Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 1st October 2008, 22:08   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Mumbai-Alibaug! Route and Accomodation?

We're planning to drive down to Alibaug next weekend and would need some help on the route and accomodation. Planning to leave at around 12 PM on 11th (Saturday) and spend the rest of the day and Sunday roaming about.
  • Want to know what would be the best route to take?
  • What are the places to visit in Alibaug? I've heard that there are a couple of beaches in Alibaug. Anything other than beaches?
  • Accomodation for 5 - We would need to have accomodation mainly to stuff our baggage and spend the night. So we're not looking at an expensive hotel or something. Just any hotel with good food and a comfortable a/c room. Hotel Names/Contacts and Tariffs would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 14:23   #2
BHPian

Hey V12, coincidence! I'm planning a trip to Alibaug on the same day. As for the route, I don't know the names of the highways/roads. It is more of a memory route for me. The route I'm planning to take is:
  • Head to Panvel
  • After Panvel city, road bifurcates - one towards Pune (NH4) and one towards Goa. Take the Goa road (NH17).
  • After a distance, there will be another Left for Goa, going straight takes you to Alibaug. You will reach a small bridge (toll) and ISPAT industries after that. The road to Alibaug further is pretty much straight.
Besides Kashid beach, you could visit Revadanda Beach, which is about 30kms further south. It is cleaner, quieter and more scenic. There is also a famous temple further south, forgot the name. If you're in the mood, you could visit Murud-Janjira, about 50kms (I think) from Alibaug.

I have seen plenty of decent (and not too expensive) hotels in Alibaug. We're planning to stay at RCF quarters, so don't know about the hotels first hand.

Wishing you a great trip!

Cheers!
DueLLeR
DueLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 02:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
After a distance, there will be another Left for Goa, going straight takes you to Alibaug.
This place is called Vadkhal Naka.

Quote:
Want to know what would be the best route to take?
Mumbai - Panvel - Pen - Vadkhal Naka - Alibaug

Quote:
What are the places to visit in Alibaug?
Mandwa and Kihim, Birla Temple (visit in evening), Kankeshwar (visit in early morning).

Enjoy cheers:
DarkEraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008, 08:54   #4
BHPian

Hi dueller and V12
If at all you go upto murud, you must eat at "patil khanaval". when in alibaug we always go up to murud just to eat at this place. Just amazing sea food with mouth watering konkan style preparation. Rates are damn cheap. location is just opposite murud beach. it's slightly inside from main beach road down a narrow lane but just inquire it's famous place, anyone should guide you easily. sitting arrangement is in open, under coconut trees.
If you are group of friends who can share a room i suggest you take a single room with extra bedding at sunglow resort just outside alibaug beach. Hotel is very very convinient and clean. or if you are a bit adventures then you can travel further west towards mandwa to kihim beach. MTDC resort at kihim has tents although i don't like the kihim beach it's too muddy.

before going to beach on the way you can see many homely food joints. you pay a small token advance and they will prepare whatever you wish to eat. chicken mutton or fish at less then hotel rates. so after having a dip in the sea you can eat to hearts content.
Kunkeshwar temple you can visit in the morning its a moderate climb. but the air is very crisp and clear you won't feel any difficulty in climbing up the incline.
enjoy and do write in your experience.
regards
zipzapzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 16:35   #5

Hi,

Yesterday I visited Alibaug & Nagaon with my family in our Sx4. Before embarking upon the journey I had looked up certain information resources about travelling to / fro Alibaug.

Now I want to share my experiences & more importantly - the route from Vashi to Alibaug.

Vashi to Alibug journey starts / can start with Mumbai-Pune express highway.

1) Get on to the Vashi express highway
2) Drive until Panvel arrives & from there on there are 2 options to travel:-
a: You can opt to drive on express way untill Vadhkal Toll Naka arrives
- Take immediate left to reach the Panvel-Pen road
OR
- Take Khapoli exit (bylane leaving express way 100 mts from toll naka) to reach the Panvel-Pen road
Anadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 23:07   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai-Alibaug! Route and Accomodation?

Discussing more, so we have best Mumbai-Alibaug route.

Panvel city offers unwanted traffic - cant we find better route?

I propose, based on this map
1. Get onto Mumbai-Pune expressway
2. Mumbai-Pune expressway exit at Shedung.
3. After toll, right onto NH4, back towards Panvel
4. Left onto SH66 or NH17, towards Karnala Bird Sanctuary, and Goa
5. Pass-thru Pen, straight, onto Alibaug Road
6. Vadhkal toll naka, then straight into Alibaug

Last edited by amitsingh08 : 10th September 2012 at 23:08. Reason: spelling correction
amitsingh08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 23:33   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post
Discussing more, so we have best Mumbai-Alibaug route.

Panvel city offers unwanted traffic - cant we find better route?

I propose, based on this map
1. Get onto Mumbai-Pune expressway
2. Mumbai-Pune expressway exit at Shedung.
3. After toll, right onto NH4, back towards Panvel
4. Left onto SH66 or NH17, towards Karnala Bird Sanctuary, and Goa
5. Pass-thru Pen, straight, onto Alibaug Road
6. Vadhkal toll naka, then straight into Alibaug
That is the most convoluted and long way one can go. To avoid panvel city take a right below the expressway (after mcdonalds). Take the panvel bypass (rs 25 toll) and you will reach the junction with NH 17 towards Karnala. Going to shedung is a waste of time and fuel
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 10:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
To avoid panvel city take a right below the expressway (after mcdonalds). Take the panvel bypass (rs 25 toll) and you will reach the junction with NH 17 towards Karnala.
Is this the route your're sharing?
Old 11th September 2012, 10:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post
Is this the route your're sharing?
Yes. It is a very standard route.
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2012, 10:44   #10
BHPian

Any JNPT experts among us? I'm considering another short route via JNPT. Good looking route on map, may be deceptive How are conditions on ground? E.g. pot holes, truck check nakas?
Old 9th March 2013, 21:17   #11

This morning I drove from Mumbai to Alibaug; here is an update on the route / conditions.

Getting to Panvel is often the toughest part of driving out of Mumbai, and today was no different. It took me nearly 70 minutes to cover the 35km to the Panvel round-about. The construction of a fly-over at Vashi caused a 15 minutes delay; it might have been a better idea to use the Palm Beach road instead.

At the Panvel circle, I took the exit to JNPT Road - this helps avoid the traffic and chaos of Panvel. About 10km long, this road helps you increase the average speed of the journey (at a toll cost of Rs 25). Keep looking for signs to Goa, and you should be fine.

As we enter the Goa highway, it is quite clear that finally this road is being widened to a 4-laner. Even so, I could maintain decent speeds on the next 7km stretch as we passed Vithal Kamat's, a popular spot for a snack or meal. We did not stop there, and a couple of km later crossed Karnala Bird Sanctuary. I have always wanted to visit Karnala but never get around to stopping there. Maybe on my return journey tomorrow. Also, note that the four-laning work ended near Kamat's and I am not sure there is any plan to widen the ghat-like road near Karnala.

At about 15km from Panvel circle, there is another toll of Rs 15. The next 15-18km till Vadhkal naka can be quite painful because of the slightly bad road condition and also traffic - lots of autos and two-wheelers competing with trucks and buses; overtaking can be quite a challenge. Parts of this stretch are also undergoing widening works. At Vadhkal Naka, keep going straight towards Alibaug (turning left goes towards Goa). There is another toll booth (Dharamtar; Rs 10) a couple of km later (45km; 60min from Panvel circle). We are in the final 20km to Alibaug now, and cross Poinad a few minutes later. The stretch from Poinad to Alibaug is my favourite; lots of winding roads and quite picturesque.

I reached my destination - Radisson Spa & Resort in 2hrs 45mins, having covered about 101km (66km from Panvel circle).
pallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 22:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi - wanted to check the state of this route currently - what's the best way to get to Alibaug & how much time it would take to reach from Mulund. Is "patil khanaval" still a good place to eat?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 16:28   #13
BHPian

Hello Friends

Driving to Kashid from Kalyan(Mumbai). The shortest route is Kalyan-Panvel-Pen-Poynad-Alibaug- Kashid (124kms, driving time 3.48hrs) However, general opinion says the road conditions are pretty bad.

Alternate route is Kalyan to Khopoli(Express way) - Roha(Khopoli-Pali road)- Kashid(168kms, driving time 3.46hrs)

Time and distance courtesy Google maps.

How is the road and traffic condition on the second route? Driving with family. Please comment.

Regards
Ashok
Ashokkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 23:01   #14
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Going to go to Alibaug on Saturday. Which is the best route to take? The usual Mumbai-Goa highway or take Pune expressway which is the longer route. I'm anticipating lots of traffic since its a long weekend!
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 15:27   #15
BHPian

Any suggestions on route for Mumbai Alibaug? Wanted to avoid bad roads and traffic
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote