Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd October 2016, 16:21   #181
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

How is the situation near the Hosur-Bangalore Border? I'm hearing that the private vehicles are still not allowed because of the cauvery issue! I'm planning to travel on the coming Friday.
Mafioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 13:26   #182

Has anyone driven upto Kookal lake? Planning to do a half a day trip to Mannavanur, Kookal and Poombarai next weekend. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
VinothAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 21:17   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinothAJ View Post
Has anyone driven upto Kookal lake? Planning to do a half a day trip to Mannavanur, Kookal and Poombarai next weekend. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Had been to Mannavanur lake last week and on the way paid a visit to Poombarai as well. The roads are mostly good. The park/lake at Mannavanur opens at 9:30 (though they might let you in any time after 9). Entrance fee is nominal and they charge a fee for camera as well. When we went, there wasn't much water in the lake, though. But throughout the drive and in the park/lake found lot of interesting birds (and a giant squirrel). No idea about Kookkal (lake) though.
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 10:34   #184
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore-Kodaikanal Route Map

Does anyone have most latest route updates?

If I am leaving from Bangalore around 4pm, Can i make it to a hotel near Kodai Lake by mid-night? Any route issues/ caution? Any Forest gateposts that stay closed or so? Google maps shows that the last 30 Kms or so are twisty roads and kind of goes through super green cover. Is that a forest area restricted for vehicular movement after 10pm or so?

Sorry for lame questions - I have not been on these roads beyond Dindigul ever. So not sure what caution/ preps I need to plan this route. Bangalore- Dindigul is standard 4 lane highway but beyond that is a doubt. Also not sure about route via Palani if that is preferred?

Appreciate your help. TIA.
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 10:39   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Does anyone have most latest route updates?
I wont advise an evening start. Getting out of the city and going past Salem would be quite a nightmare.

Usually a 4AM start would lead you to Kodai by 12. But the same I cant say with a 4PM start.

Edit: You need to be careful to note where the exit for Theni/Kodai is when you reach Dindigul. Many get confused here.

Last edited by ampere : 11th November 2016 at 10:42.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 10:49   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I wont advise an evening start. Getting out of the city and going past Salem would be quite a nightmare.
Understood. But unfortunately if I have to make two night stay in Kodaikanal, I was thinking to start after school on Friday evening. The idea is even if i reach hotel late, Full Saturday can be used for local sightseeing/ relaxed stay. On Sunday late morning I can return to Bangalore.

If it was morning and not for reducing the time to travel, i would have taken even more scenic routes
Old 11th November 2016, 14:47   #187
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for lame questions - I have not been on these roads beyond Dindigul ever. So not sure what caution/ preps I need to plan this route. Bangalore- Dindigul is standard 4 lane highway but beyond that is a doubt. Also not sure about route via Palani if that is preferred?
Just take the regular route - NH 7 all the way past Salem towards Namakkal, Karur and upto Dindigul. Spot the exit correctly, it is about a Kilometer after the toll plaza where you need to get to the service road. Note that once on the service road, you have one right turn off that goes to Palani and another right turn off that goes to Batlagundu, take the Batlagundu one.

Near Batlagundu, the town bypass was almost ready few months ago, so if the road is open you can take that and then the ghat section starts. If the bypass isn't open, at the end of the Batlagundu town you will see the right turn off towards the ghat road for Kodai.

The Batlgundu road from Dindigul was widended couple years ago and should be fine.

Last edited by NPV : 11th November 2016 at 14:49.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 15:05   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
you will see the right turn off towards the ghat road for Kodai.
Thanks a ton NPV.

Is Kodai ghat road safe for night drive from family safety perspective? Is it super lonely? Densely vegetated?
Old 11th November 2016, 16:24   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Near Batlagundu, the town bypass was almost ready few months ago, so if the road is open you can take that and then the ghat section starts. If the bypass isn't open, at the end of the Batlagundu town you will see the right turn off towards the ghat road for Kodai.

The Batlgundu road from Dindigul was widended couple years ago and should be fine.
The bypass in this route is not open yet. So you need to cross Batlagundu/Vathalagundu and take the right turn to reach the ghat road.

Yes. The road from Dindigul to Batlagundu is now widened and a better one than the Dindigul Palani road.

Quote:
Thanks a ton NPV.

Is Kodai ghat road safe for night drive from family safety perspective? Is it super lonely? Densely vegetated?
Ghat road from Batlagundu to Kodai night drive is safe and not super lonely. But you will have truck traffic carrying vegetables from Kodai to Dindigul. These guys use this road everyday and they drive crazy.

You will enjoy the ghat road if u travel in day light.
vijayvelprakash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 16:48   #190
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think it's quite safe, a friend traveled recently starting late evening from Bangalore and had no issues.
It's quite a long ghat section and pretty wide road with gradual inclines.

Last edited by NPV : 11th November 2016 at 16:50.
Old 11th November 2016, 16:51   #191
Senior - BHPian

Awesome! Thanks @Vijayvelprakash and @NPV for the detailed info. I am traveling to Kodaikanal last weekend of this month. I will be sure to report back here about changes if any.

On my return I plan to take route via Palani/ Bhavani. It would be day time anyway and fun of taking different routes!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 17:01   #192
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On my return I plan to take route via Palani/ Bhavani. It would be day time anyway and fun of taking different routes!
Salem can be painful due to the flyover construction work so you can even consider Karur-Thiruchengode-Sankari-Edappady bypass-Tharamangalam-omalur to escape Salem traffic.
Or even Palani-Udumalaipet-Palladam-Mangalam-Avinashi bypass-Bhavani-Mettur-Mecheri-Thoppur, roads are good.

Last edited by Zappo : 11th November 2016 at 18:13.
Old 28th November 2016, 10:28   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am traveling to Kodaikanal last weekend of this month. I will be sure to report back here about changes if any.
The update is, roads were exactly as described here by everyone. Palani route was scenic that I enjoyed at day time, so loved it. More detailed trip-log is here.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 18:21   #194
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

Hey Guys, Planning a trip to kodai from 18th Feb to 20th Feb. Planning to leave Bangalore by 6:00 AM. A few questions where your inputs will be helpful -

1. What are some good places to eat on the way?
2. Any resorts you would recommend?
3. Is this a good time to go, I like visiting places during non-season time...

Thanks,
Satish
Satishtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 19:12   #195
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
1. What are some good places to eat on the way?
2. Any resorts you would recommend?
3. Is this a good time to go, I like visiting places during non-season time...
Try to start around 4 or 5am so that you can reach Kodaikanal by lunch time.
You can stop at Sai Sangeet approximately 150km from Bangalore, just before Thoppur toll on right side inside an Indian oil bunk campus that also has a coffee day outlet.
If you're not hungry or reach there too early, you can stop at Saravana bhavan aka Aasai Dosai at Salem. You can even consider splurging a bit at Radisson Blu or Grand estancia in Salem, both excellent.
After this, not too many options on left side till Namakkal.

I think weather will be just fine right now.
Look up for resorts, several options in various price ranges.

Route: take the exit near Dindigul towards Batlagundu (note that the same exit is shared for the Palani road as well, so take the correct right turn from service road below the flyover).
You can consider the Palani route for return just to experience a different route till Dindigul or take same route back. Or even Palani-Udumalaipet-Mangalam-Avinashi bypass (NH 47/544)-Salem-Bangalore.

Last edited by NPV : 12th February 2017 at 19:20.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote