Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd September 2016, 10:43   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Need Advice on Kerala Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Please note: Not many options for food. You need to have them at the resort where you stay. That is the best option.
Pizza Max is the only branded (or quasi?) eatery in Munnar? I am just back from Munnar and had good cheese crust pizzas though burgers were unavailable for lunch.

The highlight about Munnar was the resort, The Tall Tress. So serene, calm and refreshing, feels like inside a jungle yet the architecture is awesome.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:44   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

I am planning a Kerala trip with family in last week of October sans driving. Will be flying to Kochi and the itinerary is Kochi>Munnar (2N)>Thekkady (1N)>Kumarakon (1N)>Kovalam(3N)>Kochi (1N)> fly back to Mumbai. From Kovalam, I will be doing Kanyakumar (1D), Poovar Island+Trivandrum sightseeing (1D) and Kovalam beach 1/2D. Does this itinerary looks good. The trip is through a packaged tour costing approx 40K including travel + hotels. Hotels are as follows:
1) Munnar: Summer breeze (near Vengala dam), property owned by package tour owner.
2) Thekkady; Grand Thekkady
3) Kumarokom: Manor back water
4) Kovalam - Green shore apartments
5) Kochi - Hotel pearl palace.

Trip advisor reviews about the hotels are good enough, may not be exactly too comfortable. Experts who have stayed at any of the above hotels to provide more insight.

Hi Ghodlur,

Me too planning for a week long holiday in Kerala in the last week of November (26th Nov to 04th Dec).

My itinerary looks like this ::

Mumbai > Kochi
Day 1:: Guruvayur temple Night stay at Kochi
Day 2:: Kochi tour
Day 3:: Kumarakom
Day 4:: Kumarakom
Day 5:: Varkala
Day 6:: Ponmudi and ponnumthuruthu Island
Day 7:: Kovalam
Day 8:: Trivandrum tour
Day 9:: Trivandrum > Mumbai

Could you please suggest , if I can add any more in the itinerary ? I am travelling with my 2 and 1/2 year old daughter and hence have tried to keep the travelling to the minimum and set up a leisurely pace.

Places I have excluded are ::
1. Munnar
2. Thekkady
3. Kanyakumari

I am yet to do the hotel bookings.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:50   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Mumbai > Kochi
Day 1:: Guruvayur temple Night stay at Kochi
Day 2:: Kochi tour
Can you explain the above? Land at Guruvayur, finish darshan and the head to Kochi?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:34   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Can you explain the above? Land at Guruvayur, finish darshan and the head to Kochi?
Land at Kochi around noon from Mumbai -> Proceed directly to Guruvayur temple (approx 2 hours from airport) -> Return to Kochi by dinner time same day.
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:47   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Land at Kochi around noon from Mumbai -> Proceed directly to Guruvayur temple (approx 2 hours from airport) -> Return to Kochi by dinner time same day.
Thats what I was suspecting. You may want to add margin to that. Because it all depends on the crowd in the evening and also how fast you get out of the airport and get on to the car.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 14:28   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Thats what I was suspecting. You may want to add margin to that. Because it all depends on the crowd in the evening and also how fast you get out of the airport and get on to the car.
Thanks buddy,

That is really helpful as I am trying to plan the trip as detailed as possible as I do not want any last moment surprises with my daughter in tow.

Thanks a lot again, please do suggest any more things if you have.

How are train schedules in Kerala, are they mostly on time ? I was looking up some info and found that Kochi (Ernakulam) - Kumarakom (Kottayam) is just 1.5 hours and Kottayam to Trivandrum is just under 4 hours by train, is it advisable to take the train in Kerala as we generally prefer train rides over road journeys ?

Regards
Dieseltuned

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 3rd October 2016 at 14:33. Reason: Added another query
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:34   #97
BHPian

Trains generally run on time and are more comfortable than road travel. Kerala has a very high density of traffic with very narrow and twisty roads, so Kochi-Kottayam and Kottayam-Trivandrum are better on trains. However, book at least the AC chair car in advance.
SajiNSalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 20:00   #98
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Need Advice on Kerala Tour

Quote:
Could you please suggest , if I can add any more in the itinerary ? I am travelling with my 2 and 1/2 year old daughter and hence have tried to keep the travelling to the minimum and set up a leisurely pace.
I am also new to the place, hence would not be able to advise correctly. But by information, I was told a complete day in Kochi is a waste. I would suggest complete Kochi on the day you land presuming that you are taking the morning flight. Second day,you can visit Guruvayoor and proceed to Kumarakom. 2 Days in Kumarakon is an overkill. Save that 1 day with a trip to Kanyakumari (if you havent visited). Day 8 plan Poovar island in the first half and Trivandrum city visit in the second. If you are taking the late evening flight from Trivandrum on day 9, then do the city sightseeing on that day. In either case keep half a day somewhere in between for shopping (invariably reqd since u are going with family)

The above is purely my personal opinion, experts can comment.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 16:01   #99
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Need Advice on Kerala Tour

A quick query to all experts. Need information on the following:
1) Elephant ride - where and how much
2) Kathakali and kalaripayuttu shows - where and how much
3) Buy spices - Where

Any information portal about the various entrance fees to the sight seeing spots? Would like to keep some cash handy.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 20:06   #100
BHPian

Ok guys,

Have come up with a plan with dates :: Need experts to refine it please ..

Need Advice on Kerala Tour-kerala-plan.png
Old 21st October 2016, 08:54   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
My Trip to Munnar has been finalised. I will be reaching on 3rd Oct by afternoon. Request help to plan my stay for 3 days. We will be there for 2 full days,i.e., 4th and 5th. So please help me plan local sight seeing on 3rd. Which are the places to visit on 4th and 5th?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Keep 1 day to visit these places are they are all on the same route:
1.Echo Point
2.Kundale Dam
3.Matupetty Dam & boating
4.Top Station (this is almost the end of this route and you can return after visiting here)

On the other side you have Eravikulam national park (usually very crowded, so plan the visit accordingly). This is on the Marayoor route and you will see the crowd if you take this route into Munnar

Also plan to visit the Kannan Devan Tea stores near their office inside the Munnar Town and other stores selling honey, spices, etc - good to just walk around the streets inside the town.
The Team Museum is also worth a visit, maybe on the evening of Day 1 or 2.

If you like veggie food, visit Saravana Bhavan inside the town, no relation to the "real" HSB Saravana Bhavan group, worth a visit nevertheless for simple, tasty food.

You can also refer several travelogues here on Team BHP including mine from 2011 here (Bangalore-Munnar-Bangalore in 4 days)

Have a great trip, Drive Safe
I had a great trip to Munnar. It was very hot every where we went, except for the Munnar town.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote