Is the below timing ok?
Bangalore (HSR Layout) - Salem: 2:45
Salem - Dindigul: 2:00
Dindigul - Bathlagundu: 0:30
Bathlagundu - Kodai: 1:45
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 15:02   #164
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Going tomorrow from Bangalore to Kodai via Dindigul Bathlagundu. Any suggested eateries after Salem before Dindigul for breakfast?
Estimated timing looks good, but hope you start early, say by 5am.
At Salem you can go to Aasai Dosai (aka Saravana bhavan) on right side very close to one of the signals.
Else you always have the excellent breakfast buffet options at Park Plaza and Estancia
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 15:05   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Estimated timing looks good, but hope you start early, say by 5am.
At Salem you can go to Aasai Dosai (aka Saravana bhavan) on right side very close to one of the signals.
Else you always have the excellent breakfast buffet options at Park Plaza and Estancia
Plan to start around 4 am.

That's why need suggestion of breakfast place between Salem and Dindigul - may be closer to Dindigul; as I will cross Salem early.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote