Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread

Old 15th March 2011, 20:42   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Kolkata to Puri mid november,guidance please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
7-8 hours maximum with time for food and other things,and never pushing the throttle too hard.
Very much correct. Just returned from Puri about a couple of hours earlier. Started from Swagadwar, Puri at 9 O'clock in the morning and reached Esplanade, Calcutta at half past five at the evening. But both my car (Tata Indigo-GLX) and me are old (6 years and 49 years, respectively). Any young soul with a newer or a more powerful car may safely and comfortably make this trip in less than eight hours.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:11   #32
BHPian

Talking Re: Kolkata to Puri (Regular Updates)

A few updates which I like to point out here (that is why I changed the thread heading as well):

Kona expressway is a little better than before.Did a cruise in a Chevy Cruze LTZ 2 days back

Toll collection booths at regular intervals remains as before (except between Balasore and Bhadrak,i.e the still unfinished sector) Total toll for one way is about Rs. 190/-

Still no sign of the infamous Jaleshwar inter-state toll collection,but now a new and wretched thing has started to happen at Jaleshwar itself.
Truck parking in thousands,literally and bang on the highway,absolutely obstructing the way.You would be horrified to find thousands of (I counted 887!) different sized trucks parked right in the middle of the road from Kolkata to Puri. Most truckers are playing cards or simply snoozing below the behemoths and there is absolutely no way any car can pass through the mayhem.One has to get on the other side of the highway,with heavy vehicles coming head-on,pass the entire stretch like that,then again cross-over to the correct side. There is a toll plaza at the border, but its only for trucks, and the personnel manning the booths are chatting their time away to glory, without even looking at the obvious trouble of the small cars.

Then onwards,roads are again smooth and brilliant till Balasore.Quite a stretch of Balasore is back to its old self with only dirt and loose gravel instead of roads,as well as heavy truck traffic at Balasore. Few bridges are complete more or less, with roadworks going on in others.
Balasore is basically a transit point for trucks coming from Paradip port and going about to their respective destinations and that is why it is always so congested.It would turn out to be a bigger sore,when a huge port which is being built by the Odisha government finally see the light of the day.This post is the famed Dhamra port which will handle almost entire cargo of the Eastern India.

Cuttack and BBSR continue to be a driver's nightmare with endless two-wheelers throughout the day jostling for space in the narrow stretch of the highway. Most of the GQ has been made,atleast in Eastern India,where major cities or towns have been by-passed.But the GQ goes right through the middle of the town in both Cuttack and BBSR,and endless parking on the roads,too many two-wheelers,badly managed traffic adds up the the long distance traveller's woes as it all eats up heavily into the total traveling time.

The stretch between BBSR and Puri are being widened. Work has started way back in November last year (especially on the BBSR part), but now loads of dumpers and tractor trailers full of mud keep this road congested as well as difficult.

Close to Puri roads and traffic are the same as was two years before.

The above observations were made by yours truly in the second week of April 2011, and I am going again tomorrow!

Last time we started at 5.00am on the dot from Kolkata and reached our hotel at Puri at 2.18pm,with stops for food and chai and stuff. My odo showed 35,702 Kms when I started and was 36,196 Kms when I reached there.

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 22nd May 2011 at 14:12.
Old 27th May 2011, 16:50   #33
BHPian

Smile Current update as on 26/05/2011

I went to Puri again by road ( in my sister's Innova this time). I came back last night, and here are my observations:(Hope this helps everybody planning to travel to Puri,by road in this summer)

Kona - Better than before, with occasional rough patches. Early morning truck traffic is limited.
Upto Haldia Junction - Usual truck traffic with smooth passage through the Kolaghat bridge
Upto Belda,bypassing Panskura,Kharagpur - Good roads with light traffic,mostly long-haul trucks. Keep an eye for intersections especially when going through small hamlets.
Upto Jaleshwar - Good concrete roads,but quite a few broken patches. One or two really big craters on the surface where a high speed car can have a nasty jolt, with possibility of steel rims getting bent, if you hit the craters hard at high speed. Small bridges between long concrete stretches have badly maintained metallic surface.
The endless truck parking right on the highway remains. Again we crossed over to the opposite side and managed to extricate ourselves at Jaleshwar.We complained at the toll booth at Jaleshwar, and the person gave us a NHAI phone number to make a formal complaint. We called up and threatened the man over phone that after going back to Kolkata, we will lodge a PIL in Kolkata High Court and also make NHAI a party to the case ( This was done by my BIL,who is an advocate at Kolkata High Court). The man was extremely petrified. Within fifteen minutes, we got a call from a person who claimed to be the GM,NHAI and he also was very sorry for the trouble we faced due to the truck parking on the highway. He explained that the Odisha ( no more Orissa !) Government has only a few legitimate weigh machines for trucks and the truckers get stranded due to that, and he has himself complained to the Odisha Transport Dept as well as the Chief Minister's office, but nothing has been done. He said he will himself complain to the Governor's office.He also told us,ss the trucks get parked on the highway, on the Odisha side,we cannot file a PIL in Kolkata,we have to do that in Bhubaneshwar. Anyway, we went on with our trip. But I observed that two possible parking lots for trucks are being built on either side of the highway at Jaleshwar. So there is a chance that this highway truck parking may be discontinued in another six months or so,once the parking lots are completed.
Upto Balasore - Few diversions.Few humps.Right after Balasore, there is a railway line to be crossed. Very bad roads on either side of that railway crossing, but that is about 150 meters maximum. Lots of fly-overs are being completed in and after Balasore, so only a few one-ways are to be negotiated.
Upto BBSR - Its a breeze through Bhadrak,then Chandikhole.Usual traffic in Cuttack.Poorly maintained surface over big bridges over the rivers Koakhai,Katjuri and Mahanadi.Usual moderate to heavy traffic in BBSR(I guess it depends on the time of the day)
BBSR - Puri - As I said earlier, this road is being widened and extensive work is being done. Few bottlenecks for that reason to be negotiated. Just keep a lookout for mud-field tractors and huge dump trucks suddenly getting on the road from road-side ditches, after unloading.

For the entire journey,the number of toll booths remains same,as well as the amount of toll to be given.

We stayed in cottages in Hotel Holiday Resort this time. Good ambience, but lots of flies in and around. Service is good,but slow. Good swimming pool but lots of holiday-makers inside can spoil your fun in the pool. Food is quite good.
Its sweltering hot in Puri with too much humidity. Inside Puri town, you almost cannot move about with your car because of too many people, two-wheelers,holy cows and what not on the road. One thing which I think I should mention is power cuts in Puri. They are too frequent and very annoying.

In short it is a good short-holiday destination,only if you accept its shortcomings and limitations.
Old 11th November 2011, 02:04   #34
BHPian

Any idea anybody regarding road conditions now ? I am planning a road trip again around November 19th to 23rd this year
Old 11th November 2011, 18:44   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea anybody regarding road conditions now ? I am planning a road trip again around November 19th to 23rd this year
No update from anyone! Possibly the members of this forum have not used this road very recently! But please do post your observation regarding the condition of the roads after you return, as next month I shall be taking this road to reach a place known as Manguli (near Cuttack), on my way to reach Satkosia gorge and wildlife sanctuary.
Old 12th November 2011, 21:27   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Kona EWay is being patched up, causing huge snarls.
Kolaghat remains what it is.
Haven't gone beyond KGP in the last two months. So no comments.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 28th November 2011, 12:38   #37
BHPian

Recently came back from the Kolkata-Vizag-Araku-Kolkata over the Thanksgiving weekend.

All roads are in good shape, we usually take the Belgharia expressway route to get out of Kolkata.

Only a couple of issues faced during the 2200km odd journey.

One bottleneck is the WB-Orissa border, where parked trucks block the entire roads. There are two options available to cross the border.

1) You take the village road.
2) Juggle between the double roads, wherever possible. But one has to have good ground clearance and be extremely careful.

The other bottleneck is the incomplete section before Barkul, with a couple of railway crossings.

The 4 laning of the Orissa - AP border is complete and is fast.
Old 20th December 2011, 01:49   #38
BHPian

Apologies for such a long gap in writing my recent experiences.Was tied up with few things.

Kona is in a good shape.Except the tarmac over Santragachi Railway bridge which has remain as it was.I did traverse Kona yesterday and went upto Uluberia. From Second Hooghly bridge toll Plaza upto end-of-Kona took me roughly half n hour,the road is now that good.Offcourse Sunday morning sparse traffic was one way responsible.

Highway upto Belda is very good but please be wary of big craters on the concrete surface which crops up infrequently,especially in the middle.On normal metallic roads, craters/potholes are usually visible from a distance because of difference in colors ( whitish craters/potholes on black surface ),especially when you are traveling at a speed in excess of 38 meters / sec ! But on concrete roads you won't notice the difference until its too late,and you can't swerve.

Jaleshwar is in the same pitiful state which I noted in my earlier post. Since I was aware, I took the 'Up' line and faced a barrage of trucks coming towards me, but with blinkers on and hooting frequently, I made my way through the mess. And to top it all, they have a toll plaza write in the middle of that mess.

Road after Jaleshwar has only one or two diversions but are littered with speed-breakers and at times they are six in numbers in tandem. God knows who built them and for what purpose as there is not a single school/infirmary etc nearby. In fact while crossing one such peculiar six-in-line speed-breakers I looked around only to find miles of greenery surrounding the place with cattle grazing.The whole purpose of having speed-breakers and that to so many is defeated,IMO.

Almost all the fly-overs at Balasore has been completed so it was a breeze through except a ubiquitous railway line with ten meters of exceedingly uneven surface ( I won't even call it a road) on its either side. This is just before the huge premises for Birla Tyres start on the left. They are also building a flipin toll plaza at that place,which was yet to start operating.

Bhadrak then Chandikhol then upto Cuttack was a breeze through again. Roads within Cuttack especially on a fly-over that leads to a exit to BBSR has not been repaired I suppose in the last 20 years or so,it is that bad.

Cuttack and BBSR as usual has heavy traffic with snarls cropping up at the roundabouts as they are being either made smaller in size or flyovers are being built with their pillars in the roundabouts.

The expansion of BBSR to Puri road is really a sore thumb. Construction workers with red flag constantly stop traffic to let construction vehicle pass. But work is being done at a blistering pace compared to what we are used to in West BENGAL

Weather in Puri was a pleasant surprise with chilly mornings and very soothing daytime temperature. As it was off season, there was almost negligible rush noted in the hotels, but our hotel Manager confirmed that by 15th of December it would be complete rush till 2nd-3rd January then again a lull period for a week or so,followed by extreme rush in the week having 26th January.

I am attaching a few snaps of good roads. Not too many pictures as I was driving mostly.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata to Puri mid november,guidance please-puri-7.jpg  

Kolkata to Puri mid november,guidance please-puri-7a.jpg  

Kolkata to Puri mid november,guidance please-puri-7b.jpg  

Old 14th February 2013, 00:03   #39
BHPian

Anybody recently went to Puri from Kolkata by car ? Say in the last 3-4 months.
Does anybody know whether up-gradation of the BBSR - Puri stretch has been complete ?
Tolls had been increased at various booths the last time I went and that was exactly one whole year back. I guess it will be more this time too.
Truck traffic at Jaleshwar is still very much present,AFAIK.

Any inputs on this route,anybody ?
Old 14th February 2013, 00:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Anybody recently went to Puri from Kolkata by car ? Say in the last 3-4 months.
Does anybody know whether up-gradation of the BBSR - Puri stretch has been complete ?
Tolls had been increased at various booths the last time I went and that was exactly one whole year back. I guess it will be more this time too.
Truck traffic at Jaleshwar is still very much present,AFAIK.

Any inputs on this route,anybody ?
Construction is on and there is no improvement in road condition between Bhubaneswar and Puri. The authorities aren't giving any attention to the existing road as they are coming up with a 4-lane road with median from Bhubaneswar to Puri. There is no tollgate between Bhubaneswar and Puri.
byomjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 01:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Been there last week of December 2012. The Puri BBSR stretch is incomplete.

But this time while going to Puri we took the SH60 route after Cuttack. You may try it out if you like.

This is the direction.

From NH5, the left turn into SH60 comes about 13.5 kms from right after the Mahanadi bridge (on NH5). A place called Phulnakhara.

After turning into SH60, Charichak crossing will come after 42 kms or so. Continue straight on SH60 for another 11kms or so till you reach Gop.

At Gop (Crossing of SH13) turn left onto SH13 towards Konark.

Although, at this point (at Gop) the GPS navigators will suggest continuing straight into SH60. If you continue straight onto SH60 you will probably encounter the shortest way to Puri (will meet up midway onto the Puri Konark highway), as we did (this is what our GPS Navigator suggested), but the road condition that we saw was beyond imagination and at one point so narrow with drops on both sides, that two cars could not pass each other.

So better to take the longer but much faster and hassle free route through Konark and then to Konark Puri Marine drive to reach Puri.

The side benefits of this is that

1. one will drive by the Sea even before reaching Puri.
  2. bypassed BBSR and its associated traffic and confusions altogether
  3. much cleaner route with good surfacing

Flip side - around 30 additional Kilometers. But that would not be too undesirable given the surface and the low traffic.

Kolkata to Puri mid november,guidance please-untitled1.jpg
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 01:24   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet View Post
Construction is on and there is no improvement in road condition between Bhubaneswar and Puri. The authorities aren't giving any attention to the existing road as they are coming up with a 4-lane road with median from Bhubaneswar to Puri. There is no tollgate between Bhubaneswar and Puri.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Is the entire road from BBSR to Puri under construction ? How much time is usually taken these days to traverse the said distance ? Last March, the road works had started towards BBSR side and near the 'Welcome to Puri' gate near BBSR, but not towards Puri.
Btw, am aware there is no toll gate between BBSR and Puri, as I have been to Puri by car more than 10 times between January 2009 and March 2012 !
Question regarding toll booth was for the stretch between Dhulagarh right upto Cuttack !? Any info on charges ?
Any news about Jaleshwar ?Any other relevant route information byomjeet ?
Old 14th February 2013, 01:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
From NH5, the left turn into SH60 comes about 13.5 kms from right after the Mahanadi bridge (on NH5). A place called Phulnakhara.
Isn't Mahanadi the river and its bridge between Cuttack and BBSR Anirban da ? I always get confused between Kuakhai and Katjudi as well,but Mahanadi is the longest bridge obviously.
In that case AFAIK , distance between BBSR and Cuttack is about 20 odd kms, and thus crossing Mahandi from this side and then travelling 13.5 kms before I take a left turn, wouldn't it be inside the town of BBSR ? How to avoid it then ?

Quote:
After turning into SH60, Charichak crossing will come after 42 kms or so. Continue straight on SH60 for another 11kms or so till you reach Gop.

At Gop (Crossing of SH13) turn left onto SH13 towards Konark.
This stretch is good tarmac ? Would Michelins suffer with their soft rubber compound and softer sidewall on this stretch ?

Quote:
Although, at this point (at Gop) the GPS navigators will suggest continuing straight into SH60. If you continue straight onto SH60 you will probably encounter the shortest way to Puri (will meet up midway onto the Puri Konark highway), as we did (this is what our GPS Navigator suggested), but the road condition that we saw was beyond imagination and at one point so narrow with drops on both sides, that two cars could not pass each other.
Which stretch is this one ? How motorable is it ?

You took your Marengo or the Ikon ? Can you give me a little more details about negotiating Jaleshwar truck traffic and any other route information you think is necessary? Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 08:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't Mahanadi the river and its bridge between Cuttack and BBSR Anirban da ? I always get confused between Kuakhai and Katjudi as well,but Mahanadi is the longest bridge obviously.
In that case AFAIK , distance between BBSR and Cuttack is about 20 odd kms, and thus crossing Mahandi from this side and then travelling 13.5 kms before I take a left turn, wouldn't it be inside the town of BBSR ? How to avoid it then ?

Mahanadi is the longest bridge 2.3 kms (If I am not wrong).

In the order they will fall enroute, first will be Mahanadi Bridge, then you will enter Cuttack, pass through the railway station, then there is another bridge and then will be the Phulnakhara fork to SH60.

So this SH60 turn-off is somewhat midway between Cuttack and BBSR and comes up just as the traffic starts to thicken.

Refer the image below

Kolkata to Puri mid november,guidance please-untitled2.jpg

Quote:
This stretch is good tarmac ? Would Michelins suffer with their soft rubber compound and softer sidewall on this stretch ?
Good tarmac with just 2-3 speedbreakers. Almost like the stretch between Nandakumar and Digha in width (with lower traffic), and in December the surface was good.

Quote:
Which stretch is this one ? How motorable is it ?

You took your Marengo or the Ikon ? Can you give me a little more details about negotiating Jaleshwar truck traffic and any other route information you think is necessary? Thanks
I took my Ikon. That Stretch is too bad, will not even subject my Marengo to it.

Will write about Jaleshwar avoidance, but as it turned out, it did not give me much of a benefit. Will write more about it later, unless you are in a hurry!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 10:53   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Mahanadi is the longest bridge 2.3 kms (If I am not wrong).

So this SH60 turn-off is somewhat midway between Cuttack and BBSR and comes up just as the traffic starts to thicken.

Will write about Jaleshwar avoidance, but as it turned out, it did not give me much of a benefit. Will write more about it later, unless you are in a hurry!
I would need the information in about 10 days times. Please take your time, but I need full details including your insight too.

I haven't ever avoided Jaleshwar truck traffic for the 10 times I have been to Puri in the last few years, but one never knows what lies for the 11th time ! I would perhaps do what I have been doing and that is go to the other side,drive through the maze,past the toll gate and then come out .
But I read a thread of our samarjit dhar here somewhere and seen his superb on-car videos too showing the trouble he faced while crossing J.
I have a feeling though like you said here,that Jaleshwar avoidance doesn't offer much of a benefit. I just want to know that route incase I land up in trouble.

Take your time dada, but provide a comprehensive route update like you always do.

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 14th February 2013 at 10:55.
Closed Thread