Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th September 2008, 18:38   #1
BHPian

Default Ahmedabad to Hyderabad

I plan to drive from Ahmedabad to Hyderabad on 25th October. I plan to take NH 8 to Mumbai and from there on the expressway to Pune and continue to Sholapur, Sangareddy and Hyderabad. Please advise if this is the best route and where do I exit NH-8 to by pass Mumbai to join Mumbai Pune expressway. Advise on aprox travel time and road conditions, suggestions are welcome. I plan to do the return route in about a week's time. Please advise.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 09:52   #2

The route to bypass Mumbai is

NH8 (Hotel Fountain Junction) - Ghodbunder - Thane- Airoli - Turbhe - NH4

There is one more route that goes via Thane-Mumbra-Taloje-Kalamboli-Pune Expressway. I avoid this route.

On NH8 towards Mumbai (as you cross over the Thane Creek Bridge) you will find a diversion to Thane via Ghodbunder. Just after the Thane Creek Bridge ends there is Fountain Hotel, it is very easily seen. Take a left at this junction and drive straight to hit Thane. Google coordinates for Fountain Hotel are (19.285091,72.904072)

As you hit Thane you will find a big junction that has NH3 cutting through via a flyover. Take a right at this junction to meet the Eastern Express Highway. Drive straight on this highway towards Mumbai, You will cross Thane, cross a toll naka and hit Mulund. Just as you cross the toll naka and about to hit Mulund there is an flyover. Take a right at the start of this flyover to hit the Goregaoan Mulund Link Road, this will take you to Airoli.

Drive straight on this road where it meets a T junction. At this T junction take a right turn and keep on driving straight on this road, you will pass Rabale, Ghansoli, Turbhe. At Turbhe end you will meet the NH4 which will take you to Pune.

On google map if you start from the co-ordinate for Fountain Hotel you can trace whole of the above mentioned route.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.

Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support Staff

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th September 2008 at 11:51. Reason: Font tags
akshayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 13:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

You can avoid coming to Bombay.
Turn off NH8 at Surat and take NH6 to Dhulia.
From Dhulia, follow NH3 (towards Nashik), exit after Malegaon, and go via Manmad to Shirdi, Ahmednagar, Beed to Tuljapur and join NH9 (coming from Pune), beyond Solapur at Umarga. From Umarga to Hyderabad it is NH9 via Homnabad, Zahirabad and Sangareddy.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 13:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
I plan to drive from Ahmedabad to Hyderabad on 25th October. I plan to take NH 8 to Mumbai and from there on the expressway to Pune and continue to Sholapur, Sangareddy and Hyderabad. Please advise if this is the best route and where do I exit NH-8 to by pass Mumbai to join Mumbai Pune expressway. Advise on aprox travel time and road conditions, suggestions are welcome. I plan to do the return route in about a week's time. Please advise.
Hai Sridhaga,

I did the trip in reverse, on my way to Kerala I went thro Mumbai and came back thro. Hyderabad, Aurangabad to Ahmedabad this June. So if you see dates 14th to 16th and back track, you'd get an idea of the route and timings.

Attaching herewith the excel sheet, would suggest stop @ Aurangabad too, like I did. This, I think is the shortast route.

If you need exact details, you can PM me or call me 09377203000. Tnx.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=====
Attached Files
File Type: xls Abad-clt-hyd- aur- jun08.xls (49.0 KB, 625 views)
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 08:37   #5
BHPian

Akshayo, HVKumar and Ramky, All thank you for your suggestions. The excel made by Ramky carries good info. It's helping me in the planning.
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 10:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Akshayo, HVKumar and Ramky, All thank you for your suggestions. The excel made by Ramky carries good info. It's helping me in the planning.
Srdhga,

What I told you on the phone about fastest, I calculated yesterday, you'd be faster thro the Dhule, Aurangabad, Naldurg section.

Thro. Mumbai, you'd get slowed down bypassing Mumbai and what I heard the Pune-Hyderabad section was not good in June, slow you down a lot.

Anybody has latest update on the Pune-Hyderabad section?

For stopover, youd have to stay either at Aurangabad or Pune, I have a feeling Auranagabad would be more economic.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 1st October 2008 at 10:25.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 23:35   #7
BHPian

I am posting a related query. I have to travel from Surat to Shirdi and there seem to be three routes. One is via Nasik, and two are via Navapur. The latter again have two options; one via Pimpalner and the other via Sakri. I am a conservative driver in a Ford Fusion who likes to stay between 80-90 km on four lane roads, so smaller roads will take more time. So which of these routes is best if I have to leave Surat at say 0630 and reach Shirdi before noon. I also have to proceed to Pune thereafter to reach before 5 pm!
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 09:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

The NH6 from Surat to Dhule is very good, via Navapur.
Once you reach NH3 outside Dhule, take the NH3 (towards Nashik) till Malegaon.
At the end of the Malegaon bypass (Nashik end), you will see the left turn pointing to Manmad/Shirdi. This is an optimal route to take.

Distance coordinates on NH3:
Intersection with NH6, Dhule, 0 kms
Malegaon Bypass beginning, 41 kms
Malegaon bypass end, where you turn left, 12 kms
Manmad, 35 kms
Shirdi, 45 kms
Old 11th March 2010, 09:43   #9
BHPian

Thanks for your reply. This route comes to about 370 km from Surat via Dhulia to Shirdi. The state highway routes seem to be between 315 to 320 km via either Sakri or Pimpalner. The former is fifty km more. This is the quandary that I find myself in!
Old 11th March 2010, 09:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

The first principle I follow while driving long distances on Indian highways is to take the optimal route, not the shortest. On the route I have indicated, the NH6 is a very good road via Navapur and it is not worth considering any other routes. You also have the advantage of a superb 4-lane highway between Dhule and Malegaon, and a well-trodden road from there onwards.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:34   #11
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the clarification. I will get back to you after I make the trip! I agree smaller roads in India are unreliable and sub optimal. In fact these roads are still unmarked in the India Road map based on the Ministry of Surface transport brought out by Eicher. However these routes are suggested when one makes a search on google maps. Thanks once again and if I use any other route I will send my feedback on this thread for sure.
Old 16th March 2010, 14:49   #12
BHPian

Well, from Surat I took a shorter route to exit town and left via Sachin to join the Highway at Palsana. Then turned roight towards Valsad and from here turned left for Dharmapur (about 100 km 4 lane road). This took me through Peth to asik (total about 250 km). From Nasik I took the Pune road (28 km) and turned left at Sinnar fom where Shirdi is 90 km.

The road from Surat to Dharmapur is good NH and the road from Dharampur to Nasik is a good two lane road with few villages and little truck traffic. Nasik to Sinnar was a highway and then a good two lane road to Shirdi. It took me six hrs to do this stretch and about 340 km. with two minor halts of not more than 20 min in all.
Old 30th June 2010, 18:15   #13

Hi, i am planning to drive from jamnagar to hyderabad next week. I plan to take the route hvkumar has suggested. would like to know road conditions, ghat sections and suggested places for halt. I intend making two halts, first at Baroda and have not decided on the second one. I drive about 500 kms a day. I would be travelling in a wagon r.
blackstallion27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2010, 22:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Road conditions in Gujarat are good and should be OK in Maharashtra too. You will encounter ghat sections around Dhulia. From Jamnagar, you can easily make it beyond Baroda on Day 1 and target either Dhulia or Aurangabad. If you mange to reach Aurangabad, you can reach Hyderabad at end of Day 2. You can make max speeds on Day 1, being some fast highways, and easily cover more than 500 kms.
Old 1st July 2010, 18:37   #15

thank you, for your suggestion, will try and hit dhulia or aurangabad on day 1.
blackstallion27 is offline   Reply With Quote