Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th August 2009, 13:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Thekkady > Kottayam > Alleppey. Boating from Alleppey.
He can avoid Kottayam unless he is going to Kumarakam. Kumily - Changanacherry - Alleppey will be shorter. Of course, he can come to Alleppey via Kottayam - Kumarakom - Thanneermukkom also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
In case you do not want a house boat, you can choose to roam around for 7-8 hours on the top of a normal boat. Depending on the size of the boat, it will cost you between 1.5 to 3K. (my guesstimate).
Rs 250 to 300 per hour would be the approximate charge for a medium boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshtk View Post
From Alleppy you can reach Kovalam in about 3 hrs.
I would add another 30 minutes at the least to the above timing.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 19:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Will agree with trrk's views on the Thekkady/Kumli to Alleppey route.

rajeshtk has a good suggestion there - hire a boat from kumarakom and boat down to Alleppey.

And if you have the option, stick to a single car during the whole of the trip.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2009, 16:49   #48
BHPian

Thanks a lot all of you for your valuable suggestions. I never cease to be amazed by this forum - people are always ready to help, whether its cars we're discussing or something completely different.

rajeshtk's idea seems good, will explore that for sure. Some contact details of tour operators would be most welcome - I've PMed some of you separately.

Also, would be glad if you could give me a heads up on the kind of money we're talking about if I book a car for the entire trip. When are the two government holidays in September? I'll be there from 13th to 22nd September.
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 14:31   #49

This is a houseboat contact 984612525 I got. Name is Karthika tours I think..

Maybe you could ring em up and say Hi.
rajeshtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 15:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

In Kerala, Onam festival starts with "Atham" on 23rd Aug and main festival Thiruvonam on 2nd Sept. All celebration will be over by 1st week of September.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 16:00   #51
BHPian

Hello, I had been to Kerala in June this year for a total of 8 Nights/9 Days

Here was my itinerary if it helps you in any way.

Day 1 : Arrival in cochin in evening. Overnight at Brunton Boatyard in Cochin

Day 2 : After a short local tour, proceed to Munnar (Blackberry Ecoodges)

Day 3 : Short tour of Munnar & proceed to Thekkady (Spice Village - Thekkady)

Day 4 : Periyar boat ride. Overnight in Thekkady

Day 5 : Proceed to Kumarakom (Coconut Lagoon)

Day 6 : Relax at the hotel in Kumarakom

Day 7 : Houseboat from Kumarakom to Allepey. Overnight in Houseboat (Spice Coast Cruises)

Day 8 : Allepey to Mararikulam. Overnight at Mararikulam (Marari Beach Resort)

Day 9 : Proceed to Cochin. Evening flight to Mumbai.

I was on the CGH 7 nights package and the hotels & houseboat were great. For Cochin to Kumarakom, I had hired a non AC qualis. It costed me around Rs 9500 (A bit pricey I feel. You can bargain). If you need any more details regarding any of the aspects of the above tour, do reply.
dark_horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 08:55   #52
BHPian

We are heading for Kerala during Navratri from Pune. Plan to go to Bangalore on day one (two drivers - Ford Fusion), Kodai on day two (via Palani as suggested elsewhere by Mr. HV Kumar), leave on day four to adurai and reach Kanyakumari by sunset. Next morning reach Kovalam by lunch. The next day head for Kumarakom (approximately 220 km away I think) and stay on a Houseboat. Then to the hills.. Thekkady followed by Munnar over three days and then down and up again to Ooty. From here we see the Mysore dassera procession before heading back to Pune. It is 12 days in all, but if your start point s Bangalore I think it can be done in nine days. I have referred to a good road atlas based on the Min. of Surface Transport maps printed by Eicher (although it does not show the Palani- Kodai road at all). The round trip is 3700 km or so over 12 days with two day halts each at Kodai and Munnar.
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 14:57   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
We are heading for Kerala during Navratri from Pune. Plan to go to Bangalore on day one (two drivers - Ford Fusion), Kodai on day two (via Palani as suggested elsewhere by Mr. HV Kumar), leave on day four to adurai and reach Kanyakumari by sunset. Next morning reach Kovalam by lunch. The next day head for Kumarakom (approximately 220 km away I think) and stay on a Houseboat. Then to the hills.. Thekkady followed by Munnar over three days and then down and up again to Ooty. From here we see the Mysore dassera procession before heading back to Pune. It is 12 days in all, but if your start point s Bangalore I think it can be done in nine days. I have referred to a good road atlas based on the Min. of Surface Transport maps printed by Eicher (although it does not show the Palani- Kodai road at all). The round trip is 3700 km or so over 12 days with two day halts each at Kodai and Munnar.
As far as I follow from what you wrote, after your Kodaikaanal visit, you just want to head further down to Kanyakumari directly and then to Kovalam and then to Kumarakom and then to Thekkady and then to Munnar and then to Ooty and then back..

I do have a suggestion here.. From Kodai, I see no point in going to Madurai unless you want to visit temples of Madurai.

Here s the better plan:

From Kodai, (assuming you stilll want to go Madurai), Goto Madurai if you want, then trace back same route uptill the turn near Chinnamannur, then to Cumbum, then to Kumily, then to Thekkadi.. Spend time in Thekkadi, then go to Munnar,(in Munnar, visit Chinnar wildlife sanctuary and stay in one of the jungle huts.. disclaimer: call the chinnar forest people before you go for bookin g accommodation in advance or you ll probably have to return back to Munnar town for stay)
Then from Munnar, goto Kumarakom, do houseboating n all.
Then head to Kovalam.. See beach n trivandrum..
Then head south to Kanyakumari..

After Kanyakumari, unless you want to travel further and see places in Kerala, you can directly head to Madurai via the Kanyakumari Madurai route.. Its an excellent strip for drive..
From Madurai, head further North to Coimbatore and Mettupalayam and then to Ooty.. From there to Mysore..

(Please bear in mind that the route to Mysore through Wynad in Kerala is closed for traffic from 2100 to 0600 except for medical emergencies).

Reach Mysore, spend Dussera time, head back to Pune.. ( Many routes still.. I d go via Sullia, Mlore, and then through the Beachside dakshin kannada highway upto Pune.. You can pass through Goa if you want

With the rearrangement of destinations, I m sure u ll have more time and places to visit..

Well..

Thats all about it mate..

Now, Have a great trip

PS: If anybody has got a better plan, let frequentflyer know....
Old 18th August 2013, 08:07   #54
BHPian

Default Re: Need Advice on Kerala Tour

Hi all, I'm coming to India for 5 weeks and wanted to have a nice vacation and Kerala seems to be on our radar. Actually that's the only place I've in mind I was thinking like 4-5 days and I've 2 kids (4 and 1). I might have my parents and In-laws with us. So I guess no adventures but just trying to have a nice time to relax and experience beauty of Kerala on those famous houseboats. I see lot of members from Kerala here which makes me feel comfortable. As I've no idea from where to start, a complete walk through would be a gigantic help. Also, should I prefer Air, Rail or chartered mini bus from Hyderabad? Thanks a bunch!
VIPER_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 10:13   #55
BHPian

Indeed you are right,the houseboats of kerala are magnificent.I would suggest you to start from kochi,it would be good for you to arrive from hyd by air and then take a vehicle from there,The boat rides start from allepey which is just 60 km from kochi,you can book online from travel agencies for that.See that you spend one night in houseboats .The other attractions in kerala are munnar wayanad which are worth seeing,all depends upon how much time you have.
vindrider2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 11:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Hi all, I'm coming to India for 5 weeks and wanted to have a nice vacation and Kerala seems to be on our radar. Actually that's the only place I've in mind I was thinking like 4-5 days and I've 2 kids (4 and 1). I might have my parents and In-laws with us. So I guess no adventures but just trying to have a nice time to relax and experience beauty of Kerala on those famous houseboats. I see lot of members from Kerala here which makes me feel comfortable. As I've no idea from where to start, a complete walk through would be a gigantic help. Also, should I prefer Air, Rail or chartered mini bus from Hyderabad? Thanks a bunch!
You can easily drive the self drive XUV that you intend to hire.roads are excellent all the way.you can do it with a stopover in bangalore.Rail is going to be tough considering the fact that there is just one train from here to any place in kerala and it takes ages to reach.if its a fast and quick trip to kerala then flight or drive is the best option.

You can ideally do the munnar-backwater-kochi circuit and head back to Hyd.Plenty of hotels in both the places.As for the houseboat I would suggest that you just do a day cruise on the houseboat and stay in any of the innumerable resorts as stay in houseboats is a downer considering that the rooms are cramped and as it is after 5pm the boats are all onshore and all tied up one next to the other-its too uncomfortable for my idea of privacy.Feel free to pm me in case you need any more assist.btw where in hyd would you be at?As for me we head to kerala close to 2-3times a year using the car option.

Ps:most of the high end resorts have their own house boats which can be hired on a 9-4pm basis with lunch and hightea on board.this imo is more reccomended.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 18th August 2013 at 11:33.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 13:37   #57

Hi Viper,

Here s my suggestion:

Lets say you can stretch your holidays to 6 days.

Hyd > Kochi > Munnar > Alleppy

Take two days at each place. See around the place in those two days

[It is logical to arrive at Kochi whatever the mode of transport be because of the geographic position of it and the various transportation options available there]

In Kochi, go for an evening walk on the seaside walkway [behind the baypride mall, i forgot the name :P]

In Munnar, make time for a trip to 'Tall Trees' and dine there [You will never see that kind of an ambience anywhere else, believe me], please make sure you are not in a hurry [At the entrance of Tall Trees, just ask where their restuarant is, ofcourse unless you fall fall it and decide to stay there for a night]

In Alleppy, it would be complete only if you stay inside the houseboat for a night atleast with the authentic food the guys serve inside the boats [ NonVegans will be lucky to try some exotic local varieties, and I dunno anything about Vegan food in a boat, mebbe those guys ll jus ignore you :P]

Well, nyway, if you are on your own vehicle and want to make a detour to a jungle, come n visit me in Idamalayar , will make it worthwhile.

For any help, ring me on 94953 24422 [Rajesh T K]
Old 18th August 2013, 16:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Hi all, I'm coming to India for 5 weeks and wanted to have a nice vacation and Kerala seems to be on our radar. Actually that's the only place I've in mind I was thinking like 4-5 days and I've 2 kids (4 and 1). I might have my parents and In-laws with us. So I guess no adventures but just trying to have a nice time to relax and experience beauty of Kerala on those famous houseboats.
Since you are having 4-5 days in hand, I would not prefer you doing all around Kerala. Just 2 places are high on my list - Wayanad, because you want to unwind and then Alleppey, because you want to laze in a houseboat. Fly by air to Cochin and take a taxi to Alleppey. Stay in a houseboat that night and enjoy the Marari beaches the next day/evening. Start to Wayanad the next day (~300 kms from Alleppey) and get ready to unwind in the wilderness a few days. You can catch a return flight from Calicut, some 80kms away from Wayanad.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 15:47   #59
BHPian

Default Kerala Trip. Stop by in Calicut, or stay in Waynad?

This will be a short honeymoon trip to Kerala. We're planning a trip this 24th June onwards to a tree house resort in Waynad for 2 days, followed by 2 days beach resort in Kannur. However, the day we land in Calicut by flight (24th) is a blank day with nothing planned yet. We plan to start for Waynad (tree house) the next day morning in time for the 1PM check-in.

We were wondering if we should stay back in Calicut after landing at 10.30AM (but isn't the airport far from the city?) or travel to Waynad soon as we land and book a hotel there? We would be tired from marriage activities and early morning flight will have us sleep deprived so we will most probably not want to venture out unless within walking distance of a beach or a lake. We're looking for a relaxed experience.

So, should be book a hotel in Calicut or drive straight to Waynad and stay in a quiet place for the night? Please suggest places of stay in either place based on your advice. We're vegetarians.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 16:05   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Kerala Trip. Stop by in Calicut, or stay in Waynad?

Since you already have 2 days planned at a beach resort in Kannur and you also prefer to rest, it would be better to head straight to Wayanad. One reason I would have recommended staying in Calicut is to enjoy the food. But unfortunately Vegetarian and Calicut do not go too well together.

There are a large number of places in Wayanad across budgets. Where is the place you have booked? It would be a good idea to book at a place in a different area of the district which can enable you to cover an additional place or 2 on the day you reach or the next day morning.

Calicut airport to the City will not take more than 30-45 min. Airport straight to Wayanad can take anything between 2.5-4 hours depending on where you are headed to in Wayanad.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote