Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th September 2008, 09:46   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default Best wildlife resorts/lodges to visit around Bangalore.

After the recent Munnar trip, this time I have decided to visit a Jungle lodge or a resort. Quickly, I thought of K.Gudi and Kabini. Any other suggestions from BHPians? What would be the ideal place to visit? The trip will be for 3-4 days. Distance should be around 700-800 kms 1 way. Any info on the road conditions, resorts etc would be of great help. Planning to do this trip during the 2nd or 3rd week of Oct 2008. Need your help.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 09:49   #2
BHPian

How about Chikmanglur ? seems to fit your bill..
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 09:58   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
How about Chikmanglur ? seems to fit your bill..
Joe, which place do you suggest in Chickmanglur? I am open to any place. As long as I get to see some nice wildlife, place should be scenic to photograph, good roads, good food.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Joe, which place do you suggest in Chickmanglur?
My advice would be to choose soome good resort and then explore the place.If you plan to do your trip before Sep 30,(seems unlikely for you , still) then there is an offer going on with Taj (monsoon offer) where in you will get 3 N stay in Taj Chikmanglur for around 13K for 2 pax. Seems like a good option but catch is it might expire on Sep 30.
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 10:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rahul! 700 - 800 kms!! That wont be "around" Bangalore anymore! :-)
anyway, am sure you know about
Jungle Lodges & Resorts Eco Holidays

See if any of their locations suit you.

Or you can visit the backwaters of Kerala in that distance. Check with the weatherman first though.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 10:26   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Rahul! 700 - 800 kms!! That wont be "around" Bangalore anymore! :-)
Hehe. Ya, amitoj. The thing is, you know how much a few of us love driving. Initially, the plans were to go to Goa. Then decided against it.

I had the exact same location in mind. Also this from Samurai's travelogue (A weekend on the top of a tree).
Old 24th September 2008, 10:43   #7
BHPian

Check this out. Kalakkad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

This is down south , Tirunelveli.
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 10:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for an experiece of seeing wildlife you need to keep a certain factors in mind.

1. There are certain seasonal destinations which you need to plan well in advance for acco - JLR in Kabini during summer until June is booked well in advance because this is the elephant migration season during which you have elephants migrating to the Kabini backwaters from places nearby and farther as well, to enjoy the lush grass which grows as the water recedes and also the presence of a large water body.

2. There are destinations like Bandipur / Mudumalai which are visited almost right through the year but still have the high seasons in terms of sightings - Bandipur traditionally has been good in terms of sighting just after monsoons. The JLR in Bandipur during weekends are booked well in advance again, I would suggest you confirm your bookings very early.

3. You also have the Department of Forests guesthouses in most of the places which in my opinion are the best places to stay, I have stayed in Abhayaranyam & Sylvan Log Hut in Mudumalai both of them were fabulous properties right in the middle of the jungle. These are agains one which you have to book early especially during seasons & weekends. But both my stays were done by just walking into the reception centre in mudumalai, had cancellations on both times which helped me.

I would suggest you look at JLR - Bandipur for the time frame you are talking about. Alternativley if you have contacts with Government book an acco with the Karnataka Forest Department, which have a few very good guest houses in Bandipur, use the Gypsy safari which used to cost about 2000 bucks a few months back, you would possibily have the experience of your lifetime.

But do keep in mind that the wildlife sighting in the Southern forests are always a matter of chance and you might end up seeing nothing despite all your plans hence my request to you is to go with an open mind and enjoy the sights of lush green jungle and any wildlife sighting is a bonus. In more than 50 safari trips which I have taken in Bandipur & Mudumalai I have seen the tiger only once. All the Best and enjoy the experience.

Do PM me incase you want a detailed plan I will send you my number, over phone we can discuss the plans.

Cheers.

Srikanth
PS: Uff this has become too long now
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 10:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rahul,

Best places in order according to me:

1. Nagarhole/Waynaad, stay around Kutta, any homestay, good roads via Mysore - hunsur.

2. Kabini Jungle resort: difficult to find accomodation i feel since its season, I feel K Gudi should be good one too.

3. Silent Valley near Kalasa/Horanaadu: good place with swimming pool.

4. Jungle Resort Near Lakkavalli/Badra dam: good place with safari/boat ride.

5. Around Coorg: some homestay near Kakkabbe should be good one too but not sure about wild life since rainy season is just over you will love the greenary.

I can think of this in Karnataka.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 10:51   #10
BHPian

Mclaren: Please visit the Bhadra Jungle Lodges and resorts i.e Muthodi forest range near Shimogha, I was there last time and it was great! Beautiful Huts on the river bed with a horizon view above the river and mountains and nice for wildlife and safari as well.You have the usual JLR food which is pretty good and have a nice itenary as well. I had been there with my friends on a biking trip and the River Tern Bhadra lodge is an awesome getaway

Some pics from the room and safari

Best wildlife resorts/lodges to visit around Bangalore.-img_1147.jpg

Best wildlife resorts/lodges to visit around Bangalore.-img_1272.jpg

Best wildlife resorts/lodges to visit around Bangalore.-img_1310.jpg

Best wildlife resorts/lodges to visit around Bangalore.-img_1354.jpg

Some of the season birds , riverterns and pratincoles

Best wildlife resorts/lodges to visit around Bangalore.-rt.jpg

Best wildlife resorts/lodges to visit around Bangalore.-pt.jpg

The rooms overlooking the river

Best wildlife resorts/lodges to visit around Bangalore.-img_1555.jpg

Mclaren, Do give me a call if you want to know more about this place & how to book.

Last edited by redrage : 24th September 2008 at 11:06.
redrage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 10:54   #11
BANNED

Srikanth, thanks a ton. That was quite useful info. Actually, when it comes to spotting wild life I have been very lucky. So keeping my fingers crossed. Yes, you are right that one might get disappointed if you don't bump into wildlife.

Ravi, thanks a ton for the info. Budget is not an issue. The place has to be good for a family outing. Good food is a must.

Guys, thanks a ton for the immediate responses. My number's are 9900665757 and 9739961019. Pls SMS me your numbers with your tbhp handle's. I'll get back to you at the earliest. Also it will help me invite you guys to other tbhp meets that happen regularly. Thanks a ton in advance.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 24th September 2008 at 10:56.