Team-BHP - Current status of Amboli Ghat - SH135
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Current status of Amboli Ghat - SH135 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/46905-current-status-amboli-ghat-sh135.html)

Friends,

Appreciate if anybody can provide latest status of road section from Nipani to Sawantwadi via Ajra.

Planning to do the trip month end

Thks

Very good except for some 10-15 kms patchy roads between Nippani and Ajra.

Amboli Ghat was good when I used it in August. The stretch between Nippani and Ajra / Sankeshwar and Ajra was poor. I was careful on this stretch. A Hyundai Accent which overtook me was doing some serious speeds. Within seconds he was out of sight. A few minutes later I saw this guy parked at the side of the road. Something had broken and fallen off his car.

DEAR FRIEND,
From Nipani/Sankeshwar to Ajra, as Aditya pointed out, the stretch is patchy. Between Ajra and Amboli, the stretch is patchy.
Don't worry about these patches, enjoy the nature after Ajra. Its green everywhere with fog and waterfalls. Drive slowly.

Amboli ghat stretch is great, done it just yesterday on my way back from Goa to Hyderabad.

But as others pointed out the approach to Amboli ghat from the Nippani/Ajra side is bit patchy but I still did manage about 70 kmph on my Royal Enfield.

Cheers,
Govind

Amboli ghat roads from Sawantwadi till Belgaum is splendid. I did it on 5th October. It was pouring rain, and the roads were foggy. But just loved the drive. Should not miss this road.

Thanks to those who responded. I am reading that people are now advising Kolhapur-Phondaghat-Kankavli to reach Goa. Is this route better than Nipani-Ajar-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa?

Route-1 scenic + Safe + good road surface
Route-2 scenic + safe + good road surface

What would be the choice?

Route 2 is preferred.

Affirm. Route 2 aka Nipani-Ajar-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa is *the* route.

There is a variation that I do depending on the Nipani-Uttur-Ajra route conditon. I drive down from Nipani to Sankeshawar toward Bangalore on NH4 and take the Nipani-Sankeshwar-Gadhinlaj-Ajra.

Kolhapur-Phondaghat-Kankavli one has to cut through Kolhapur and depending on the time of the day that can be painfully slow.

Belgaum-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa route is good except for a ew patches of bd roads. I did this route y'day presently in Goa. From Belgaum it is 140 kms and you cand do this in 3 hrs. Very scenic.

The route is a very good drive. Patchy, but average speed of 60+ is easily possible (including the hilly section).
The scenery is worth the few bad patches on the way.

Route-1 is much safer and shorter than Route-2.

Route-2 is more scenic than Route-1

IMO, try both :)

One suggestion:

You can use Route-1 to reach Savantwadi and then visit Amboli. You may like to stay there in MTDC Hotel

DarkEraser can you please expand (the safety concern) on the statement "Route-1 is much safer and shorter than Route-2"

I have been doing route 2 since last 3 yrs but was never worried about any safety concerns on this strech.

I am NOT saying that route 2 isn't safe. It is safe. But if there is fog, new person may find it difficult to drive.

route 2 is safe but route 1 is more safer. Also route 1 is shorter than route 2. That's it. Not a big deal for experienced drivers like you :)