Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd February 2014, 12:29   #121
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you went via Pollachi/Udumalpet/Palani its a NH 209 (Kanakpura Road!)
Phenomenal insight. Thank you Amp! I had to comment as using the Thanks button is just not enough in this case.
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 13:56   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Phenomenal insight. Thank you Amp! I had to comment as using the Thanks button is just not enough in this case.
Thanks bsdbsd. Thats no insight. Just my love to stare at maps and thanks to Google for giving us a beautiful set !

PS : OT Do you have a passion for Unix Kernels?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:02   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks bsdbsd. Thats no insight. Just my love to stare at maps and thanks to Google for giving us a beautiful set !

PS : OT Do you have a passion for Unix Kernels?
I love to stare at maps too. But NH 209 going till Pollachi is a great find. I live near Kanakapura road, and imagining this road leading all the way to Pollachi is bewildering. That's the kicker. This road seems to disappear after reaching Pollachi/Dindigul(?). I am not sure on what basis these roads are getting designated.

I am planning to drive down to Kochi during April, and you and Ranjit both suggested going via Pollachi and I was floored about NH 209's winding ways.

Yes, I do have a passion for Unix kernels, but my name also corresponds to those initials. Once again, a good "insight" from your side.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 3rd February 2014 at 16:18.
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2014, 15:25   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
I love to stare at maps too. But NH 209 going till Pollachi is a great find. I live near Kanakapura road, and imagining this road leading all the way to Pollachi is bewildering. That's the kicker. This road seems to disappear after reaching Pollachi/Dindigul(?). I am not sure on what basis these roads are getting designated.
This highway is from Bangalore to Dindugal. You need to be beware of the dhimbam ghat section for its heavy vehicle accidents and traffic jams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...09_%28India%29

Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 14:24   #125
BHPian

I did Blr-Salem-Dindigul-Kodai Rd-Kodaikanal this weekend. Overall the road is pretty good - only some bad stretches on the ghat section. It took me 7.5 hours while going and 9 hours while coming. Krishnagiri toll booth had a big jam - took me 35 min to cross.
ethanhunt123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 20:22   #126
BHPian

14/02/2014
My umpteenth trip to Kodai from BLR
Start 3:45 pm shoolay circle, rihmond road
4:45 hosur ashok leyland phase 2 shift break and lousy traffic jam
5:00 pm Shoolagir HP petrol pump, ma donalds for kids, breaking my head for 20 mins trying to get the internet to work only to find I havent recharged the prepaid card
Bumping into my uncle and another 10 mins with him, he persuading me to stay at Dindugal for the night at his house.
5:20 pm chinnar A2B buying sweets for relatives
9:30 pm: Apoorva hotel 10km from karur on the highway. They have redone the lawn and amde a great outdoor hotel with a 20' projection screen TV. Nice place to spend some time if you travel during night. Day times, the area will burn you down with the heat. After getting the bill Spent 15 mins explaining to the manager why guests shouldnt be under invoiced as I am also in the hospitality business. They missed out a few items in bill and even then it was cheap compared to Bangalore food. taste was good but portions small.
10:30 dindugal to batlagundu excellent road, full of reflectors and decent drivers following lane discipline.
11:00 pm Coffee at a roadside stall after Batlagundu.
Very light traffic on the hills. Some broken roads, the road widening work is almost over.
01:00 am Reached my place.
Next day had a huge dinner for 8 enough to feed 15 at tibetian brothers. Their cook is back and taste is back to normal like old times. Again the lady taking order here got flustered with the amount of food we ordered ended up over billing us as she wasnt used to such huge orders. Gave her some training on using the calculator.
17/2/14 - Back to BLR
Incidence / traffic free. Again got stuck at ashok leyland phase 2 at 0430 pm
Avoid that time at Hosur guys.
Thanks and regards
Old 30th April 2014, 13:34   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
14/02/2014
10:30 dindugal to batlagundu excellent road, full of reflectors and decent drivers following lane discipline.
Balan, Are the road works between Didigul and Batlagundu complete.
daisyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2014, 14:01   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
Balan, Are the road works between Didigul and Batlagundu complete.
Yes. Except for one bridge inside a village and the batlagundu bypasss, the road is fully ready and in a couple of months, they will start collecting toll.
But with good roads come idiots who drive in the right side of the road. They forget in India, when you are on the right side of the road, you are on the wrong side of the law
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:44   #129
BHPian

How will be the crowds & traffic in Kodai & Munnar in the period Jun 7-14 ? Plan to tour during that time. Will Bangalore & TN, Kerala school vacations end by that time ?
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 20:55   #130
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
How will be the crowds & traffic in Kodai & Munnar in the period Jun 7-14 ? Plan to tour during that time. Will Bangalore & TN, Kerala school vacations end by that time ?
Most schools open in the first week of June but there may be rain at these places at that time and it's almost end of the regular tourist season (Jun 15).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 08:56   #131
BHPian

Headed for Kodai tomorrow. Plan to start by 4.30 am from JP nagar. Google maps suggests Krishnagiri-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai. Is that the best bet? What are the road conditions, especially after Dindigul, once we leave AH - 43?

If I leave JP Nagar by 4.30, I should be in Salem by 7- 7:15. A bit too early for breakfast. Any good breakfast options after Salem?
MorePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 09:04   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
Headed for Kodai tomorrow. Plan to start by 4.30 am from JP nagar. Google maps suggests Krishnagiri-Salem-Dindigul-Batlagundu-Kodai. Is that the best bet? What are the road conditions, especially after Dindigul, once we leave AH - 43?
Very good wide road till Batlagundu. This section (Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni) has be nicely widened.

Quote:
If I leave JP Nagar by 4.30, I should be in Salem by 7- 7:15. A bit too early for breakfast. Any good breakfast options after Salem?
Not many. You have Park Plaza and GRT right at Salem entry. Would have opened with fresh steaming breakfast!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 10:46   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Very good wide road till Batlagundu. This section (Dindigul-Batlagundu-Theni) has be nicely widened.
Thanks Amp. Prompt as always

How's the route via Kodai road railway station on AH 43? One of my colleagues was suggesting going beyond Dindigul on AH 43 uptill Kodai railway station and then turning in for Baltagundu?

Apparently quicker than the Grand Trunk road.
MorePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 11:51   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
Thanks Amp. Prompt as always

How's the route via Kodai road railway station on AH 43? One of my colleagues was suggesting going beyond Dindigul on AH 43 uptill Kodai railway station and then turning in for Baltagundu?
You dont need that diversion any more. That was the option, when the old NH45 (Dindigul-Theni) was getting widened. Now its a beautiful wide 2-lane road! You can get into this road through the Dindigul bypass.

Last edited by ampere : 24th June 2014 at 11:53.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2014, 14:48   #135
BHPian

I am planning to drive Bangalore to Kodaikanal next month end (July 2014). Want to plan way ahead since i will be carrying my pet dog labrador along with me. Hence wanted to know any good pet friendly VFM hotel/resort in Kodaikanal? Even if the option is in the outskirts of Kodai i dont mind if it is a good place.

Guys please help
lazybrain is offline   Reply With Quote