Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th April 2016, 15:27   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Plan to start around 4 am.

That's why need suggestion of breakfast place between Salem and Dindigul - may be closer to Dindigul; as I will cross Salem early.
There are couple of restaurants near the end of Karur bypass which looked OK from outside (never tried them) - don't recall their names though. After that there is a Valluvar Family restaurant about 15 to 20 kms further South. It is a good place, but comes on the right hand side of the road, so you need to take a U turn to get to it.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 22:32   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Plan to start around 4 am.

That's why need suggestion of breakfast place between Salem and Dindigul - may be closer to Dindigul; as I will cross Salem early.
4 is a good time to start. You should be in Salem by 6:30. Look at Saravana Bhavan (Aasai Dosai) for break fast in Salem. That I think would be the best option. You should be able to make it to Kodai by 12.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 20:05   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Dindigul - Bathlagundu: 0:30
Bathlagundu - Kodai: 1:45
I have been to Kodai last week and it took 3.30hrs to reach Kodai from Karur. Since this is season, there is heavy traffic and this will affect you while your are going up. So better estimate little more time in the last lap.
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:58   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I have been to Kodai last week.
Rajesh, how is the climate now?

I have a plan to visit Kodai during May 1st week, for a one night affair while coming from Kochi on my way back to BLR.

Start early at aorund 5AM from Kochi, take TSR -Vadankkencherry - Pollachi - Udumalpet - Palani - Kodai route to reach by 12Noon.

While coming back, start by 12Noon take Batlagundu - Dindigul - Karur - Namakkal - Salem - Hosur - BLR, reach by 8PM.

I have got one afternoon/evening and the next day morning till noon for sightseeing. Any suggestions on places to visit?
josebi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 15:18   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josebi View Post
Rajesh, how is the climate now?

I have a plan to visit Kodai during May 1st week, for a one night affair while coming from Kochi on my way back to BLR.

Start early at aorund 5AM from Kochi, take TSR -Vadankkencherry - Pollachi - Udumalpet - Palani - Kodai route to reach by 12Noon.

While coming back, start by 12Noon take Batlagundu - Dindigul - Karur - Namakkal - Salem - Hosur - BLR, reach by 8PM.

I have got one afternoon/evening and the next day morning till noon for sightseeing. Any suggestions on places to visit?
It was raining the day I reached there. The day time temperature was around 23C and night time dropped to 15-16C. But no need of any warm cloths for adults.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 11:01   #171
BHPian

Update from my side on my trip last week:

Onward Journey: 21-Apr-2016
Bangalore: 4:30 am
Salem (Saravana Bhavan): 7:00 am (Breakfast break till 8:00 am)
Dindigul (turn-off towrads Bathalagundu): 10:00 am
Turn-off towards Kodai after Bathalagundu: 10:30 am
Kodai (Hotel near coaker's walk): 12:00 pm

Return Journey: 24-Apr-2016
Kodai: 4:25 am
Turn towards Bathalagundu: 6:10 am
Dindigul: 6:40 am
Salem (Saravana Bhavan): 8:30 am (breakfast break till 9:35 am)
Bangalore home: 12:15 pm

Weather: Pleasant at high of around 21 and evening around 15. google showed temp going to 11-12 during 5 am. We had brief spell (15 min) of shower on Saturday afternoon.

Vehicle driven: Toyota Fortuner
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 15:32   #172
BHPian

Guys, whats the condition of the Palani Kodai road? I will driving from Coimbatore airport post 1 PM, planning to take Palladam, Dharapuram, Palani route. Whats the expected time to reach and should this route be good or any of the other ones google seems to suggest (through gudimangalam)

Thanks in Advance for your help.

Last edited by ampere : 9th May 2016 at 16:32. Reason: Fixed Typo
palitrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 16:32   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palitrana View Post
Guys, whats the condition of the Panali Kodai road? I will driving from Coimbatore airport post 1 PM, planning to take Palladam, Dharapuram, Palani route. Whats the expected time to reach and should this route be good or any of the other ones google seems to suggest (through gudimangalam)

Thanks in Advance for your help.
Budget for 5hrs,Palladam-Dharapuram-Palani-Kodai is good.Pollachi-Udumulpet-Palani is also good,but then the section between Pollachi and Coimbatore is going to see very dense traffic.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2016, 19:16   #174
BHPian

Info update from my Bangalore-Kodai trip last week, 14th to 18th May:

Road conditions of all three highways enroute i.e. bangalore to Dindigul(NH7), Dindigul to Batlagundu(Theni road), Batlagundu to Kodai(kodai ghat road), are top notch. Nothing to update about roads in entire route per se. Very inviting route for a next trip towards that side.

One thing to note is, for exit to Theni road from Dindigul, service road have to be taken well in advance, here(https://goo.gl/maps/umT41QpqcWA2). It is susceptible to miss.

Jai Anjaneya restaurant at Theni road, right next to yet non-operational toll plaza, is a good pit-stop option, fair parking with guard, separate A/C section with exclusive washroom only for this section, okay service and useful sundry shops alongside the restaurant.

At Kodai ghat road, be cautious of state transport buses at sharp curves/bend, they are in too momentum to be considerate to oncomers.

16th & 17th May had incessant rain or drizzle(to note, initial monsoon arrived in Kodai), along with wind, resulting in too cold to move out for sightseeing. On the flip side, was able to enjoy roaming around the town in car a lot, due to empty roads. 7D movie theater at one end of the lake is enjoyable option for kids.

Arunachal restaurant few meters from NH7 at Karur is a great option for lunch, quick access to & fro, huge parking with guard, chilling A/c, clean bathrooms, spacious, quick service, decent ambiance, wide menu and good food. Not charted in google map yet, it is precisely here - https://goo.gl/maps/zrWX1JSESPt (the saved current location while was there).

9 hours with couple of breaks is what one may budget for sedate speeds and accommodating adhoc kids care/bio breaks.
Throtttle is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 11:38   #175
BHPian

Had been to Kodaikanal with my family and sister's family last weekend. Initially was wondering is this the right time to visit. Weather update predicted not much rain, cloudy weather. Almost all the hotel booking websites throwing heavy discounts due to off season.

So Friday planned the trip hotel booking etc, Saturday 5.15 AM started from Bangalore. Opted regular Krishnagiri - Salem - Dindigul (took the service well in advance as suggested by many here) - Batlagundu - Dum Dum view point route and reached Kodaikanal around 1.30 PM. After Salem empty stretch of road, condition is really superb even the ghat road. Took few breaks on the way as kids were with us. Throughout journey no rain, very pleasant weather. Hard to believe this is off-season.

Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries-img_5383.jpg

Being Saturday crowd was more, not mad rush kind of atmosphere. Sunday and Monday relatively very less crowd. Didn't visit regular touristy places. Instead planned a trip to Mannavanur lake. That drive was relaxed and great experience.

Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries-img_5555.jpg

Monday morning lake road was so empty that even this majectic person took the road for a walk.

Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries-img_5761.jpg

After checkout, we took Palani road. Again empty stretch of road but more blind curves, narrow, scenic. Reached Palani around 12 noon. Experienced cable winch train ride. Visited temple, had "Annadanam" lunch. Started around 2.30 PM from Palani. Took Dindigul - Salem - Krishnagiri - Hosur route and reached Bangalore by 9 PM. After Krishnagiri it was raining heavily. Many places water logging, low light so had to cut-down the speed.

Drive was shared by me and my BIL, majority by him as he is more comfortable driving rather sitting on ghat roads.

Sharing Kodaikanal tourist map picture as well for easy reference.

Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries-img_5219.jpg

~o~
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 14:09   #176
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I am driving from Bangalore to Kodaikanal end of this month. It's been a while since I have done this drive so I've forgotten most of the route. I will be taking NH44

Bangalore --> Krishnagiri --> Salem --> Dindigul --> Kodi

The plan is to leave Bangalore by 5:00. Can you kindly help me plan fuel, rest and food stops, for BLR - Kodi - BLR journey? I am going with my Wife and Sister so am looking for neat and clean restroom breaks along with fresh and safe food (Sarvanna Bhavan, maybe near Krishnagiri or Salem);
My wife also gets severe motion sickness so any advise on the Ghat section will be most welcome.

Vehicle:

What I want to take: Laura 1.8TSI 6SP :-)

What the Wife wants: Jetta 2.0TDI DSG :-(

Last edited by imp! : 19th September 2016 at 14:12.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 08:43   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Bangalore --> Krishnagiri --> Salem --> Dindigul --> Kodi

Quote:
The plan is to leave Bangalore by 5:00. Can you kindly help me plan fuel, rest and food stops, for BLR - Kodi - BLR journey? I am going with my Wife and Sister so am looking for neat and clean restroom breaks along with fresh and safe food (Sarvanna Bhavan, maybe near Krishnagiri or Salem);
Go till Salem and break at Park Plaza if you want to. You can have a break and nice break fast spread.

Quote:
My wife also gets severe motion sickness so any advise on the Ghat section will be most welcome.
These ghats are not very difficult to climb and the roads are not very steep. Should much easier as compared to Ooty for example.

Quote:
What I want to take: Laura 1.8TSI 6SP :-)
What the Wife wants: Jetta 2.0TDI DSG :-(
Wow! What decision you need to make!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 10:12   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Go till Salem and break at Park Plaza if you want to. You can have a break and nice break fast spread.
Thank you Ampere, will check that out. Is the Salem Sarvana Bhavan near the highway at all? I really enjoy their breakfast and would like to get one in on this trip!!

Quote:
These ghats are not very difficult to climb and the roads are not very steep. Should much easier as compared to Ooty for example.
Oh okay! I remembered them being quite arduous the last time I was there. The problem is she feels unwell even when we drive to Coorg. She may have to take an Avomin, but I'd rather avoid that as she'll be groggy the entire day

Quote:
Wow! What decision you need to make!
Thank you ! Yes they are both fantastic cars. The Jetta is a very comfortable all day cruiser with adequate power that I bought pre owned after a year long hunt! The Laura is the love of my life. I hope to keep her always. I'd love to take the Laura as I enjoy its drive much much more, but in the interest of my companions creature comforts, the Jetta will win out. More is the pity though as I got the family to agree to not sell the Laura for long distance drives.
In any case She Who Must be Obeyed has dictated that she wants the automatic with bluetooth music system for the drive. If it gets her behind the wheel for highway driving practise then I'm happy to make the sacrifice.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 12:51   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you Ampere, will check that out. Is the Salem Sarvana Bhavan near the highway at all? I really enjoy their breakfast and would like to get one in on this trip!!
If thats the case there is one at Krishnagiri; a km or two after the Chennai exit. There is also a Sai Sangeeth just before Thoppur A2B. But you need to cross to the other side to get there. (But yes food at Sai Sangeeth is worth it).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 13:03   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Ampere, will check that out. Is the Salem Sarvana Bhavan near the highway at all?
This is the Krishnagiri Saravana Bhavan Ampere mentioned about. Location
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote