Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th September 2008, 15:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Coimbatore To Thekkady

Hi all,

Been so long since I started a thread that it took me sometime to figure it out !!

Planning to drive to Thekkady from Coimbatore and I'm just a little bit lost since its been quite sometime since I went on that route.

Proposed Route:

Coimbatore - Dharapuram - Otanchatram - Sembatti - Vathalagundu - Kambam - Thekkady.

Question is is there a road connect from Sembatti to Vathalagundu.

I've actually done it through Dindigul but that is a longer route.

Also any update on current route conditions between Dindigul and Thekkady?

Last edited by csentil : 29th September 2008 at 15:18.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 16:11   #2
BHPian

yes, there is a road connecting sembatti to Vatlagundu.it passes through Kannivadi.
Once you cross Oddanchatram, I think the deviation to Sembatti is within 3-5 kms (if my memory is correct)
There are some small construction work going on in thi stretch but this is the best way to go to Thekkadi (skipping Dindigul)
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 17:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Sembatti - Madurai road intersects the Dindigul - Vattalagundu highway, you will have to take a right at this junction to go towards Vattalagundu and then onwards to Theni - Cumbum - Kumily - Thekkady.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 13:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why not simply do the Coimbatore-Pollachi-Udumalipet-Palani-Ottanchatram route instead of going via Dharapuram - the direct and simplest route?

As others have mentioned, at Sembatti, if you turn right, you go to Kambam, to the left is Dindigul around 15 kms.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 13:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure the Cbe - Pollachi - Palani route is longer and there's more traffic in that sector.

All Coimbatore - Madurai buses takes Palladam - Dharapuram - Otanchatram - Sembatti - Kodai Road - Madurai. When I was studying in Madurai I used to take this particular route to Coimbatore. Remember the board in Sembatti with distance and direction towards Theni/Vatlagundu.

Thanks one and all for the suggestions. Will post details on the route once I'm back.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 19:05   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Coimbatore To Thekkady

I am planning to go from Madurai to Coimbatore. Whats the best route? Should I stick to NH7 / NH209 all through OR should I take shortcuts via Sembatti to reach Puduchatram/Oddanchatiram? Is it worth the pain?

Secondly, Is Dharapuram/Palladam better or should I stick to Udumalai route?
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 19:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
I am planning to go from Madurai to Coimbatore. Whats the best route? Should I stick to NH7 / NH209 all through OR should I take shortcuts via Sembatti to reach Puduchatram/Oddanchatiram? Is it worth the pain?

NH7/NH209 is where my vote goes to. I think its better as compared to Dharapuram. Lesser towns to by-pass.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 21:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post

Expect lots of traffic between Palani & Coimbatore. But still better than the route via Dharapuram.
No need to go via Sembatti.
NH209 ends in Dindigul bypass on NH7, proceed to Madurai thereafter without entering Dindigul town.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote