Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th July 2017, 19:08   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Just got back from my trip. Here is the update on this route.

Took the 4 lane NH till Channarayapatna, right turn towards Tarikere. Tarikere-->Lakkavalli-->Umblibail--> Muttinkoppa. Roads are awesome. Fresh tarmac, since it was a weekday there was absolutely no traffic.
Yes, we too took this route on our way back from Tirthahalli. Good roads throughout. This route saves atl east half hour as it is fairly straight road and bye pass Shivamogga. The number of road humps have increased between Channarayapatna and Arsikere. Fortunately well signaged.

There is a big depression on the road before the railway level crossing while going towards Arsikere. It is a bit deceiving. Need to be careful.

If you are going to Tirthahalli for the first time, go via Shivamogga at least in one direction. You will get a chance to see Gajanur dam and lovely backwaters.
Fauji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 14:30   #77

Default Re: Bangalore - Thirthahalli : Route Queries

Hi,

I am planning to go to Thirthalli during mid August with family and will be spending some time roaming around. Plan is to start on 12th August and come back on 15th Aug. Going through the current log I could see there are multiple ways to reach to Thirthalli and so I am bit confused now. Should I by pass Shimoga to reach Thirthalli directly or go through Shimoga to visit Gajanur dam on the way. So I feel this should be the good way. What do u suggest ?

Bangalore-Nelamangala-CR Patna-Arsikere-Shimoga-Tirthahalli

Also what would be the best route and considering the food option and scenery along the drive ?

Thanks for your response.
SNayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 17:58   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
Also what would be the best route and considering the food option and scenery along the drive ?
Last weekend I had drove down from near to Thirthahalli to Bangalore. I would consider the selection between different routes as based on personal choice since there is no much difference in actual time.

The locals suggested me to take the following route since my start point was bit South of Thirthahalli, from Kolavara resort -

Option 1: Koppa - NR Pura - Bhadravathi - Kadur - Arsikere - Channarayapatana bye-pass - Nelamangala.

Other suggestions were -

Option 2: Thirthahalli - Shivamoga - Channagiri - Chitradurga - Tumkur - I usually avoid traveling through Tumkur due to mad traffic on Tumkur - Nelamangla route especially on a long weekend. However, compared to last time I took Channagiri route couple of years back, someone who traveled recently mentioned that the roads are in good shape now. Plus, you can visit Pushkarani with a small deviation if you are interested. Location

Add to that, Thirthahalli - Shivamoga section is a beauty.

Option 3: Thirthahalli - Shivamoga - Bhadravathi - Kadur - Arsikere - Channarayapatana bye-pass - Nelamangala. This was what our homestay owner was suggesting, saying as the fastest route to Bangalore.

Option 4: Which I tool last weekend from Kolavara resort : Koppa - Jayapura - Balehole - Banakal - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Channarayapatana bye-pass - Nelamangala.

It took me around 06:30 hours of drive with a 10 mins break for filling diesel at Hassan bye-pass. The reason I opted for this route was since I am familiar with roads bast Banakal and since I wanted to avoid Chitradurga - Tumkur route on a weekend.

Out of all the roads mentioned, my selection would be option 3 since I somehow have a liking to Kadur - Arsikere route since its a wide 2 lane road.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 22:34   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Out of all the roads mentioned, my selection would be option 3 since I somehow have a liking to Kadur - Arsikere route since its a wide 2 lane road.
Thanks a lot mpksuhas for your quick response. Even I think option 3 will work out for me considering the good food option that I can get on this route and I can visit few places on my way from Shimoga to Thirthalli. Also I heard that Shimoga to Thirthalli route is a delight to drive.

Also I must admit that my trip to Thirthalli is inspired from your travelogue which I happen to read sometime back while exploring places to visit in monsoon. The narration and pictures in your travelogue seal the deal for my trip to this place. Thanks
SNayak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 14:46   #80
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Plus, you can visit Pushkarani with a small deviation if you are interested.
Thanks for sharing this
When you say small deviation, do you mean from the Chitradurga-Hollalakere road (old NH13) or from the NH 48 ? From gmaps, looks like a turn off to Sirigere is there about 9-10Km from the Muruga Mutt junction on the NH 48 (Bangalore-Pune road).

Are there any signages to locate the turn off from Hollalakere road if that one is better ?

Last edited by NPV : 27th July 2017 at 14:49.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote