Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th November 2008, 08:41   #76
BHPian

Hats off Sudev, if this had happened to me, I would have gone mad. I dont think i would have been able to get out of this one because i dont have a clue about how the car actually works.

Now i think its about time i understand the functioning of the car.
Locomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 10:31   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
Hats off Sudev, if this had happened to me, I would have gone mad. I dont think i would have been able to get out of this one because i dont have a clue about how the car actually works.

Now i think its about time i understand the functioning of the car.
Absolutely important requirement. It is a good idea to go through the manuals, read through many forums about the known issues and solutions etc.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 10:40   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Absolutely important requirement. It is a good idea to go through the manuals, read through many forums about the known issues and solutions etc.
That's why it is important for one to see atleast the ongoing service at service station in-front of him so as one can understand the basics of his car.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 11:10   #79
Senior - BHPian

@ laluks,

I have always maintained that it is risky to take a car with low GC to the Himalayas where roads are varied & broken. I am sure that many have done the trip in their cars. I saw many Alto's & a Skoda octavia heading to Leh.
While this is not an attempt to discourage you, and certainly driving in your own car is always a better feeling, i still feel that for those who can afford it, hiring an suv from Delhi is a better option.
Fixing skidplates is certainly a good idea and so is making necessary preparations. But look at it this way. When you drive an suv into the hills, roads are not much of a concern and it allows you to enjoy the hills better than you would while bothering about the small bumps & craters on the road.
ON that note, if you do not have an suv, if you hire one with a driver, budget withstanding, you have all the time to enjoy the sights & views you came there for in the first place.
Though driving a car/suv does give us a sense of adventure & fulfillment of personal achievement.
If you have however decided to venture to the Himalayas in your Civic, then go well prepared with ample patience in your boot.
cheers:
J

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 5th November 2008 at 11:11.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 13:10   #80
BHPian

Civic would look good on the hill ranges of Leh. But then to get it up there we should be fitting it with those monster tyres, so that we have a decent ground clearance!
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 12:11   #81
Senior - BHPian

This is an excellent thread. Any person looking to go to Leh - Ladakh should refer to this. A trip like this in my car is on my wish list for long. Hopefully should be able to do it next year or the year after.

I will be doing it in a Verna or a Captiva or a Endeavour

As far as the Civic goes, I am sure it should be no problem except for a few bad parts where the Civic is likely to scrape it's bottom. But then you are doing the journey of a life time, you cannot expect slight hurdles along the way. The Civic is a very Capable car and Technology Laden. GC is an issue but not such a big one that it cannot go there.

I have seen people taking Accord's / Merc's & Corrollas there. A lot of Young People go there in groups every year in all these Luxury Cars. I have never heard of any instance where they have found themsleves in a ' No Win Win ' Situation.

The biggest factor I feel to do such a trip in a Civic will be FE. You will have to carry quite a lot of Fuel with you. The Civic's FE is not brilliant and you can expect no more than 5 - 6 kpl on those mountain roads.

Also your driving has to be tops and Patience has to be a lot. At times there are Jams that take forever on these narrow hilly roads.

I went last year to Manali in My Hyundai Accent, I went up to Rohtang without a problem. See photo below -

Name:  DSC00170.JPG
Views: 699
Size:  136.4 KB
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 13:41   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Though driving a car/suv does give us a sense of adventure & fulfillment of personal achievement.
If you have however decided to venture to the Himalayas in your Civic, then go well prepared with ample patience in your boot.
That, Jay, is the essense of what you have said.
Let me become rhetorical and ask a simple question of you: Would you ever go there in a taxi? I think you would not!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 20:56   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
This is an excellent thread. Any person looking to go to Leh - Ladakh should refer to this. A trip like this in my car is on my wish list for long. Hopefully should be able to do it next year or the year after.

I will be doing it in a Verna or a Captiva or a Endeavour

As far as the Civic goes, I am sure it should be no problem except for a few bad parts where the Civic is likely to scrape it's bottom. But then you are doing the journey of a life time, you cannot expect slight hurdles along the way. The Civic is a very Capable car and Technology Laden. GC is an issue but not such a big one that it cannot go there.

I have seen people taking Accord's / Merc's & Corrollas there. A lot of Young People go there in groups every year in all these Luxury Cars. I have never heard of any instance where they have found themsleves in a ' No Win Win ' Situation.

The biggest factor I feel to do such a trip in a Civic will be FE. You will have to carry quite a lot of Fuel with you. The Civic's FE is not brilliant and you can expect no more than 5 - 6 kpl on those mountain roads.

Also your driving has to be tops and Patience has to be a lot. At times there are Jams that take forever on these narrow hilly roads.

I went last year to Manali in My Hyundai Accent, I went up to Rohtang without a problem. See photo below -

Attachment 67561
Thats improving the confidence on Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_legend View Post
Civic would look good on the hill ranges of Leh. But then to get it up there we should be fitting it with those monster tyres, so that we have a decent ground clearance!
Hopefully not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
That, Jay, is the essense of what you have said.
Let me become rhetorical and ask a simple question of you: Would you ever go there in a taxi? I think you would not!
. Anup you stole words from my mouth.
Old 7th November 2008, 23:33   #84
BHPian

no. never. A taxi?? never. I want the drivers seat!!

Last edited by Locomotive : 7th November 2008 at 23:34.
Locomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2008, 23:39   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Are the roads wide enough for two vehicles? How narrow are the turns??

I understand that there are two possibilities to Leh.

1. Manali - Leh
2. Srinagar - Leh - mostly good roads.

Manali - Leh. Is the roads always that bad all the way till Leh, or is it at some stretches near the passes. Is this also tough because of the altitude we have to climb? How many streams you have to cross? etc. How many days are taken to cross this road, as to take care of the altitude, sight seeing and safety?

Which is less difficult? to climb from manali to Leh, or descend from Leh to manali
Old 8th November 2008, 00:33   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Beyond spacers (i'd presume, no exp with them there) and least load, the rest is academic. plesae search manali leh altitude profile for answers

and condition changes all the time, freak landslides/accidents can happen anywhere but srinagar route is typically way way better for car
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 02:08   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Add Accent to the list of cars that I have seen doing this route. A newly married couple from Delhi did this is 2005(6?) Raid. And they were finishers with creditable position too!

Arree bhai sirf baat hi karo ge yaan sach jane ki tamana hai?
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 08:14   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Arree bhai sirf baat hi karo ge yaan sach jane ki tamana hai?
Sach janne ki tamaana aur himmat suru se hi hai. Is travel ko ithna hype kiya hua hai ki, pehle thoda gyaan prapt kar lete hain. Agar koyi doosara gaadi hai to koi bhi dikhat nahin hai, Civic hein na, isliye dhoda khabrata hoon.

Magar mein Tem BHP at Leh ke liye abhi wait kar raha hoon. Is year season to gaya naa. Next year ka plaans hai.

That's it for my hindi .

There are a lot of questions - but am I bothering you guys too much.

My intentions with this thread was to collect all information in one place, for the help of poor guys like us . Please give as much informations as you guys know.

Whether I do or not is immaterial, this should be a ready reckoner. Anybody who wants to do this trip will have the same questions I have asked, probably they would have got good answers from this as we are discussing with a low car.
Old 8th November 2008, 08:21   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

"Am I bothering you too much?" - No. It was just a dig at you so as to make your resolve stronger.

Also see parallel thread about Team-BHP Leh road "show"
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 09:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Which is less difficult? to climb from manali to Leh, or descend from Leh to manali
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
plesae search manali leh altitude profile for answers
Laluks, there is up-down all the way as you cross many ranges of the mountains.
Here is an approximate altitude profile to help you understand the route better:

Manali - 6700 ft
Rohtang - 13050 ft
Keylong/Jispa/Darcha - all at about 11000 ft
Baralacha La - 16000 ft
Sarchu - 14000 ft
Lachalang La - 16600 ft
Pang - 15000 ft
Moray plains - 15400 ft
Taglang La - 17500 ft
Leh - 11500 ft

As you can see from this, it makes eminent sense to do Manali - Keylong/Jispa/Darcha on the first day and take a night halt there.
Next day, a marathon session to Leh, so that a night halt at high altitude is not required.
This certainly is the best plan to prevent AMS issues.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote