Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread

Old 27th October 2008, 02:45   #46
BHPian

There are a few locations that I have noted where the cops prefer to lay low waiting for prey in the Attingal-Trivandrum stretch of NH 47.
  1. Right after Poovanpara bridge (the bride immediately after Alamcode, a small township close to Attingal) while going to TVM.
  2. Under the shade of the tree after Korani, where there is a big curve on the road, right where the yellow line starts.
  3. In front of Kumaran Asan Memorial in Thonnakal, again where there is a 1/2 Km yellow line.
  4. At the curve after the CRPF center in Pallipuram, well hidden by bushes and trees.
  5. After the university bus stop at Karyavattom.
I guess the versa with all the gizmos belongs to the Transport department, named "Interceptor." They also have some white qualises, named "Speed Tracers." The police Highway Patrols use white Taveras.

Having said, that all of the above mentioned places are high risk, high accident prone areas with countless casualties. I dont mind them catching reckless drivers and maniacs; but when they start fleecing you to meet their "target," it is a different thing altogether. My friend was once caught, and fined for not wearing a seatbelt (which he was wearing anyway). When he started arguing, they simply tore up the ticket and wrote him a new one for having small sized numbers on the licence plate; for exactly twice the amount they had fined him first. Another friend was caught, fined 100 bucks for some trivia. The policeman apologized after writing the ticket, saying, "sorry brother, but I have to meet my target."

So drive safe and try not getting caught even if you are on the right side of law.
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2008, 07:16   #47
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Kanjikode near palghat

On my way back from CBE, around 9 kms from the left turn towards cochin.
Spotted Cop with handheld video/radar camera. at roughly 3PM on sunday afternoon.
I escaped because I was stuck between lorries and unable to drive at my usual speed.

I was doing around 80kmph instead of the customary 120. They let it slide, even though the speed limit is 70kmph. Wonder why?
Old 29th December 2008, 14:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ripper,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I was doing around 80kmph instead of the customary 120. They let it slide, even though the speed limit is 70kmph. Wonder why?
Your speedometer showeds 80, maybe their reading was less!
Old 30th December 2008, 16:33   #49

Last month, returning to Trivandrum from Ernakulam, saw 2 Innovas, a Scorpio a Honda City and a Merc stopped on the north bound track near Thuravoor. This was just minutes after a HeroHonda Passion flew 8 feet in the air across the median and then across my track after being hit by a speeding Baleno. Being an M800 driving guy who seldom goes above 70 kmph, I need to worry only about the yellow lines, which I seldom passes by without crossing.
Old 30th December 2008, 18:30   #50
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Ripper,

Your speedometer showeds 80, maybe their reading was less!
Either its a speedo error of 10kmph at 70kmph
or the radar gun is not very good.
Third option- maybe i was driving under the speed limit.

@globetrotter
Thuravoor is a confirmed location, they are there almost every afternoon/late morning. have not seen them in the evenings, but I still slow down when I pass that site.
Old 7th May 2013, 19:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

Default static speed guns

Hell lot of static speed guns installed and in working condition as of now.

The Trivandrum - kollam - Aleppy - EKM- Thrissur route is well equipped with hell lot of radars with flashers and the entire system is working now especially for the brand new vehicles (recentely registered).

Day time rides dont have much to worry as the traffic saves you on almost all the critical cameras like the ones in kollam city,and EKm city.

But for nightriders have to be more cautious as the traffic is not there to save you from speeds.

FYI , If the speed limit written as 70 , the camera will only flash after 80. i guess there is a buffer of 10 KM/Hr.

I have seen Volvos getting flashed by the speed guns.

there are many number of twin cameras getting installed now eg :- near toyota showroom attikuzhi kahakoottom and near CRPF camp and few more which i dont know the names
Old 8th May 2013, 08:41   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Speed Camera/Radar Gun Locations in kerala

Lot of cameras installed along NH-47 between Edappally and Thrissur. Drove to Blore last week at 4am but didnt see these flashing.
Old 8th May 2013, 09:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

i used to drive from Trivandrum to Thrissur and back to TVM atleast twice in a month for past 3 years.

Almost all the cameras seems to be working except for those new builds.

I got flased twice while tailgating at Vytila signal not for red light run but for the speed

Then in Kollam city , for speed again.

Since i drive mostly in dark to avoid traffic its very difficult for me to trace the place names where the static speed guns are mounted on those shiny posts.

The saftey corridor in between Kollam and Trivandrum is getting more cams it seems.

The koratty junction @ Thrissur have 2 cams the LIDAR type with flashers and the 360 degree cam
Old 8th May 2013, 10:36   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Lot of cameras installed along NH-47 between Edappally and Thrissur. Drove to Blore last week at 4am but didnt see these flashing.
I also drove on May 5th but could not notice any between Kalamassery and Angamali. Noticed lot of them (I think they are speed cameras) between Angamally and Mannuthy. Most of them were placed at junctions and most of them were preceded by the speed limit sign. I did not notice them flashing. Any idea how they work?
Old 8th May 2013, 16:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I also drove on May 5th but could not notice any between Kalamassery and Angamali. Noticed lot of them (I think they are speed cameras) between Angamally and Mannuthy. Most of them were placed at junctions and most of them were preceded by the speed limit sign. I did not notice them flashing. Any idea how they work?
There's 2 kinds of speed cameras which is commonly used to dectect the overspeereds and red light violators

RADAR type
This is the most commonly used one. It sends out radio waves at oncoming traffic and calculates the speed based on how quickly it bounces back to the radar gun. in traffic, it will take readings off the fastest car in a particular group of cars.
Its not very accurate, and frequently picks out the wrong vehicle

LIDAR type
Uses Laser, by sending out a highly focussed beam at a specific point on the car. It could be the bonnet/headlight/windshield, depending on where the cop points it. Its almost impossible to detect and respond to this kind of speed gun fast enough to avoid a speeding ticket.

The new installations and few of the old one except the 360 degree ones are LIDAR.

You need to understand the difference between lidar and radar if you want to know how to beat a lidar speeding ticket. Lidar stands for light detection and ranging. Radar stands for radio detection and ranging. Lidar measures the vehicle's speed by calculating the changing time it takes to catch sight of reflecting pulses of light over a certain time period. Radar measures the speed by calculating the Doppler shift.

The effectives of the lidar gun is determined by factors such as whether there is a licence plate mounted at the front of the vehicle; surface area of the lights on the car; the amount of chrome areas on the vehicle; shape of the vehicle; and the colour of the vehicle. These points are important because it can help you to know how to beat a lidar speeding ticket.

It is difficult to detect the use of lidar speed equipment in advance, as it is a highly focused laser beam that leaves very little scatter. Your vehicle can't be mistaken for another vehicle. It can also be used over a large distance, which makes it even more difficult to spot. That is why you need to know how to beat a lidar speeding ticket.

There are other ways in how to beat a lidar speeding ticket such as the use of special paints and laser jammers, but they are not legal on all the states. Focus on preventative measures such as being alert. Check the rear view mirrors every eight to ten seconds. Watch the side of the car and keep enough open space around the vehicle to easily spot a interceptor vehicle/static speed gun

Can we alteast make a list of the static LIDARS with flashers ? what ya say ?
foby.sebastian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 17:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
LIDAR type
Uses Laser, by sending out a highly focussed beam at a specific point on the car. It could be the bonnet/headlight/windshield, depending on where the cop points it.

The new installations and few of the old one except the 360 degree ones are LIDAR.

Can we alteast make a list of the static LIDARS with flashers ? what ya say ?
If it is a static LIDAR, how does it point accurately at one car? The ones that I noticed on NH 47 looked similar to camera flashes. What is the range of these speed detectors (distance? ). Is is enough to slow down as soon as you notice them?
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 19:59   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
If it is a static LIDAR, how does it point accurately at one car? The ones that I noticed on NH 47 looked similar to camera flashes. What is the range of these speed detectors (distance? ). Is is enough to slow down as soon as you notice them?
The ones found on the NH-47 are activated when the car passes over the sensor embedded on the road surface. These are similar to the ones found at vytilla junction. Here they take two snaps of the car in question (but this is for red light violation). The ones along Edappally-Angamaly is the same since I saw the sensors embedded on the road surface. Didnt notice any camera flashes though.
Yes, slowing down should do the trick since the cameras are pointed on the road for them to click as soon as the car moves over the sensor.
naveen.raju is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 22:39   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ones found on the NH-47 are activated when the car passes over the sensor embedded on the road surface. These are similar to the ones found at vytilla junction. Here they take two snaps of the car in question (but this is for red light violation). The ones along Edappally-Angamaly is the same since I saw the sensors embedded on the road surface. Didnt notice any camera flashes though.
Yes, slowing down should do the trick since the cameras are pointed on the road for them to click as soon as the car moves over the sensor.
I remember reading in news papers that the average time calculation between 2 speed guns will be done with the help of the sensors on road, is that functional across NH 47 now?
Old 8th May 2013, 23:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:
None of them work. However, it seems the sensors were recently installed and I won't be surprised if they start working all of a sudden. But, this stretch is generally covered by Interceptors during the day.
Old 9th May 2013, 08:28   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakenguy View Post
None of them work. However, it seems the sensors were recently installed and I won't be surprised if they start working all of a sudden. But, this stretch is generally covered by Interceptors during the day.
True. Seen them couple of times just after the 4 lane starts after Mannuthy. Dont see them early morning though.
Closed Thread