Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2014, 16:20   #61
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 806
Thanked: 618 Times
Default Re: Kerala Trip. Stop by in Calicut, or stay in Waynad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Since you already have 2 days planned at a beach resort in Kannur and you also prefer to rest, it would be better to head straight to Wayanad. One reason I would have recommended staying in Calicut is to enjoy the food. But unfortunately Vegetarian and Calicut do not go too well together.

There are a large number of places in Wayanad across budgets. Where is the place you have booked? It would be a good idea to book at a place in a different area of the district which can enable you to cover an additional place or 2 on the day you reach or the next day morning.

Calicut airport to the City will not take more than 30-45 min. Airport straight to Wayanad can take anything between 2.5-4 hours depending on where you are headed to in Wayanad.
Hi Rajeev,

We're booked in Vythiri tree house resort in Wayanad - so that covers our desire for extreme green. The beach resort covers the sea. What's left is, I don't know, food? And maybe lakes and waterfalls. My wife-to-be has this wish to visit a lighthouse, though.

Like you say, a different area of Waynad makes sense. Could you please suggest other areas of interest?
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 16:21   #62
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: bangalore
Posts: 108
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Kerala Trip. Stop by in Calicut, or stay in Waynad?

You could stay over at Calicut, do a bit of shopping for some paper thin banana chips (which is very tasty and popular) apart from some varieties of halwa too. There are a variety of milkshakes too that are very popular. Also Calicut being a city your choice of hotels are also varied.

Hope you are aware that monsoons are to hit Kerala in 48 hrs and usually it pours making it a little tough for travel to see places. Ensure to carry rain coat / umbrella/ caps and footwear for the rains.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 21:16   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kochi
Posts: 82
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Kerala Trip. Stop by in Calicut, or stay in Waynad?

Being a honeymoon trip, you'll be looking for a relaxed sightseeing schedule. So it'd be better to proceed straight to Wayanad and stay and a resort either at Sulthan's Bathery or Mananthavady areas.

Vythiri is at the border of Wayanad so if you could prepone your stay there, you can move to the other place after 2 days and then go to Kannur via Mananthavady, Thalassery.

Yes, rains are near which may force you to confine into the room enjoying the rains of Kerala sitting in the verandah, which too is not a bad idea.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 22:09   #64
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 806
Thanked: 618 Times
Default Re: Kerala Trip. Stop by in Calicut, or stay in Waynad?

Vythiri Resort is already paid for and book so can't move it. Based on everyone's feedback here and offline, I have decided to go to Wayanad directly. We're trying to stay close to Vythiri so there'll be minimum travel from the place we stay the night before, however, we're open to all ideas and places in Wayanad.

Mananthavady seems quite far away from Vythiri further away from the road from Calicut.

Yes, our idea is to just relax and do nothing. Even the lack of sightseeing doesn't affect us as we really want a break from Hyderabad.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 22:16   #65
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,958
Thanked: 6,390 Times
Default Re: Kerala Trip. Stop by in Calicut, or stay in Waynad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Hi Rajeev,

We're booked in Vythiri tree house resort in Wayanad - so that covers our desire for extreme green. The beach resort covers the sea. What's left is, I don't know, food? And maybe lakes and waterfalls. My wife-to-be has this wish to visit a lighthouse, though.

Like you say, a different area of Waynad makes sense. Could you please suggest other areas of interest?
Wayanad will cover lakes and waterfalls. Pookot lake is a large and beautiful lake. Meenmutti, Soochipara are waterfalls. But not sure if these places have restrictions during monsoon.

Vythiri is one end of Wayanad District, One option would be to go to the other end towards the Muthanga/Bandipur forest(about an hour from Vythiri) and maybe catch a safari the next day morning before heading to Vythiri Resort. The forest will be beautiful during the monsoon and good chance of wildlife sightings. Bathery has decent hotels and there are several resorts/home stays also. Not sure of the good ones, other experts can give more specific recommendations.

The Thirunelly/Manathavady area would also be a good option.

Of course, as others above have mentioned, it is monsoon time and if it is a period of heavy rains during your visit, you will be better off enjoying the monsoon from within your resort.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 10:56   #66
BHPian
 
ak916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore/Hyderabad
Posts: 279
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Kerala Trip. Stop by in Calicut, or stay in Waynad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
We're trying to stay close to Vythiri so there'll be minimum travel from the place we stay the night before, however, we're open to all ideas and places in Wayanad.
Try to stay near Banasura sagar dam. It is too good to miss, particularly during the rains. It is only about 30-40 minutes away from Vythiri and that drive between the two places will be all the sightseeing you will need in wayanad, during the monsoon.
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2014, 11:17   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,051
Thanked: 633 Times
Default Re: Kerala Trip. Stop by in Calicut, or stay in Waynad?

If you just want to take rest and would like to stay closer to Vythiri - better go straight to Kalpetta and stay at a hotel. Hotel Haritagiri and Woodland (has a vegetarian restaurant also) are options coming to my mind

And WISH YOU A HAPPY MARRIED LIFE
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 23:56   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default Kerala Trip suggestions.

Hi all, I am planning to visit Kerala in August. This will be our first time. Me, wife and 6year old. I have two itineraries in mind. The first one is Bangalore - - Thekkady - - Munnar - - via Athirappilly waterfalls - - Bangalore. The second one is to replace Thekkady with Parambikulam tiger reserve. Rest all remain the same. Will be travelling by car. I prefer night safari or dusk safari and less tourists. Which is better - thekkady or parambikulam? I plan to start on Wed morning and return by Sat night.
Wed - - Bangalore to thekkady or parambikulam
Thu morning - - Travel to munnar
Thu and Fri - - Munnar
Sat early morning - - Munnar - Cheyyappara - - Athirappilly - - Bangalore.

Is this doable?

Please advise.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th June 2016 at 00:05. Reason: Post moved to existing thread. Please SEARCH before creating threads on topics already discussed. Thanks!
andescondor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 09:34   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 1,538 Times
Default Re: Kerala Trip suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andescondor View Post
Hi all, I am planning to visit Kerala in August. This will be our first time. Me, wife and 6year old. I have two itineraries in mind. The first one is Bangalore - - Thekkady - - Munnar - - via Athirappilly waterfalls - - Bangalore. The second one is to replace Thekkady with Parambikulam tiger reserve. Rest all remain the same. Will be travelling by car. I prefer night safari or dusk safari and less tourists. Which is better - thekkady or parambikulam? I plan to start on Wed morning and return by Sat night.
Wed - - Bangalore to thekkady or parambikulam
Thu morning - - Travel to munnar
Thu and Fri - - Munnar
Sat early morning - - Munnar - Cheyyappara - - Athirappilly - - Bangalore.

Is this doable?

Please advise.
August is peak monsoon season.You are not going to be able to do much of any outdoor activities,having said that the whole of Kerala is going to be exceptionally green.But activities like boating,safaris etc are going to be dependent on the weather.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 10:06   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
August is peak monsoon season.You are not going to be able to do much of any outdoor activities,having said that the whole of Kerala is going to be exceptionally green.But activities like boating,safaris etc are going to be dependent on the weather.
Thank you Ranjitp. Would late Aug or Sept beginning be a good idea then?
andescondor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 11:22   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,417
Thanked: 1,538 Times
Default Re: Need Advice on Kerala Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by andescondor View Post
Thank you Ranjitp. Would late Aug or Sept beginning be a good idea then?
Mid september should be good.Unless the monsoon decides to retreat earlier than usual this year.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 12:02   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Mid september should be good.Unless the monsoon decides to retreat earlier than usual this year.
Thank you. Which is better in terms of less tourists and spotting wildlife - thekkady or parambikulam.
andescondor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 15:23   #73
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,060
Thanked: 3,364 Times
Default Re: Kerala Trip suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andescondor View Post
Hi all, I am planning to visit Kerala in August. This will be our first time. Me, wife and 6year old. I have two itineraries in mind. The first one is Bangalore - - Thekkady - - Munnar - - via Athirappilly waterfalls - - Bangalore. The second one is to replace Thekkady with Parambikulam tiger reserve.
If you decide to visit Parambikulam, my suggestion would be to stay at the accommodation available with Tamil Nadu or Kerala forest departments. This will give you better chances of wildlife spotting since the guests staying at the places get preference for early morning and dusk safaris.
Being the tourist season, book ahead to avoid disappointment, these places see lots of tourist crowds.
I think Bangalore-Athirappily-Thekkady-Munnar should be a good circuit provided you have enough time.
You can possibly do Parambikulam-Valparai on another trip
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 22:13   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Kerala Trip suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you decide to visit Parambikulam, my suggestion would be to stay at the accommodation available with Tamil Nadu or Kerala forest departments. This will give you better chances of wildlife spotting since the guests staying at the places get preference for early morning and dusk safaris.
Being the tourist season, book ahead to avoid disappointment, these places see lots of tourist crowds.
I think Bangalore-Athirappilly -Thekkady-Munnar should be a good circuit provided you have enough time.
You can possibly do Parambikulam-Valparai on another trip
Hello NPV, Thnak you for the suggestion. Given my anticipation for the night safari and the tree house, I am leaning towards Parambikulam . Here is my tentative itinerary.

Day 1: Start at BLR by 4 AM. Reach Parambikulam by 1 PM. Safari. Boat ride. Dusk Drive. Spend night.
Day 2: Start to Munnar by 7 AM. Reach by 12 PM. <<Sight seeing at at Munnar>>. Overnight stay.
Day 3: <<Sight seeing at at Munnar>>. Overnight stay.
Day 4: Start from Munnar at 7 AM. Reach Cheyyappara Water falls by 9 AM.
Reach Athirappilly Waterfalls by 12 PM. Cover Vazhachal waterfalls. Finish lunch and start to Bangalore by 1 PM. Reach Bangalore by 10:30 PM or so.

Please advise if this is ok.
andescondor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 13:07   #75
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kochi
Posts: 82
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Kerala Trip suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andescondor View Post
... Here is my tentative itinerary.

Day 1: Start at BLR by 4 AM. Reach Parambikulam by 1 PM. Safari. Boat ride. Dusk Drive. Spend night.
Day 2: Start to Munnar by 7 AM. Reach by 12 PM. <<Sight seeing at at Munnar>>. Overnight stay.
Day 3: <<Sight seeing at at Munnar>>. Overnight stay.
Day 4: Start from Munnar at 7 AM. Reach Cheyyappara Water falls by 9 AM.
Reach Athirappilly Waterfalls by 12 PM. Cover Vazhachal waterfalls. Finish lunch and start to Bangalore by 1 PM. Reach Bangalore by 10:30 PM or so.

Please advise if this is ok.
I would suggest as follows:

Day 1 : BLR - Parambikkulam, arrival at noon and activities of package.
Day 2 : Till noon at Parambikulam to complete the package and then to Munnar via Valparai, Athirappilly Falls (some 300 kms, drive will be a bit tiring, you may reach Munnar in the night only)
Day 3 : Munnar
Day 4 : Munnar - Thekady
Day 5 : Thekady - Bangalore via Theni, Dindigul.

Add one more day and you'll be able to cover Parambikulam and Thekady.
JohnnyBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kerala Guys ,where in kerala are you residing? deepclutch Shifting gears 372 2nd September 2016 20:27
Need assistance in planning a Rajasthan tour jaysmokesleaves Route / Travel Queries 137 10th August 2016 14:33
TamilNadu-Kerala 8 day tour query pramod Route / Travel Queries 30 22nd October 2012 21:42
Need advice on driving a new car (RC not received yet) from Chennai to Kerala rajesh_sg The Indian Car Scene 8 29th September 2008 22:25
Horrible experience with Maruti AVG Dealer in Kerala(Need Advice) micraft Indian Car Dealerships 6 5th August 2006 12:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks