Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2008, 15:37   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Gurgaon to Dhaka

I have some plans in a very nascent stage, to do the above route sometime in December '08. I believe one has to go via Kolkata and there are two routes to Kolkata - one via Bulandshahar, Kanpur etc. and the other via Bareilly Lko. The latter is a longer but safer route I presume and the roads too are good except for the Hapur - Moradabad section.

Secondly to Dhaka, does one have to go via Kolkata or is there any other route as well. Some details would be welcome including that of if the India registered vehicle can be taken across the border and how? Is a visa required to travel to Bangladesh or is it exempt for SAARC countries.

Basically is it as easy as to cross into Nepal or involves lot of paperwork & hassle?

Thanks in advance...
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 15:56   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I have some plans in a very nascent stage, to do the above route sometime in December '08. I believe one has to go via Kolkata and there are two routes to Kolkata - one via Bulandshahar, Kanpur etc. and the other via Bareilly Lko. The latter is a longer but safer route I presume and the roads too are good except for the Hapur - Moradabad section.

Secondly to Dhaka, does one have to go via Kolkata or is there any other route as well. Some details would be welcome including that of if the India registered vehicle can be taken across the border and how? Is a visa required to travel to Bangladesh or is it exempt for SAARC countries.

Basically is it as easy as to cross into Nepal or involves lot of paperwork & hassle?

Thanks in advance...
Guruji, the best route to Kanpur is via Agra. Take the Mathura Road to Agra, and then further to Kanpur. Both the roads you have mentioned are in extremely bad condition and aren't recommended.

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 14th October 2008 at 16:10.
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 15:58   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Basically is it as easy as to cross into Nepal or involves lot of paperwork & hassle?
No offense to anyone but my experience with B'desh Visas has been that they try & make it as difficult for you as possible. During the course of my visits to Dhaka in the past three years or so, I have very rarely been given multiple entry Visas - have had to go through the same bureaucratic bull each time.

So don't expect it to be easy access by road. Just curious - why Dhaka?????
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 16:02   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default

What happened to South India road trip plan ?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 16:10   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
What happened to South India road trip plan ?
He can't cross over to Colombo by road
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 16:13   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Whatever you do, please do not finish this in 35 hours (with or without hallucinations).
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 16:15   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Torn between relations - South India from my side and Dhaka from wife's side. Now don't get ideas, I didn't marry a Bong. She is a Rajput from Jodhpur.

Her sister is relocating to Dhaka. She came back from Dhaka on Sunday and this morning recounted stories (I was hoping it would be horror stories) from that place. They have a big house there and her husband drives a Nissan. Lots of seafood, fish etc., .....ssslluuuuurrrrp.

I've put a spanner of sorts saying if I go, I'll take the road route. If it works then maybe or else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
No offense to anyone but my experience with B'desh Visas has been that they try & make it as difficult for you as possible. During the course of my visits to Dhaka in the past three years or so, I have very rarely been given multiple entry Visas - have had to go through the same bureaucratic bull each time.

So don't expect it to be easy access by road. Just curious - why Dhaka?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
What happened to South India road trip plan ?
And why not???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Whatever you do, please do not finish this in 35 hours (with or without hallucinations).

Last edited by gd1418 : 14th October 2008 at 16:17.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 16:21   #8
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Guruji!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Whatever you do, please do not finish this in 35 hours (with or without hallucinations).
Somebody get me an ambulance, please!

Guruji, why all of a sudden? Change in plans? Bandhavgarh and South India is boring now? Or you want to shoot some exotic, unfamiliar birds? Or Behenji's punishment for attending the official late evening meetings? LOL!!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 16:27   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Zaki, I explained the reason in the above post. Exotic birds have always brought out the best in me.. Actually after seeing the photographs posted by 'ganjawaala', Behenji is longing to meet you and wants me to inform her of the next meet. What do you say??

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Guruji, why all of a sudden? Change in plans? Bandhavgarh and South India is boring now? Or you want to shoot some exotic, unfamiliar birds? Or Behenji's punishment for attending the official late evening meetings? LOL!!
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 17:39   #10
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Ooi ma!
I'm outta Delhi. I want to be alive.

Didn't see that post, Guruji.

So, it's Dhaka plus South India. You're welcome.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 23:07   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dera Bassi, Hyd
Posts: 65
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
No offense to anyone but my experience with B'desh Visas has been that they try & make it as difficult for you as possible. During the course of my visits to Dhaka in the past three years or so, I have very rarely been given multiple entry Visas - have had to go through the same bureaucratic bull each time.

So don't expect it to be easy access by road. Just curious - why Dhaka?????
With respect to my erstwhile country people, getting a Bangladesh visa is the easiest thing possible. There are fixed rates for business visas and ordinary (tourist) visas, and the rates are higher for multiple-entry.

In Delhi, last year, the rate was Rs. 5,000.00 for a single entry business visa. I don't know if inflation has taken its toll.

All payments strictly in cash please.
bonobashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2008, 10:58   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonobashi View Post
In Delhi, last year, the rate was Rs. 5,000.00 for a single entry business visa. I don't know if inflation has taken its toll.

All payments strictly in cash please.
Yeah I know, but I work for a company where we do not take the unethical route for Business Visas. Go the usual Embassy route & they make it as much of a bureaucratic bungle as possible.

But this would be useful information for GD if he wishes to shell out extra money to visit Dhaka
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 09:32   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

While I thank all for some valuable inputs, I'm once again mentioning a part of my OP that went unanswered. Has anybody here driven to Dhaka/Bangladesh? If yes, the experience in organising the logistics would be of great help to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Some details would be welcome including that of if the India registered vehicle can be taken across the border and how? Is a visa required to travel to Bangladesh or is it exempt for SAARC countries.

Basically is it as easy as to cross into Nepal or involves lot of paperwork & hassle?

Thanks in advance...
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 11:20   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,294
Thanked: 258 Times
Default

There is only one sensible option for coming to Calcutta from Gurgaon. The GQ/NH2. Night one should be in Benares (Faridabad, Agra, Ettawah, Kanpur, Allahabad, Benares - there is a thread on this section by a doctor, I think docabhijeet is his name). Night two is Kolkata (you can see my log for this section in another thread). Night three is in Dhaka. It takes eight hours approximately - Kolkata-Dhaka, that is. Kolkata to the Petrapole border might not be a very pleasant drive, what with lots of trucks parked on the road for transhipment.
If you are really keen to avoid Kolkata there are ways. Through north-Bengal. But it might add a few more days to your total travel plan. I would suggest you avoid entering metropolitan Calcutta and spend the night nearer the border. The airport area would suit you actually.
The B'desh embassy should be able to tell you about the precise rule for taking your private car there. There is an overnight bus service between Kolkata to Dhaka.
After you finalise everything and get the visa I will ask the drivers for a precise report about the road condition.
No. Entering Bangladesh for an Indian is not as easy as it is in Nepal. Passport/visa is must (unlike Nepal/Bhutan). It is not as tough as Pakistan but fairly tough. But relations are improving. They are plying buses and trains etc now. So, yes paperwork would be involved but it's not a fortress. I haven't gone there personally but have scores of friends who have gone, none driving though.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 16th October 2008 at 11:25.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2008, 12:27   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dera Bassi, Hyd
Posts: 65
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Yeah I know, but I work for a company where we do not take the unethical route for Business Visas. Go the usual Embassy route & they make it as much of a bureaucratic bungle as possible.

But this would be useful information for GD if he wishes to shell out extra money to visit Dhaka
Hmmm. Ethics rears its ugly head!

There is another way (aren't there always?). The Arthashastra mentions Daan, Saam, Danda and Bheda. No need to go to Danda and Bheda - enough of that already, with or without the politicians that we have on either side. If Daan is not a feasible route (jokes aside, I don't hold with it personally), we can do Saam.

Unfortunately, while I can work it, I think, using old connections, I can go that route only in Calcutta, and only if GD is prepared to spend a day or two camped in Calcutta. A lot of groundwork is involved. It's straight, no irregular payments, or at least, this way of proceeding doesn't hinge on such payments.

If it's very important, GD, and other routes dry up, I can talk to you about it on PM. No guarantees; best effort only.

bonobashi
bonobashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
greetings from Dhaka bdcarz Introduce yourself 5 26th December 2005 11:36
Merc SL65, Porsche Cayenne's in Dhaka, Bangladesh rezwan The International Automotive Scene 12 3rd November 2005 22:09
Pics: my 05 Toyota Land cruiser in Dhaka rezwan The International Automotive Scene 32 12th June 2005 13:40
From Dhaka, Again ahmad Introduce yourself 18 11th March 2005 21:29
From Dhaka, Bangladesh chargerman Introduce yourself 9 28th August 2004 19:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks