Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th September 2008, 17:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Masanagudi ghats and the Amaravatinagar-Munnar section would be, IMO impossible for them. The only alternative on a bus is the Chalakudy option.
Ok. Thanks for the confirmation then. So, they simply need to juggle around with the order in which they will make the visits.

Day 1. Arrive at Chalakudy / Angamaly (Angamaly because it has more hotels) and visit Athirapally. Start from Athirappally late evening and come back to rooms; (starting from Athirappally early evening may bring you to Ernakulam by 7 PM ish; but the day will be very tiring.)

Edit - you may find this site useful if you know where you want to go to. Kerala PWD
Day 2. Visit Ernakulam from early morning; Leave for Munnar from Ernakulam by evening; Stay at Munnar and do sight seeing at Munnar during day 3.

For what do on day 4 - (assuming you have skipped Thiruvananthapuram and Kanyakumari) - see the TBHP Monsoon Drive thread here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ive-kochi.html (Monsoon DRIVE - Kochi) and http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ing-roads.html for inspiration.

Think of exiting Kerala to Kodai / Madurai.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 30th September 2008 at 17:44.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 22:43   #32
BHPian

Default New Development

Well we have a new development.

The tourist bus is charging 9k for entry tax to Kerala and 13k as entry tax to Tamil Nadu.(Can You guys explain why this is charged,I have no idea.Wont the Bus have all India Permit).So we are dropping Kanyakumari from our list.

Now which route should we take to Munnar without going to Tamil Nadu.
zoomingbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 06:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomingbhat View Post
Well we have decided on the following.

Day1:Reach Munnar early morning.We have one full day in munnar.
Leave munnar by evening and head for an overnight stay on the way to Athirapally Falls.

Day2:Visit Athirapally Falls and head to cochin by 3:00.We have entire evening in cochin.Overnight stay at cochin

Day3:We can skip alleppey if we get same experience in cochin itself.So spend morning in cochin or alleppey and spend the entire evening in kovallam beach.
Head to kanyakumari for overnight stay.

Day4:Watch early sunrise,visit vivekananda rock memorial and Return back to Bangalore by 4:00pm.

Thank You for your inputs guys.Could you please tell me the must visit places in Munnar and Cochin,Need your suggestions.

Regards,
zoomingbhat
I feel, ur programs a bit cramped.
In Munnar, u must drive to Mattupatty dam, and drive till Top station and back.
If u plan to stay near chinnakanal, no need to go in search of scenary at all! U could stay in Sterling resort or Siena Village in Chinnakanal.
Will travelling from Munnar to Kochi, u pass by 2 very good falls...
Valara falls and champu falls (i may be wrong the later's name)
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008, 11:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The tourist bus is charging 9k for entry tax to Kerala and 13k as entry tax to Tamil Nadu.(
Looks like now I realise why I fine too few KA registered vehicles here.

I suspect the vehicle does not have a South India permit. Why dont you ask another operator? Like one of those who operate B'lore - Kerala night services (CPC, Sharma, Kallada and zillions of others)? You would get a good bus with push back seats and 2x2 seating

Only way you can avoid paying TN tax is by entering and leaving Kerala via Wynad. The moment you cross Hosur, you may have to pay TN tax.

A cheaper alternative may work out to taking a train to Ernakulam / Alwaye and hiring a bus from here; and return too by train.
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:43   #35
BANNED

About 40 people?
Train maybe a bit too much of a hassle.

Would suggest you to come directly to Cochin via Wynad. Then plan ahead from there onwards.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 15:44   #36
BHPian

Default Roadtrip from Bangalore

One of my cousin along with his family would like to visit kerala by road in his Safari.He is thinking of starting from Bangalore on 22nd and returning back on the 27th.What places do people suggest to visit in Kerala?What roads to be taken?Which hotels to stay?Kindly help.

Thanks

D.V.R
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 17:37   #37
BHPian

We have made a rough plan for the trip,but it seems a bit hectic.

22/12/08-Bangalore to Calicut via Wayanad.Stay at Calicut (Approx 400km)
23/12/08-Calicut to Cochin .Stay at Cochin( Approx 188 km)
24/12/08-Cochin to Kottayam via Allepey.Stay at Allepey or Kottayam(Approx 70 km)
25/12/08-Kottayam to Munnar via Thekkady,Periyar.Stay at Munnar(Approx 200km)
26/12/08-Munnar to Bangalore.(Approx 550 km)

There is still one day left i.e they can return back to bangalore on the 27th.Was thinking about Ooty or Coimbatore but felt it would become too hectic.What do you people suggest?The above plan is only Tentative and made after looking at the Road Atlas.Kindly make any suggestions and correct if any distance or the names of the places or wrong.

Thanks

D.V.R
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 19:05   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
We have made a rough plan for the trip,but it seems a bit hectic.

22/12/08-Bangalore to Calicut via Wayanad.Stay at Calicut (Approx 400km)
23/12/08-Calicut to Cochin .Stay at Cochin( Approx 188 km)
24/12/08-Cochin to Kottayam via Allepey.Stay at Allepey or Kottayam(Approx 70 km)
25/12/08-Kottayam to Munnar via Thekkady,Periyar.Stay at Munnar(Approx 200km)
26/12/08-Munnar to Bangalore.(Approx 550 km)

There is still one day left i.e they can return back to bangalore on the 27th.Was thinking about Ooty or Coimbatore but felt it would become too hectic.What do you people suggest?The above plan is only Tentative and made after looking at the Road Atlas.Kindly make any suggestions and correct if any distance or the names of the places or wrong.

Thanks

D.V.R
Cochin-Shertalla-Kottayam. You will be doing 50plus kms if you do Cochin-Shertalla-Alleppey-Changanacherry-Kottayam.

Why do you want to stay at Alleppey? House boat? You get these from Kottayam (Kumarakom ) too.

There are lot of places enroute to Munnar. Would suggest you visit those places instead of driving to all locations and not having fun.

Last edited by jkdas : 17th December 2008 at 19:07.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 23:08   #39
BHPian

Hi Guys, I'm planning a trip to Kerala in September'09 and would really appreciate some help on finalizing a few details. The plan as of now is:-

Day 1 - CCU -> BLR/MAA -> overnight train to Cochin
Day 2 - Cochin -> Munnar by car
Day 3 - Munnar
Day 4 - Munnar ->Thekkady by car
Day 5 - Thekkady / Periyar
Day 6 - Thekkady -> Alleppy / Kollam / Kumarakom by car
Day 7 - ?
Day 8 - Alleppy / Kollam / Kumarakom -> Kovalam
Day 9 - Kovalam
Day 10 - Kovalam->TVM->BLR->CCU

I've already made hotel bookings in Munnar, Thekkady and Kovalam. However, the backwaters are proving to be little more difficult - I'm not sure which city (of the 3 that I've mentioned) would be the best for enjoying a relaxed backwater experience.

Also, should I book a houseboat now or wait till I get there? I'll have my parents with me, so would not ideally like to leave things like acco for the last minute. However, if there's a marked difference in pricing and houseboats are easily available on the spot, I may decide otherwise.

Another consideration would be the distance from the chosen city to Kovalam and the ease of access (by car / boat(?) / rail)

So please help me with:-
- Choice between Alleppy / Kollam / Kumarakon / Some other place
- Good acco in the chosen place
- Houseboat advice
- Best mode of transport to Kovalam

I know we have a lot of guys from Kerala. Hoping some of you can take some time out and get me out of this fix

Cheers,
Wim

PS: Have been following the Yetiblog on Kerala quite closely - what perfect timing! Can't wait to get there. Thanks Sam, if you're reading this.
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 10:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi Wim,

Since you are reaching Kochi by early morning and enough days in hand, you may include Kochi as well to your itinerary.

Munnar is about 4hrs drive from Kochi and two days would be enough. Thekkady is an ok place but include a house boat overnight stay at Alleppy with backwater cruise (check in-11am-check out10am)

You may leave to Kovalam from Alleppy (about 4hrs drive).

Please check for all inclusive packages which could be lighter to your pocket. Please PM me if you need details of any such tour operators.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 13:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Also, should I book a houseboat now or wait till I get there? I'll have my parents with me, so would not ideally like to leave things like acco for the last minute.
Coolclouds seems to know his way around this place better than me.

Believe me, neither have I gone for a houseboat tour or arranged one for anybody. Sadly I do not have much of social / other contacts despite living all my life here.

Alleppey is supposed to be a better place for houseboats. Kovalam trip would be in a hired car from here.

Let me see if I can get some train info.

How many poeple are there in your travel group?

Last edited by trrk : 5th August 2009 at 13:29.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 21:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Day 2 - Cochin -> Munnar by car.
If you have the time, (train / hotel bookings permit) stay overnight in Cochin. (leave Cochin early to mid morning next day, to reach Munnar around 5 PM.

Quote:
Day 5 - Thekkady / Periyar.
Start for Alleppey around 7 PM on 2nd day you are at Thekkady. You can reach Alleppey late night, stay at a hotel and get the cruise early morning.

Quote:
Day 6 - Thekkady -> Alleppy / Kollam / Kumarakom by car.
Thekkady > Kottayam > Alleppey. Boating from Alleppey.

From Alleppey, you go to Thiruvananthapuram / Kovalam via Kollam.

Quote:
Day 7 - ?
Day 9 - Kovalam
Day 10 - Kovalam->TVM->BLR->CCU.
So, reaching late night at Alleppey, early morning boating, with a night on houseboat, reach shores by 10 AM, and off you go to Kovalam. Reach around 2PM. Kovalam is on the far end of Thiruvananthapuram byepass on NH47. Evening / night at Kovalam, day time in Tvm city.

Quote:
Also, should I book a houseboat now or wait till I get there? .
They can fleece you, if you reach at the last moment. Try asking Sam about bookings.

It is Onam holidays in the first week of September, and both week 2 and 3 of September have 2 state govt. holidays (apart from Saturday and Sunday) each. It is going to be a very busy season for the house boats, and discounts would not be easy. As trrk said, it may not be wise to go in for a houseboat unbooked.

In case you do not want a house boat, you can choose to roam around for 7-8 hours on the top of a normal boat. Depending on the size of the boat, it will cost you between 1.5 to 3K. (my guesstimate). The down side being food will have to be bought from outside / shore (house boats have cooking facilities on board). This may be available without booking, if the particular day you choose is not a holiday.

Kumarakom is a part of the Vembanad lake, which extends from Kodungallur (Trichur district) to Kollam. Alleppey / Kuttanad is the best part.

Edit:- You may actually want to consider jkdas' advice couple of posts before yours - consider cutting off Kovalam (unless you insist on visiting a good beach) and spend more time either at Munnar or a house boat.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 5th August 2009 at 21:22.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

My answers in Bold, taking the short way out so that I can post fast and log out.....

Quote:
Hi Guys, I'm planning a trip to Kerala in September'09 and would really appreciate some help on finalizing a few details. The plan as of now is:-

Day 2 - Cochin -> Munnar by car
Day 3 - Munnar
Day 5 - Thekkady / Periyar
Day 6 - Thekkady -> Alleppy / Kollam / Kumarakom by car
Day 7 - ?
Day 9 - Kovalam
Day 10 - Kovalam->TVM->BLR->CCU

I've already made hotel bookings in Munnar, Thekkady and Kovalam. However, the backwaters are proving to be little more difficult - I'm not sure which city (of the 3 that I've mentioned) would be the best for enjoying a relaxed backwater experience.

Also, should I book a houseboat now or wait till I get there? I'll have my parents with me, so would not ideally like to leave things like acco for the last minute. However, if there's a marked difference in pricing and houseboats are easily available on the spot, I may decide otherwise.

Book a houseboat in advance, once you reach the spot, you are likely to be overcharged. Though the travel agent, if invloved, takes his minimum 10% cut, you are assured of things in advance and can be stress free. Aleppey, as coolclouds mentioned, is the best place fo this.

Another consideration would be the distance from the chosen city to Kovalam and the ease of access (by car / boat(?) / rail)

So please help me with:-
- Choice between Alleppy / Kollam / Kumarakon / Some other place
- Good acco in the chosen place

Will also give you some numbers for you to talk to. Will have to hunt it up from my archives.

- Houseboat advice

Will try to get you some contacts for the house boats, talk to them, you'd get the guidance prices.

- Best mode of transport to Kovalam

Taxi is the best, as TTRK said.

I know we have a lot of guys from Kerala. Hoping some of you can take some time out and get me out of this fix

Cheers,
Wim

PS: Have been following the Yetiblog on Kerala quite closely - what perfect timing! Can't wait to get there. Thanks Sam, if you're reading this.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 11:30   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dont miss this.

Get a house boat with 2 bedrooms. Rate from 3.5k to 4.5k for nonac/ac rooms; negotiable. Book in advance. If you need contact no, PM me.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 12:11   #45

About the backwaters, here's the best plan. After your day 5 trips, on day 6, start early from Thekkadi, reach Kottayam town via the KK road, go to Kodimatha or Kumarakom, get a house boat rented upto Alleppy, cruise till alleppy, get on a taxi n go Kovalam, stay and see there next day too.

Btw, my personal suggestion would be not to go Kovalam in the monsoon season as it is really gonna put you off, trust me. The beach s nt much there as sea s come really to the shores.. Only dirty blacky sandy beach.. However, just fr the sake of it, see Kovalam early morning and spend the rest of the day in and around trivandrum city if you want, or head to Varkala Beach or Padmanabhapurm palace on the way to Nagarcoil n get back to trivandrum..

From Kumarakom you can reach Kovalam in about 4.5 hrs.
From Alleppy you can reach Kovalam in about 3 hrs.
From Kollam you can reach Kovalam in about 2 hrs.

Best mode of transport to Kovalam is by road.

Again, if you need ny emergency help in trivandrum, I ll be on 94953 24422, n name is Rajesh T K, mail me to rjshtk@gmail.com if you have ny querries again.
rajeshtk is offline   Reply With Quote