Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th October 2008, 12:59   #1

Default India to nepal

hi,

I am planning to leave for kathmandu-nepal on the 10th i.e.day after tomorrow.I stay in hyderabad and so i have planned to load my bike in the train till gorakhpur and then continue on the bike from gorakhpur to kathmandu.
I would really appreciate it if anyone can please let me know

-where i can find a proper road map(have searched mapmyindia.com and culdnt find a inter-national routemap as it limits itself to india and have searched googlemaps but couldnt find the precise route)

-the quality of roads

-estimated travel time from gorakhpur

regards

shaf
innocentdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 13:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Route 4: Birganj, Narayani Zone, Nepal, from Raxaul, Purbi Champaran District, Bihar, India

The large Indian town is again Gorakhpur. From Gorakhpur, drive on NH28 via Kushinagar 55 kms, Gopalganj 60, Barauli , Pipra Kothi 30, Motihari 15, Sagauli 25, Ramgarha to Raxaul 30, the last Indian town, and enter Nepal at Birganj. From Birganj, there is a direct highway to Kathmandu.

I think it is around 3-5 hour drive from the Indian border town.

Quality of roads in Nepal is supposed to be great.

Buy yourself a road map of Nepal, you get TTK version in our book-stores

Outlook Traveller has also published a full guide on Nepal, has routes, maps and useful info.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 01:14   #3

hi,
thanx a lot for the route information that you have provided for kathmandu.
i would be really thankfull if you can help me provide info if i can take my bike along with me to nepal or do i need any sort of permission or are there any charges for the same.
thanx again.
innocentdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 09:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Recycled gyan from multiple sources:
Nothing man, just take your ORIGINAL RC with you. ORIGINAL DL.

Else no go. If its a temp regn, that won't work either. Just pay some 90 nepali rupees per day that you are planning to stay. Add in one/two extra days just to be sure. Tank up well in Gorakhpur - the pumps are few/far between in nepal from what i've been told.

You just budget about 1-2 hours at the checkpoint, and figure out a place to stay for day 1 gorakhpur-border crossing would itself take several hours.

PM me, and I'll share the email of a gent whose done that trip.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 23:25   #5
BHPian

Friend
You can try this as well :
Kolkata(Sealdah)->Siliguri [by train]
Siliguri->Naxalbari->Panitanki [by road:not the best of roads,especially the Naxalbari-Panitanki stretch]
From Panitanki you cross a bridge on river Mechi (halfway through the bridge is the border actually,but checkposts are on either side) and you enter Nepal.Roads are fantastic in Nepal,allegedly made with assistance from French government.The first small town after border crossing is Kakarbhitta.Indian currency is very much accepted here but usually 1 Re is more than 1 Nepali Taka (don't know the rate now).The road is called Mahendra Highway which meets Tribhuvan Highway later on.Time to take Kathmandu would be around 12 to 16 hours depending upon current road conditions.

Hope this helps.

I did this route in 1999 driving a Maruti 800 !!
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 07:37   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

1.00 INR

=

1.57961 NPR

XE - Full Universal Currency Converter says so

and wasnt the road made by half indian, half USSR money. google tells so!

the other thing i was told, is get people to agree for bargains on paper/clearly. The junta there is nice but with tourists, one switches constantly between nepali and indian rupees. this nonsense is quite an irritating thing, again so i've been told
Old 10th October 2008, 21:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
1.00 INR
=
1.57961 NPR

XE - Full Universal Currency Converter says so

and wasnt the road made by half indian, half USSR money. google tells so!

the other thing i was told, is get people to agree for bargains on paper/clearly. The junta there is nice but with tourists, one switches constantly between nepali and indian rupees. this nonsense is quite an irritating thing, again so i've been told
I think innocentdevil has already left for Nepal !
ultimatechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 01:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

he's promised to log on to print the maps I sent just at the time his train was leaving
Old 16th October 2008, 10:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

I like the innocentdevil approach. You send a route query four days prior to leaving and then just leave !!! lol
I have travelled via both Ruxaul and Kakarbhitta (by bus though) and think Kakarbhitta is a better bet.
Bihar-Nepal border was flooded a few weeks ago, though further east of Motihari. I hope he reaches safe and sound.
Sudipto
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 02:08   #10
BHPian

Warning:
Do not visit Nepal with INR 500 and INR 1000 currency notes. AFAIK, it's illegal in Nepal.
DarkEraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 12:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEraser View Post
Warning:
Do not visit Nepal with INR 500 and INR 1000 currency notes. AFAIK, it's illegal in Nepal.
i am basically from nepal. the 500 and 1000 notes are not illegal in nepal but since fake indian notes are common there, people dont accept such bigger notes. you can carry them and get it changed in the sbi at durbarmarg, kathmandu or any other bigger store on the border cities like birgunj, bhairahawa etc.which route are you talking about? i go home via gorakhpur. the route is nagpur-gorakhpur(train), gorakhpur-sunauli(bus/sumo), gorakhpur-bhairahawa(bus- 4km), bhairahawa-kathmandu(bus- around 250 km).the bhairahawa kathmandu highway is extremely good for driving or riding.i personally would prefer a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Recycled gyan from multiple sources:
Nothing man, just take your ORIGINAL RC with you. ORIGINAL DL.

Else no go. If its a temp regn, that won't work either. Just pay some 90 nepali rupees per day that you are planning to stay. Add in one/two extra days just to be sure. Tank up well in Gorakhpur - the pumps are few/far between in nepal from what i've been told.

You just budget about 1-2 hours at the checkpoint, and figure out a place to stay for day 1 gorakhpur-border crossing would itself take several hours.

PM me, and I'll share the email of a gent whose done that trip.
we have plenty of petrol pumps now between gorakhpur and kathmandu in nepal. no problems in that.and regarding the paperwork, they charge a minimum charge per day you keep your vehicle in nepal.even if you return late its not all that rigid.you will just have to pay the extra money though.kathmandu is a beautiful place to visit.ask if you have any queries regarding place of stay, to visit, distance and stuff. i would be glad to answer. and let me clear the air. the roads are awesome there.so dont worry about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Route 4: Birganj, Narayani Zone, Nepal, from Raxaul, Purbi Champaran District, Bihar, India

The large Indian town is again Gorakhpur. From Gorakhpur, drive on NH28 via Kushinagar 55 kms, Gopalganj 60, Barauli , Pipra Kothi 30, Motihari 15, Sagauli 25, Ramgarha to Raxaul 30, the last Indian town, and enter Nepal at Birganj. From Birganj, there is a direct highway to Kathmandu.

I think it is around 3-5 hour drive from the Indian border town.

Quality of roads in Nepal is supposed to be great.

Buy yourself a road map of Nepal, you get TTK version in our book-stores

Outlook Traveller has also published a full guide on Nepal, has routes, maps and useful info.
from gorakhpur, you dont have to enter nepal through birgunj. why go east when kathmandu is straight up from gorakhpur. go to sunauli which is 93 km from gorakhpur. you will get state buses as well as private jeeps for 80 rs or so. that will take a couple of hours. then go to bhairahawa from sunauli which is 4 km. from there you go straight to kathmandu through butwal(30km), chitwan(120 km), mugling(150km), naubise(225km), to kathmandu(250km). all the distances are from bhairahawa which is also called as siddharthanagar.

PM me guys if you have further queries. sorry for the multiple posts moderators. attach them if you want

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd November 2008 at 02:35. Reason: Posts merged. Please learn to use the MULTIQUOTE button. Thanks.
pulsarmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 19:59   #12
BHPian

Default Re: India to nepal

My friend is driving from hyd-nag-jab-allahabad-ghorakpur-nepal on 15th of this month.
please give us your suggestions etc.
cheers!
ravi
srimath is offline   Reply With Quote