Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th September 2008, 12:27   #1
BHPian

Question Noida - Chaukori route inquiry

Hey fellow BHPians!

I am taking a trip to Chaukori in the first week of Oct, and would appreciate any inputs about the route to take and the current road conditions of the same. The route that I presently have in mind is:

Hapur - Gajrola - Moradabad - Rampur - Haldwani - Kathgodam - Nainital - Bhowali - Kainchi - Almora - Bageshwar - Chaukori

Furthermore, if someone has been there, any feedback about Chaukori is also welcome and appreciated. I have booked accommodation in the KMVN tourist bungalow.

Thanks in advance!
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 13:46   #2
Team-BHP Support

I have travelled till Almora.
I suggest you take this route
Moradabad - Ramnagar(or Bazpur if that bridge is up) - Kaladhunghi - Nainital - Almora.
Nainital-Almora is 1.5-2 hours only
Moradabad bypass - Nanital is 2 hours by bazpur route, and 2.5 via ramnagar, with excellend roads.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 14:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Furthermore, if someone has been there, any feedback about Chaukori is also welcome and appreciated. I have booked accommodation in the KMVN tourist bungalow.
The route suggested by Tanveer is good. Preferable to your earlier plan. It is more scenic and the roads are better. Time taken will remain the same; distance I think will be a wee bit more.

Chaukori is beautiful, if secluded. There is hardly anything else there other than the KMVN hotel. Have you booked the cottages or a room in the main block? Either way, you will love it!
But there is no town nearby! It's like you are in consonance with nature.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 14:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

On the Noida-Moradabad stretch, the 50-odd km stretch between Hapur & Gajraula is in terrible shape. Be careful & unless you're a regular do not even think about doing that stretch at night.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 14:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have travelled till Almora.
I suggest you take this route
Moradabad - Ramnagar(or Bazpur if that bridge is up) - Kaladhunghi - Nainital - Almora.
Nainital-Almora is 1.5-2 hours only
Moradabad bypass - Nanital is 2 hours by bazpur route, and 2.5 via ramnagar, with excellend roads.
Hey that definitely sounds like a way better option, thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Chaukori is beautiful, if secluded. There is hardly anything else there other than the KMVN hotel. Have you booked the cottages or a room in the main block? Either way, you will love it!
But there is no town nearby! It's like you are in consonance with nature.
Unfortunately all the cottages were booked by the time I tried to get the accommodation. Rather I was lucky to get a room for the time I will stay in Chaukori! It's the seclusion part that really gets me going for a place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
On the Noida-Moradabad stretch, the 50-odd km stretch between Hapur & Gajraula is in terrible shape. Be careful & unless you're a regular do not even think about doing that stretch at night.
I would never even dream about doing an stretch in UP in the night man! Have heard so many things about vehicles moving on the road without any kinda lights and of course, the safety issues are always there.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:43   #6
Team-BHP Support

another thing, check full moon dates. If you are travelling on the day of full moon, add 4-5 extra hours for Delhi-Moradabad. Hordes of devotees descend on the ganga every full moon.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 14:54   #7
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
another thing, check full moon dates.
Wow man, I would have never thought about that! I think I am gonna be safe as the next full moon's gonna come on 14th Oct and I am leaving on 2nd.
Old 11th November 2009, 01:05   #8
abk
BHPian

LoG, have u already been there? If not, please check my photologue: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mmer-09-a.html (Chaukori - Pangot - Jim Corbett National Park trip in summer 09)
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 13:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Wow man, I would have never thought about that! I think I am gonna be safe as the next full moon's gonna come on 14th Oct and I am leaving on 2nd.
I think tsk is alluding to devotees congregating at the ghats of the Ganga at Garhmukteshwar. I had travelled through Nainital-Kathgodam-Haldwani-Kaladhungi-Bazpur-Darhiyal-Moradabad on my way back to Delhi, once. It was a terrific experience, especially the run from Haldwani to Kaladhungi through lightly forested areas in the plains.

I never had an opportunity to travel on that route because the next times that I was there ( May 2008, July 2008) I travelled through Rudrapur from Rampur (to pay UP toll tax for the yellow plated taxi) and also came to know that some bridge had collapsed during the monsoon.

Would prefer the Dadhiyal - Bazpur - Kaladhungi stretch anyday, if its up. Sparse traffic, good roads, forests.
What more can a motorhead ask for?

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 13:09   #10
BHPian

Hi,

I will be driving to Chaukori - Munsiyari on 19th-22nd June. The tentative plan is -

19th June - Drive from Ghaziabad-Moradabad bypass-Bazpur-Nainital-Almora-Chaukori (Is it doable? If I leave Ghaziabad by 4:00 AM, by when will I reach Chaukori? I will have two kids with me - 6 years and 1 year old - both are used to traveling in hills - will it be a problem for them?

20th June - Drive from Chaukori-Munsiyari (Plan to leave by 10:00 AM. By when can I expect to reach Munsiyari?)

21st June - Munsiyari-Pithoragarh-Lohaghat (Wifey have stayed in Lohaghat for three years and wants to visit it)

22nd June - Lohaghat-Tanakpur-Baheri-Udhamsingh Nagar-Rampur-Moradabad-Ghaziabad

I tried to search on net, but got conflicting results about distances, preferred routes etc. Please tell me whether the plan is doable? Or if not, suggest alternatives.

Thanks

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 18:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

I will be driving to Chaukori - Munsiyari on 19th-22nd June. The tentative plan is -

19th June - Drive from Ghaziabad-Moradabad bypass-Bazpur-Nainital-Almora-Chaukori (Is it doable? If I leave Ghaziabad by 4:00 AM, by when will I reach Chaukori? I will have two kids with me - 6 years and 1 year old - both are used to traveling in hills - will it be a problem for them?

20th June - Drive from Chaukori-Munsiyari (Plan to leave by 10:00 AM. By when can I expect to reach Munsiyari?)

21st June - Munsiyari-Pithoragarh-Lohaghat (Wifey have stayed in Lohaghat for three years and wants to visit it)

22nd June - Lohaghat-Tanakpur-Baheri-Udhamsingh Nagar-Rampur-Moradabad-Ghaziabad

I tried to search on net, but got conflicting results about distances, preferred routes etc. Please tell me whether the plan is doable? Or if not, suggest alternatives.

Thanks

Nitin
Hey Nitin, the plan is very much doable but it'll definitely be taxing on the travelers. Those are real long drives in the hills per day of your trip. You'd reach your destinations, but I believe you won't get enough time to enjoy them. From my experience, I'd suggest that either you increase the number of days, or just keep Chaukori & Lohaghat as the destinations.

GZB - Chaukori can be done comfortably in 13-15 hours including food breaks. I'd reached Chaukori from Noida in less than 14 hours with a stop of over 1.5 hours at Nainital and around 30 minutes at Almora. Can't comment about traveling with kids though.

Chaukori - Munsiyari should be 5-6 hours.

Wish you a great trip man.

Cheers!
LoG
Old 4th June 2010, 15:26   #12
BHPian

Another confusion: what are the best/shortest routes from Almora to Chaukori, Chaukori to Munsiyari and Almora to Munsiyari? I tried to find on net, but every other mao throws a new option :-(

Nitin
Old 18th June 2010, 12:37   #13
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I will be leaving tomorrow and have finalized on the following route -

Ghaziabad - Moradabad bypass - Bazpur doraha - Kaladhungi - Nainittal - Bhowali - Almora - Bageshwar - Chaukori - Munsiyari.

I will be leaving from home at 4:00 AM and plan to reach Nainital by 8:00 (258 KMs) and Almora by 10:00 (61 KM). Will take a break there for brunch, and leave by 11:00 AM and reach Chaukori by 3:00 PM (110 KMs).

Please tell me whether this plan is feasible/practical?

Cheers

Nitin
Old 18th June 2010, 21:45   #14
BANNED

Nitin, it would take around 14-15 hours to reach chaukori itself, you should be reaching nainital by 10am at the earliest, then further Almora, etc. Munsiyari is another 4-5 hours journey from chaukori. (I've studied from St.Joseph's Naintal and my mom belongs to Pithoragarh hence, I've travelled this route numerous times from childhood)
ridinthru' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 22:09   #15
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Noida - Chaukori route inquiry

Hi. I'm planning a trip to Chaukori-Munsiyari this weekend. As far as I've planned:

Saturday: Delhi - Chaukori
Sunday: Chaukori - Munsiyari
Monday: Munsiyari - Nainital/ Kausani/ Binsar
Tuesday: Back to Delhi

I'm planning to take the Moradabad - Thakurdwar - Kaladhungi route till Nainital while going and the Kathgodam - Haldwani - Rudrapur route while coming back.

The questions that I had:
1. Are there better routes that I should consider?
2. Is the schedule too hectic and should I cut down on a couple of places?
3. I do not have prior accommodation arrangements. Is is feasible considering that it is season time for all hill stations?
4. The halt for Monday has been kept in order to minimize drive time on Tuesday. Should I consider other places closer to Delhi?

And finally, if my co-passenger backs out (work), is it feasible to do this trip solo? I've driven over long distances before (Delhi-Bhangarh-Delhi, single day with me driving throughout, Delhi-Mussoorie etc) but I've always traveled with a co-passenger.

Thanks in advance!
lordavenger is offline   Reply With Quote